Foal Monday

Abi90

Visit site
@Asha they look amazing!

Percy is having a photo shoot with my photographer friend tomorrow. Then he has his review with farrier on Monday. I am hoping for some more freedom for him, it’s horrible him being cooped up when he wants to play x

Asha

Visit site
@Asha they look amazing!

Percy is having a photo shoot with my photographer friend tomorrow. Then he has his review with farrier on Monday. I am hoping for some more freedom for him, it’s horrible him being cooped up when he wants to play x

Thanks Abi90. Aria looked a lot better plaited up and turned out properly, but I just wanted to get them back before it got warm.

Why do people want to rain on your parade ? I actually had a comment telling me it was too warm to take them . I mean.. id never put mine at risk. Venue was 20mins max from me, my box has a fan/cooler in it, and it was 24 degrees. Really disappointed with some people.

Anyhow .. i hope you get the go ahead for more turnout, hes going to love being out more. Fair play to you though, youve stuck to the plan. You now deserve an easier ride ! I look forward to your photos

Abi90

Visit site
The foal cuff is off. As his limb is now straight the farrier thought it was more of a hindrance than a help at this point. Next job is this strengthen the ligaments round the joint, so he’s getting trimmed every week and going out for longer and longer increments and he now needs to use it to strengthen. Still a way to go until complete freedom though

He stood like a lamb for the farrier for his first trim as well ❤️

4EAD4B20-6EC2-40BD-A19B-9D46843A1CCD.jpeg6E015CCE-80D7-4875-BE6C-F0EB4EE26CBA.jpegEC2E9CEC-4FD4-411E-B81A-0DF8704544C4.jpeg

Abi90

Visit site
ahh bless him. he's on his way now :)

He’s a bit wobbly on that leg, as all his support has been removed, but he was more confident on it within 20 minutes. So fingers crossed we see speedy recovery

I just feel so bad for him cooped up. It’s also a bit stressful as a first time foal Mum but he’s had early and regular intervention so he should be fine

Abi90

Visit site
Bit early as I have a friend down from this evening so will probably miss tomorrow.

little video of a wannabe dressage diva strutting his stuff in the field

I was so pleased with him yesterday. Looked like he had made a lot of progress. He was landing and standing flat.

Today I swear he came in walking on the side of his hoof again and wasn’t standing as straight. I don’t know if he was just tired from his 1.5 hour long field antics or that I’m overthinking it. Farrier is back tomorrow so will have to discuss if a foal cuff needs to go back on.

Asha

Visit site
I bet he stays steel grey for ages ! Beautiful colour .
So pleased he’s straightened up . You must be over the moon .

Abi90

Visit site
I bet he stays steel grey for ages ! Beautiful colour .
So pleased he’s straightened up . You must be over the moon .

I think he will. His Dad still has black legs, mane and tail at 14 so he will grey out slowly.

Delighted, hoping he can go out in the big field very soon. It was amazing would taking the foal cuff off did, straightened him out more quickly.

Abi90

Visit site
Good news today. Farrier is super happy with Percy’s progress and he’s gone one more check a week on Friday and he should be freeeeee

which can’t come soon enough as his mother needs the grass and he needs to go to the big field with stock type fencing with the horse mesh, as he’s worked out where the electricity comes from on the electric fence and unclips it. So he now can’t go out unless I literally stand in the field with him!

Asha

Visit site
3890A52C-8F64-4230-A079-D455F258AE28.jpegSorry I’m a bit late this week .

As she’s now reached the grand old age of 3 1/2 months we’ve started to feed her in a different stable . Her mum Aria gets fed up of her when food is about so thought we should see how she takes to it .
Both are much happier being fed apart , so today I popped her in a stable for a few mins with some Haylage . She was in no rush to go back in with mum ?89D9311B-072A-40F6-83F7-EFD1F62DCCE0.jpeg

She loves her neighbours, grandma to one side and Frank to the other

Asha

Visit site
Here’s a cute one of Amara meeting Finn . I must take some more photos this week , as at the rate she’s growing she won’t be cute for long .
I stupidly did the string test ( I know your not meant to do it until they are six months but I thought at least it would give me a minimum) well I wish i hadn’t . Since she’s been born all I’ve heard is that she’s a big foal . She was a smidge over 10hds born , and is now 13.2 . String test suggests 17.1 . Feel gutted . How on earth did we get that when mum is 16.1 and grandma is 15.2 . Maybe she won’t get to that height and be a weird looking leggy monster .

6ECBEB79-E02C-4758-8429-1C467521FD3C.jpeg738C4921-AFBC-4146-95CA-5B144AC5A111.jpeg

Abi90

Visit site
Here’s a cute one of Amara meeting Finn . I must take some more photos this week , as at the rate she’s growing she won’t be cute for long .
I stupidly did the string test ( I know your not meant to do it until they are six months but I thought at least it would give me a minimum) well I wish i hadn’t . Since she’s been born all I’ve heard is that she’s a big foal . She was a smidge over 10hds born , and is now 13.2 . String test suggests 17.1 . Feel gutted . How on earth did we get that when mum is 16.1 and grandma is 15.2 . Maybe she won’t get to that height and be a weird looking leggy monster .

View attachment 77856View attachment 77857

Just don’t measure her and you won’t know. You’ll not realise how big she is as you’ll see her every day. That’s my plan as I keep getting told Percy is a big foal.

JJS

Visit site

View attachment 77856View attachment 77857

Try not to worry too much! I think everyone who has a foal experiences this same panic. I remember string testing Flower and it saying she was going to be around the 16hh mark, which was not what I wanted! She was also a big foal, and everyone commented on it, which did nothing to lessen my worry.

Turned out she just got most of her growing out of the way early on and is a little over 15hh at four, which is the same height she’s been for a long time. While she might gain some extra height, I don’t see her shooting up another hand between now and eight - I think we’ll get two inches tops. I know it can happen, but she had a great start and looks quite neat and finished.

I think often their mums just do a good job and it tricks you into thinking you’re going to have a monster horse on your hands, when in actual fact, most of them end up somewhere between their parents ??‍♀️