Foods That Are Bad For Dogs

LD&S

Visit site
Chocolate is very bad for our dogs as it is MY chocolate
smile.gif

We feed our dogs raw and complete,but not at the same time.
they have raw in the morning and a handful of complete in the eve.
All our dogs are in good condition and reguarly compete and do flyball and athletic events.
Each to their own and what works for mine might not work for another,all our dogs are fed different amounts and different complete.
We feed bones but not small ones, as we have canine hoovers, where everything gets vacumed up without touching the sides lol

I have found that if the bones are not eaten in the one sitting then they tend to go hard and thats when they splinter.

Mel

I'm so pleased to see I'm not the only one feeding a mixed diet of raw and processed. The dogs are definitely healthy and happy and we have the best of both worlds, the benefits of raw and the ease of processed.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My lot love peanut butter on toast. I have to save them a piece from my breakfast. It always gets stuck to the roof of their mouths!

SpringArising

Visit site
Mine is also fed on 'human' food (which is a strange term - food is food).

A typical meal for him is cooked liver/chicken/beef, with either wholegrain rice/pasta, (cooked) carrots and green beans. He also gets tuna, tinned fish in oil, raw/scrambled eggs (and shell), cottage cheese and oats. His 'snacks' or 'puddings' are things like plain natural yoghurt with bran flakes.

It's sad that some dogs are given the same thing day in, day out.

I have not yet had any issues with an upset stomach and his breath never smells either.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
We have discovered that jam and peanut butter doesn't agree with our dog. We found this out when my little sister fed her toast to him the other lunchtime...:eek:

in case you don't know some brands of peanut butter now contain xylitol which is toxic for dogs.

as an aside, my setter as a youngster jumped up 5 ft and got down the peanut feeder in the garden. ate a couple of kilos. the vet described the outcome as 'hose-piping' -which was very apt :D

Visit site
in case you don't know some brands of peanut butter now contain xylitol which is toxic for dogs.

as an aside, my setter as a youngster jumped up 5 ft and got down the peanut feeder in the garden. ate a couple of kilos. the vet described the outcome as 'hose-piping' -which was very apt :D

Thanks for the head's up! So far we have kept my sister's lunch away from the dog and have encouraged her to give him some treats from his treat tin!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Please don’t say such sweeping statements. Only the ones contains xylitol have been mentioned as dangerous. I use peanut butter regularly in kongs, I’m just careful to choose the right one.

ryanolivas

New User
Visit site
My dog eats chicken bones twice a week since I'm near from a restaurant so everytime I went home I am making sure that I'm bringing chicken bones. So far my dog has no health issues so i think it's not included.

JorgeD

New User
Visit site
People are obsessed with thinking a dog needs a balanced diet. Apart from eating fruit off of bushes, wild dogs purely eat meat/protein so what is balanced about their diet? The funny thing is the majority of mnufactured dog foods contain less than 30%. I wouldn't feed my horses meat so I don't feed my dogs cereals.

We used to eat bones, hence many peoples appendixes bursting through lack of use, yet you never hear a nutritionalist saying we need bones as part of a so called balanced diet. What we orginally survived on is what our digestive systems are are built for, the Inuits and other tribes worldwide are fine examples. We and dogs have not evolved quickly enough to cope with digesting cereals hence so many dogs having an intolerence to it.

As I said, I'm not saying to everyone don't turn your horses out because look what happened to my 2y.o. Accidents are accidents and I doubt very much...that it was a chicken bone that got lodged.

If a dog in the wild eats it prey say Rabbit they will eat the contents of the stomach of the rabbits what do Rabbits eat

Kay Burton

Visit site
I have had neighbors who fed the dog with boiled peelings from vegetables and other waste. It was terrible. The dog must have good nutrition, then the animal will be healthy and strong. Vitamins should be given as needed. I feed my dog natural food. I give bones to keep my jaws strong.

T_Zam

New User
Visit site
I have had neighbors who fed the dog with boiled peelings from vegetables and other waste. It was terrible. The dog must have good nutrition, then the animal will be healthy and strong. Vitamins should be given as needed. I feed my dog natural food. I give bones to keep my jaws strong.
My St. Bernard had been eating potatoes with skin for a while. I guess my daughter was just tired of peeling that amount of potatoes for this beast every day. Hopefully, I was told that it may cause kidney problems. It only looks like St. Bernards are invincible because of the size. Just checked the information, though. Apparently, " if your dog gets a lot of oxalates (like if he eats half his weight in skin-on potatoes–which is a lot!) that might cause some kidney problems. "

Kay Burton

Visit site
My St. Bernard had been eating potatoes with skin for a while. I guess my daughter was just tired of peeling that amount of potatoes for this beast every day. Hopefully, I was told that it may cause kidney problems. It only looks like St. Bernards are invincible because of the size. Just checked the information, though. Apparently, " if your dog gets a lot of oxalates (like if he eats half his weight in skin-on potatoes–which is a lot!) that might cause some kidney problems. "
They only fed the dog cleansers. He ate all this very badly, was skinny. Attempts to reason with the neighbors were unsuccessful. We ourselves give the dogs vegetables, but they also have meat in their diet.

Kay Burton

Visit site
Only vegetables? Really not good, obviously.
I agree that this is terrible. My cat loves melon, my dog loves plums. But this does not mean that these products should be their main food and nothing more. Not to mention feeding the animal with waste and keeping the animal so that there is where to put this waste.

horseman1985

Visit site
I'm going to see if I can get Admin to sticky this post so feel free to add anymore that aren't on this initital list (I found it online)
grin.gif

* Onions and garlic
* Chocolate- Chocolate contains Theobromine, which can raise your dogs heart rate to beat abnormally. Can cause seizures that can lead to coma. Baking/dark chocolate has more of the chemical so it's more dangerous, but avoid all chocolate at all costs.
* Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts
* Pear pits, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pits which contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning
* Potato peels and green potatoes
* Rhubarb leaves
* Mouldy and Spoiled foods (I recently heard of a dog that died eating moldy cheese!Be very careful)
* Alcohol
* Yeast dough
* Table scraps (high fat) and sweets
* Coffee and tea (caffeine)
* Hops (used in making beer)
* Tomatoe leaves and the stems
* Broccoli (in large quantities)
* Raisins and grapes
* Chicken and pork bones (can splinter and cause harm internally)
* Rawhide Chewies (a lot of people don't know this one..these are bleached with chemicals and can be unsafe)
* Wheat/grains- many dogs don't tolerate these well
Fish is bad for dogs because of parasites in it.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Puss car has started refusing fish unless it’s tinned sardines/mackerel in tomato sauce. Fussy little git. We had an epic puke fest when I overfed raw salmón one day, Bear gets little and often.

chrisp85

New User
Visit site
Glad I found this. I am currently considering trying my dog on Taste Toppers from a company called Applaws. Here are the ingredients within the Toppers. Are these all safe for my dog? She is a very delicate soul when it comes to her food but has recently gone off her usual diet. Tried other such food in the past including Raw but if I am honest I got spooked by some horror stories and didn't stick at it. On the topic of real food, I had a Jack Russell when I was just a kid who actually got pretty sick eating some human foods so worth taking extra caution. Thanks for advice in advance