Foods That Are Bad For Dogs

melindaregner

New User
www.trainpetdog.com
Wings are fine as long as they are not cooked or fed anywhere near kibble. I must have fed thousands over the last 13 years or so and no problems, though I always feed them stretched out and not folded like you get them from the shops as my greedy B's will try and swallow them whole instead of at least crunching the once! My sister's 14 year old Husky still manages her wings with a bit of help, she has been fed them all her life.

My now turned GSD mafia sister, when she started training her puppy could often be seen dragging a chicken wing across the forest on a piece of string and hiding it in a bush for the dog to track! Now she makes my brother in law run off and hide!!!

Nice!! thanks for the info(s). Maybe it was only me( or my dog) who experienced accident about the chicken wings. Anyway, the thread is not about the chicken wings. LOL!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
After reading this thread ( well some of it, I got bored after page 3) I have no idea how my dogs reached 16 and 14, and still going strong hahahaha... infact I am lucky all my doggies reached an old age... am sure ppl fuss too much!

rosies

New User
Visit site
Hello, everyone, I'm new on here and have been reading this huge post with interest as a few days ago I started my 2 springer spaniels on a raw diet. I'm basing it losely on the prey diet with a bit of BARF thrown in!

My reason for doing so was I've not had a lot of luck with dogs over the years having lost a 2 year old Golden Retriever with stomach cancer, and a 5 year old GSD with bloat (he survived the first time as I was there) the second time he was in boarding kennels and was found dead in the morning:(. Theres been a few other dogs with problems that I'm starting to think may have not been there if fed a better diet.

I've always fed good quality dry food and never had overweight dogs. At the moment, I have a healthy 10 year old ESS bitch and a not healthy 5 yr old ESS dog, who has hip displaysia and Rheumatoid Arthritis. He is on NSAIDs and Tramadol as well as joint supplement.

Since starting them on a raw diet on Wednesday, the male has stopped doing 5 or 6 huge smelly poos a day, he looks happier, is much livelier, the females smelly old dog breath went in 24 hours. Its very early days but they love it and as for choking, bones splintering etc I think it is important to feed the appropriate size for your dog and supervise to see that they are chewing them. My female used to 'hoover' up her dry food but now chews her chicken pieces (probably why teeth clean!). I changed straight over to this and have had no sickness, diarrhoea or problems. Then again mine are typical horse owner dogs and eat anything they can, horse poos especially at the moment are great favourites.....don't think I need to worry about them not getting any vegetation!

Be interested for any opinions experience others have had.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Hello, everyone, I'm new on here and have been reading this huge post with interest as a few days ago I started my 2 springer spaniels on a raw diet. I'm basing it losely on the prey diet with a bit of BARF thrown in!

My reason for doing so was I've not had a lot of luck with dogs over the years having lost a 2 year old Golden Retriever with stomach cancer, and a 5 year old GSD with bloat (he survived the first time as I was there) the second time he was in boarding kennels and was found dead in the morning:(. Theres been a few other dogs with problems that I'm starting to think may have not been there if fed a better diet.

I've always fed good quality dry food and never had overweight dogs. At the moment, I have a healthy 10 year old ESS bitch and a not healthy 5 yr old ESS dog, who has hip displaysia and Rheumatoid Arthritis. He is on NSAIDs and Tramadol as well as joint supplement.

Since starting them on a raw diet on Wednesday, the male has stopped doing 5 or 6 huge smelly poos a day, he looks happier, is much livelier, the females smelly old dog breath went in 24 hours. Its very early days but they love it and as for choking, bones splintering etc I think it is important to feed the appropriate size for your dog and supervise to see that they are chewing them. My female used to 'hoover' up her dry food but now chews her chicken pieces (probably why teeth clean!). I changed straight over to this and have had no sickness, diarrhoea or problems. Then again mine are typical horse owner dogs and eat anything they can, horse poos especially at the moment are great favourites.....don't think I need to worry about them not getting any vegetation!

Be interested for any opinions experience others have had.

Hey there, post this as a seperate thread (just copy and paste it) then people will notice it, nobody reads this stick much xx

jenniejester1

New User
Visit site
My naughty dog stole some macademia nuts unbeknown to me. He lost the use of his back legs. I thought he had had a stroke!!

He was fine by the next day phew

He also ate some rat poison and had to be rushed to the vet for a stomach pump.

He continually eats anything vile he can find and generally throws it back up again..........nice!!!

and a box of choccies one night......Roses so not much cocoa content!!

Luckily he has survived all these events and is very healthy!!!

onceuponatime

Visit site
During the summer my dog eats the marigold heads off the flowers that my dad has planted - does anyone know what these flowers have in them that makes them so attractive and of course whether they can cause any harm. He will eat one after the other as if they are steak!

OakBarn

New User
Visit site
Can we remind dog owners, with Christmas coming up, that Brussel Sprouts are also a big no no. We have been recently been informed by the poisons agency to watch out for this.

We have also seen dogs for bulb (plant variety) poisoning this week, dogs will eat anything, especially those Labradors!

rucky

Visit site
I'm going to see if I can get Admin to sticky this post so feel free to add anymore that aren't on this initital list (I found it online)
grin.gif

* Onions and garlic
* Chocolate- Chocolate contains Theobromine, which can raise your dogs heart rate to beat abnormally. Can cause seizures that can lead to coma. Baking/dark chocolate has more of the chemical so it's more dangerous, but avoid all chocolate at all costs.
* Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts
* Pear pits, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pits which contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning
* Potato peels and green potatoes
* Rhubarb leaves
* Mouldy and Spoiled foods (I recently heard of a dog that died eating moldy cheese!Be very careful)
* Alcohol
* Yeast dough
* Table scraps (high fat) and sweets
* Coffee and tea (caffeine)
* Hops (used in making beer)
* Tomatoe leaves and the stems
* Broccoli (in large quantities)
* Raisins and grapes
* Chicken and pork bones (can splinter and cause harm internally)
* Rawhide Chewies (a lot of people don't know this one..these are bleached with chemicals and can be unsafe)
* Wheat/grains- many dogs don't tolerate these well

This must be considered sticky post! It's good to know all those Bad foods for dogs! I've known some cases that chocolate can cause death to dogs!

Dotty123

Visit site
I think the garlic is wrong as my two dogs eat liver and garlic treats which i buy in, and i have never had a problem feeding them.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think the garlic is wrong as my two dogs eat liver and garlic treats which i buy in, and i have never had a problem feeding them.

In moderation, is ok, but that and onion in large amounts can oxidise red blood cells in canines and is therefore very dangerous, in large amounts.

It may also exacerbate skin conditions in some dogs.

Dotty123

Visit site
In moderation, is ok, but that and onion in large amounts can oxidise red blood cells in canines and is therefore very dangerous, in large amounts.

I asked the lady who makes the treats how much garlic she puts in the liver & garlic training treats and she said only a small amount, so that's ok then :)

NothingVenture

New User
Visit site
On the whole garlic thing, yes it is safe in small doses, but I have it on good authority (from a very, very experienced and sensible sighthound-rescue lady over here in Ireland), that to be effective as a flea repellant, it would have to be administered in very much larger doses than that. So I really can't see the point in feeding it at all. It's either poisonous or useless.

lab

New User
myyellowlab.com
Nice list and good information on this post. i saw some replies saying chicken bones are fine...my reply is its fine until your dog dies or has serious damage to his internal parts due to a bone that didnt went down right . bones are dengerus even to humens. dont feed your dog bones.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Lab, plenty of us feed bones (RAW bones) with no problem for many years without our dogs carking, and will continue to do so :)
It's what they're designed to eat, meat and bone, not biscuits. Look at their teeth if you don't believe me.
Horses die from laminitis but nobody says DON'T FEED HORSES ON GRASS!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Nice list and good information on this post. i saw some replies saying chicken bones are fine...my reply is its fine until your dog dies or has serious damage to his internal parts due to a bone that didnt went down right . bones are dengerus even to humens. dont feed your dog bones.

Seriously?! My lot have been eating chicken carcasses for three years with zero issues. Obviously, don't feed cooked bones ever.

Visit site
My dog eat onion (raw) out of the bin a few years ago and had very chronic diahorea(however you spell it) but he was fine. So yeah just to confirm onion is not good for dogs and always keep it out of reach!

matt1984

New User
Visit site
Hi,

I thought members of the forum would like to know about good food for dogs - luxury holistic dogfood brand Green Dog Food has launched a new try before you buy promotion called the Taste Test Challenge, offering a seven-day supply of dog food in return for customer feedback.

If interested, you can find out more information by visiting their Facebook page and clicking on the Taste Test Challenge tab: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Green-Dog-Holistic-Health-Food-for-Dogs.

Arthur-Badger-And Me

Visit site
The ones I know of are rhubarb, onions, garlic, chives, spinach, beetroot, mushrooms, macadamia nuts, caffeine, raisins and sultanas, grapes, chocolate, alcohol, avocado, yeast dough, bones, corn on the cob, milk and The artificial sweetener xylitol

Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine (a bit like caffeine) that is poisonous to dogs. The amount of theobromine differs in the different types of chocolate (dark chocolate has the most in it). Theobromine mainly affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys. Signs of theobromine poisoning will occur from 4-24hours following ingestion and will vary depending on the amount of chocolate (theobromine) your dog has eaten. You may see vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, hyperactivity and seizures. Theobromine doses in the region of 100-150 mg/kg bodyweight are toxic to dogs. There is no antidote to theobromine. In most cases your vet will make your dog vomit. Other treatments will depend on the signs your dog is showing. They may need intravenous fluids (a drip), medication to control heart rate, blood pressure and seizure activity (fits).

Caffeine
Like chocolate, caffeine also contains stimulants, as this substance is found in the fruit of the plant that is used to make coffee. Dogs are more sensitive to the effects of caffeine than people. A couple of laps of tea or coffee will not do any harm, but the ingestion of moderate amounts of coffee grounds or tea bags can lead to serious problems. Signs are similar to chocolate toxicity and treatment is broadly similar.

Onions, Garlic, Chives
These vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal (stomach and gut) irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage. Although cats are more susceptible, dogs are also at risk if a large enough amount is consumed.
Onions are particularly toxic and signs of poisoning occur a few days after your dog has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.

Alcohol
Alcohol is significantly more toxic to dogs than to humans. When consumed, alcoholic beverages and alcoholic food products may cause vomiting, diarrhoea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death. So, remember to keep alcoholic beverages well out of reach of your dog!

Avocado
A substance called Persin that is contained in the leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs. In addition birds and rodents are particularly sensitive and serious reactions such as the development of congestion, difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation around the heart can result.

Grapes & Raisins
The toxic substance that is contained within grapes and raisins is unknown; however these fruits can cause kidney failure. Dogs that already have certain health problems may have an even more serious reaction so this is certainly one to avoid.

Macadamia Nuts
Within 12 hours of ingestion macadamia nuts can cause dogs to experience weakness, depression, tremors, vomiting and hyperthermia (increased body temperature). These symptoms tend to last for approximately 12 to 48 hours, and as with all the other food groups mentioned if you suspect your dog has consumed macadamia nuts note the possible quantity consumed and contact your vet.

Yeast Dough
Ingestion of yeast dough can cause gas to accumulate in your dog's digestive system as a result of the dough rising. Not only can this be painful but if may also cause the stomach or intestines to become obstructed (blocked) or distended. So whilst small bits of bread can be given as a treat due to the fact that risks are diminished once the yeast has fully risen, it is advised to avoid giving your dog yeast dough.

Bones
Whilst feeding your dog bones may seem like a good idea in that it takes our dogs back to their 'roots', it is important to remember that domestic dogs may choke on the bones, or sustain injury as the splinters can become lodged in or puncture your dog's digestive tract, so if you choose to give your dog bones be sure to keep an eye on him while he tucks in, and avoid giving cooked bones (which splinter easily) or giving bones that are small enough to get stuck in their bowels. Eating large quantities of bone can often cause constipation, so try to monitor the amount your dog manages to consume.

Corn on the cob
Corn on the cob may seem like a healthy table scrap to give your dog, but unlike most vegetables, it does not digest well in a dog’s stomach. If your dog swallows large chunks of the cob, or even whole, it can cause an intestinal blockage due to it's size and shape. If your dog gobbled up corn on the cob watch for signs of trouble such as vomiting, loss of appetite or reduced appetite, absence of faeces or sometimes diarrhoea and signs of abdominal discomfort. In this case, have your dog see a vet immediately and be careful to never feed corn on the cob again.

Xylitol
The artificial sweetener xylitol found in many foods such as sugar free gum, diabetic cakes, diet foods etc. causes insulin release in many species leading to potentially fatal hypoglycaemia (lowered sugar levels). The initial symptoms include lethargy, vomiting and loss of coordination, following this recumbency (unable to stand) and seizures may occur. Xylitol has also been linked to fatal acute liver disease and blood clotting disorders in dogs. Even very small amounts can be extremely dangerous and if you think your dog has eaten any amount of xylitol then you should seek veterinary advice immediately.

Milk
As dogs do not have significant amounts of the enzyme lactase that breaks down lactose in milk, feeding your dog milk and other milk-based products can cause diarrhoea or other digestive upset.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think it's incorrect to mention bones. Cooked, yes, they're awful. Lots of us feed our dogs raw and after years of doing so, I have had no incidents. If you're careful, it can be fine. It's not as easy as chucking bones and hoping for the best, it needs thought and research, but lots of us do it successfully.