Fosse Park Leicester horses

Ladyinred

Visit site
What, and read stuff posted by hear say?

I would prefer hard facts myself.

I would assume that a person with your wealth of experience would be well able to sort the wheat from the chaff.. or indeed, the hard fact from the hearsay.

You might even be able to educate the rest of us lesser mortals.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I cant remember where I read it but I think because they had water and food they wouldn't act. This is where the law needs changing

According to someone on site (and there are pictures for the doubting Thomas in our midst :rolleyes3:) there is no boundary to prevent the foals getting not the water and being pulled away by the current. There is also lots of barbed wire and litter which the MD of the brewery has promised to sort out ASAP.

The law doesn't need changing - just upholding.

The Brewery that ownes the land have made a statement. And pressure is being put on them to act.

Trouble is, if they change the use of the land or force the owner to move his horses, they will just end up in similar or worse places. We need to change the law re fly grazing as this appears (I could be wrong) to be that, pure and simple. I understand that a law was passed in Wales to try to eradicate fly grazing and perhaps the rest of the UK should follow suit.

Is this going to be the latest epic thread like the one about the Welsh guy? (Did he ever turn up?) Hope so, I think having the general horsey public on the case will be useful.

Last edited:

Adopter

Visit site
Perhaps BHS or WHW may help?

There is a statement on WHW saying they are aware of the situation. At the end of the day charities pick up pieces when the laws allows them, why slate the charities the owner is responsible, and unless the law is broken everyone is left in the blame game. I do understand why everyone is so disresed about this, from what I have read it is an awful situation.

The equine charities are still trying to get the English government to take action on fly grazing, but DEFRA believe ASBOs will sort out the over horse population and fly grazing. Just wish everyone would give their MPs a hard time over this so the law is changed.

The whole situation is very distressing for everyone, but the government needs to take action like the welsh parliament has.

FionaM12

Visit site
I find the fb page rather hard to work out the facts from. There's not much in the info section and the photos of living horses are distant. It does look very shambolic and unpleasant, but it's hard to be sure of the level of cruelty. Obviously leaving a rotting dead animal is horrible and unhygienic, as well as indicating a neglectful attitude. But much that's on the page are threads of comments and I can't tell who's got first hand info and who's making assumptions.

Ladyinred

Visit site
I find the fb page rather hard to work out the facts from. There's not much in the info section and the photos of living horses are distant. It does look very shambolic and unpleasant, but it's hard to be sure of the level of cruelty. Obviously leaving a rotting dead animal is horrible and unhygienic, as well as indicating a neglectful attitude. But much that's on the page are threads of comments and I can't tell who's got first hand info and who's making assumptions.

The admin threads are mainly first hand from Mark Johson the farrier who started all this. He found the horse in the water that was subsequently euthanased and he has today been involved with the RSPCA, someone from the local council and the owners of the land (a brewery) who leased it to the owner of the horses. He has also met with the owner of the horses.

There is, for an emotive subject such as this, surprisingly little in the way of assumptions being made. There are the usual militant "let's go and get these horses NOW" brigade and the usual collection of fluffies who mean well but whose knowledge is lacking (one, bless her, wanted everyone to go and brush the horses and put coats on them) TBH there are few assumptions to be made, the pictures and the BBC report all spoke volumes, basically what you see is what you get.

It is far removed from the Clwyd Davies scenario when the whole rescue operation was jeopardised by those with a 'poor old man' mind set. This is simply a raising of awareness so someone acts and gets the animals moved to a better place.. there are no 'characters' to feel sorry for and no one (yet) has suggested that the owner is anything less than neglectful; there is no sympathy vote for him.

In 24 hours we have 30000 followers. This is the tip of the iceberg, raising awareness of these animals is only a small part of what needs doing nationwide. This herd IS bred for meat, the owner has stated that... but no matter how you feel about that the aim is to get all horses kept in decent humane conditions.

Things have got to change, and change fast.

There was one post from someone in another country , not sure where, but it stated that the poster believed the British were a nation of animal lovers and ended up saying 'shame on you' It made me think.

Patterdale

Visit site
Without anyone knowing how it died, then we cannot say it was neglected. Perhaps it was pts humanely?.

Oh get real.

So what, some caring owner went to the hassle and expense of getting the horse PTS.....and then what? Just left it there..? Well, I suppose it COULD happen..:rolleyes3:

I don't know anything about this case, but I really don't have to to know that caring, conscientious owners don't leave dead horses to rot in the fields still grazed by all its mates.

I think what I was trying to say was, if the owners thought it reasonable to leave a dead horse to decompose in the same field as its living equines, it does beg the question about the welfare of the living.

Quite.

millikins

Visit site
I don't understand why horses bred for meat, and it is openly stated that is what they are for, do not have the same rights as any other farm animal.

bex1984

Visit site
I lived down the road for 7 years and drove past the horses here every day. It is not hearsay that it floods every year and it's actually not that badly flooded at the moment compared to previous years (sometimes you can't see grass at all). There's nothing to prevent horses getting into the river. There's a lot of barbed wire and rubbish. The horses usually have big bale straw in a ring feeder when the weather is bad. I've seen well meaning members of the public feeding them all sorts. People have been complaining about this for years.

Adopter

Visit site
They do have the same rights,

Sadly since all the horsemeat scandal WHW are reporting that horses are now being shipped live through our Docks as pets/competition horses for the meat trade in Europe. No safeguards for them as to time without food and water, distance to travel. There is a report of 90 wagons of horses being observed on one day leaving for Europe, and this is replicated daily. There are so many distressing angles to the current horse over population.

Hedwards

Visit site
I lived down the road for 7 years and drove past the horses here every day. It is not hearsay that it floods every year and it's actually not that badly flooded at the moment compared to previous years (sometimes you can't see grass at all). There's nothing to prevent horses getting into the river. There's a lot of barbed wire and rubbish. The horses usually have big bale straw in a ring feeder when the weather is bad. I've seen well meaning members of the public feeding them all sorts. People have been complaining about this for years.

Yep, i work just around the corner, and people have been complaining for years, sadly the RSPCA have never done anything as technically there's nothing 'wrong'.

I hope the facebook page etc. will do some good...

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Yep, i work just around the corner, and people have been complaining for years, sadly the RSPCA have never done anything as technically there's nothing 'wrong'.

I hope the facebook page etc. will do some good...

genuinely interested-i too have driven past these horses probably on average every other week, for the last 6/8 years.
i even commented to NMT last time (just prior to the floods) that they looked very well (or those we could see up against the fence did anyway).

they always have hay in bad weather and water.

have i missed something? are there emaciated ones away from the road view?

its horrendous one was (probably) left to die and rot away but equally unless we know what it died of, harder to make a call-if it went down quickly overnight with something and was dead when owner arrived he's guilty of little more than being a gross lazy *****. (obviously if horse is known to have died a long painful death its very different).

can anyone clarify for me please and thanks :)

Janesomerset

Visit site
The Fosse Park "owner" has said he is having all the horses put down this afternoon, despite many offers to rehome them. I have never been one for the "RSPCA bashing" I have seen on this forum and others, but if they just stand by and watch this happen, they are a b****y national disgrace.

Ladyinred

Visit site

have i missed something? are there emaciated ones away from the road view?

its horrendous one was (probably) left to die and rot away but equally unless we know what it died of, harder to make a call-if it went down quickly overnight with something and was dead when owner arrived he's guilty of little more than being a gross lazy *****. (obviously if horse is known to have died a long painful death its very different).

can anyone clarify for me please and thanks :)

We don't know how or why it died but the carcase had been there for some time judging by the amount of decomposition and feeding by scavengers. The one that had to be euthanased was found unable to stand in flood water. The fire service eventually got it out of the water and he did stand for a short while but the attending vet felt that it had little or no chance of surviving and pts.

Yes they appear to be fed, but the quality of the forage was so poor that people attending weren't even sure if it was meant to be hay or haylage.. it was black. I think I am correct in saying that a subsequent bale was of slightly better quality.

Aside from the state of the horses themselves there are problems with their environment. There is a lot of potentially dangerous rubbish in the field; trailing barbed wire in many places and nothing to stop them falling in the river.

They are not the worst but they deserve a lot lot better and highlight many of the problems rife in this country at the moment. As you know, there has been a massive response to the FB page and we hope that this case will help towards legislation that is properly applied and benefit the many hundreds of horses in similar situations around the country at the moment.

It was fortunate that someone like Mark Johnson and his son found the first horse struggling for life in the water. He is a very articulate and determined man and with his professional accreditation he can't be accused of not knowing about horses. I don't know him personally but have huge respect for the time and effort he has put into this so far.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
We don't know how or why it died but the carcase had been there for some time judging by the amount of decomposition and feeding by scavengers. The one that had to be euthanased was found unable to stand in flood water. The fire service eventually got it out of the water and he did stand for a short while but the attending vet felt that it had little or no chance of surviving and pts.

Yes they appear to be fed, but the quality of the forage was so poor that people attending weren't even sure if it was meant to be hay or haylage.. it was black. I think I am correct in saying that a subsequent bale was of slightly better quality.

Aside from the state of the horses themselves there are problems with their environment. There is a lot of potentially dangerous rubbish in the field; trailing barbed wire in many places and nothing to stop them falling in the river.

They are not the worst but they deserve a lot lot better and highlight many of the problems rife in this country at the moment. As you know, there has been a massive response to the FB page and we hope that this case will help towards legislation that is properly applied and benefit the many hundreds of horses in similar situations around the country at the moment.

It was fortunate that someone like Mark Johnson and his son found the first horse struggling for life in the water. He is a very articulate and determined man and with his professional accreditation he can't be accused of not knowing about horses. I don't know him personally but have huge respect for the time and effort he has put into this so far.

thanks, do we know why the one down in the water WAS down?trapped?injured?emaciated and weak?

just trying to be very careful and clear about this as the horses have always looked fairly ok and the hay i could see was gold/greeny/yellowy up to 2 weeks ago but obviously i have not actually been in to the field, just driven past.

agree it is clearly not ideal though.

Patterdale

Visit site
*dons tin hat*

If these horses are living a miserable life and destined to be transported for meat anyway..... Is it really so bad for them to just be out of it this afternoon?

I'm as fluffy as the next, trust me, but if the alternative to being PTS today is to paddle around being hungry for a few months then be killed anyway.....is it much of an alternative?

Ladyinred

Visit site
*dons tin hat*

If these horses are living a miserable life and destined to be transported for meat anyway..... Is it really so bad for them to just be out of it this afternoon?

I'm as fluffy as the next, trust me, but if the alternative to being PTS today is to paddle around being hungry for a few months then be killed anyway.....is it much of an alternative?

Agree. Sadly I don't think this is what he will do. He is more likely to herd them onto a lorry and disappear them amongst family members.

Janesomerset

Visit site
*dons tin hat*

I would agree with that if these horses had not been offered sanctuary, but they have.