Fresh or happy

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
so perhaps individual turn out with neighbors would be a better solution for him... perhaps.

His current turnout time for winter is 7 - 2.30, i finish work at 7 so it is dark, no lights so i cant work him unless i get up really early which i do tend to do.

Is less turnout time better ie 4 hours a day if you can work them after finishing work?

The reality of it is yards are very slim pickings in my area.

Many of us are in a similar boat, where compromises have to be made and sometimes it's only trying things out to see, that allows you to find out what works for a horse and what is a complete no-no.

I prefer small group turnout for mine, that's what I grew up with, but few yards offer this now and one of mine will pick a fight with her own shadow so is best kept in her own paddock. This is a compromise for my other one, who would love a field buddy... but she's relaxed and well adjusted in this set up where there are loads of small paddocks close together so we get by OK. She likes to chat with her neighbours over the fence so she has a paddock in the middle with neighbours on every side.

It wouldn't work if she was shoved up the road or in a corner, she'd get too lonely. It wouldn't work if I put the other one in with her, they'd both end up fighting. so this is a compromise.

Same with winter turnout. Many yards in my area really struggle with this, its not ideal but I make sure they go out as much as possible and are worked daily to provide extra time out of the stable. I know most yards round here limit winter turnout, so I would only choose one with a floodlit school so I can work them when the light is short. Another compromise, but it's how you can make the best of it to give the horses a decent life that counts, IMO.
Last winter ours had half day turnout for months at a time (i.e. morning or afternoon). provided they had company and food all the time, and plenty of ridden exercise, they coped very well. Horses are good at adjusting provided their basic essential needs are met.

The thing I will no longer compromise on, is I will never have a single horse at DIY livery ever again. having 2 gives me a lot of benefits, they always have company, i'm never let down by other people doing random things, and I can manage their routine to suit myself much more easily. Putting your chap on full or part livery might actually help in this regard, as he would be in the same routine as others without fail.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do think everything being on individual with adjoining paddocks creates a bit of a different dynamic to having one separated from a large herd even if in close proximity.

Yes there are always compromises and we can only make what we think the right decision is for them at the time. I prefer all day turnout but ours were 8am-2pm, I was ok with that if I knew he would be worked every day and at least leg walked later. When he couldn't work that wasn't sufficient.

I do think you might find things quite different with a lit school with a decent surface compared to what you have to use at the moment.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Thanks, i think i have made my mind up, i just need to get those brave pants on.
One of the biggest pushes i'm getting is the fact he is in very very light work in winter as there are no facilities that are not usable in winter, when it all dries up (April / May) his head shaking kicks in. If i move i can flip it on its head, keep him in a lot of work over winter then he can take it easier in April / May until the tree blossom goes away. Plus it would be nice to have more knowledgeable people around me haha you might hear less from me on here :) yipppiii for everyone :p

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it does sound like it's worth looking for somewhere else.
don't be surprised if he gets unsettled again after the move, but at least if you find somewhere more suited to both of you, you'll be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

starfish8

Visit site
Another who questions the wisdom of a YO who tells you to move your horse 600m away from all others... individual turnout is one thing but that is brutal.

What area are you in? Someone may be able to recommend something in your area? Moving yards is nerve-wracking - I moved mine to my instructors in January and even with the benefit of complete trust in her, knowing several of the liveries and being confident a move would do us the world of good - I worried about whether horse would act like an idiot and do herself an injury and was 'that owner' for a week or so constantly checking up on them. They were fine. I was fine.

Restricted turnout hasn't done her ladyship any harm. The routine of a livery yard and the support of having knowledgeable people around you will probably do you both the world of good.

Tarragon

Visit site
The thing I will no longer compromise on, is I will never have a single horse at DIY livery ever again. having 2 gives me a lot of benefits, they always have company, i'm never let down by other people doing random things, and I can manage their routine to suit myself much more easily. Putting your chap on full or part livery might actually help in this regard, as he would be in the same routine as others without fail.
I agree about having more than one horse in a DIY setup is so much easier than having just the one. It gives you independence and an autonomy you don't have with just one horse. Double the costs though :-(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Where have your friends gone to, can they not recommend other yards to you? If someone else is bringing him at 2.30, what is the difference between that and 'livery'?

Horsekaren

Visit site
Where have your friends gone to, can they not recommend other yards to you? If someone else is bringing him at 2.30, what is the difference between that and 'livery'?
They are full and only take mares when they have spaces. I am bringing him in at 2.30, perk of being around the corner, he comes in 30 mins before the others start to come in as after then i cannot leave work until 6.30, plus i cant be worrying about him being last as he stresses. Seems happy coming in at that time. No different from 9.30 to 5 turnout, just doesn't sound much when you say 7 - 2.30 :/

Leo Walker

Visit site
Thanks, i think i have made my mind up, i just need to get those brave pants on.
One of the biggest pushes i'm getting is the fact he is in very very light work in winter as there are no facilities that are not usable in winter, when it all dries up (April / May) his head shaking kicks in. If i move i can flip it on its head, keep him in a lot of work over winter then he can take it easier in April / May until the tree blossom goes away. Plus it would be nice to have more knowledgeable people around me haha you might hear less from me on here :) yipppiii for everyone :p

I'm not going to lie, I did not expect you to say that. Well done for listening to him. You will look back on all this worry and wonder what all the fuss is about once you get moved and settled. Post on Facebook and ask for yards, check the marketplace ads, preloved etc, put a post on here. I have been in this area for a few years now, know loads and loads of horsey people and yet I am still finding yards I didnt know about. The one I've moved to I found by trawling the local FB groups and msging people who had been recommended previously. i got lucky and found a space. She doesnt advertise its all word of mouth. I have found over the years that yards that advertise generally do so for a reason!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have owned two geldings who were aggressive and anti social in a gelding only herd who wouldn't have been tolerated in a herd in a livery yard by other owners. And I know another two, one owned by a friend and one at livery with a friend which are extremely aggressive to other horses. If I was at livery with a horse like any of those four, or if it was mine, I'd want it kept on single grazing. Most horses are herd animals, the occasional one isn't.