Future breed

Moobli

Visit site
I’m researching potential future breeds.

Looking for :

Active.
Intelligent.
Friendly to people with little to no defence/suspicion.
Friendly to other dogs.
Not overly prey driven.
Medium to large size.

I’ve always had GSDs and border collies but I’m considering something “easier” for my next dog. I probably won’t be looking for another 2/3 years but I’d like to research breeds and breeders now and even potentially get on a waiting list.

Top of the list at the moment are working golden retrievers. Does anyone have one? I’ve only personally known two but they certainly tick the boxes above.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Haven’t you got bearded collies/crosses? Do they not fit the bill? Everything I’ve heard about goldens seems lovely, although the ones I’ve met recently were bonkers bouncy!

Moobli

Visit site
Haven’t you got bearded collies/crosses? Do they not fit the bill? Everything I’ve heard about goldens seems lovely, although the ones I’ve met recently were bonkers bouncy!
Yes we do have beardie/borders and they are great, but they are work dogs and very worky and very prey driven.

Moobli

Visit site
I feel that you might need an Irish Setter in your life
View attachment 110098
I honestly love Irish setters and would definitely consider one (there’s a long story about one from my childhood that I’ll leave for another time) but aren’t they very hunty? My shepherds are dreadful hunters so trying to make my life easier in future 😂
Please tell me more about your beautiful dog, especially in terms of sociability with people/other dogs. Thank you.

ihatework

Visit site
Yes I do like the look of flatcoats but don’t they suffer dreadfully from cancer related health issues? 😔

Sarcoma is reasonably prevalent I think which plays into the 8-10 year life expectancy but I don’t know if it’s something you can mitigate for by careful selection of lines

Clodagh

Visit site
Failing that I used to see working goldies in Essex, although haven’t seen any here. Apparently more trainable than labs (how is that possible!? 😄). However of the four I saw regularly one was outstanding, one nuts and two reasonable. Lovely dogs, they honestly seem to me to be slightly clumpier mud magnet Labradors.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
What about a Dalmatian? I have had a lot of collies as well as dalmatians and found the dalmatians to be as bright as the collies, if not brighter in some cases. They do like to train you to believe they are stupid so you do have to keep on top of them! They do need a lot of exercise, sociable and easy in the house. One downside is they will eat anything and I do mean anything!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I love Border and Rough Collies. Absolutely fantastic dogs for so many reasons and mine have been unforgettable soul mates.
However, my next dog will be a Border Terrier, which is probably smaller than you'd like, but don't write them off. They're tough, hardy little types and perfect for outdoor people.
We do a lot of fell and moorland hiking. Their speed across moorland is impressive, whilst being nimble enough to clamber up scree and rocky fells. They're also conveniently small enough to chuck over stone walls.
They're usually perceived to be friendly amongst non dog owning people and their children, which reduces fog walking stress.
My current BT is nearly 15 years old and has only seen the vet once to have some teeth removed. Not sure how typical he is, but he has zero prey drive. He's fostered baby birds that I rehab, and guinea pigs and rabbits have been known to sleep next to him.

Auslander

Visit site
I honestly love Irish setters and would definitely consider one (there’s a long story about one from my childhood that I’ll leave for another time) but aren’t they very hunty? My shepherds are dreadful hunters so trying to make my life easier in future 😂
Please tell me more about your beautiful dog, especially in terms of sociability with people/other dogs. Thank you.

Bruno isn't hunty at all - he's basically my shadow, and doesn't go anywhere that he doesn't have direct line of sight to me. He's a lounge lizard by nature, although he loves a mad scamper with his tail held like a teapot handle! Adores people, and doesn't feel that a day should go by without making at least one new human friend. He's ambivalent about other dogs - although I think that's a him thing, rather than a setter thing - he's not anti other dogs, he just prefers people.
He is very expressive - if I upset him, BOY does he let me know about it! He can sulk like no other dog I've ever had, but it never lasts very long!
He's a leaner - and that is definitely a setter thing! He leans very heavily on people to express his love for them. He also wraps his leg round peoples legs if he thinks they might be trying to leave before he's ready to let them go

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
What about a Dalmatian? I have had a lot of collies as well as dalmatians and found the dalmatians to be as bright as the collies, if not brighter in some cases. They do like to train you to believe they are stupid so you do have to keep on top of them! They do need a lot of exercise, sociable and easy in the house. One downside is they will eat anything and I do mean anything!
I wouldn't, a relative has one, she is incredibly hard work and deaf, wants to be eating all the time

Moobli

Visit site
Not sure why but Dalmatian’s have never appealed but then I’ve never looked into them. I’ll have a read about them thanks.

Moobli

Visit site
I love Border and Rough Collies. Absolutely fantastic dogs for so many reasons and mine have been unforgettable soul mates.
However, my next dog will be a Border Terrier, which is probably smaller than you'd like, but don't write them off. They're tough, hardy little types and perfect for outdoor people.
We do a lot of fell and moorland hiking. Their speed across moorland is impressive, whilst being nimble enough to clamber up scree and rocky fells. They're also conveniently small enough to chuck over stone walls.
They're usually perceived to be friendly amongst non dog owning people and their children, which reduces fog walking stress.
My current BT is nearly 15 years old and has only seen the vet once to have some teeth removed. Not sure how typical he is, but he has zero prey drive. He's fostered baby birds that I rehab, and guinea pigs and rabbits have been known to sleep next to him.
I love Borders. My sister has had two, both very different from one another and if I was after a small dog I’d definitely look at them but I’m after something a bit bigger.

Moobli

Visit site
Bruno isn't hunty at all - he's basically my shadow, and doesn't go anywhere that he doesn't have direct line of sight to me. He's a lounge lizard by nature, although he loves a mad scamper with his tail held like a teapot handle! Adores people, and doesn't feel that a day should go by without making at least one new human friend. He's ambivalent about other dogs - although I think that's a him thing, rather than a setter thing - he's not anti other dogs, he just prefers people.
He is very expressive - if I upset him, BOY does he let me know about it! He can sulk like no other dog I've ever had, but it never lasts very long!
He's a leaner - and that is definitely a setter thing! He leans very heavily on people to express his love for them. He also wraps his leg round peoples legs if he thinks they might be trying to leave before he's ready to let them go
He sounds wonderful 😍

fankino04

Visit site
I've had 3 malamutes and none have been like what you read on the malamute Facebook sites. Mine have all been super chilled and laid back, will walk as little or as much as you want without getting upset if things change the next day, great with others, good with other dogs but will defend themselves if they need to ( this would generally including pinning the aggressive dog to the ground rather than have a fight though), all good with the cats, no prey drive except ashkii if there was a squirrel involved lol. As I said if you ask on any of the Facebook sites this is not how they describe their dogs but it was my experience with all 3 of them.