Galloping towards people/dogs

catembi

Visit site
While it's really annoying to have your planned gallop spoiled, you have to be considerate of others. Sometimes I'd have hacked quite a way to get to a good gallop spot & then find dog walkers or ramblers on it. Although it was infuriating to have had my gallop deferred to the following w'end, I would only trot until I was near them, slow to walk, walk past them, keep walking until I wasn't going to alarm them or spray them with mud, then trot til I was well clear then have a controlled canter.

I really had the need for speed, but not at the expense of scaring people!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
IMO, if you can't pull your horse up, you shouldn't be galloping them in public places- fair game on your own land, hired gallops etc where the only person at risk is you, but not in a space where you could endanger others. I get a one off loss of control, but then I think you need to re-establish that in a private place rather than risking it again in future.
I agree. It's just something I've seen pop up in various reels on social media and I thought maybe I'm oversensitive to it because I am working on my confidence out hacking but actually it's not a good idea to be regularly riding out with no brakes. Even for regular fast spots, if that happens to be a public bridleway it wouldn't be okay to bomb through past people walking/riding on that path just because that's where you always canter and now have no other say in the matter (which was one example).

Although earlier I did see a really nice example of someone with a young horse having lots of canters in very open country so they didn't 'need' to pull up but came back to a halt because the horse had ignored their signal to slow down in one of the canters. Seems like good training to me!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I'd have been waiting at the horsebox when she got back to have a chat about behaving like a knob and the possible consequences for everyone of doing that.

I see a lot of similar entitled stuff on the road safety facebook group, or did, I left pretty quickly as I was horrified. As someone who has ridden and driven horses on the road I go out of my way to be as considerate as possible.
PWAS? I got blocked from that page by the entitled nutjobs that run it.

Our beaches are restricted (even though they are very quiet anyway) and we can only go on them early and late in the day, and we are always aware that if we do anything daft we'll likely be banned completely. People like the girl in the video would not be welcome.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
She doesn't even appear to look back to check the dog is okay... What an entitled b****, the type that gives horse riders a bad name. I bet the dogs owners didn't even know what to do - it's entirely possible they were calling the dog back towards them (given the dog is running across the beach to something, rather than after the horse)...

Gallop_Away

Visit site
The video appears to have been removed. Can someone explain what it was? I gather a rider has galloped at people on foot?

ihatework

Visit site
The video appears to have been removed. Can someone explain what it was? I gather a rider has galloped at people on foot?

Rider galloping on beach. Big clear stretch, good visibility. 2 small groups of people ahead and she just galloped in between them with no attempt to slow down. They were reasonably close. One dog ran across in front of her.

The dumb thing is is was clear beyond the people. She could easily have just come back to a walk and then gone again after. The very sort that gives riders a bad name.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Rider galloping on beach. Big clear stretch, good visibility. 2 small groups of people ahead and she just galloped in between them with no attempt to slow down. They were reasonably close. One dog ran across in front of her.

The dumb thing is is was clear beyond the people. She could easily have just come back to a walk and then gone again after. The very sort that gives riders a bad name.

Good lord 🤦‍♀️ what a reckless thing to do! Thank you for explaining xx

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
In her Instagram comments she said she’d been cantering for a minute or two before and clearly saw them in the distance, but then ramped up to a gallop? Entitled. That’s like saying if you’re driving a car, it’s ok to speed towards pedestrians crossing a road…

Makes it Even worse - sounds like she's so entitled she's hoping to scare them out the way

Hope she's banned from the beach

Mudfukkle

Visit site
Unfortunately, I've witnessed this type of riding at Hayling Beach, where there's already a loud voice to get horses banned. We took the dogs there last summer and there were lots of horses on the beach, we kept the dogs on leads whenever we were passing a group of them. But then a group of horses just suddenly galloped up behind us with no warning, we could barely get the dogs back on leads in time, it was such a dangerous thing to do! I was totally gobsmacked by the behaviour of the horse riders, we didn't know they were coming up behind us, never mind at such speed.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I’m not a fan of loose dogs but that one didn’t do anything wrong IMO. Looked like he/she wanted to get out of the way but didn’t know how to.
While the rider is going too fast past people, it looked to me like the dog ran left to right in front of the horse putting itself in danger. If the owners have no control, it could do the same out of woods or undergrowth where a rider may not see it until it's too late.

So my opinion is both are in the wrong. A dog not under the owner's control running in front of a horse and a rider going too fast to react to this. Both had time to avoid this.

Peglo

Visit site
While the rider is going too fast past people, it looked to me like the dog ran left to right in front of the horse putting itself in danger. If the owners have no control, it could do the same out of woods or undergrowth where a rider may not see it until it's too late.

So my opinion is both are in the wrong. A dog not under the owner's control running in front of a horse and a rider going too fast to react to this. Both had time to avoid this.

Just rewatched it and the dog is actually further away from the owners/people than I had remembered. It’s not even the first time I’ve seen this. 🤦🏼‍♀️ So I agree with you. The dog wasn’t under control and the horse is too fast.

Jenko109

Visit site
It could be likened to someone driving their car at your horse at speed.

Your horse may be very good in traffic and usually very confident.

You may not find your horse behaves in the way you predict when faced with a driver coming at them at a reckless speed.

Would you say that the horse was in anyway at fault for reacting? Of course not. No more than this poor dog who has a panic at the horse galloping towards him.

meleeka

Visit site
Just rewatched it and the dog is actually further away from the owners/people than I had remembered. It’s not even the first time I’ve seen this. 🤦🏼‍♀️ So I agree with you. The dog wasn’t under control and the horse is too fast.

I’m assuming the owners of the dog thought it was ok with horses, so no need to put it on a lead. It does appear that the dog was running for another reason, rather than at the horse. There was plenty of time for the rider to pull up once she’d seen there was a loose dog and you’d think she would care enough about her horses welfare to do so, but clearly not.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ehmmm........ as one who has been the victim of a dog attack whilst out riding; I'm gonna come at this a bit differently OK......

See, the onus was on the dog owner to keep their dog under control so that it wasn't loose to go running up to the horse like that in the first place. If I had been that rider and saw the dog run out like that, my immediate thought would have been "OMG we are gonna get attacked by a dog here". It is not known whether owner had tried to get it back but had no recall, or whether everything just happened incredibly quickly and dog owner was perhaps miles away and blissfully unaware that their dog was going to run at a horse like this.

Yes, the rider WAS galloping way too fast and personally I would criticise her for doing that when it was obvious there were people around. I am also very concerned that she failed to stop and check the dog was actually OK after this incident.

It was very fortunate that (a) the dog was NOT in attack mode; and (b) that it actually wasn't hurt by what it did.

But at the end of the day it shouldn't have been free to have done what it did. Owner could have had a huge vets bill, and sorry, but it would have been their own fault as the dog was allowed to be loose.

Yes I dare say people on here will disagree with me. That's fine. But if you've ever been on the receiving end of a dog attack where an owner had diddly-squat control over their dog and let it attack a horse, you will see things like this from a very different angle indeed.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I'm usually the first to moan about off lead out of control dogs but in this case, the dog was just being a dog on a beach, not chasing anything, and we have no idea if the walkers even realised what was happening whereas we absolutely know that this stupid rider saw the people from a long way off and chose to gallop between them.

ihatework

Visit site
Ehmmm........ as one who has been the victim of a dog attack whilst out riding; I'm gonna come at this a bit differently OK......

See, the onus was on the dog owner to keep their dog under control so that it wasn't loose to go running up to the horse like that in the first place. If I had been that rider and saw the dog run out like that, my immediate thought would have been "OMG we are gonna get attacked by a dog here". It is not known whether owner had tried to get it back but had no recall, or whether everything just happened incredibly quickly and dog owner was perhaps miles away and blissfully unaware that their dog was going to run at a horse like this.

Yes, the rider WAS galloping way too fast and personally I would criticise her for doing that when it was obvious there were people around. I am also very concerned that she failed to stop and check the dog was actually OK after this incident.

It was very fortunate that (a) the dog was NOT in attack mode; and (b) that it actually wasn't hurt by what it did.

But at the end of the day it shouldn't have been free to have done what it did. Owner could have had a huge vets bill, and sorry, but it would have been their own fault as the dog was allowed to be loose.

Yes I dare say people on here will disagree with me. That's fine. But if you've ever been on the receiving end of a dog attack where an owner had diddly-squat control over their dog and let it attack a horse, you will see things like this from a very different angle indeed.

Completely disagree.
If you are going to gallop a horse at a loose dog, then you are a Darwin situation. There was no evidence to suggest the dog was being a nuisance. It was just loose which is not necessarily out of control.

I think if you are that scared of riding around loose dogs then you should avoid public places.

Now if the rider had come back to a walk and the dog ran up to them then, that is a different matter.

Burnerbee

Visit site

The rider must’ve realised the humans very likely had a dog/s with them. It wouldn’t be her fault obviously had the dog attacked but surely it’s about not putting yourself, your horse, people or dogs in harms way. Not creating the stage for an accident and then having to work out afterwards who’s legally responsible for what.

I’d have walked up the beach and asked dog owners if they could possibly put their dog on a lead because I was hoping to charge back down the beach in a minute. If they said no, for whatever reason, I’d have had to not do it - or go to a quieter bit of the beach. It’s one of the downsides of living in a small country with a lot of people - you can’t necessarily do what you want where it want. (Not aimed at you JodsR2tite).

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I've had horses attacked by dogs out riding. I've also had my three dogs set upon by two GSDs who came out of a property, ran up a public road and laid into my extremely non-confrontational lot, until a lovely young chap stopped his car and whacked the GSDs with a tyre lever..

Does this give me the right to tell everyone to keep their dogs on a lead at all times? Nope. Does it give me the right to gallop my horse at pedestrians having a lovely beach walk with their off-lead, not bothering anybody dogs? Nope.

The rider is a nob.