Galloping towards people/dogs

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
As I said it's difficult to judge with a camera but it doesn't actually look like the rider is galloping towards but past wth quite a lot of space on each side.

Maybe the dog owners can use the same psychic powers I'm expected to use when a strange dog runs at me.
I'm obviously confusing a lot of people today, but my comment was in response to those people upthread who have said they canter towards people who are on foot.

Goldenstar

Visit site
While I agree that video angle is hard to read the rider is going past not towards the people it does not look very close
I am not sure what Rowreach means by cantering towards people I don’t see the video showing towards past yes but she not galloping at anyone .
Her lack of reaction to the dog was foolish and wrong .

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think Rowreach must mean me and I don’t must not understand what she means by towards . I would not canter straight towards walkers at close quarters I would ride my horse on line that kept me away .
I would never gallop ( in fact I rarely gallop on sand now my horses are now too heavy in type ) through people like rider in the video did I would slow to canter so steering and stopping was easy .
Horses in quite large numbers are common on the beaches here often competition types doing fast work hunters on Sundays getting in the sea there’s also masses of dogs and kite surfers who have to say look to me very dodgy .

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
While I agree that video angle is hard to read the rider is going past not towards the people it does not look very close
I was just a little cautious as a wider angle lens could make them look further away than a longer lens. The type of lenses used for hatcams are more likely to be wider for more coverage but can't be sure.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I am not sure what Rowreach means by cantering towards people I don’t see the video showing towards past yes but she not galloping at anyone .
Her lack of reaction to the dog was foolish and wrong .
I agree with you, as some beaches which are shared horses and humans, it's hard to canter or gallop along with people sharing it, just like going across an open park area. When the dog was spotted though she could have swerved the horse round to the right before she got too close.

I been down on the beach, and we rode right past the bit at the beginning where people and dogs were, and walked about 3/4 mile up the beach and cantered along that bit.

Without knowing this beach I do wonder if the riders could have ridden further up where people were not walking

Round here people always walk on the horse tracks which is annoying as they have 95% of the tracks in the woods, but because our local ridding club and members pay to improve the tracks, dog walkers prefer walking on, so you cannot canter on them and if you do come round a corner on the gallop bit you see people jumping to the sides out the way they are rude and shout at riders. You meet pushchairs, kids on bikes, walkers etc, which is unfair on horse riders as we only have 5% of the tracks to ride on and just when you reach the one place you can canter you have to grind to a halt with a family ambling along with push chairs.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
If someone came round a corner so fast I had to 'jump to the side out of the way', I'd certainly be shouting at them.

If you can't see clear ahead, slow up and then go again if it's clear.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
If someone came round a corner so fast I had to 'jump to the side out of the way', I'd certainly be shouting at them.

If you can't see clear ahead, slow up and then go again if it's clear.
Well maybe they should stick to the footpaths, as I said 95% of the tracks are footpath with only 3 horse rider tracks, the tracks in the woods are twisty and they are horse tracks paid for and maintained by horse riders. If that would be the case then horse riders would have to walk everywhere around here as there is no straight paths. We have very few places to hack around here. They won't allow us on the footpaths which is understandable, but it is a major horse area, and we maintain the paths and trims them and pay for the surface and signs. Respect goes both ways. Not safe for people to take prams and buggies on the horse tracks for all concerned.

Last edited:

Velcrobum

Visit site
As the rider responsible has publicly posted this, this is her Instagram page.

Her behaviour was selfish and potentially dangerous in the extreme. She had good sight of people on the beach but made no effort to slow down. It would appear the beach was lengthy so she should have slowed passed considerately then when clear gone again. As others have said the comments about this video are generally negative saying she was wrong. It is telling that one of her comments on her FB page is "Happiest when we're galloping flat out across a XC Course"

ETA no idea why the FB link is not in English but is in English when opened.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Well maybe they should stick to the footpaths, as I said 95% of the tracks are footpath with only 3 horse rider tracks, the tracks in the woods are twisty and they are horse tracks paid for and maintained by horse riders. If that would be the case then horse riders would have to walk everywhere around here as there is no straight paths. We have very few places to hack around here. They won't allow us on the footpaths which is understandable, but it is a major horse area, and we maintain the paths and trims them and pay for the surface and signs. Respect goes both ways. Not safe for people to take prams and buggies on the horse tracks for all concerned.
I'm not sure what you mean by horse track - are they bridlepaths? Are they actually walking on tracks they don't have permission/right to access or is it just that it annoys you when they do?

webble

Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by horse track - are they bridlepaths? Are they actually walking on tracks they don't have permission/right to access or is it just that it annoys you when they do?
Also what if another horse rider was on the track walking and you were cantering?