Geoff Update: Some HHO vibes would be much appreciated!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Oh no, poor poor Geoff and poor you, you must have been beside yourself. Loads & loads of vibes coming from me, I'm another silent stalker and really enjoy your progress reports.

FionaM12

Visit site
So terribly upset and sorry to read this. Fingers crossed for poor Geoff. Be kind to yourself too, you've had an awful shock. xxxx

Doris68

Visit site
Oh my goodness, poor Geoff and poor you! Hope he makes a full recovery. A long road ahead, but you'll both stay strong for sure!

khalswitz

Visit site
Thanks so much, all, it really means a lot.

Vet been out today for more anti-bs and painkillers, and took all his vitals. His temp, heart rate, gut sounds etc are all normal, and he's bright and stuffing himself with hay. He's also able to shuffle about the stable a bit, and can weight bear on it thanks to the immobilisation of the fetlock, so it's looking encouraging at the moment.

Keeping our fingers crossed, vet is back tomorrow to change the bandage (quite an endeavour considering the size of it!) so we'll be able to take another look at it then.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Thanks so much, all, it really means a lot.

Vet been out today for more anti-bs and painkillers, and took all his vitals. His temp, heart rate, gut sounds etc are all normal, and he's bright and stuffing himself with hay. He's also able to shuffle about the stable a bit, and can weight bear on it thanks to the immobilisation of the fetlock, so it's looking encouraging at the moment.

Keeping our fingers crossed, vet is back tomorrow to change the bandage (quite an endeavour considering the size of it!) so we'll be able to take another look at it then.

That is better news at least. If it helps, my friend was hacking out on her 4 year old which she hadn't had all that long, having lost her previous horse to fatal colic, and it stood on a dumped pushchair in the long grass. A spike of some sort went up through the hoof, and came out somewhere above the fetlock. By a miracle it missed every structure and bone on the way and although it meant some serious surgery and aftercare, he went on to make a full recovery.

khalswitz

Visit site
Hey - thank you very much for the thoughts!

He's still here, still bandaged up to the eyeballs and very good friends with the vet. Thanks to it being a crush injury, he's actually lost a ton of skin and developed several other new wounds that we hadn't realised were there at the time, however the two bone-exposing wounds are starting to heal, and are, so far, infection free. He's bright, and very cross not to be getting turned out, so that's good too.

Still lots that could go wrong and vet is still pretty anxious about the whole thing so don't want to be too positive just yet, but he is probably as good as could be expected at this stage I think.

I tell you though, every time the bandage comes off in shocked again by how huge these wounds are :(

I will definitely update once we know anything for certain, but we probably won't feel really positive until the bone is covered over so may be a whole before we do (unless the worst happens).

But thanks all for the support (and all the Pms) - it really does make me feel supported! X

j1ffy

Visit site
Oh my goodness, poor Geoff. And just when things were going so well :(. Sending vibes your way that he makes a full and speedy recovery xx

EventingMum

Visit site
I think a lot of vets tend to be pessimistic simply because they don't want to give owners a more positive view just in case something does go wrong - hopefully yours is just being cautious. Dealing with this sort of injury is very wearing and hard for owners and horses alike, fingers crossed all will continue to go well for you and Geoff.

Fun Times

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies K but just wanted to let you know my friend's horse had a similar injury last year. She got fastened in the fence and severed her extensor tendon. She was on box rest for a couple of months (bandaged) but made a full recovery. It was awful whilst she was healing (especially as she ended up with infected at one point) but its all in her past now. So fingers crossed for poor Geoff, get well soon you big dude.

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
I have just read this, your poor boy and what a horrible shock for you! It sounds like he is doing well though and it is amazing what they can heal from so try and stay positive. Hugs for you.

showjump

Visit site
Hi i have just seen this thread.
A few years ago my horse got caught in the fence, he was out all night and we discovered him the morning. He too had severed the excisor (Sp?) tendon, and was down to the bone. He had a huge bandage same as your lad for months. In total he was on box rest for 9 months. at the later stages the vets had to de bribe the proud flesh, and he ended up with a relatively small (compared to original wound) star burst scar. He is back competing BSJA and is the same as before the accident, just with a scar. Ive picture of the progress somewhere..

On another not my mares just done a similar thing, but I was there at the time. Shes been stitched back together so hopefully will be a quicker job for her.

khalswitz

Visit site
Hey all :) thanks for the encouraging stories! Gives me some hope!!

Geoff is, as of this week, past the worst!! Both wounds are now covering the bone, so risk of bone infection has dropped significantly. The gaskin/hock wound has practically filled in, and was debrided and now getting steroid treatment, the cannon wound not quite so far on but less soft tissue so that's understandable. Vet is very pleased, and insurance has paid out the first month's bill, so all good so far :)

He has been so good, although he has started to drop muscle like you wouldn't believe. He looks like his entire top line has disappeared!! It's horrible. However he spends all day eating and gets three decent feeds a day so it must just be muscle wastage I think...

Still a long way to go, but vet now predicting August/September to ride again and he thinks a 90% chance of returning to work now from 50% so a real improvement in prognosis!!!

I'm also getting very good at bandaging, especially as his shivers are far more noticeable on box rest... ;)

Have appreciated all the support so much. Thank you for all those healing vibes!!!!! They've really helped :) x

_GG_

Visit site
Hey all :) thanks for the encouraging stories! Gives me some hope!!

Geoff is, as of this week, past the worst!! Both wounds are now covering the bone, so risk of bone infection has dropped significantly. The gaskin/hock wound has practically filled in, and was debrided and now getting steroid treatment, the cannon wound not quite so far on but less soft tissue so that's understandable. Vet is very pleased, and insurance has paid out the first month's bill, so all good so far :)

He has been so good, although he has started to drop muscle like you wouldn't believe. He looks like his entire top line has disappeared!! It's horrible. However he spends all day eating and gets three decent feeds a day so it must just be muscle wastage I think...

Still a long way to go, but vet now predicting August/September to ride again and he thinks a 90% chance of returning to work now from 50% so a real improvement in prognosis!!!

I'm also getting very good at bandaging, especially as his shivers are far more noticeable on box rest... ;)

Have appreciated all the support so much. Thank you for all those healing vibes!!!!! They've really helped :) x

Have only just seen this and good grief, what a horrible thing to discover on getting to the yard that day. I'm so so pleased to see this update and wish him all speed in his recovery going forwards. Bless you, hope you can at least breathe a little sigh of relief.
xx

Firewell

Visit site
That is fantastic news! Fingers crossed his recovery will continue to go to plan!
You probably have his feed sorted but just in case my mums TB is currently on box rest and looks fabulous on a diet prescribed by Top Spec. Top Spec Ulsa calm, balancer and top chop alfa x

khalswitz

Visit site
Thanks - I really appreciate it :)

GG - yes was pretty horrific, but actually took a while to sink in. I'm pretty practical, so getting him back to the yard and everything was priority first, I knew it was bad but didn't really look too closely. It was once the vet was there and I needed to start deciding things that I started choking up.

Funny as well that I coped fine with the wounds at their worst, all the stinking rotting flesh coming off, all the exudate, but cutting back the proud flesh yesterday almost made me heave... Lol!

I will look into it Firewell. I am a wee bit concerned about how he looks, but it's tough because he has EPSM and shivers so losing the muscle on his back end I think is slightly inevitable, but I'd like to see him a bit better covered. He's on Frickers Formula, copra, a few additional scoops of alfa a oil during re day to keep him busy and proper ad lib hay (an entire bale...) so he's not hungry at all...

spookypony

Visit site
I'm so glad to hear that things are on course! Try not to fret too much about the muscle wastage; it'll come back in no time, I'm sure! When will he be allowed outside?

teabiscuit

Visit site
So pleased that he's on the mend. Utmost respect for your attitude towards this. Geoff is a lucky horse, if a little accident prone!