Godolphin caught out.

Clodagh

Visit site
Where would I find the C4 interview? I would like to see it.

The BHA ought to have whizzed over to Bin Suroor's yard PDQ and tested everything there, and I bet if I owned two yards full of racehorses and one was found to be corrupt they would have done too.

bonny

Visit site
Does anyone have any idea why the authorities acted so fast in this case, when normally everything seems to take forever with their investigations ?
Something really isn't coming to light about the whole thing......

Fools Motto

Visit site
Crossed my mind that Al Zarooni has done what he has done to order.. from whom I'm not sure, and why is the question. Sure money has to be involved, and almost positive that he knew the outcome before it was, and didn't ''care'' because he himself would continue to have a comfortable life, and leave the mess for everyone else to clean up!

Just feel sorry for those who have connections with those top horses, and how it will effect all the prices and future in the breeding sheds.

Clodagh

Visit site
It would be interesting to see, in 10 or so years time, if Al Zarooni is living in a mansion in UAE somewhere!
I just watched the interviews and thought Paul Bittar came across well. Simon Crisford...well...all I can think is my Grandpa told me never to trust a man whos eyes are too close together. Slimey little weasel!
I do wish though that they would refer to al Zarooni as Mr or Mahmood...everyone else has a form of address or a first name that they use, its is all propoganda and manipulation.

Daffodil

Visit site
Bet Khalid Abdullah's thrilled about his colours being in the background of that interview!

What a little creep Crisford is :mad:

Honeylight

Visit site
Bet Khalid Abdullah's thrilled about his colours being in the background of that interview!

What a little creep Crisford is :mad:

What's Crisford's racing background? How did he get the job?
The way they all wear sun glasses always looks suspect to me, you can't see their eyes.

claracanter

Visit site
I feel there's a lot more to this than has come out. Will we ever know the full extent of Sheik Mo's involvement or how many horses/how many years it's been going on at Godolphin? Such a shame for racing

EstherYoung

Visit site
Statement by HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum on the decision by the Federation Equestrian Internationale (FEI) tribunal dated 31 July 2009

Following the communication by HH Sheikh Mohammed to the FEI that a horse belonging to His Highness had tested positive for prohibited substances, His Highness accepts the sanctions of the tribunal and has released the following statement:

“The fight against doping is a vital one for world sport and one which, as a lifelong horseman, I have supported vigorously for many years. Clearly I am disappointed that a horse which I rode in competition has tested positive for banned substances. I am pleased that the FEI tribunal accepted that both my team and myself acted promptly and responsibly in proactively notifying the FEI of my concerns, following tests conducted at my own stables.

Let me be absolutely clear: I do not approve of doping. All employees of my stables understand that we must adopt the highest standards of conduct, and that this includes the responsible use of medication consistent with horse welfare. I accept the sanctions of the FEI, and will only redouble my efforts to eliminate doping from equestrian sport.”

(from his Facebook page...)

Alec Swan

Visit site
I've just had a lengthy 'phone conversation with someone who I know very well, and whilst they are not in the employment of Godolphin, they are heavily reliant, as are many others, on the income that comes in to them, from the Maktoum family. They aren't alone.

The principal of Godolphin has, at least 400 horses in training, his wife perhaps 200, his brother and his son and his brother's son, probably another 1000. All these horses keep Newmarket alive, and provide work for a measurable percentage of the town's population.

Those who are employed directly by trainers and the yards and studs will amount to numbers which we'd have to guess at. To those, we can add the farriers, vets, saddlery businesses, feed merchants, the builders, plumbers and electricians, those who maintain the vast properties. The ancillary numbers, just in one town, bear in mind, will at least equal those in direct employment.

My friend says that there are many in Newmarket who've come to rely upon the living which the Maktoums provide, and that includes people taking out mortgages, marrying and starting families, all reliant upon one family. She says that there are many who are now very worried, and with good reason. She further predicts that should the Middle Eastern money leave Newmarket, then it'll end up like Lambourn, barely a village.

Whilst there can be no question of rolling over in the face of mind numbing generosity, with many, many supporting acts of kindness, of a philanthropic nature, including massive support for the AHT doing equine research, and all gifted to the town, we have to bear in mind that if the pressure becomes so great that there's a mass exit, then in the wake of that, there will be many who suffer, badly.

This friend of mine is convinced that the rot within the Godolphin set-up, isn't just endemic, it pervades the entire system, which includes the Endurance Riding set-ups. I suspect that Racing, and Newmarket in particular, have prostituted themselves in the face of such vanity, wealth and flattery, and if the area is rocked, then so be it, I suppose.

I'm not convinced of Bittar's statement that the Sheik isn't actually directing the enquiries, and having just read EstherYoung's offering, I'm ever more convinced.

Shaky Mo, I don't suppose that you'll read this, but you really have no right to exercise such control over others. You may rule Dubai, but you don't rule here, and despite your claims, I don't believe you.

Alec.

armchair_rider

Visit site
Crossed my mind that Al Zarooni has done what he has done to order.. from whom I'm not sure, and why is the question. Sure money has to be involved, and almost positive that he knew the outcome before it was, and didn't ''care'' because he himself would continue to have a comfortable life, and leave the mess for everyone else to clean up!

That was my thinking. I don't see how you can run a doping programme without somebody knowing

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Those who work for the Sheikh must be under tremendous pressure to succeed, otherwise they are replaced so it dosnt take an enormous leap of faith to realise they will use any method possible towards that goal.

silu

Visit site
It's a great pity that all countries don't have the same rules re steroid use as I think I'm right in saying that their use isn't banned in Australia. Surely with horses travelling the world to compete there should be an agreed policy by all countries? The likes of Takeover Target came over and won a race at Royal Ascot, the chances of him having been on anabolic steroids be they not administered for a period prior to the race must be pretty close to 100%, fair on horses trained in the UK? Well maybe yes as there has to be doubts now about whether British trainers are using the drugs so as to be able to compete with the Arabs. Who can blame them!? Takeover Target I think did test positive in Hong Kong for something but not sure if it was steroids or not. Similarly what are the chances Black Caviar has been given steroids? The whole flat racing scene is very unwholesome. To me unless the rules of racing are standardised world wide with rigerous testing and MASSIVE penalties for those caught cheating there should be no foreign based horse allowed to race in Britian which have been trained under different rules and that includes horses from the US who are permitted to compete in the US on our equivilent of Bute.
Personally I'd like the Arabs to pack up and GO HOME.Let them compete against each other in the likes of Dubai and do whatever they want with their poor horses. Would be delighted if they'd clear off from both endurance and showjumping too where no doubt other dodgy things have been going on.I'm old enough to remember before 1/2 if not more of each flat race was made up of Arab owned horses, was the racing less exciting then? NO the opposite. Of course those directly involved in flat racing will be assuring everybody that Arab owners know nothing and are innocent/squeaky clean. Who'd be stupid enough to kill the golden geese!?

Honeylight

Visit site
I am afraid that Alec is right. Too many people are dependent on the money the Maktoums pump into the sport in this country. They are so big & their tentacles spread across the racing world tightly.
We do not know what has gone on behind closed doors, for all we know they may have told the likes of Paul Bittar that any deeper investigation & they will leave.
I too remember racing prior to their involvement. Horses with English names, runners from lots of different owners in the big races, old fashioned old breeders who we assumed (& probably were sporting), Newmarket looking quaintly English, not like part of Dubai. Sadly we are not going to be able go back to that.

If they do leave many people involved in the sport will lose their livelihoods & their homes. Maktoum must know this, it is his security in all this. No one wants to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Sad thye took hold of our industry so tightly.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Fair point about Black Caviar and Aussie horses, she was the most muscle bound mare I ever saw.

There was talk of the mare coming to Royal Ascot again this year.

She was retired a few days before the Godolphin scandal hit the press.

She certainly was a strange shape.

amandap

Visit site
I've just had a lengthy 'phone conversation with someone who I know very well, and whilst they are not in the employment of Godolphin, they are heavily reliant, as are many others, on the income that comes in to them, from the Maktoum family. They aren't alone.

The principal of Godolphin has, at least 400 horses in training, his wife perhaps 200, his brother and his son and his brother's son, probably another 1000. All these horses keep Newmarket alive, and provide work for a measurable percentage of the town's population.

Those who are employed directly by trainers and the yards and studs will amount to numbers which we'd have to guess at. To those, we can add the farriers, vets, saddlery businesses, feed merchants, the builders, plumbers and electricians, those who maintain the vast properties. The ancillary numbers, just in one town, bear in mind, will at least equal those in direct employment.

My friend says that there are many in Newmarket who've come to rely upon the living which the Maktoums provide, and that includes people taking out mortgages, marrying and starting families, all reliant upon one family. She says that there are many who are now very worried, and with good reason. She further predicts that should the Middle Eastern money leave Newmarket, then it'll end up like Lambourn, barely a village.

Whilst there can be no question of rolling over in the face of mind numbing generosity, with many, many supporting acts of kindness, of a philanthropic nature, including massive support for the AHT doing equine research, and all gifted to the town, we have to bear in mind that if the pressure becomes so great that there's a mass exit, then in the wake of that, there will be many who suffer, badly.

This friend of mine is convinced that the rot within the Godolphin set-up, isn't just endemic, it pervades the entire system, which includes the Endurance Riding set-ups. I suspect that Racing, and Newmarket in particular, have prostituted themselves in the face of such vanity, wealth and flattery, and if the area is rocked, then so be it, I suppose.

I'm not convinced of Bittar's statement that the Sheik isn't actually directing the enquiries, and having just read EstherYoung's offering, I'm ever more convinced.

Shaky Mo, I don't suppose that you'll read this, but you really have no right to exercise such control over others. You may rule Dubai, but you don't rule here, and despite your claims, I don't believe you.

Alec.
Very interesting post. I had no idea of the scale of dependence on Godolphin in that community. An example of the power of money to make and break. Control as well of course.
To Godolphin this must be a hobby really but to the employees and those dependent on the industry it is their incomes and lives... :(

attheponies

Visit site
Mmm.. I'd have more faith in SM's denials if it wasn't for the endurance scandal. As for racing, well we had a horseracing industry before the Arab involvement and I feel sure it could continue without them. Who knows in a few years all the horses might have Chinese names!

Alec Swan

Visit site
As the heading of the attachment below, these are in published form, so they're for public discussion.

I didn't do the research, that was the work of a.n.other, who PMd this to me. I'm wondering what the opinions of others are.......

There's actually more, should you be interested! :D

Alec.

[The following are taken from the FEI Tribunal pages http://www.fei.org/legal_activities/...ons#2007_Cases

Printed records only go back to 2006 on the website

Horse Orkara Rider Sheikh Majid bin Mohd al Maktoum ( at the time a minor)
Trainer Ishmail Mohammed
Drug Gunanbenz action, lower blood pressure and decrease heart rate
Decision Horse and rider disqualified from the event, and as the rider is a minor the trainer is suspended for one year and fined CHF 5000

Horse Harmatan de Lozere Rider Alice Beet The horse was loaned to Alice, and given to her on the morning of the ride by the trainer
Trainer Ishmail Mohammed
Drug Dexamethasone action anti-inflammatory corticosteroid
Decision Horse and rider disqualified from the event, and the rider suspended for 3 months the rider is fined CHF 500 and owner 1500

Fenwick Kadenza Sue Sidebottom
Trainer Ali al Muhairi
Drugs Dexamethasone, phenalbutazone, a non steroidal anti-inflammatory Triantrinalone Acetonide a corticosteroid with anti-inflammatory effects, 3 hydroxymepivacaine local anesthetic
Decision Rider received 5 months suspention and CHF 1000 fine

Horse Castlebar Kadeen Rider Dhahi Abdulla Khamis al Dhahi
Trainer Mubarak Khalifa bin Shafya
Drugs Flunixin, Ketoprohen, non steroidal anti-inflammatory and Naltrexone an opioid antagonist
Decision The rider recived a 10 month suspension and CHF 3000 fine

Horse Tahhan Rider HH SK Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum
Trainer Abdulla bin Huzaim of Emmar Stables
Drugs Gunabenz a beta blocker used in humans to manage hypertension and has calming and analgesic effects, Stanolzolol anabolic steroid
Decision The rider received a 6 month suspension and CHF 300 fine The trainer received a 1 year suspension and CHF 4000 fine

Horse Eo Fawati Rider SK Hamden bin Mohd al Maktoum
Trainer Jauma Ponti Dachs Stable Emirates Endurance stables
Drug Stanolzolol
Decision Rider 10 month suspension and 3000 CHF fine

Horse Danjera Kadir Rider Rashed Mohd al Sayegh
Trainer Ali al Muhairi Stable Seeh a Salam
Drug Testosterone an anabolic and androgenic hormone as well as a potent anabolic agent
Decision Rider suspended 10 months fine CHF 1500

Horse Omani Iman Rider Dhahi Abdulla Khamis al Dhahi
Drugs Etorphine a highly potent opioid analgesic with neuroleptanalgesic effect. Hydroxyxylazine has analagesic, sedative, and muscle relaxing effects
Decision Rider 24 month suspention fine CHF 2000

Horse Sudan Rider Ali al Muhairi
Drug Etorphine a highly potent opioid analgesic which is stimulant in small doses
Decision Rider suspended for 10 months fined CHF 2000

Horse Kadjari de Serres Rider Mohd Ahmad ali al Subose
Trainer Mubarak Khalifa bin Shafya Stable Al Aasfa Ltd
Drug Stanolzolol anabolic steroid
Decision Rider suspention 12 months Fine CHF 2000

Horse Betshouf Rider Yahya Sughayer Khanoon al Atjaba
Decision Rider suspended for 2 years and fined CHF 1500 The horse suspended for 1year

Horse Castlebar Kadeen Rider Ahmad Salam Ali Sulttan al Subose
Trainer Mubarak Khalifa bin Shafya Stable Al Aasfa Ltd
Decision The rider suspension 2 years The trainer 2 years The Vet 2 years The horse 1 year

Horses Triassic, Hellow, Ocean el Dahman, Armins Zulu Riders 4 different riders
Trainer Ali Salmen al Sabri Emaar Stable
Drug 17 alpha hydroxyprogesterone hexonate a synthetic progestin with analbolic effects
Decision Trainer suspended for 16 months and fined CHF 1500 Riders 2 ,1 , 1 ,1 years

Horse Karabil Kaiya Hi Rider Rider Ali al Muhairi
Drug Testosterone an anabolic and androgenic hormone as well as a potent anabolic agent
Decision Rider/ Trainer suspended 4 years fine CHF 5000

Alec Swan

Visit site
Not sure what your point is here Alec, you need drugs to compete at the top in endurance?

The point is that all of those horses, riders, trainers and owners involved with the FEI Tribunals, were all found wanting for the use of illegal drugs. It wouldn't take a great deal to consider that if it's illegal in the world of Endurance, but practised, then those very same owners and trainers who are also involved in TB racing, here in the UK, would be hard pressed to justify a claim that the racing of TBs, here in the UK, is drug free.

It's all to do with the level of faith which the average punter (the real backbone behind racing), holds for those from the Middle East. It would also raise a question mark over those potentate's claims to innocence.

"The average punter", who it would seem has been, or was about to be duped, has had very little to say, so far. Racing actually exists for gambling, here in the UK, and the gambler is the man who funds much of the sport. Were the UK gamblers, to form a Union, then we may see a change.

Alec.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Your average gambler wants to win on a level playing field, I'd have thought. Consider also the other trainers, those who's horses are robbed of success. How do they explain to their owners, that they weren't in fact beaten by a better horse?

Did anyone hear Roger Charlton's well thought out words on CH4, this afternoon? He tweeted this; "Irish Field report use of anabolic steroids for horses in Ireland is illegal. Penalties range from up to 3 years in prison or €500,000 fine."

Alec.

bonny

Visit site
Your average gambler wants to win on a level playing field, I'd have thought. Consider also the other trainers, those who's horses are robbed of success. How do they explain to their owners, that they weren't in fact beaten by a better horse?

Did anyone hear Roger Charlton's well thought out words on CH4, this afternoon? He tweeted this; "Irish Field report use of anabolic steroids for horses in Ireland is illegal. Penalties range from up to 3 years in prison or €500,000 fine."

Alec.

Perhaps questions need to be asked then as to why the Dubai horses weren't superior to the supposedly non steroid treated horses ?

bonny

Visit site
Well, some people have been muttering about long-priced big wins by unlikely Godolphin horses.

That's inevitable but considering the amount of money spent on Dubai horses, the sheer numbers involved and wintering the best ones in Dubai not to mention the use of steroids they haven't been having alot of success recently.....