Gordon Elliott

Visit site
I was wondering what he'd have to be sat on to have his legs at such a perfect angle as to seamlessly fit onto the horse.

I can only possibly think of him sat on a chair or bench maybe? I don't recall seeing any pictures of him riding

He used to be a fairly decent amatuer jockey once upon a time. Before his love of food and beer took over!

The only way you could get an image of someone sitting like that is if they were indeed sitting on a horse at that angle - laying down asleep or dead.

Carmen6

Visit site
I'm another that Photoshops for a living. If there's any photoshop there, I'm not looking in the right place.

I concure with paddi22 about the light rim - it's just how light reflects around objects.

What makes people think it's been photoshopped? If it had, wouldn't it be easy for those being accused to produce the originals?

Visit site
I'm another that Photoshops for a living. If there's any photoshop there, I'm not looking in the right place.

I concure with paddi22 about the light rim - it's just how light reflects around objects.

What makes people think it's been photoshopped? If it had, wouldn't it be easy for those being accused to produce the originals?

Because they don't want to believe that it could be anything other than photoshopped. It's 2 weeks to Cheltenham and whilst he doesn't hold a strong hand in the major races he has a ruddy good chance of winning a lot of the handicaps.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

It is more a case of people hoping it is photoshopped rather than thinking it is. Racing is already an emotive subject for many, the death toll on NH courses recently is high and two high profile meetings are eminent. Not denying it is highly suspicious, any normal person would be mortified by such a disgusting action, but Mr Elliott simply says 'he will cooperate with enquiries'. Those are not his words, those are the words of a solicitor.

Those around him when that picture was taken are just as vile and complicit. Reading through some of the reports it seems the picture was taken last year, so someone has held it for a while before publishing it.

I just hope the horse didn't suffer and the authorities deal with the matter appropriately, somehow I doubt either.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
If it is true, then what a lack of respect that dead horse has been shown. One would hope such a high profile trainer should show more than that.

I'm not sure if I was an owner I'd want my horse in training with such a trainer.

Another death this weekend. With Cheltenham and Aintree looming surely the "ban racing" fratenitity will jump at the negativity this will bring. ?

minesadouble

Visit site
For the sake of racing I really hope its photoshopped.
Having been brought up on a farm I have a realistic approach to the end of life and believe that once an animal is gone it's gone and that is that. The animal, or human for that matter, is in the brain or soul dependent on your viewpoint. The body is merely the physical vehicle that enabled said animal or human to get from A to B.

I'm aware that not so many people share my view and would thus find this image offensive.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Having been brought up on a farm I have a realistic approach to the end of life and believe that once an animal is gone it's gone and that is that. The animal, or human for that matter, is in the brain or soul dependent on your viewpoint. The body is merely the physical vehicle that enabled said animal or human to get from A to B.

I'm aware that not so many people share my view and would thus find this image offensive.

I share that view. What astounds me is that he was stupid enough not to realise that most people don't. And that the picture will serve to reinforce the view that racing treats horses as disposable tools. Stupid, stupid man.

Visit site

I've worked in racing all my life. When I have to untack a horse that has died I am careful and respectful of the animal they had been. I know they are dead, I know they can feel nothing any more but they do still deserve respect. They have done everything we have asked of them and have sadly paid the ultimate price for their willingness. That deserves respect. It is the lack of respect I find distasteful.

For racings sake I do sincerely hope this is a hoax. But I have a feeling it isn't.

Clodagh

Visit site

I think perhaps there is being a realist and there is being unnecessarily insensitive.
I treat dead pheasants with more respect than that horse got.

minesadouble

Visit site
I share that view. What astounds me is that he was stupid enough not to realise that most people don't. And that the picture will serve to reinforce the view that racing treats horses as disposable tools. Stupid, stupid man.

100% agree with this. I'm even a bit careful what I say/do on my livery yard as I know that not everyone feels the same as me. As a figure representing the public image of horseracing surely you need to be even more careful.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I've worked in racing all my life. When I have to untack a horse that has died I am careful and respectful of the animal they had been. I know they are dead, I know they can feel nothing any more but they do still deserve respect. They have done everything we have asked of them and have sadly paid the ultimate price for their willingness. That deserves respect. It is the lack of respect I find distasteful.

For racings sake I do sincerely hope this is a hoax. But I have a feeling it isn't.

Can I ask if the industry is as disgusted as the general horse world is ?

minesadouble

Visit site

I totally get what you're saying, but for me the body isn't the animal if you get what I mean?
I even feel my own body is a bit like my car. It gets me to and from where I want to be, if I look after it well and feed it quality fuel I hope it will last longer than if I neglected it but when I'm dead you can chuck it on a skip for all I care. It serves me as a vehicle. I am my thoughts/feelings/memories etc., my body is not 'me'.

Wow I'm getting really philosophical for a Sunday night here!

Visit site
I totally get what you're saying, but for me the body isn't the animal if you get what I mean?
I even feel my own body is a bit like my car. It gets me to and from where I want to be, if I look after it well and feed it quality fuel I hope it will last longer than if I neglected it but when I'm dead you can chuck it on a skip for all I care. It serves me as a vehicle. I am my thoughts/feelings/memories etc., my body is not 'me'.

Wow I'm getting really philosophical for a Sunday night here!

I do 100% get what you mean. Maybe I am still a bit soft even after all these years but I would still rather be gentle with the body because whilst I am dealing with them they are still warm. They have only just gone so to me they are still there in a sense.

Don't get me wrong I have happily carved up and disected legs and hearts etc of horses but they were long dead and cold.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Absolutely! Even more so in fact because we understand just how much is at stake and how much these horses give us and deserve to be treated better regardless of being dead or alive.

Thank you, that justifies my comment at the first start of the thread, when I said I see this incident, if true, as the darkest day racing has ever seen.

paddi22

Visit site
it really highlights how once an industry involves money and animals they just become commodities that can be discarded once they are of no use. just for debates sake, on a scale of respect to animals, is sitting on a dead one any worse than sending how ever many (I don't know the figures) unsuccessful ones to factories for disposal? or is it just a more striking visual? is it worse than breeding animals that have no use afterwards if they don't make it on the track and instead letting charities and other people try to give some a home?

bonny

Visit site
it really highlights how once an industry involves money and animals they just become commodities that can be discarded once they are of no use. just for debates sake, on a scale of respect to animals, is sitting on a dead one any worse than sending how ever many (I don't know the figures) unsuccessful ones to factories for disposal? or is it just a more striking visual? is it worse than breeding animals that have no use afterwards if they don't make it on the track and instead letting charities and other people try to give some a home?
That’s all really a different issue, the point with the photo is that it’s a PR disaster especially with such a high profile trainer

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
IF he isn't photo shopped on and has actually done that, what do we think the repercussions will actually be?

Reading AA's licence link he's breached a lot of those terms plus hasn't he potentially brought the sport into disrepute?

The cynic in me says because he's a "big name" with a very large circle of influence, the most he gets is a slap on the wrist and a fine. Also given who a lot of his horses are owned by, that person comes across as being ambivalent at best towards the welfare of their horses, so won't be removing them from the yard. Said person is probably GE biggest source of income- the most that will happen is a few smaller owners will move their horses but they are a small percentage of his income. JP comes across as someone who cares about his horses- does he have any with GE?

teapot

Visit site
IHRB:

Rules relating to the Good Reputation of Horseracing
Rule 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276.
Includes information on:

• Conduct of Trainers
  • Bribes and laying horses to lose
  • Corrupt and fraudulent practices
  • Participation at unrecognised race meeting.
  • Acting in manner which is likely to damage the reputation of Horseracing in Ireland
  • Disqualified persons
Rule 272:

272. Any person involved in horseracing who, within the jurisdiction of the IHRB;
(i) whether verbally or by conduct or behaviour, acts in a manner which is prejudicial to the integrity, proper conduct or good reputation of horseracing (whether or not such behaviour or conduct, verbal or otherwise is associated directly with horseracing).

Better be more than a slap on the wrist if found to be true but whether that'll happen...

Last edited: