Gordon Elliott

SOS

Visit site
It’s the lack of professionalism bothering me and the way it looks to people outside of racing. Although I agree with the it’s only a body concept I don’t agree that it should be mocked especially when it belongs to someone else.

We unfortunately deal with dead animals everyday in vet practice and we would never ever pose in such a way or disrespect a dead animal. At the end of the day it’s someone’s pet or even a stray, it was alive not long ago. It’s not in our professional nature to not respect our deceased animals. This is what worries me. I’ve unfortunately worked with some less than nice vets and some that I have wondered why they are in the industry yet cannot imagine any one of them treating a dead animal in such a way or being so unprofessional.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
If the man had any respect for the horses in his care he would have sat on the ground to take that phone call, if he was so exhausted he couldnt have stood for a moment longer :( It is the bigger picture I fear though, aside from the fact that I would be worried what goes on behind the scenes. I absolutely love racing, have done for 50 years but not everyone feels as I do. Im no fluffy bunny and like several others have said, once a horse is dead, its dead. They still deserve to be treated with dignity and respect though, and a man in his position should be well aware of the public image of the sport. Ive long thought and have had it confirmed by others with more inside knowledge than me, that in general, the Irish do see racing as more of an industry and the horses as a commodity (not everyone but far more so than in the UK) This is going to run and run and not in a good way. His backers, sponsors and owners need to wake up and smell the roses for the sake of the sport (I see that Betfair already have)

Clodagh

Visit site
I must admit that I'm in the 'Well, it's dead now' camp when it comes to the body but I would have expected a trainer who wants people to send horses to him, to be rather more circumspect in his public behaviour. I wouldn't send a horse to him, because I would expect a trainer to have more sense and sensitivity.

I'm quoting your post but not specifically aiming the reply at you any more than ycbm and minesadouble who agree with you.
If your dog was off to the vets for an op, say a dental, and say it died under aneasthetic. Would you really be completely unruffled by the vet sitting astride its body and making gestures while photographs were taken? I just cannot get my head around that as an attitude.
I have untacked a horse that dropped dead and it's pretty difficult, but I was still as gentle as possible. I have held horses to be shot and put their head in a feed bag after taking the headcollar off, I have always been as circumspect as I can.
I have been on a flesh round with a huntsman who wouldn't have treated a carcass like that.
I cannot see it is defensible. Not just poor PR it showcases a whole attitude.

piglet2001

Visit site
This and his illegal 'bar' - it's all building up to show just what a horrid person he is. The more I hear from my racing friends in Ireland, the worse it all is. Racing has a hard enough time as it is without idiots doing this sort of thing. He should know far better, but then seemingly as he has not respect for humans or animals then it is of no surprise. The horse in question was a Gigginstown horse BTW.

What is his illegal bar?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
If it's real and I was the owner of that horse I'd be beyond furious. What a sick thing to do.

Edited, just saw it is, what a complete creep he is. Urgh, I hope he gets stripped of all support.

From what I've heard on other forums, so obviously may not be true, the horse belongs to one of his most prominent owners. Said owner has come out in support of him, which does not surprise me at all, given his attitude towards his horses

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Well apparently he has a bar at his yard and there are some videos of extreme partygoing, including women fighting and being cheered on. I haven't seen them, and tbh can probably cope with not!
This and the fight between Kate Harrington and another girl while he egged them on, as it was all about him in the first place. The more I hear the worse it gets.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
What was the name of the horse? That must be common knowledge now.

I've only seen speculation on a racing forum that it was called Morgan, and owned by the Burgandy colours person who has now come out in support of GE. Given his persistence with Tiger Roll, I am not surprised and some of what he's done with his other horses

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I sincerely hope that the IHRB and the BHA are totally aware that the decision they're about to make about this appalling affair will be one of the most important and far-reaching judgements made in the recent history of NH racing. I hope they get it right.
I just had to reply to say I singer everytime I see your user name lol

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Can I ask if the industry is as disgusted as the general horse world is ?
In work today our farrier commented to me how the racing world usually sticks up for or defends “its own” and that how in this instance that’s just not happening, people are shocked, saddened and disgusted.
We lost one yesterday and the idea of him being treated in any other way than with complete respect and care is incomprehensible

Squeak

Visit site
I sincerely hope that the IHRB and the BHA are totally aware that the decision they're about to make about this appalling affair will be one of the most important and far-reaching judgements made in the recent history of NH racing. I hope they get it right.

I definitely don't envy them. Especially with Cheltenham and the National so close.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but not really, the LR Facebook page had a video of the Grand National from way back on it a few days ago. I watched the video (I like NH but this made me feel sick) and it was fast and erratic and at one point there were two, obviously dead, horses lying on the landing side of a fence, while everyone cheered the others on. As the camera moved on, it looked like someone put a jacket over the head of one of the horses.

It was the Facebook comments that got to me, people saying that this was what the National should be, wasn't it wonderful, with the big (dangerous) fences of yesteryear and large fields, and not one mention of the dead horses.

It struck me at the time (and this was before the GE pic came out) that it wasn't really good PR for a trainer to be posting a video like this, and the comments from people made it clear that it was the thrill of racing that was important to them, not the welfare of the horses. I didn't go back to see if anyone ever actually showed any concern for them after that.

I think racing needs to take a long hard look at its PR, tbh.