Gordon Elliott

Andie02

Visit site
IF he isn't photo shopped on and has actually done that, what do we think the repercussions will actually be?

Reading AA's licence link he's breached a lot of those terms plus hasn't he potentially brought the sport into disrepute?

The cynic in me says because he's a "big name" with a very large circle of influence, the most he gets is a slap on the wrist and a fine. Also given who a lot of his horses are owned by, that person comes across as being ambivalent at best towards the welfare of their horses, so won't be removing them from the yard. Said person is probably GE biggest source of income- the most that will happen is a few smaller owners will move their horses but they are a small percentage of his income. JP comes across as someone who cares about his horses- does he have any with GE?

Yes Mr McManus has several horses with Gordon Elliott.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He must be friends with Dominic Cummings to have invented that excuse.

it is now sponsors and owners that are in the most powerful position to limit the damage done to racing’s image. The regulators can give him a slap and a silly boy reprimand, but sponsors and owners can make a far greater statement. If I was an owner my lorry would be on its way now. Not based on fear for my horse, but based on not wanting to be seen to be supporting Elliott regardless of how good a trainer he is. There are other highly successful trainers ready to take horses.

Every aspect of racing has to unite to defend the sport and I hope they do over this awful incident. The whole thing is so sad and so needless.

Visit site
Well that reason/excuse is so utterly awful no one is going to believe a word of it!

For a start - no one mistakes a dead animal for a chair.

Secondly - why would he himself get his hands dirty trying to move the body. At which you also would not need to straddle it you would be at the legs/hooves. Plus he has tractors out harrowing his gallops all day between lots. That horse will have been removed within 5 mins by one of them.

I hope the BHA take a better stance than the IHRB givan that Cheltenham is in 2 weeks and this isn't going to be able to brushed under the carpet quickly.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
It's a very soft excuse- even if he was preparing to remove the horse, surely the removal equipment would have had to be there right at that moment- you wouldn't stand over it until needed you'd just wait by the body? Also, even if he was stood over it, unless continuing to assist with one hand, when the call came in you'd step back and either lean against the rails or sit on the floor to take it....

I'm reading a racing forum- people are trying to defend him saying the horse is dead so it doesn't matter....

I'm far too soft to have a horse race, but if I did I'd far rather have someone like EKW's approach to a body than just treat it as an object. I know at that point in time it technically is but minutes earlier that WAS a living breathing animal so deserves a little more respect

It just adds to the image most people in racing see the horses as tools- effectively here he sees the body as a convenient chair. Would for example you see Pippa Funnell or Charlotte Dujardin sat on one of their dead horses like that. Especially with the V sign....

Unfortunately his main owner is the Burgandy colours person, who as I said previously seems at best ambivalent towards his horses- no way he removes them. At most you'll get a few small owners remove them- I would if I had horses with him- but they won't be the ones that bring in ££££'s so will barely affect him, then other dubious ethics owners will be quick to send him their horses.

Will racing do anything about one of the "big 4" (Willie Mullins, Gordon Elliott, Nicky Henderson and Paul Nicholls are in my opinion 4 biggest operations)

Not a chance in my opinion. They are too big and too much influence/ make up a lot of the fields. Most he gets is a fine and or slap on the wrist. No chance of a ban/ heavier punishment. Also isn't welfare in Irish racing a lot more questionable? And they'd be the authority dealing with him...

Maddie Moo

Visit site
This is under the IHRB rules for trainers, hopefully they’re actually going to act on it.

Rules relating to the Good Reputation of Horseracing
Rule 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276.
Includes information on:
  • Conduct of Trainers
  • Bribes and laying horses to lose
  • Corrupt and fraudulent practices
  • Participation at unrecognised race meeting.
  • Acting in manner which is likely to damage the reputation of Horseracing in Ireland
  • Disqualified persons
What a stupid excuse he has given, I too hope owners remove their horses from his care but I’m not overly hopeful.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
This and his illegal 'bar' - it's all building up to show just what a horrid person he is. The more I hear from my racing friends in Ireland, the worse it all is. Racing has a hard enough time as it is without idiots doing this sort of thing. He should know far better, but then seemingly as he has not respect for humans or animals then it is of no surprise. The horse in question was a Gigginstown horse BTW.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
It's a very soft excuse- even if he was preparing to remove the horse, surely the removal equipment would have had to be there right at that moment- you wouldn't stand over it until needed you'd just wait by the body? Also, even if he was stood over it, unless continuing to assist with one hand, when the call came in you'd step back and either lean against the rails or sit on the floor to take it....

I'm reading a racing forum- people are trying to defend him saying the horse is dead so it doesn't matter....

I'm far too soft to have a horse race, but if I did I'd far rather have someone like EKW's approach to a body than just treat it as an object. I know at that point in time it technically is but minutes earlier that WAS a living breathing animal so deserves a little more respect

It just adds to the image most people in racing see the horses as tools- effectively here he sees the body as a convenient chair. Would for example you see Pippa Funnell or Charlotte Dujardin sat on one of their dead horses like that. Especially with the V sign....

Unfortunately his main owner is the Burgandy colours person, who as I said previously seems at best ambivalent towards his horses- no way he removes them. At most you'll get a few small owners remove them- I would if I had horses with him- but they won't be the ones that bring in ££££'s so will barely affect him, then other dubious ethics owners will be quick to send him their horses.

Will racing do anything about one of the "big 4" (Willie Mullins, Gordon Elliott, Nicky Henderson and Paul Nicholls are in my opinion 4 biggest operations)

Not a chance in my opinion. They are too big and too much influence/ make up a lot of the fields. Most he gets is a fine and or slap on the wrist. No chance of a ban/ heavier punishment. Also isn't welfare in Irish racing a lot more questionable? And they'd be the authority dealing with him...

You are right there.

With regards to what happens when horses die on the gallops - in my time, there was not an audience. The trainer would not hang around for the removal, once it was ascertained that the horse was dead. All yards would have tractors and suitable gear for moving the prone horse away from the track until they could be collected and usually they would be covered over with a rug or tarp. Even removing the horse's tack would not require you to straddle the horse like that and there is no tack evident in the photo. It was a untasteful 'lad's' photo that someone quite rightly kept as evidence.

Snowfilly

Visit site
That is a grotesque photo. Any time I’ve had to be around dead horses, I’ve moved them with as much care and attention as I can; even the knackermen are careful and respectful and they move carcasses every day. I’ve removed tack from two dead ones and neither required straddling a horse like that, so I can’t see what he doing at all.

I appreciate it’s not hurting the horse, who is beyond caring, but it’s embarrassing to the sport as a whole and will only give more ammunition to people who say racing doesn’t care about the horses. It’s disrespectful and I wouldn’t want to leave a horse with him after that.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
. It was a untasteful 'lad's' photo that someone quite rightly kept as evidence.

He deserves what he's got coming to him but if it was kept as evidence there doesn't seem any reason why it wouldn't have been published immediately. This has, surely, been done by someone to get back at him for something? I wonder what that was!

Andie02

Visit site
He deserves what he's got coming to him but if it was kept as evidence there doesn't seem any reason why it wouldn't have been published immediately. This has, surely, been done by someone to get back at him for something? I wonder what that was!

He must have really upset someone for them to publish that photo, but what an absolute sicko to sit on that poor horse like that.

Velcrobum

Visit site
If he goes to Cheltenham it is probably a good thing for him that there are no spectators allowed. It will be interesting to see what the TV people do, ignore him, challenge him we will see. Awaiting with interest to see what action the authorities take!!

Orangehorse

Visit site

That's what I wondered. What moron would publish a photo like that unless there is a motive? Or that the person who published is an out and out moron, and they do exist with no thought to any consequences.

Nicnac

Visit site
There needs to be consequences beyond the Betfair decision which I wholly support. IHRB need to suspend him as anyone would if it were a employee undergoing investigation for such an abhorrent lack of respect to racing's finest - the horse.

reynold

Visit site
All decent people show respect for the dead, be it human or animal. Those who don't show respect don't deserve to be accepted within society. Elliot should be banned from training for at least 10 years.

I also look to the owners of horses trained by him to remove their animals to other trainers. Betfair deserve respect for being so prompt in severing their association with Elliot.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Yet another nail in the coffin for national hunt racing - a sport whose days (rightly or wrongly) are numbered. i worked in racing for best part of a decade, and I know that the majority of trainers and individuals in the sport are good people who have respect for the animals they train. But there are a 5% or so of people who don't - and even amongst those who do train with thought and respect, the sport itself is tough on animals. I worked for David Elsworth for many years, who gave up training National Hunt horses because he was sick of his horses losing their lives on the track. And that's coming from a champion NH trainer...

This photo will haunt racing for years. Like it or not, racehorses are not simply 'livestock' in the eyes of the public, and they cannot just be treated as such.

I hope that the Irish authorities take significant action.

And I hope that any additional motive for this photo being released is also investigated - because if this does stem from relationships where balance of power is being abused as has been mooted, then that needs to stop too.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The latest statement I've seen is awful! Apparently he sat down to take a phone call! Imagine being the owner of that horse!

I must admit that I'm in the 'Well, it's dead now' camp when it comes to the body but I would have expected a trainer who wants people to send horses to him, to be rather more circumspect in his public behaviour. I wouldn't send a horse to him, because I would expect a trainer to have more sense and sensitivity.