Gordon Elliott

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
So nothing really will happen.

I think a fine and temporary ban is appropriate. It's a horrible image, and while I certainly wouldn't want to hang out with the guy or let him train a horse of mine, he didn't actually cause any harm at the moment that photo was taken.

The damage done is to the reputation of racing, and there is no penalty that can undo that now. That image will live forever more in the public domain, to be plastered on the top of emotive articles written by the anti-racing lobby.

McGrools

Visit site
I hope he doesnt bring his horses to Cheltenham. They will have good chances of winning and the commentators are going to have a hell of a job dodging the elephant in the room.

rascal

Visit site
The thoughtless idiot has a ban in uk, he did admit the photo was real, really do hope the ban is made life time, and the arrogant prat loses his yard.

fankino04

Visit site
The thoughtless idiot has a ban in uk, he did admit the photo was real, really do hope the ban is made life time, and the arrogant prat loses his yard.
I agree that I don't want to see him making a living with horses in the future however I think a lifetime ban would be wrong when compared with other sentences handed down for other things. My wish is that he receives a substantial ban so all owners move their horses and then when he can start back up everyone chooses to have nothing to do with him.

tristar

Visit site
He was not found guilty of nobbling, but of allowing the horse to b e nobbled. This is Ireland, their racing stats have to be seen to be believed! I'm very sorry all honest Irish racing people.

sure i heard somewhere that horse racing ireland is installing cctv in all yards on racecourses to stop nobbling

AdorableAlice

Visit site
If GE were to be banned the horses would be moved to other yards, the staff would be needed elsewhere, surely?

You would hope so, the staff would be highly experienced. The yard may keep going with another name on the licence. Owners will have to make decisions after Friday and the outcome of the hearing. Racing Post is reporting another major sponsor gone.

Parrotperson

Visit site
I hope he doesnt bring his horses to Cheltenham. They will have good chances of winning and the commentators are going to have a hell of a job dodging the elephant in the room.

yeh. I was wondering about that. ITV Racing will be damned if they do and damned if they don't with regards to how much they say about or condemn Elliot. My feeling is he won't be allowed any runners at Cheltenham. Which will get O'Leary's back up again.

My problem is this: if that's what they do to the dead horses what are they doing to the live ones?

I know how much the stable staff care. (Elf makes that very obvious in all her posts, which are very enjoyable btw!) But I've worked on two yards over the years where it was all about the money and damn the horses. I once found a 3 year old in his stable with no bedding/water with his tack on and his reins tied to his girth in such a way that he could move his head. All because he'd been "naughty" when ridden that day. I untacked him put him in a different stake and handed in my resignation.

And this is what worries me about Elliot. He's raking in what? £600,000 a month (300 horses @ £2000pm minimum?). Now I know there are overheads obviously but that's still all lot of profit. Maybe he's just been seduced by the money now? Bearing in m ind he gets a % of prize money too.

I think the best option so the staff don't suffer is for his assistant to take over the training duties and Elliot gets a ban of say 6 months. and a heavy fine.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I see the Rob James photo well precedes the GE one. Part of his apology.

“I would just like to apologise for my actions which were wholly inappropriate and disrespectful to a lovely five-year-old mare, who unfortunately suffered a sudden cardiac arrest while at exercise earlier that morning, April 30, 2016.

I also note that that mare looked well fed and shiny. The one GE was sitting on looked very poor to me, did not look a well cared for horse at all.

fankino04

Visit site
Many many years ago I did my work experience from school in a very successful 2 year old flat trainers yard and the culture there was terrible. The horses were kept in an almost perpetual state of fear as the adraneline made them run faster, stable staff would enter stables with a shavings fork raised above their heads shouting at the horses who would pin themselves in the corner away from them or in some cases aggressively charge at anyone entering the stable. If you truly loved horses you couldn't have worked there for long. It really put me off racing until I went to mark Johnson's with a friend who rode exercise for him and saw how different his horses were and realised there are just some bad ones out there but also good ones too.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
The Morans have severed their company’s sponsorship deal with Elliott’s yard but have not removed their privately owned horses (nine runners entered for Cheltenham I believe) pending the outcome of IHRB hearing on Friday.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I wonder what the house
The Morans have severed their company’s sponsorship deal with Elliott’s yard but have not removed their privately owned horses (nine runners entered for Cheltenham I believe) pending the outcome of IHRB hearing on Friday.
I bet that there is more to this though. We are what 13 days from the start on 16th, not sure when these would travel. With the eyes if the world on him, nothing else bad should happen to animals in his care. Would you not think if you had a chance if winning stay put til they rin, then just have another yard for them to go to when they have run.
Called edging your bets but that would be a super up yours if they had huge wins and Mr Elliott then lost them. A bit like in bullseye.... this is what you could have won.....

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I wonder what the house

I bet that there is more to this though. We are what 13 days from the start on 16th, not sure when these would travel. With the eyes if the world on him, nothing else bad should happen to animals in his care. Would you not think if you had a chance if winning stay put til they rin, then just have another yard for them to go to when they have run.
Called edging your bets but that would be a super up yours if they had huge wins and Mr Elliott then lost them. A bit like in bullseye.... this is what you could have won.....
Yes, I think you are right GW. They have some very good horses running at Cheltenham and it would be hugely disruptive to move them to a different establishment now.

Nicnac

Visit site
I think a fine and temporary ban is appropriate. It's a horrible image, and while I certainly wouldn't want to hang out with the guy or let him train a horse of mine, he didn't actually cause any harm at the moment that photo was taken.

The damage done is to the reputation of racing, and there is no penalty that can undo that now. That image will live forever more in the public domain, to be plastered on the top of emotive articles written by the anti-racing lobby.

DabDab has hit the nail on the head as to appropriate outcome and factual account of the damage done.

I feel uncomfortable with the calls for lifetime bans and even worse threats etc. I don't know the man and neither do 99.9% of people commenting whether here or on other apps. Trial by social media doesn't sit well with me.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
DabDab has hit the nail on the head as to appropriate outcome and factual account of the damage done.

I feel uncomfortable with the calls for lifetime bans and even worse threats etc. I don't know the man and neither do 99.9% of people commenting whether here or on other apps. Trial by social media doesn't sit well with me.
Nothing to trial. He admitted it.
Bug difference.

bonny

Visit site

Just this, there is nothing that the authorities can do that’s worse that what’s happening on social media. It’s horrible and out of proportion and I suspect a lot of the truly vile things that people are saying are being said by those who had never even heard of Gordon Elliot before all this started.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Not only have we got the GE/RJ dead horses thing going on in racing, but next week it’s the magistrates’ hearing into the charge of ‘intentionally encouraging or assisting others to commit an offence under the Hunting Act’ against the Director of the Masters of Foxhounds Association.

Both are self inflicted grievous blows into countryside and equestrian sport, and are playing right into the antis’ hands.

Grim times, with so much fall out.

Clodagh

Visit site
Not only have we got the GE/RJ dead horses thing going on in racing, but next week it’s the magistrates’ hearing into the charge of ‘intentionally encouraging or assisting others to commit an offence under the Hunting Act’ against the Director of the Masters of Foxhounds Association.

Both are self inflicted grievous blows into countryside and equestrian sport, and are playing right into the antis’ hands.

Grim times, with so much fall out.

I don't think the hunting dickwads (are we allowed to say that on here!?) are comparable to GE. Most people haven't heard anything about it and have no opinion on the matter, a lot of people from all walks of life have some knowledge and an opinion about mocking dead racehorses.

Visit site
I wonder what the house

Cheveley moved their horses to guarantee them a run. If the British ban on Elliotts runners isn't lifted then they won't be running anyway.

As to young horses dropping dead - yes. Quite simply. They do. Racehorses have quite big hearts and some are too big for their body to cope with hence they pop like baloons sometimes.

Lady2021

Visit site
This isn’t targeted at anyone He is Ireland top trainer and he has had a lot of winners . They aren’t going to ban him from racing he has to many people supporting him. So the max he would get is telling off. Once the drop it the uk will have to lift the ban . The uk does seem a lot stricter when it comes to rules they where very quick to ban him from the uk.

My personal opinion is yes he done a stupid thing and it was disrespectful to the owner of the horse. I do think ban him is a little hash considering there people doing way worse in the equestrian world.

Snowfilly

Visit site
The back page of Telegraph sport has a very anti racing comment piece in it and the author says it is 3 a week. Quoting Animal Aid. That is an awful lot.

I don’t know what the stats are in terms of horses in training, but I’ve seen two non racehorses drop dead under saddle - one out hacking and one at a pole work clinic while warming up. A friend had a 9 month old colt die in the field in front of her, cantering along and then dead before he hit the ground; I know of other similar cases including a young Connie mare at a riding school. So it’s not unheard of.

I assume with the huge number of TBs in training, it might happen quite a bit.