Grain free food discussion on current concerns

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Bumping this up again.
I've asked what Edens percentage of chick pea is, because funnily enough that isn't disclosed.

By the sound of it, Eden and Millies Wolfheart feeds haven't been trialed. Using the website below, it means, they should feed to minimum of 8 dogs for 6 months. Dogs have to maintain their body weight, pass a veterinary exam, and have normal blood chemistry parameters at the end of the trial.. Millies said they'd get back to me as don't KNOW what a feed trial means?! Link

I am concerned, owning a cocker which is one of the breeds on the list and worried I could be feeding him something that could make him ill in his lifetime. Considering changing to a grain based food, with good levels of meat but seems impossible? Considering raw, but it looks to be rather expensive!
According to the food composition listed on their website the Country Cuisine is 3.5% chickpea.
ETA 2 of mine had been on Eden for more than 5 years, both had blood tests within that period, for other medical reasons, all parameters were normal, which I appreciate is not a clinical trial but...

Last edited:

Jenko109

Visit site
Naughty.

I am not personally against feeding some grains. I have found my sighthounds actually do better on a food that contains some grains. Some.

I feed Markus Muhle Black Angus which does contain whole grain rice.

I would not consider Hills.

maisie06

Visit site
I feed Millies wolfheart or Mole;s own grain free kibble, One of mine cannot have rice as it results in bright yellow liquid squits as he just cannot digest it, I used to feed RAW but since covid either the price has tripled (as raw has become fahionable) and the quality has dropped with a very high bone content in the cheaper ones leading to constipated dogs, so back to Kibble with some wet added, they have dog friendly scraps and love a slice of toast in the morning (3rd of a slice of bread each)!! They also have bonios etc so quite a varied diet.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I kept feeding grain free and just avoided ingredients like peas. I'm glad I did. I always fed raw but living on a boat doesnt leave a lot of room for the huge freezers you need. I do feed wings and ribs and various raw bits that I get fresh.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I have no skin in the game as my dog doesn't eat kibble. She doesn't eat grains, pulses, legumes, potatoes/sweet potatoes, but I'm still interested to know the cause of dietary DCM.

As I understand it, and feel free to correct me anyone, it isn't the absence of grains that is the problem, it is the inclusion of peas and pulses that is thought to be the problem.

Last edited: