Grain free food discussion on current concerns

planete

Just to check - you know this isn't actually added product?
Yes, I do know. I just copied the whole thing straight from the website and the protein and fat percentages are good. What shocks me is the total absence of meat, the animal protein content is the result of chemical extraction and is supplemented by protein of vegetable origin. Plus various yeasts again chemically manipulated as far as I understand it. Perhaps a home recipe made by adding a bit of protein powder available from Holland and Barretts to some boiled wheat, oat and barley, sprinkled with some fish oil and some yeast would do the trick just as well? it just does not fit my idea of food as wholesome, natural ingredients appropriate to a member of the canid family.

Clodagh

Yes, I do know. I just copied the whole thing straight from the website and the protein and fat percentages are good. What shocks me is the total absence of meat, the animal protein content is the result of chemical extraction and is supplemented by protein of vegetable origin. Plus various yeasts again chemically manipulated as far as I understand it. Perhaps a home recipe made by adding a bit of protein powder available from Holland and Barretts to some boiled wheat, oat and barley, sprinkled with some fish oil and some yeast would do the trick just as well? it just does not fit my idea of food as wholesome, natural ingredients appropriate to a member of the canid family.
Well I wouldn't feed it. Sorry for underestimating you! :)

druid

I'm going to rotate Eukanuba Platinum Performance and currently talking to the RC rep about their breeder program and what working options they have, although the breed specific Cocker looks interesting with specific supplementation for cardiac/DCM issues so may go that route. I will continue with the tinned (Rocco) and Raw they've had added. I want to wean to a grain inclusive diet now as come June the dogs move to the USA for a year so I need to be able to feed a grain inclusive diet there