Grand National 2012- Carnage! What did everyone think?

ASBO Bob

Visit site
I usually love horse racing so was looking forward to the GN today. But it was horrific! Far too many fallers, being realistic I was hoping for only three or less. And Synchronised and According to Pete being PTS is such a shame for owners and fans.
Surely it has to be made safer? I realise this gets said every year but today just seemed horrendous. Just a thought, did it seem to anyone else that the brush on the fences was slowing the horses in mid air who caught their hooves in it? Would they have slid over more birch style fences more easily?

tractor

Visit site
It's the first year that I've really felt sad - both horses looked so well, and were focussed on heavily in the build up.

I still like jump racing, but I am beginning to wonder why frequent horse deaths are "acceptable" in racing......if there were deaths every year at Badminton (for example) it would be cancelled or very heavily amended immediately......I don't understand why it's OK in racing.....

Thoughts to all involved with the two PTS, so very sad for you. xx

ASBO Bob

Visit site
totally agree with tractor. not only was 2 horses being PTS very sad but the number of horses battered and bruised by falling
and horses rolling over fallen jockeys!
Think its very lucky that none of the jockeys were seriously hurt- they must be very grateful for modern hats and bodyprotectors!

3Beasties

Visit site
I love racing and love the National but I am struggling to watch it more and more every year. Making the fences smaller or the course shorter will not help as they will just go faster causing worse injuries, the only other option is reducing the number of runners. It does seem like there are less fallers once the field has been halved but they could just be better jumpers then the ones that fall.

It's sad that the Winner is always overshadowed by the death of the horses, it's such a bitter sweet day :(

ASBO Bob

Visit site
I love racing and love the National but I am struggling to watch it more and more every year. Making the fences smaller or the course shorter will not help as they will just go faster causing worse injuries, the only other option is reducing the number of runners. It does seem like there are less fallers once the field has been halved but they could just be better jumpers then the ones that fall.

It's sad that the Winner is always overshadowed by the death of the horses, it's such a bitter sweet day :(

yes to the smaller field idea- a few times today when one horse fell it took down two more with it. having more space to get past each other might help...

dressagelove

Visit site
They were going on and on about how they are making these safety improvements, and horses have to have proven their capabilities before they can race. Clearly not making much difference is it? Too many fallers, and deaths. Any horse can be a gold cup winner and still fall and break its leg!

Horrible watching :(

touchstone

Visit site
I felt physically sick watching it this year, I'm sure I saw one horse galloping off with a damaged leg at one point and my heart was in my mouth with every fence after the first fallers.

It wasn't pleasant having to see the field go past the screened off fifth fence with everyone cheering them knowing a stricken horse was behind them.

I also thought that Claire Balding seemed upset at the end too.

Marydoll

Visit site
I enjoy the racing, but every year the national leaves me feeling like ive had enough. What a tragedy for these beautiful athletes, i cant help thinking if they were human, things would change .
There is no doubt in my mind the race could be made safer without compromising on the excitement for everyone.
Im not saying stop the race, thats not realistic, i am saying make it safer,for everyone and start by halving the amount of runners.
On another note can i just say I have nothing but admiration for the courage these jump jockeys show.

DunDally

Visit site
I think the only way forward is to reduce the number of runners. As the field thins out less fall. So sad for the two PTS. Any more news on Weird Al - when BBC coverage ended he was apparently still being treated on the course?

amandap

Visit site
"Of course it's the kindest thing"... to put the two who died down. Only humans can comfort (and even applaud) themselves with this sort of perverse 'rationalized' thinking. :eek:

It seems to be getting less 'safe' rather than safer. :(

tinuviel

Visit site
I love racing and the GN but today I didn't enjoy it, when I saw them bypass the fence my heart sank and I kinda hoped it was a winded horse or a jockey down but it was the worst possible news. I find it harder and harder each year to justify the GN even though I love it for the great sporting spectacle that it is.

Thought I heard Weird Al was also getting treatment, anyone hear anything or is he okay?

RIP Synchronised and According to Pete xx

lannerch

Visit site
What the hell was synchronised doing running such a hard race so soon after Cheltenham!
The equivalent of two badmingtons in little more than a month! Greedy greedy owners.

cptrayes

Visit site
I still like jump racing, but I am beginning to wonder why frequent horse deaths are "acceptable" in racing......if there were deaths every year at Badminton (for example) it would be cancelled or very heavily amended immediately......I don't understand why it's OK in racing.....

Up until now I just thought it was "one of those things" that just happens in jump racing. But your post really brought it home to me because it is spot on.

If it was Badminton, it would not be allowed to continue. If it was World Cup Show Jumping, it would not be allowed to continue. If it was Premier League Dressage ........ If it was any other horse sport at all, other than racing, killing horses almost every time it was run, it would be stopped.

And I now think it should be.

touchstone

Visit site
I enjoy the racing, but every year the national leaves me feeling like ive had enough. What a tragedy for these beautiful athletes, i cant help thinking if they were human, things would change .
There is no doubt in my mind the race could be made safer without compromising on the excitement for everyone.
Im not saying stop the race, thats not realistic, i am saying make it safer,for everyone and start by halving the amount of runners.
On another note can i just say I have nothing but admiration for the courage these jump jockeys show.

I agree maryoll, after todays race I think the chances of a jockey's fatality are also pretty high. :(

3Beasties

Visit site
I felt physically sick watching it this year, I'm sure I saw one horse galloping off with a damaged leg at one point and my heart was in my mouth with every fence after the first fallers.

It wasn't pleasant having to see the field go past the screened off fifth fence with everyone cheering them knowing a stricken horse was behind them.

I also thought that Claire Balding seemed upset at the end too.

I *think* the screen was up around a jockey :(

Does any one find it strange how they never really comment on how the jockeys are? Do we just have to assume that all are OK unless we hear otherwise?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
What about making the fences bigger again and running the race in groups of ten with either a final or fastest time wins. *dons tin hat*

Jesstickle

Visit site
I *think* the screen was up around a jockey :(

Does any one find it strange how they never really comment on how the jockeys are? Do we just have to assume that all are OK unless we hear otherwise?

FWIW- I was very concerned that one of the jocks stayed down. I sincerely hope they are ok. I'll confess, I am much more worried for fallen riders than I am for the horses.

swellhillcottage

Visit site
Too many runners they need to bring the maximum down by at least 5 in my opinion - and I felt sick watching it today also and I have grown up with racing and ithas been a big part of my life .........

3Beasties

Visit site
What the hell was synchronised doing running such a hard race so soon after Cheltenham!
The equivalent of two badmingtons in little more than a month! Greedy greedy owners.

Not helped by the fact that he dumped his jockey at the start and cantered about 2 miles before they even set off :(

Phoebe

Visit site
I think today has finally done it for me. I had a bad feeling about it when McCoy came off and synchronised legged it. What a shame they caught him. Why race him again?!! Had he not earned enough? I'm pretty disgusted really and I had the winner. After the start too?! What was that all about?! Why need them in a line with tape, it's not a 7 furlong sprint.

Racing, and all it's old gits needs to get up to date. It's not acceptable any more!!

3Beasties

Visit site
FWIW- I was very concerned that one of the jocks stayed down. I sincerely hope they are ok. I'll confess, I am much more worried for fallen riders than I am for the horses.

Everyone seems to forget about the Jockeys but at the end of the day the jockeys lifes are far more valuable then the horses :( (And I know people will disagree with me on that one but there is no comparison between a human life and that of an animal IMO).

Fools Motto

Visit site
Making the jumps smaller won't work... they go faster.
Reducing the length of the race won't work - they go faster.
Reducing the field numbers may work - but how can you prove it? They can still go fast, still get tripped up and are still jumping the big fences. As it is, they spread themselves out accross the course and appear to give each other room.
Making the sure the ''right qualified horses only enter'' - works until 'sods law' trips them up. Equally the same for the jockeys.

As far as I can tell, the only way of ''helping'' dampen the blow of fatalities is simply that - dampen it. Soften the ground, they will gallop slower because of it, and if they fall the ground helps. (not saying it will cure it - I doubt anything will). This spring has seen more fatalities on the flat than I care to remember. The going has generally been good, sometimes firm. Bloody sods law, hate it. No one is to blame for today.
Anyway, thats my thoughts.
Still feel desperatly sorry for all connections.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It's the first year that I've really felt sad - both horses looked so well, and were focussed on heavily in the build up.

Thoughts to all involved with the two PTS, so very sad for you. xx

Apart from the first sentence, I agree with all of this. Why does the british public adore this race that always ends with animals dying? I never understand it, generally the british are pro animals, but they seem to get swept up with the excitement of this race and not notice. The Grand National is somehow a british treasure, but I don't see what we are proud of really. I've never enjoyed this race. I think the horses are superstars, and the course is fine, but there are too many racing IMHO. Every years something seems to die, and more and more lately. Not my kind of sport of entertainment. :(