Gypsy Blood...anyone watching?

Dolcé

Visit site
I was surprised they allowed a lot of it to be filmed, wouldn't be a bit surprised if there is a huge uproar and prosecutions follow just because it cannot be ignored (or not because the authorities daren't take them on!!)

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Well, I guess as long as people pay their NI contributions, and their income tax, then they are entitled to use NHS hospitals once they have redesigned each other with machetes. :p
S :D

Keenjean

Visit site
I thought it was really quite shocking. The covk fighting, machetes, the things the kids are exposed to and the fighting itself were all quite an unpleasant eye opener to be honest.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
I wasn't shocked really apart from them showing the cock fighting and putting cameras on the dogs that brought down the deer. I wouldn't think they would have wanted them filmed doing that. I found it distasteful when they were chopping the deer in front of the kids and all laughing about it.
I have no problem with them hunting for the pot though, at least it isn't just for sport.
Must say though, what a good looking people they seem to be, I knew a couple of gypsy families when i was younger and were all very good looking. Different way of thinking to me, but it didn't make them all wrong, just a different background and upbringing.

Trinity Fox

Visit site
Good looking really:eek: I thought the cock fighting was vile and when the children were punching each others heads in I mean really in this day and age surely it is child abuse, if we for instance saw any other race or group of society allowing small children to do this would we allow it.

Any decent parent watching that had to cringe and as for it being tradition rubbish some countries allow female circumcision as tradition or beating your child if you think it is a witch but this is happening in this country and we are supposed to be civilised, it is on film we have evidence so it will be nice to wait and see what social services do I am sure if any of us did this to our children we would not get away with it.

There were also many other aspects that were illegal it is all on tape and as we all have to abide by the law I am sure steps will be taken to stop these people.:rolleyes:

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Many social services do not get involved with gypsys unless the police are involved first.

It's very very very rare to have a case of a gypsy family. I've only ever come across 2 in my whole social working life so far.

tinap

Visit site
I remember a case a few years ago where the parents (mums i think) were prosecuted for making their sons fight each other. I'm sorry but the 'sparring' on gypsy blood looked nothing like sparring to me especially after the young lad fell over & bashed his head & his dad made him carry on. It made me sick after they finished & both boys looked in tears while mum & dad kissed & hugged them.

I know they have their own traditions but it was uncomfortable viewing.

& don't get me started on the cock fight

merlin12

Visit site
I was shocked by the cock fighting ,totally cruel. Although I found the scenes of coursing and shooting upsetting they were hunting for the pot. Is it not better for the children to see what eating meat is truly about ,rather than the sanitized purchase of a cellophane wrapped potion of meat from Tesco or Waitrose.

Bringing up children to fight is worrying, but they did show disciplne and direction. There are lots of kids, form rough areas, hanging round the streets causing trouble and getting involved in crime. Family was obviously very important.

The organized fights at least had referees and rules ,unlike the fights that take place on a Saturday night out in Swindon.

Felt sorry for the poor guy who got attacked with a machette,obviously got involved with the wrong crowd. Shows we don't all live by the same rules.

There are good and bad in all walks of life.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
The cock fighting was horrendous.
Not bothered by the hunting parts, although I had to wonder whose deer that was (I assumed perhaps wrongly that it wasn't just a wild random deer! judging by how fast they legged it :D) Even playing with the carcass, although distasteful isn't wrong or bad.
The fighting was odd, although what struck me was it did seem to have some kind of order and "honour" if you can call it that.
Fred was clearly very shaken and it seemed to me more so, because these people hadn't followed the code that he was used to and it seemed to shake his very world. Just as one of us getting beaten up in the first place, would.
I don't agree with it but they go into it eyes wide open once they are grown men, they know what they are doing and they choose to do that from both sides. So I can't really judge that.
Big shame the kids seem to get indoctrinated into it before they really have a chance to make a decision whether they want to or not, but they seemed nice kids really. :(

lazybee

Visit site
Child abuse........animal abuse. I wish some people would get off the fence. Two wrongs never make a right. The old 'worse things happen blah blah' comments don't justify anything do they?

I could even be argued this is still a santised version. Anyone hear about the 'travelers' killing Roe deer with inner tube catapults and lawn mower blades?

scrunchie

Visit site
I knew you lot would be talking about this :D

I didn't like the kids fighting but that's what that father was all about. He lived for fighting. You couldn't really expect any better from him. The mother (or maybe aunty?) was concerned that the little boy had smacked his head on the concrete but the father wanted the fight to continue. The other father seemed a little more balanced in his approach to life.

The hunting scenes didn't bother me. It bothered me more that the C4 decided to put a camera on the dog. I think that was pretty uncalled for. We all know what death looks like. They seemed to want to sensationalise it and probably rile the general public again. As for them cutting the deer up in fromnt of the kids, I've openly plucked and gutted pheasants in front of mine. In my mind it does them good to see where their food comes from and that if you want to eat meat an animal's life must be lost.

Don't get me started on the cock fighting though...

Last edited:

Andalusianlover1

Visit site
I watched it but went to bed before the end, I couldnt watch it any more. The cock fighting and the dogs killing the deer horrified me, I couldnt understand why illegal stuff was shown on the telly. Some travellers seem to think they are untouchable and beyond the law. Was surprised at the amount of overweight little boys too. It was as though the children wernt allowed a "normal childhood" they had to be mini adults as soon as they could walk. I've had very young traveller boys like those on the programme last night try and sell me a pony before now, their patter is exactly the same as their fathers!

Sad programme and very sad me for watching it!

katef2020

Visit site
These people say ` its their way' , or `its their culture' .Ii any other group of people brutalised their children and acted like this in a decent, civilised society we would rightly take action against them .
This is `culture' being used as an excuse.
I have no doubt there are aspects of Gypsy life that are admirable - their family cohesion , for example ,- but to see fathers condoning chidren beat each other to a standstill, while their mothers (!) looked on , was vile .

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
Well, I guess as long as people pay their NI contributions, and their income tax, then they are entitled to use NHS hospitals. :p
S :D

I didn't see the program but this made me laugh. As if!

At least the public are seeing the other side rather than just the big fluffy wedding dresses :cool:

Jake10

Visit site
Didn't like the bit where the boy admits his dad beats the boys dog as the dog bites the dad when the dad hits his son. Didn't like the cock fighting especially the close up of the birds exhausted/dying. I found very little to like about the program :eek:

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
These people say ` its their way' , or `its their culture' .Ii any other group of people brutalised their children and acted like this in a decent, civilised society we would rightly take action against them .
This is `culture' being used as an excuse.
I have no doubt there are aspects of Gypsy life that are admirable - their family cohesion , for example ,- but to see fathers condoning chidren beat each other to a standstill, while their mothers (!) looked on , was vile .

This. The only reason it is allowed is because the laws that apply to 99% of the population are brushed under the carpet when it comes to this group.

I have no problem with adults fighting each other but just like the little girls indoctrinated to focus on one special day with the promise of a trailer of their own and a lifetime of cleaning and denied a proper education, the little boys are indoctrinated with a culture of violence, animal abuse and a lifestyle that involves paying no income tax. To me it is child abuse and should be treated as it would be if anyone in the settled community behaved the same way, but it isnt because it makes for a quieter life if the traveller kids are not in the schools and if the abuse and anti social behaviour is ignored whenever possible.

marmalade76

Visit site
This. The only reason it is allowed is because the laws that apply to 99% of the population are brushed under the carpet when it comes to this group.

To me it is child abuse and should be treated as it would be if anyone in the settled community behaved the same way, but it isnt because it makes for a quieter life if the traveller kids are not in the schools and if the abuse and anti social behaviour is ignored whenever possible.

I quite agree.

They regularly go hare coursing on a farm belonging to my OH's cousin, but they daren't confront them for fear of reprisals, they just let them get on with it otherwise they'd be waking up to a barn fire.

In some ways I am quite cross that such people are being given such a lot of air time ATM, but perhaps it's a good thing for the world to see exactly what they get away with.

Elsbells

Visit site
I thought it all looked a bit fake.

Watching them try and butcher the deer, then b-b-q the rabbit? They looked like a bunch of amatures TBH. How they say they live and how they actually do live are very different.

Chloe..x

Visit site
I thought it was horrendous! Child abuse, animal abuse, I could go on.
I think fair enough that the deer was used in the pot but the way in which it was killed was not humane in the slightest as for the cock fighting... dont get me started.
Then watching the parents encourage children to beat the **** out of each other was not a nice watch. I was truly shocked by what I watching and how they get away with such barbaric behaviour.

scrunchie

Visit site
I thought it all looked a bit fake.

Watching them try and butcher the deer, then b-b-q the rabbit? They looked like a bunch of amatures TBH. How they say they live and how they actually do live are very different.

I thought he gutted the rabbit quite deftly.

Not so sure about the deer.

It may have been hyped up for the telly. Most 'reality' programmes are.

ladyearl

vvv
This has been bugging me all day. I can't get my head about the fact that illegal acts were filmed and shown on TV.

I don't like fighting between people but it is a huge part of their culture and I respect their right to that. Showing children the reality of eating meat, I can see sense in that, although a little more respect to the dead animal would have been nice.

I do not like to see children fighting and I'm not sure that it is legal, was disgusted that the boy hit his head on the concrete and was made to carry on. I don't imagine that the mother would have fared to well if she had taken a stance though.

The cock fighting, the hare coursing, the deer hunt - all illegal acts as far as I was aware.

So the message seems to be if you would like to conduct an illegal act then channel 4 to film it and you'll be fine. ???????????????????

SusannaF

susannaforrest.wordpress.com
I quite agree.

They regularly go hare coursing on a farm belonging to my OH's cousin, but they daren't confront them for fear of reprisals, they just let them get on with it otherwise they'd be waking up to a barn fire.

In some ways I am quite cross that such people are being given such a lot of air time ATM, but perhaps it's a good thing for the world to see exactly what they get away with.

Why don't you alert the LACS? ;) I'm sure the hunt monitors won't stand for this sort of thing. Or the cock fighting.

ladyearl

vvv
Have heard through another forum that LACS have been informed and the police are investigating.