Halloween Weekend Plans!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Argh it's thursday! who has got plans?

not a lot on here (what's new :rolleyes:)

Had a lesson this morning, really good start to the day. Kira was rude and fresh as she's had 2 days off, but settled to her work. We got some super canterwork done, really engaged, really balanced, really straight, really collected and uphill, felt amazing. rode a line of 1 tempis and then she got so up herself with smugness it took 2 laps before i could get the good canter back to have another go, haha. she loves doing tricks, she just has to learn to listen to directions even when she's having fun ;)
Anyway it was good that trainer agreed with my assessment that we have to just crack on with the 1s until it's really secure, if we can develop that canter before and after at the same time then it'll pay off for all the other canter work anyway.

Other than that... just more catch-up poo picking, if it ever stops raining o_O

soggy:
123352072_3765004783511004_2012595609796543062_o.jpg

Roxylola

Visit site
Hacked this morning, good canter before the rain came! I think I'll have to ride in the arena tomorrow just to work on the lateral stuff for a bit.
Lesson on Saturday (outdoor) and our BD debut on sunday, 2 novice tests at a local venue (indoors yay) we've been there before though and it all feels a bit tight in their indoor somehow so wheels might fall off ?‍♀️

ihatework

Visit site
The short fat ferel one is being extracted from the field and dropped off at boarding school. I’m currently debating whether I should make a token effort to clean him just to look willing ?

8 weeks ago he was starting to semi resemble an event pony. Now he could take credit for an overgrown thelwell character ?

D72E4E0F-5BFD-43C5-930E-27987A6BC6F2.jpeg

quiteniceforacob

Visit site
I’m out of self isolation tomorrow so got a lesson in the morning, then a day sorting stuff out (horse’s tail and laying rubber matting).

Saturday we have a yard gymkhana (adults and kids) and then Sunday will do some schooling.

Had planned to enter local unaff dressage (intro) next Sunday, but with 12 days out I don’t know if we’ll be ready. I know it’s only intro but he needs some work on bending on the right and work on his stamina so we’ll see where we are tomorrow.

He’s my first horse and I’ve been away from the yard for longer than he’s been here! On the plus side, I feel as excited as I did the day he arrived!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Absolutely no plans for me - I've been out of self-isolation since Monday but share horse's owner asked if we could wait a week more before I'm back at the yard as an additional caution. Disappointing for me but I understand her concerns. Last time I was there and brought share horse in he said 'hello' to me for the first time when I went to his field. I know it's probably just that he has learned that I am an additional bringer of food but still, it warmed my heart and made me love him even more!

So I'll be reading on to see what others are up to and look forward to pics and updates regarding the various activities planned :)

Also probably horse window shopping online. Possibly related to me being starved of horse things for a couple of weeks but have been thinking more seriously for a while now that ownership is something I'd like to go for. Not likely in the imminent future but I can make a start dreaming/plotting/researching/topping up the horse fund... :D

oldie48

Visit site
The weekend started early for Rose as sharer had a lesson this afternoon with Peter Storr. He watched S warm Rose up and totally got her. I've not watched him teach before but I learned a great deal and he's given S some really helpful advice on how to keep Rose onside whilst encouraging her to work in a more advanced frame. He liked Rose, thought she had three good paces and especially liked her walk, which can be huge but can easily spoil the quality of the trot transitions if the walk isn't contained and she's encouraged to keep her hind legs quick. I think that makes sense? I especially liked the way he engaged with S rather than just tell her what to do. Rose did some very promising work and for a pretty high profile guy I found him very friendly and approachable. We will be returning. Rose is having tomorrow off and Saturday and Sunday S will school and probably do some pole work. I hacked Rose yesterday and she was a delight to ride, the contact is much improved and she was nicely forward without being silly and very soft in her neck. I am missing riding her so it was great to be on board even if I got soaked. I am feeling better today so if I feel well tomorrow I intend to do some in hand work.
Have a lovely weekend everyone and I hope you keep dry.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I pootled this afternoon in the dusk as was tipping it down this morning.
Tomorrow or Saturday possibly boxing over to friend to use her arena for a short time, otherwise pootling each morning.
SP'd you are welcome to try and find my yard to meet the Fuzzies if you get huge withdrawal symptoms.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Not too much happening for us over weekend - a lesson booked for Saturday, and I think I will try a bit of in-hand stuff with Maddie on Sunday - very weather dependent as it's meant to be raining and windy. Here is a picture from yesterday. We had a good session - just chipping away at finding out what makes her tick, and me slowly gaining the confidence to ask a little more of her. ???

122661799_1842167105922308_8481877321031461641_o.jpg

Have fun everyone, whatever you are doing, and keep safe. xx

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I pootled this afternoon in the dusk as was tipping it down this morning.
Tomorrow or Saturday possibly boxing over to friend to use her arena for a short time, otherwise pootling each morning.
SP'd you are welcome to try and find my yard to meet the Fuzzies if you get huge withdrawal symptoms.

Oh thank you that's very kind. I need to try and remember which other HHO'er on here offered too - perhaps I could go on tour! :) with offerings of cake and/or poo picking in exchange for getting my horsey fix :D :cool:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Oh thank you that's very kind. I need to try and remember which other HHO'er on here offered too - perhaps I could go on tour! :) with offerings of cake and/or poo picking in exchange for getting my horsey fix :D:cool:
No poo picking required, tho I'm very happy for the yard broom and assorted grooming brushes to be wielded at the 2 tinies ?
Other 'locals' in this corner of the county would be ownedbyaconnie and Timbobs I think.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I am local however atm completely swamped with revision for my chartered tax exam, Work, plus looking after the dog, cat, horse and next doors 3 chickens whilst they are away, all whilst OH is away on his corona army duties so no one to help with general house work which doesn’t seem to have decreased. Only positive is I don’t have time to miss OH!

I have given myself tomorrow morning off work and revision to avoid burnout and am taking pony to a sj course hire for a lesson. My first actual lesson over a proper course as opposed to a few jumps popped up at home so I’m excited! Then a hack Saturday and sj comp back where I’m hiring on Sunday to hopefully put what we’ve learnt into practice. Then no riding/pony outings till after my exam in just under two weeks ?

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We are off eventing again! Had an amazing lesson on Wednesday for prep, Hen was flying and very adjustable so I know we will have 2 phases in the bag. Just need to convince him that dressage isn't that bad, and certainly not worth getting tense over.

He was very happy and excited for our ride this morning, I usually ride after work but it's hot (37!) today and the farrier is coming later so switch it round. He thought it was all rather fun and that I am a boring mother for stopping his fun. He will get a bath and plaited later and I am hoping the weather forecast for cool and rain happens tomorrow and Sunday!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
After getting difficult Amber news, my motivation to ride Toby fell off a cliff. But I know that I will want to be out eventing next season and need to put in the work now to make that a reality. So I've been making myself crack on. I feel quite guilty actually: he is such a lovely horse and it's not his fault he's a replacement for an irreplaceable horse! He was never meant to replace her, just to be a fun project to enjoy till she came back into work.

But anyway, I had a jumping lesson yesterday and he was fantastic. Really enthusiastic. And tomorrow I am trying a new dressage instructor which I am looking forward to.

Chippers1

Visit site
I am entered into the Arena eventing at Eland (and was hoping to redeem myself after last time!) but i'm in tier 3 so no idea if i'm going to go or not :( Eland haven't said anything - I have seen other venues posting about it so i'm undecided.
If i don't go then will probably hack, but the weather isn't looking good and i'm not feeling riding in the rain at he moment!

Buzz had the dentist and was microchipped yesterday and disgraced himself for the dentist, after i told him he is normally fine...I don't think he liked him very much! He was very good to be chipped though which made up for it as I was really worried, he hates any vet going near his neck after an incident in his old home (normally vaccinated in his chest) but he stood really nicely.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Thats frustrating Chippers. Everything is changing so quickly that its hard for people and venues to keep up. I dont even know what the rules are anymore either.

We took Dolly to Eland to school over the AE course. There were 12 XC fences up which I assume were 2 from each height? Ie 2 at a metre. Dolly was awesome. She jumped everything so easily including those 2 metre fences. She's such a special pony

IMG_20201027_175145_961.jpg

Bernster

Visit site
Wow great pics there.

A bit all over the place this weekend. Moving one horse and kit to new yard. Yay. Waiting on some test results for the 2nd before he’s allowed to move but hopefully will be sorted soon too. Lesson yesterday on the new loan horse penny. She’s a sweetie but really does prefer to be a giraffe so that’s an interesting thing to work through. Am trying a few things and I know I need to be patient and it will come but it feels a way off yet!

Ins is very good though, and we’re doing it the ‘right’ way round iykwim - not hauling in the front end but working on it coming through from the hind and over the back, and learning to bend and get supple. I don’t remember this with finnegan but apparently I’ve forgotten that we had all the same issues when I first got him! Although his tendency was to over bend.

Michen

Visit site
Well we were hunting but weather looks so awful I think I’ll skip. Both boys have been clipped (I had originally left a bum on Boggle, but he’s just as nutty, so took it all off this time). He’s very pleased to be looking like his beautiful, elegant self once again! The hairy legs were truly upsetting me so I feel better too ?

69913B41-F25D-4D54-8B86-1FCC1727864E.jpeg

j1ffy

Visit site
It sounds like lots of good weekends are planned as well as some sneaky Friday activities!

AmE - I'm so sorry about Amber, I just went to look at your other post to see what has happened. I know a lot of people have suggested Rockley and I'll add to those with positive stories from there, they do get a lot of horses through now that are already barefoot but still lame, the rehab is a lot more than just being barefoot. It might also be worth a chat with Krista Jones at From The Ground Up (you'll find her on FB) as she's offering rehab either at her Reading base or remotely. Big hugs xx

Talking of sneaky Fridays - we started this morning with our Andy Thomas clinic. It was fab, I could really feel the difference and finally felt like I was really sitting into Danny's canter. Sitting trot will take longer :p I was also really pleased with Danny's attitude, once again he arrived at a completely new place, happily stood tied to the lorry and loaded straight away both times. He's turning into a very straightforward horse! We've got a test riding clinic on Sunday too, which was postponed from the last storm.

On the downside, I was expecting Chilli to head home from Spain this weekend and I've been so excited about seeing him, after all three of my planned trips there were cancelled due to effing 'Rona. However his trainer's car was stolen last night and guess where Chilli's passport was... Best case is the car turns up - they often get nicked for drug running in that area (especially battered old 4x4s like my trainer's) then abandoned. Worst case is we have to apply for a duplicate passport and he can't get on a lorry until that arrives. I'm gutted, and the trainer is devastated - I think he's more upset about the passport than he is about his car :(:(

JulesRules

Visit site
I'm a bit gutted as my clinic with Olivia Towers for tomorrow has just been cancelled. Not her fault, just lots of people dropping out for Covid reasons meaning it's not really worth her while to come for 3 people. Thinking of hiring the arena anyway just to get out as the lorry MOT runs out tomorrow so I should make the most of it in case we have any issues!

Saddle fitter coming in a while. In fact I should get off my backside and go and fetch in ready...

Smudgie's sharer is picking up her new youngster today so maybe I can go and meet her to cheer myself up ?

Chippers1

Visit site
I've cancelled my entry :( decided it wasn't worth the risk of going from tier 3 to a different area. They don't transfer entries but have very kindly refunded as it's due to corona. Now i'm sad i have 28 days of no playing :(

j1ffy

Visit site
Thanks for the link @Jiffy

I had no idea Krista had set up her own place. I remember her story with Buddy so excellent to see shes doing so well

She seems to be doing great with the rehab side of things, she only takes one rehab at a time I think but has a few remote clients (which is such a good idea IMO). She's had some bad luck with her horses, they seem to be excellent at finding seriously obscure problems to be afflicted with :(

Reactions: TPO

DressageCob

Visit site
No real plans for me. Just playing at home. My work has got busy again so I need some time if just fun playing and relaxing. I’ll be at the yard all weekend no doubt, but in a non-pressured, relaxing sort of way ;)

I went for a cheeky BD outing on Wednesday. It was foul weather. I was very pleased with both of my horses, and felt there was real improvement in both of them since they were last out. The big lad was in a much softer frame, and I kept him more balanced after the canter half passes, they just needed a bit more flash next time. The little chap tried his socks off. Last time we were there he really worried about the surface, because it’s inconsistent in colour. He is a little funny with surfaces; I think it’s because he can’t judge depth the same anymore. So he jumped some patches of surface during his test last time, just in case. This time he was settled and soft and did a pretty decent E50. His canter was better than it has ever felt at a competition.

Alas, the judge had her harsh pants on so disappointing scores all round. But I’m still delighted with my boys’ performances. I have no further outings planned for now, so I can focus on improving things at home so it’s more established. Although I am tempted to chase a petplan qualification with my little cob, just to say he achieved it. It’s like I’m going through a bucket list with him, since he’s having a second wind!

TPO

Visit site
She seems to be doing great with the rehab side of things, she only takes one rehab at a time I think but has a few remote clients (which is such a good idea IMO). She's had some bad luck with her horses, they seem to be excellent at finding seriously obscure problems to be afflicted with :(

I didnt realise that, what a shame. I lost track after she left here and stopped her buddy blog