Hand hold needed

Trouper

Visit site
It's such hell going through it but all will be well in the end - for both of you. Stay strong for him and then look after yourself - we're all thinking of you.

Baywonder

Visit site
I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

It is an awful thing to have to go through, but you must do what is right for you. There is no written rule to follow, so please don't feel forced into doing something you don't feel comfortable with.

I was with my old boy when he was PTS, and I held him when he went down. I spent a little while with him afterwards, but then a friend gently ushered me away when it came to burying him. She told me it was not a nice thing to watch, and to be honest I have always been glad I walked away at that point. :(

That was the right thing for me to do. Please do what is right for you too. <<Virtual Hugs>>

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
You're 100% doing the right thing.

Even if you're not the one physically holding him at the very end, you're still there for him until the very end by doing right by him.

Horses don't know that they're 7 years old, they don't know that they could've lived a different life, or go by "what ifs" we often guilt oursevles far more than we ever need to.

My thoughts are with you tomorrow. It really is the right and best thing to do.

View

Visit site
You’ve made the decision to ensure he doesn’t suffer.

There is no shame in asking someone else to be there at the end - you are ensuring that his last moments are not distressed by your distress.

I couldn’t hold my boy, but I’ve held plenty for others - so no one will think any the less of you.

Another one holding your hand and wishing you peace when he’a at peace.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Big hand hold and hug from me.

It'll hurt horribly but their will be relief too that you did the right thing and that he'll never have to suffer.
Xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I shall be thinking of you tomorrow. It is always a horrible decision to have to make - they really should be immortal, or at least as long lived as tortoises! It does feel worse having to make the decision when they are young but imho, it doesn't make much difference on the day whether they are young or old, it's still a huge loss. I can be very business-like until afterwards but if you can't, it might well be better for the horse if someone else holds him, or he could pick up on your distress and be aware that 'something' is happening, which you don't want for him to do. Whatever you decide will be the right thing for you both.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
So sorry to hear this. Whatever way they go it's wrong, if you plan it you wish it was a decision you had to make their and then and if it's a decision you have to make their and then you wished you could plan it.

But as a kind and insightful owner you know in your heart thus is a very tough but right decision to make. Some times you can't face it some times you can. Either way you cared enough to do the right thing so don't put pressure on yourself if you do t want to be with him then don't. I have been with all of mine over the years bar one when I was 12, it never gets any easier and you feel hollow inside. I always send the vet's a card to say thank you as this must be such a hard part of the job, not as bad as not being able to treat an animal cause the owners wont pay, but it's not one I could do.

Hugs and hope the sun shines and it all passes peacefully.

Hugs x x

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Thinking of you, the last night is horrid and waiting time too. Doesn't matte if you can be there or not, do what is right for you. I was hugging mine as she dropped.

That is a lovely thing scatter his ashes. stay strong.

Keira 8888

Visit site
Thinking about you. Putting your horse first is the most loving incredible thing you can do. I’m sure he will be smiling down on you from that giant pasture in the sky with gratitude and love. Sending you love and hugs x

Cragrat

Visit site
I'm thinking of you today - Hope it goes well it perhaps not the right thing to say, but you KNOW you are doing the right thing. Take care of yourself afterwards x