Harry Meade

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Short of using cages or Barnes buckles, I think the latter are allowed BE but the former aren't, this is a risk with any pair of stirrups if things go wrong in exactly the 'right' way :(.

I bought barnes buckles, they promised they would never release unless you fell, they lied. Lost them a few times one DRESSAGE lesson, took them off after that! It is true I was twisting my leg as we grappled with some lateral work, but I was very much sat in the saddle, if they can't cope with a bit of toe out, they would be releasing left, right and centre on XC. I was very disappointed as they weren't cheap.

I think many saddles nowadays come with a smile shaped stirrup bar instead of a flat one. They won't release.

I too have Sprengers. I did come off the back and they did release, but I would worry now.

I also saw someone stuck in one where the whole side unplugged. Can't remember the make, they were black and red treads, on an angle. The side was like black rubber. But, if your foot gets wedged top to bottom (so tread to where the leather is attached) it still holds you even if the side isn't there.

Skib

sites.google.com
This pic isnt really good enough to judge what he was using.
I have used Sprengers for years, having previously had a foot catch. I have never had a foot caught in a Sprenger,even when falling from forward seat. I have sat down with a boot and a Sprenger stirrup and tried to get it caught. But couldnt.

However the width of the boot and the width of the Sprenger must give the correct clearance, about 1 cm, so I have different sizes of Sprenger for different boots. The winter ones are wider.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Sadly I think there are ways a foot could get stuck in every option, or that they will break when you don't want them to. I have sprenger system 4s and wouldn't stop using them (they're in a cupboard though currently)

Velcrobum

Visit site
For the people who like icky pics his wife posted a picture of him about to go into the ambulance and a picture of the wound on his page also progress reports.

{97702}

Visit site
Quite frankly Harry is an exceptionally experienced 5* eventer - I’d warrant he knows what he is doing with his stirrups more than any casual observer on an Internet forum? And since it is his livelihood it makes it even more unlikely he would take any ‘risks’. Accidents happen, you learn from them and you ensure that they don’t happen again - I’m sure that will happen in this case, I’m also absolutely sure that Harry didn’t do anything to put himself at risk particularly given the horrific accident he had not so long ago.

Wishing him all the best for a full and quick recovery, the same happened to me when I was about 7 years old and it put me off riding for about 15 years - I think Harry is made of tougher stuff than that ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I also saw someone stuck in one where the whole side unplugged. Can't remember the make, they were black and red treads, on an angle. The side was like black rubber. But, if your foot gets wedged top to bottom (so tread to where the leather is attached) it still holds you even if the side isn't there.

Possibly mountain horse? They had some system where the soles of the boots connected into those red and black treads, I think that was banned by BE.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Possibly mountain horse? They had some system where the soles of the boots connected into those red and black treads, I think that was banned by BE.

I think it may have been. WE didn't have any special boots though, just used them as normal irons. Weird seeing a foot still trapped (mounting incident) when there was no side to the iron! Happily there were people on the yard and the horse was sensible.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I do hope he makes a quick recovery. I met him when he was about 17 outside BHS headquarters: He rushed up to me in front of Richard and asked if he could shake my hand. (Because of my previous job with Countryside Alliance.) I laughed and said he could hug me and give me a kiss: he was too embarrassed to deliver the kiss (damn!) Before I could thank him he rushed back to Richard, slightly pink, lol!