Has anyone else seen this? How horrific!

EquestrianFairy

Visit site

What a thing to have to witness! It's being plastered over Facebook along with naming and shaming.
Apparently the guy who did this then charged the owner of the horse he just killed £800 for the remaining livery fee's!

I don't think I would be responsible for my actions had he done this to my horse, whether it was being sold or not!

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Oh my goodness! That's awful! What an horrific thing to witness! Poor, poor horse and poor owner! I'd tell him exactly what he could do with his £800! And it wouldn't be the last he would hear about it either! :(

Snap! I think they are also reporting him (good job too!)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Um........ sorry, let me clarify summinck: "the poor owner of the horse (a client at his yard)......... watched the whole thing".

WTF????? Sorry, but if this had been my horse and it had got anywhere near anyone doing anything like this to him I'd have either altered someone's dentistry and/OR stopped the whole flippin thing:( I have to add that my boy has been a right b@ggar to load in the past, and yes I appreciate how annoying it is when the blighters just won't load, but this is way OTT.

But maybe there's something I'm missing here?? Am I the only one who's wondering why FFS did the owner (or the new "owner" for that matter) just stand by throughout without intervening?

Last edited:

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
But maybe there's something I'm missing here?? Am I the only one who's wondering why FFS did the owner (or the new "owner" for that matter) just stand by throughout without intervening?

I have to say this my first thought too. I wouldn't let anyone treat my boy that way, why did they all just stand by & watch?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I have to say this my first thought too. I wouldn't let anyone treat my boy that way, why did they all just stand by & watch?

I thought the same too. As soon as the dog started nipping at his heels I'd have been in there whether I was the owner, potential purchaser or just a bystander. Really don't understand why they just stood by and watched.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
If you do a little digging, and its not that hard to find, you will find the horse is known for being a bad loader (owner has a photo and the comments read 'Sedated, he still took 10 minutes to load!') knowing your horse is that bad to load why would you let them try and load him unsedated for starters.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
If the horse was known as a bad loader, then this was the very worst way to attempt it.

I know what its like to have something that won't load....... my boy once took three hours of trying to get into a trailer, then decided at the 11th hour that he would just walk in (blimmin typical), and during the time of trying to load did everything from trying to climb up a hedge (and taking me with him), jumping off the ramp (and onto me) etc etc. So I really feel for the owner and also the YO in having to somehow get it to load in what was probably a very short time-span and a lot of busyness etc happening elsewhere in the yard - and appreciating that they didn't perhaps have the time to do what they perceived as the "touchy-feely" stuff, but this wasn't the way to do it.

Me and mine had some professional help (vital in situations like this IMO), which involved a lot of time, effort, and patience, plus some. But it was all worthwhile coz we did a horse agility competition a while ago and our top marks were ten-our-of-ten for the trailer walk through!!! Not that Himself could still decide to be an awkward beggar when he so chooses, coz I know he can. But the point I am making is that if you KNOW that you've already got a bad loader then you don't stand by and allow someone to use their dog(s) as a goad to get them loaded, do you???

If sedation is needed, and is effective in a situation like this just to get the horse loaded up and away from the yard, then I would have used it on this occasion - and then the new owner could have worked on the issues involved at a later date. But unfortunately for the poor horse, all too late unfortunately.

STRIKER

Visit site
Disgusting how terribly sad poor horse, do,report this dealer to someone that is unacceptable handling of a horse any animal.

Houndman

Visit site
There's probably more to this than that. The buyer is probably lucky they didn't end up paying money for a horse which was very difficult to load and hence probably useless. With the owner there at the time, the people at the yard obviously knew that loading was a problem which is why they were keen to get it away and get paid, and why the owner let the other person try to load it.

Last edited:

Ibblebibble

Visit site
perhaps the horse was at the yard for work on it's loading issues, perhaps the buyer was aware and perhaps the trainer was so determined to prove himself able to load any horse he went too far too quick before any one had chance to react. who knows the real truth, only unarguable fact is that a horse lost it's life which is awful

Delhi Belly

Visit site
I've read the FB page and comments. However - the horse was known for being a bad loader. How many of us have dealt with bad loaders who have reared up at some point? Probably some of us. This horse could have reared and reared and never gone over. But it did, and as a result suffered a fatal injury. Now if it were my horse, I would have not allowed what took place to happen in the first place - but it did - and I doubt there was any intention to injure the horse. Without hearing other sides of the story, could it just be a tragic horrific accident?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Why would anyone buying such a horse not arrange a vet to come and sedate it and bring people they knew and trusted with them to help
It's beyond belief .
Poor horse

Merrymoles

Visit site
Friends horse was slow to load one day but she knew he'd go in eventually. However, her then YO knew better and decide to whack horse on the arse. Horse lashed out and broke his arm - only time he's kicked a person. Rushing things is always a recipe for disaster

Luce85

Visit site
Disgusting practice! I can't believe people just stood by and didn't intervene, I would have stopped him the dog started nipping him! Poor horse!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Disgusting practice! I can't believe people just stood by and didn't intervene, I would have stopped him the dog started nipping him! Poor horse!

It all happed too quickly for them to have done anything.

The man is a disgrace to humanity. May he rot in hell.

Moomin1

Visit site

How do you know? I am sure that someone could have done something during the whole time it took for the guy to a) set his dog on the horse's heels, and b) tie a piece of twine around it's neck and muzzle......

Iownayetti

Visit site
'He' advertises himself as a " Natural Horsemanship Trainer" ....

I think the people who witnessed this most probably thought he knew what he was doing as a so called expert he makes himself out to be.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Really don't get why they didn't do anything. The owner and the new owner just stood about watching this. As soon as he brought the damn dog out, I would have told him where to go! The people can't moan about it afterwards while they allowed it to happen right in front of them. Just shows what happens if you push a horse too far, poor thing.

Am surprised some people find it ok to travel a sedated horse too, to me that's pretty crazy.

Last edited:

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I have a feeling (like Amymay said) that it probably happened so quickly that not much could have been said Inbetween.

I know I've been in situations where you go to open your mouth and it's over before you have chance to breathe. The guy who did it often advertises on FB but I, for one, will never ever send anything to him nor would I recommend him after reading it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

So you know personally that he keeps the dog and baler band handy in case of bad loaders?

If I had been buying this horse, I would have intervened immediately to say that I would want to load the horse some time in the future and didn't want it made worse than it already was. I've seen some very dodgy practices masquerading as Natural Horsemanship but that has to be one of the worst!

Highlands

Visit site
Chap advertised as local, pity as on his facebook advert looked sensible. The kind of thing I look for when having a horse broken but I used someone who would never do this and I trust so not for all the tea in china would I swap.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
not sure if it makes any difference but horse was being advertised as free to a good home on a local FB group, friend of mine tagged me in it, didn't realise it was the same horse until just now. it was only 7 yrs old and was a late starter and advert stated it had been sent to the trainer to be restarted.