Has anyone stopped riding?

stormox

Visit site
We have to be very careful in my yard since people are complaining to the police about us riding at check point and they said no riding after I show them my latter (I live in Ireland) Most yards in my area have been shut down by the police. My yard is saying we aren’t aloud to jump or hack it’s flatwork only . Yes I am riding my horse is very safe and I am only doing the basics.
I live in Ireland and the RC chairman Tony Ennis has issued a statement saying we can ride. I would only ride on my own land and the permitted 2km up the road though.
I cannot travel my horse to ride. All the riding schools and arenas are closed for hiring. However liveries at a few of them are continuing to ride in the arenas.

JoannaC

Visit site
I've stopped for the moment and they have all had their shoes off. I will start riding the youngest soon as she will be enormous otherwise as the grass starts to come through. Will only take her in the school and walk and trot just to be on the safe side. My other mare lost enough weight over winter and she is a deranged lunatic although I have never come off her but sods law would say now is the time I would! The old boy is 25 so he can retire now.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I put an article on another post about the fact A&E are seeing a surge in DIY eye related injuries!

I have been wondering if the UK’s high death rate is somehow related to our general health as a nation. Some Scandinavian countries have not imposed any sort of lockdown and have seen far fewer cases and deaths (admittedly smaller populations).

We are a nation of fast food eaters and binge drinkers! Can’t be helping

Overweight, even below obesity, is looking like a very big issue with this virus, and we are the fattest nation in Europe.

RHM

Visit site
Overweight, even below obesity, is looking like a very big issue with this virus, and we are the fattest nation in Europe.

This is unfortunately the case, being overweight you are much more likely to suffer severe complications and bizarrely be contagious for longer.

I don’t know about anyone else but I do feel like I have really took for granted my health, definitely need to start looking after myself better. Maybe after I finish all the booze in the house!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
This is unfortunately the case, being overweight you are much more likely to suffer severe complications and bizarrely be contagious for longer.

I don’t know about anyone else but I do feel like I have really took for granted my health, definitely need to start looking after myself better. Maybe after I finish all the booze in the house!

That’s interesting Re: weight I’ve not read anything about that can you link to some research? Thanks.

J&S

Visit site
On the news this morning there was some one talking about the prevalence of Covid19 in people of ethnic minorities because of their being prone to diabetes. This is something related to weight, is it not? I realise this statement is hardly scientific but might give you something to go on.

RHM

Visit site
That’s interesting Re: weight I’ve not read anything about that can you link to some research? Thanks.

There is quite a bit coming out at the moment, first read about it in the guardian. This is one that I’ve seen - https://scholar.google.co.uk/schola...vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=-eD0CyubwG4J

I suspect it is due to a number of issues, potentially the increased stress on bodily functions or due to the increased amount of inflammation knocking about normally.
There is definitely something genetic going on that we aren’t completely aware of yet, a month or so ago the Chinese were hypothesising that it could be due to blood type.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
There is quite a bit coming out at the moment, first read about it in the guardian. This is one that I’ve seen - https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=covid+severity+and+obesity&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=-eD0CyubwG4J

I suspect it is due to a number of issues, potentially the increased stress on bodily functions or due to the increased amount of inflammation knocking about normally.
There is definitely something genetic going on that we aren’t completely aware of yet, a month or so ago the Chinese were hypothesising that it could be due to blood type.

Thank you I’ve piled on the pounds over the last couple of years due to I think mainly peri menopause so interested in this. I don’t have any known underlying health issues and BP, cholesterol etc. Are perfect thankfully. Recently changed GP surgery so had health check done. No idea on blood type though never had it tested.

maya2008

Visit site
A thought on the riding/not riding debate... those who are jumping on others who have risk assessed and gone ahead - there are people whose mental health depends on their horses: key workers, parents, business owners and more. Without the stress relief provided by their horses, they could become seriously ill in these scary, pressured times, ending up needing significant help from the NHS itself. Those people need to ride just as much as my children do, to keep themselves and their families safe. Some illnesses are invisible, some therapies self-funded. Let people make their own decisions.

RHM

Visit site
Thank you I’ve piled on the pounds over the last couple of years due to I think mainly peri menopause so interested in this. I don’t have any known underlying health issues and BP, cholesterol etc. Are perfect thankfully. Recently changed GP surgery so had health check done. No idea on blood type though never had it tested.

No worries, sound like you are pretty healthy then! I would hazard to suggest (and I may be wrong as I am not a clinician) that it will be more the obese category in particular that will suffer more as I know from my work that there is a huge step up in inflammatory cytokines between overweight and obese. This does seem to be the one occasion where women haven’t drawn the short straw on disease front though!
Italy will he releasing more data over the next couple of weeks so we should hopefully know more then!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m hacking quietly my old horse. He needs to loose weight and is coming back from injury so I was keen not to stop having started and done the initial lairy weeks.
TB isn’t rideable at the moment sadly but I don’t think I’d be riding him anyway as I feel he’s more risky and tbh apart from pressure on the NHS hospital is the last place I’d want to be now!

OdinsMum

Visit site
I do flat work 3 times per week on my Fell pony, half an hour at a time. I don’t hack I just go in the school. The yard I'm on initially said no riding allowed, but I have been given an additional hours slot to ride after they reviewed the situation. My boy is prone to lami so anything to keep that risk down I’ll take it. On the days I don’t ride I’m only allowed down 1 hour of a morning and 1 hour of an evening, it has been very difficult to do my two with that little time but I manage and I’m grateful I get to spend time with them everyday.

Abi90

Visit site
I am riding again. Only light schooling. Horse has arthritis and can’t be off work really... I was paying the yard owner to ride her but can’t afford that indefinitely. I’m limiting how much I ride, yard is always quiet as only 4 liveries so I very rarely see anyone!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Just another note on the impact of the BHS messaging about 'reducing all burden on emergency services'. The BHS is one of a number of bodies that have taken this line (even though the Government hasn't at any time) and it has permeated into public consciousness. There is a jokey FB post going round saying: "who else keeps screaming 'DON'T DO THAT WE CAN'T USE A&E RIGHT NOW' at their kids." The Slogan 'Protect the NHS' is being misunderstood: It is Stay At Home (to reduce transmission) Protect the NHS (by reducing transmission) Save Lives (so the NHS is not overwhelmed and can cope with the Covid cases). It is not - protect the NHS from everything.

Hospitals are now expressing concerns that people are not accessing them even when they should. There has been a big jump in non Covid deaths - many due to delays in seeking care. There is a dramatic fall in referrals for suspected cancer. Some of those non-referrals will be people who do have cancer and will now face lengthier treatment and lower survival rates. Hospitals are now stressing thay they are open and available to non Covid issues and always will be.

It's fine to choose not to ride. But people making different choices are being shamed over their 'selfishness' because of an epidemic of virtue signalling and this has contributed to a culture in which seeking any help for any reason is frowned on. And so people will die. Laws of unintended consequences.....

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Agree AE
I was reading a heartbreaking article interviewing paramedics about the increasing number of people they were going out to , who had left it too late to call for help and had already died by the time they got there. People who didn't want to attend A&E because they were trying not to put pressure on the NHS etc. It's business as usual in many respects and people must continue to seek help urgently if they are unwell.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's fine to choose not to ride. But people making different choices are being shamed over their 'selfishness' because of an epidemic of virtue signalling and this has contributed to a culture in which seeking any help for any reason is frowned on. And so people will die. Laws of unintended consequences.....
This phrase ‘virtue signalling’ gets really gets my goat, and you are mixing up two categories of people here. I chose not to ride currently because I do not want to risk an unnecessary accident and an unnecessary visit to A&E. That is advice from the horses mouth, ie one of those front line medics who are up at the sharp end. Any trip to hospital brings up a whole extra layer of risk of transmission of Covid19 into and out of it. There is no such thing as a guaranteed Covid19 free area of the hospital, though patients are categorised into 3 groups - cold, hot and hot hot. The staff themselves do not know if they are currently carrying the virus and are contagious, as they are not being tested.

There really are a significant number of people who are delaying seeking medical advice when they ought to be getting it sooner, and that is of very real concern and will have long term consequences. These are the people who need assurance that it is ok to seek help.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The virtue signalling contributes to a culture. I know many people who logically assess riding as fine on their totally safe ponies but don't feel able to ride. Those same people feel anxious about 'wasting NHS time' in other ways.

And by virtue signalling I don't mean individuals who have made a decision not to ride. Of course that's fine. Ive stopped jumping to reduce risk. I've not needed medical attention during flatwork or hacking in 40 years + of riding. I have been hospitalised by dealing with horses on the ground though so I am comfortable that my riding is within acceptable risk parameters and its keeping me sane which is important too as someone who has been signed off work for long periodswith significant mental health problems in the past.

However I am bothered by those who judge others for different decisions, who have decided they are the arbiter of what is and is not 'necessary '. And in doing so they contribute to culture of anxiety about help seeking which I am sure they don't intend but is happening anyway.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’m glad I’ve kept my two going. They’re calm and well behaved and continue to be so as they’re not fresh. I’m keeping my old boy moving and both are prone to weight gain so it’s a factor in keeping they’re weight down. There’s way less people about on our hacks so even nicer than usual. I feel really lucky that I’ve got mine on DIY and am able to see them everyday. There are two NHS workers on my yard and both are still riding.

ihatework

Visit site
Just another note on the impact of the BHS messaging about 'reducing all burden on emergency services'. The BHS is one of a number of bodies that have taken this line (even though the Government hasn't at any time) and it has permeated into public consciousness. There is a jokey FB post going round saying: "who else keeps screaming 'DON'T DO THAT WE CAN'T USE A&E RIGHT NOW' at their kids." The Slogan 'Protect the NHS' is being misunderstood: It is Stay At Home (to reduce transmission) Protect the NHS (by reducing transmission) Save Lives (so the NHS is not overwhelmed and can cope with the Covid cases). It is not - protect the NHS from everything.

Hospitals are now expressing concerns that people are not accessing them even when they should. There has been a big jump in non Covid deaths - many due to delays in seeking care. There is a dramatic fall in referrals for suspected cancer. Some of those non-referrals will be people who do have cancer and will now face lengthier treatment and lower survival rates. Hospitals are now stressing thay they are open and available to non Covid issues and always will be.

Couldn’t agree more.

I’m not riding at the moment due to a variety of factors. BUT I happily would, and probably will, before this lockdown is over.

I just cannot stand this holier than thou attitude a minority of posters are displaying. It’s not constructive.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Everyone must make a personal decision that is right for them based on their own personal circumstances. Of course we shouldn’t shame others, but everyone is entitled to express their opinion and this is positive because it helps us to see things from the perspective of others. I do think on this forum that is often interpreted as shaming or judging when it isn’t. I do disagree with negative and rude comments being directed at individuals though. Absolutely fine to disagree with someone, but no need to be insulting.

I think many are trying desperately to avoid going to hospitals out of fear of catching Coronavirus, rather than not wanting to burden the NHS. The risk of catching it from patients is fairly high, but when you combine that with the risk of catching it from hospital staff who aren’t being tested, it’s pretty scary. I’m shielding so couldn’t ride, but this is the main reason my daughters aren’t riding. We are a family of 5 and I am in the ‘extremely vulnerable’ category so we’ve come to the decision it’s not worth the risk. Not only of catching the virus, but if anything was to happen they would be in hospital alone.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm pleased the discussion has moved on from just branding people who have chosen to continue riding as "selfish" etc.

It's hard to say why people are dying of heart attacks etc at home, tbh I think if I thought I was having a heart attack I'd take my chances with coronavirus in A&E because the alternative option of staying home is pretty bad and leading to terrible outcomes. but people aren't making that call for some reason - that's why it seems to be something other than fear of the virus, you're already in a terrible situation then - not wanting to be a burden has been cited in other cases where people have died alone at home during this pandemic.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I am replying to this thread only about riding choices.

I have posted on other threads that my horse can be spooky when hacking. She is kept at home and I have no one to ride out with and no school so I am not riding.

In over 50 years of riding I have been to A and E and I have no wish to go there again. My decision was based on fear of adding to the NHS workload as well as fear of the virus.

I am trying to do a little in hand work. Neither my horse or I have ever done this before. My ‘ school’ is a flat area about 20 paces square so not ideal.

My friends have all made their own choices which range from one who hacks out alone occasionally, another who hacks regularly alone, a couple who always ride together and 2 friends who cannot visit their horses at full livery at all because of lockdown.

We all understand each other’s predicament and as we are oldies keep in touch by phone.

Upthecreek

Visit site
I think it’s something the government needs to address because there will be a huge number of non-covid deaths because people are terrified of seeking medical attention. My parents are over 70 and my dad has had two strokes. He said the other day he wasn’t feeling too good and I really had to bully him to contact his consultant for advice. Even then he was adamant that if the advice was to go to hospital he wouldn’t be going.

So whilst I think we should all make sensible choices and make every effort to avoid ending up in A&E if we possibly can, the message needs to be that you shouldn’t be risking your life by not seeking medical attention if you really need it, regardless of risk of catching the virus or being a burden on the NHS.