hats off to ellen

[ QUOTE ]
If someone brought her a 1million euro horse and gave her the training and upbringing ellen had had i can garentee you she'd be at the top right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you?
People should stop belittling what it takes to get to the top?
How do you know that anyone can jump a 7' plus wall or a WCQ if they haven't tried. Or probably got anywhere near trying. Correct me if you have.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not yet but one day

[/ QUOTE ]

K&R - Self-belief, ambition, guts and drive are all very important attributes that you will need if and when your time comes. Humility is a pretty useful trait to have too
wink.gif

Just remember, these people could be your customers one day in the future.....
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it is an awful feeling when adrenalin and hopes and expectations suddenly turn into dissapointment. One that is not often emulated at home.....If the horse is being moody at home you don't feel the dissapoinment you do if they throw a big chance down the drain at a big show.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh come off it hun, so you are really trying to justify the way ellen treated her horse......there is no excuse for that sort of behaviour, its pure cruetly. whether she is at home or at a big competition she shouldnt be repremanding the horse like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, i am not justifying it. I said I can not judge because I understand what leads people to loose it occasionaly. As I said in my post, if she makes a habit of it then that is very wrong.

Maybe I am cynical but any competitive person who says that they have never lost it with any horse, in my opinion either has a selective memory or is lying!

Tempi

Visit site
if id be born on a horse like she basically was and had horses and training from the best all my life i can garentee you id be at the top, and so would most other people in that situation.

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it is an awful feeling when adrenalin and hopes and expectations suddenly turn into dissapointment. One that is not often emulated at home.....If the horse is being moody at home you don't feel the dissapoinment you do if they throw a big chance down the drain at a big show.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh come off it hun, so you are really trying to justify the way ellen treated her horse......there is no excuse for that sort of behaviour, its pure cruetly. whether she is at home or at a big competition she shouldnt be repremanding the horse like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had it been someone else, someone less in the public eye, and male, this wouldnt have rumbled on.
We would have said, OMG did you see that pillock ride his horse wrongly, idiot! and then it would have been cleanly forgotten.

However, because its Ellen, a young attractive woman who is riding at the top of her sport with a string of difficult or talented or both horses - she loses it and we all come down on her.........
Jeez what do we do, go around with our eyes shut, this happens all round the world, things far worse! if you treat a horse badly before long it wont jump for you anymore!

Did the thread about Sue Carson rumble on quite so much?? she too was reported for mistreating her horse at Addington by members of the public.

Weezy

Visit site
can honestly say I have NEVER lost it with a horse at a competition EVER - as if things go wrong 99% of the time its MY fault, and if the horse lets me down, well hey, usually its the other way round so I can forgve the odd mistake!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
can honestly say I have NEVER lost it with a horse at a competition EVER - as if things go wrong 99% of the time its MY fault, and if the horse lets me down, well hey, usually its the other way round so I can forgve the odd mistake!

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! Being totally honest I lost my rag with my pony when I 10, I then learnt that he had come 2nd anyway, I learnt my lesson there and then.

[ QUOTE ]
if id be born on a horse like she basically was and had horses and training from the best all my life i can garentee you id be at the top, and so would most other people in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you can not, you can say you'd have a better chance than you do now.
Remember these people still buy youngsters so yes they buy more potential than you can but money can't turn potential into talent.....they still have to do that themselves like everyone else.

Tempi

Visit site
agree, i can honestly say ive never lost it with either of mine either. 9 times out of 10 its the riders fault and not the horses, and its not the end of the world if you dont win/get placed.

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing more disgusting than Robert Whitaker....ewwwwww GROSSSSSS

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't let RosiePosie see that - think she's his number one fan!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bless her shes welcome to him.....

Tempi

Visit site
i think we're going to have to agree to disagree hun - i believe money does get you everywhere, and so does being born into the situation and getting training 24/7 - thats my opinion im afraid
smile.gif

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There is nothing more disgusting than Robert Whitaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

What BB's? you don't like the ruddy faced knome look? But is sooooo Xmas Daaarling.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I dont.....when the good looking faces where being handed out he wasnt even in the que!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Trust me, I have taught people that no amount of money or training will ever get anywhere near that level of competing.
Yes, we can believe we would make it given the opportunities but can not say for certain until we have and do.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly forgive mistakes (and agree that they are mainly the riders fault). I was talking about the horse going into the arena having decided that it will be naughty that day.

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i think we're going to have to agree to disagree hun - i believe money does get you everywhere, and so does being born into the situation and getting training 24/7 - thats my opinion im afraid
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know someone who has trained with the best trainers that the sport provides, she was born with a silver spoon and had everything done for her. She works very hard, she rides her two very expensive horses daily, however, she is not at the level she wants to be, because 1 she doesnt listen and 2 she isnt talented!

Money, horse power and training DOES NOT automatically mean you are going to be the best!

Emma123

Visit site
Jeez i can guarntee that if i had all the money and training in the world i would never ever get to the stage Ellen is at!

I wouldn't say i was a particularly bad rider but i definitly wouldn't be able to jump the tracks she does-nor do i have the desire to do so
smirk.gif

I don't justify her behaviour at all but to compete at that level she must have some talent, and if she was so bad her horses won't jump anymore.

If some of you seriously believe you have the talent to get to the top good on you, but i don't think you can justify that you would be at the top if you were in the same situation as Ellen because you won't know until you've got there and have consistantly good results
crazy.gif

Patches

Visit site
BBs! I nearly choked on my coffee then! LMAO!!!!!!!

Must admit, I'm right with you on that one. Tell you what, I'm married so I'll let you have Robert Maguire.....Christmas spirit and all that!
grin.gif

Have to admit, I was saying to a friend of mine last night that I don't have the ambition and drive to be competitive, much less the ability either. However, I would hate to be a top class professional rider.....do you think the emotional attachment and enjoyment is lost to some degree when you view your horses as a tool of your trade?

Chex

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree, providing they want it. Yes they need guts, but a lot of people have guts. How many people are bought a horse for nearing a million pounds!? I highly doubt she earned that money herself! I think with money, excellent training, talented horses and the WILL to do it - anyone can.

BBs

Visit site
Oops sorry lol

Yes quite agree with your last statement! I wonder what its like....to me my horses are my friends, part of my family.

I guess if your life depended on it i.e its your job your living horses to me would be looked at very differently.

not_with_it

Visit site
A top dressage rider once said 'I dont believe I'm talented, I just work really hard to get where I am' She had the money to buy top horses and have top trainers and that is why she got where she is.

I do belive that if you have money it is easier to get to the top. Other riders havent had the opportunities that Ellen has had. The real question is would she be where she is if she didnt have money and access to top trainers?

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

No you can not, you can say you'd have a better chance than you do now.
Remember these people still buy youngsters so yes they buy more potential than you can but money can't turn potential into talent.....they still have to do that themselves like everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er...Tim G doesn't, as already mentioned he has someone do it for him. I'm with P.G on this one!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A top dressage rider once said 'I dont believe I'm talented, I just work really hard to get where I am' She had the money to buy top horses and have top trainers and that is why she got where she is.

I do belive that if you have money it is easier to get to the top. Other riders havent had the opportunities that Ellen has had. The real question is would she be where she is if she didnt have money and access to top trainers?

[/ QUOTE ]

No she probably wouldn't, maybe in 15years time she would!

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to WANT to do it, equally theres not good working your socks off if you work hard doing everything incorrectly!

My point being, the girl i know, has the money, the horses, the trainers, but because she doesnt listen and thinks shes right she hasnt got any further than the lower levels even tho she works jolly hard to achieve her dream.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

You have to WANT to do it, equally theres not good working your socks off if you work hard doing everything incorrectly!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but with the training Ellen has received she's hardly going to be doing it the 'wrong way' is she?