Having a horse put down - Injection or Gun ?

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have had 2 ponies shot. It was very, very quick, they just dropped on the spot with their heads in a bucket of feed.
It wasn't as noisy or as messy as I feared.

However, I'm not sure which I would choose for my horse, even now.

Price wise (which was a consideration I must be honest), cheaper for a knacker/fallen stock person than the vet.
Ask around, you need a nice, sympathetic but above all, efficient person.

hock

Visit site
My lovely ginger horse in my avatar was put down via injection at Newmarket and it was so beautifully done in a clinical setting.
But I’ve also seen a horse wipe out a wooden stable with the injection done by a very experienced vet.
If I was planning it, it would be via gun relaxed at home in a paddock with good access for disposal.
I think most vets would choose gun if you gave them the choice.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
All mine have been with the gun, but we have an amazing knacker-lady who is quick and efficient.

Indeed we do! Her father dealt with our first horse after a field accident. We have had the huntsman come a couple of times as well.

ETA, we have had them all done in the earth yard, since we moved here, no bags under the head and have been able to quickly clean up well enough to let Labradors into the yard, without them getting stuck to the spot, or even taking much notice at all.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
if cost is a consideration, if you are near a vet school it's worth enquiring if they need horses for their teaching. Bristol vet school picked up my horse earlier this year and i just had to pay my vet costs. their collection guy was excellent and i was "pleased" as much as you can be in a situation like that, that his death would benefit the next generation of vets.

huskydamage

Visit site
Sorry you are going through this.
I've heard all sorts of horror stories about injections, but I have been sedated myself and I had no clue what I was doing or what was going on.
On the other hand I had to clean up the aftermath of someone having 5 horses shot in my horses field and it was horrendous. Unless it's an emergency if I am able to plan it with my vet there is no way I could shoot my horse after that.

lynz88

Visit site
Another for sedation and injection. Had a horse break it's leg in a freak accident - got him down with a number of helpers and had the vet out immediately to finish the job. Injection was very peaceful and would do it again if I had a choice.

Reactions: TPO

Getbackboys

Visit site
have used both in different circumstances and whilst the outcome was the same your horse was dead, both were professionally, peacefully and kindly done. i do agree about not using a newly qualified vet to do it because even they wud be nervous and could take longer to find the vein etc making it seem like it wasnt going to plan, thoughts are with you.

can i ask you say the end of summer is this due to age, health or financial because with my x 2 which are 24 yrs old and x 1 who is 36 years old, i have also asked myself the same question under current cost of living etc, it is a hard one, we love them so much and its in our nature to nurture. my 36 yo costs me a fortune in mash over winter to keep him healthy.

Huskydamage, wow thats another story on another thread, how sad for you and the horses and i dont know the story but the owner to have to say goodbye to 5 in one go.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive sadly had to PTS 3 horses over the years, always opted for injection as I would never consider shooting. I personally find the thought of shooting a very violent end. Never had any issues injecting, its never pleasant, it cant be ultimately but didnt have any issues. I chose to always be there to the end as I felt I owed it to my horses to have my comfort there. Only bit I cant stick around for is the burying part, Ive always had them buried on my own land but my OH deals with the digger person who does it.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have to put my horse to sleep at the end of Summer, and i was wondering peoples thoughts on Injection or Shooting. People keep telling me not to have the injection, but i cant face having my horse shot. I just dont know what to do.
Injection every time.

seen too many with gun, some messy. I can stand and hold my horse while he goes to sleep when she dropped I dropped still cuddling her. - I cannot stand while he is shot.

One thing I wont do is watch them dragged in the trailer to be cremated.

One livery here changed her mind to the gun without telling me, so was miffed as we had 3 horses on box rest, we had to get permissions to move them away.
She then used a gun, and had the audacity to leave the blood in the school, so I said you need to clear it up as we have kids here.

Sickening they used a well know company to remove the body, which is in an open top truck. which must have been horrific for those on busses, trucks and coaches to see.

Last edited:

Lois Lame

Visit site
I'm struggling to understand that one?

Yeah, good point. I'm a plant person. I think about soil and all the things living in it and the natural process of decay of wild animals in the bush. I didn't really think it all through, did I?
:oops:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yeah, good point. I'm a plant person. I think about soil and all the things living in it and the natural process of decay of wild animals in the bush. I didn't really think it all through, did I?
:oops:

Horse are all incinerated unless you organise to bury them yourself on private land.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s a sad thing to think about but it’s a good discussion to have .
My experience is that in most cases it’s not an emergency you have a run up to it so it’s in your head the worse time is before ,when you decide , and then run up to the day .
After you are sad but Over time you accept it .

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I an sorry you are going to be in this position.

My vets use injection. It has been peaceful and I have been able to be with the ponies, which I wouldn't have felt able to if it was a gun.

I know each method has its advocates and its detractors, but I will choose injection again when the time comes.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ive sadly had to PTS 3 horses over the years, always opted for injection as I would never consider shooting. I personally find the thought of shooting a very violent end.

Obviously the choice is yours and you should do whatever you feel happiest about but there really is nothing violent about using a skilled person to shoot a horse. The operative stands as close to the animal as possible and holds a handgun to the forehead, it isn't even like watching zoo-keepers dart a zoo animal, which has to be done from a distance. Yes there is a bang but nothing more than any of the noises we hear around here frequently. And the horse is dead before it lands on the ground.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
It may be a slightly naive question, but have you asked your vet what they do? I don't think ours use a gun any more on horses.

When I told my vet of my decision to shoot, he offered to do it for me so some do. He is older and experienced though and has some yards that prefer it.. I would be wary of a vet who didn't do it very often.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I an sorry you are going to be in this position.

My vets use injection. It has been peaceful and I have been able to be with the ponies, which I wouldn't have felt able to if it was a gun.

I know each method has its advocates and its detractors, but I will choose injection again when the time comes.

Of course you can there with the gun I have always been there

Goldenstar

Visit site
Sorry, I meant that I personally wouldn't want to be there with a gun.

Sorry I misunderstood.
I always close my eyes stand behind whoever is doing the deed and talk to the horse when I hear the shot I turn walk to house .
I watched it once I thought I should when I was a welfare officer so it was not me horse .
I have only looked at one dead my beautiful Star she was a lovely in death as she in life she had perfect symmetry.I had to see her one last time .

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Not sure talking about feeding horses to hounds and wild animals is a good thing for OP to be reading at this difficult time...

Of course it is something to think about.
The worst part about having a horse pts is the fact that it will no longer be in your daily life, the 2nd worst part is the organisation of the deed and disposal, one way or another,, is part of that. The vet or the whoever you ask to pts will ask what you want to do with the body, so you need to have some idea of what the options are.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Op, sorry your having to think about this.
I’ve seen lots of each and there’s little in it for the horse. Which ever method will be quick and is ok, make it easiest for you. Your horse won’t know but you will remember it. If you don’t want him/her (sorry) shot that’s fine. It’ll probably help you be more relaxed on the day and in turn that will help your horse.
I also really don’t believe the whole owners HAVE to be there, holding torturing themselves. If it’s not for you don’t do it and don’t feel bad, they have no idea what’s happening.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Obviously the choice is yours and you should do whatever you feel happiest about but there really is nothing violent about using a skilled person to shoot a horse. The operative stands as close to the animal as possible and holds a handgun to the forehead, it isn't even like watching zoo-keepers dart a zoo animal, which has to be done from a distance. Yes there is a bang but nothing more than any of the noises we hear around here frequently. And the horse is dead before it lands on the ground.

Yes, that was my experience, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared the first time and I had no hesitation in using the same guy for the second one. It was more of a "pop" than a bang and I don't recall much blood. He says keep everyone calm and he just stands by them as they eat out of a bucket with their head down. He doesn't like the owner near, say goodbye and walk away.