Having a horse put down - Injection or Gun ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Whichever method you choose the most important thing is for you to be with your horse. He/she has worked for you for years, knows you & relates to you and is part of the family. I believe it to be heartless when you have your animal put to sleep & the horse does not have the calming influence & affection of his rider at that time. I have heard from various vets & they are of a similar belief.

That's an absolutely outrageous thing to write.

Nobody should be guilt tripped into watching their horse die.

Some people are so upset at losing the horse that it's a far as they can go to organise it to be done. For them to be there at the time and very upset themselves can only upset the horse just when it most needs to be calm. Some people would never stop reliving the last image of their horse being its death.

As long as the horse is handled competently and compassionately it's not for any other person to say who should be where when a horse dies.

I am furious on behalf of every person who has not felt able to be there at the death of a much loved horse that you could even think to write this judgmental rubbish ?

Auslander

Visit site
That's an absolutely outrageous thing to write.

Nobody should be guilt tripped into watching their horse die.

Some people are so upset at losing the horse that it's a far as they can go to organise it to be done. For them to be there at the time and very upset themselves can only upset the horse just when it most needs to be calm. Some people would never stop reliving the last image of their horse being its death.

As long as the horse is handled competently and compassionately it's not for any other person to say who should be where when a horse dies.

I am furious on behalf of every person who has not felt able to be there at the death of a much loved horse that you could even think to write this judgmental rubbish ?

Couldn't agree more

I consider it part of my job as a YO to deal with PTS situations, and I would never expect an owner to stand around and watch, unless they wanted to. I have lost count of how many times owners have said that they want to be there, then realised at the last minute that they can't bear it, so I always make sure I'm there to step in.

There is no benefit to the owner in watching their horse go down, and no benefit to the horse having a distraught owner holding them.

Every person is different, and there's no right or wrong way to say goodbye to your horse. The way that works best for you is the best way. If that means holding the horse yourself until the vet takes over to get the horse on the floor safely - fine. If it means giving the horse a polo and a cuddle, handing it over to me and the vet, then getting in your car and driving away - absolutely fine

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I was going to say having owners there (for any size animal) is probably the trickiest thing about PTS.

TW smalls with no veins they have to gas down and then inject straight into the heart, I have been offered to be there but figure the last thing they want is me in the way and I trust them to be doing the best they can out the back.

I was pretty appalled at that post but wasn't able to write it as well as you two.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
And also - that's utter rubbish. Most vets are empathetic towards the owners need to be with the horse when it's PTS, but most would find it a lot easier to do the deed without the owner there at all.

I agree, vets have said to me when I have held horses for others that they wish badly upset owners would actually stay away.

scats

Visit site
I stay with my animals because I am calm and matter of fact. Any tears come later when the horse is gone and I’m alone. A couple of my friends joke that I have a swinging brick for a heart and I’m always the first port of call to hold anything that needs putting to sleep.
The last thing a horse needs is a weeping and wailing owner so I have no problem at all with people deciding it’s not for them to be there. I think most vets would feel the same to be honest.

When Diva went (very quickly, by injection), one of the students watching got very upset and then felt funny and had to sit down. I ended up comforting her. Some people find it very difficult to deal with.

Nobody should be made to feel guilty about not being there at the end.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
For me a very important reason I would choose to have mine PTS by injection is so that I could stay with them until it's done. I trust myself that I can remain calm until it's done.
With a gun I don't think I could keep a lid on my emotions which isn't fair to my horses. They do not need to pick up on my distress in their last moments.
Ideally they will go by injection and I will be with them. However in an emergency if the best option was the gun, I would stay long enough to keep them calm and then I would hand over to the professionals and a trusted friend and trust the job to be done quickly and quietly.
My horse would gain nothing from me hysterically sobbing the other end of the lead rope, and the image of my horse being shot would be forever burned into my mind. I don't see why that trauma is necessary or beneficial to anyone in that situation.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
The pts that went wrong here, the vet was so thankful that he was dealing with owners that were farmers and knew that death was not always straight forward. He himself was as upset as we were. If he had also had to deal with an hysterical owner the traumatic occaision would have been catastrophic. A second vet would have had to come out as he would not have been able to leave the still standing but unstable animal to a person who would have tried to cuddle/comfort it. The mare could have crashed to the floor at any moment while he was away but had to be restrained on a rope as we were outside.

It was not a good memory for anyone and a distanced third party can be a great help in keeping the memories good.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The local Equine Crematorium went through a phase of asking owners to hand the horse over and leave after an incident where an owner threw herself at the dead horse and refused to let go. That seems to have eased up again, although perhaps it's just because we know them socially as well as professionally.

I prefer to stay with the horse whenever possible but, of course, only the pro can actually hold the horse for it to be shot, which is my preferred method.

If people don't feel able to be present, then, obviously, it is best that they are not. We all need to put the horse's needs before our own, imho.

Last edited:

View

Visit site
If people don't feel able to be present, then, obviously, it is best that they are not. We all need to put the horse's needs before our own, imho.

This. With bells on.

I’ve been with all of our animals at the end. I’m a sobbing wreck afterwards, but am utterly calm and reassuring until they are gone.

I’m also one of those that will be there for those who can’t lead the horse out to the place. It’s a privilege to ensure that i can make sure their final moments are calm and that their owners aren’t distressed by stressing their much loved equines at this point.

It’s not my place to decide what method should be used when it’s not my horse.

The method employed will depend on different factors. What is right in one set of circumstances may be wrong in another.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yes I was thinking with shooting you can't hold on to them, presumably that also makes you a terrible owner in some people's eyes?!

My situ is actually I haven't actually got a clue how I will be when it's happening. I'd hope to be holding it together with logical brain firmly in place but unless you've done it before you don't know do you?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
This. With bells on.

I’ve been with all of our animals at the end. I’m a sobbing wreck afterwards, but am utterly calm and reassuring until they are gone.

I’m also one of those that will be there for those who can’t lead the horse out to the place. It’s a privilege to ensure that i can make sure their final moments are calm and that their owners aren’t distressed by stressing their much loved equines at this point.

It’s not my place to decide what method should be used when it’s not my horse.

The method employed will depend on different factors. What is right in one set of circumstances may be wrong in another.

I always stay within sight of the horse, who has her nose in a bucket of tasty food, whenever possible.

Ratface

Visit site
I've always been able be calm and emotionally steady with supporting my own and others' animals when they need to be euthanized.
I then go away and cry for days afterwards. I still cry over the loss of my beloved whippet, who left to chase rabbits in Heaven at least ten years ago . . .

BSL2

Visit site
Over the years, I've had 4 put to sleep by injection. The vet had to pull me out of the way as one went down with his head in a bucket so quickly. The others also went peacefully. Speak with your vet to discuss possible reactions of the body after death. Your vet should also be able to advise re removal of fallen stock. There is no reason to be there to witness that. To anyone having to organise this..be proud of what a great owner you are.❤️

Equi

Visit site
I can't watch my own animals be put to sleep. I was there for one dog and now its all I can think about when I remember him. I have no issue dealing with a body after the fact and could move them myself or watch them be moved but I can't watch "the death." I don't feel shame about that, its just how I am. It does mean someone else has to deal with it, but they don't have that emotional connection I do. I have been there for an injection PTS of someone elses horse but the horse was already down from colic. The worst part of that one was being the person phoning them to tell them the horse was colicking badly and that it was not going to live.

But to answer the question, I have had one shot and one injected. I can't say which was better or worse because I was not there but something about them being suddenly dead vs. a bit druggy, falling and then dying makes me uncomfortable. I think what I hate most about the thought of PTS is the thought of seeing them falling but trying to still stand (like how they fight sedation to castrate for example) Gun shot is sudden.

Numpty1986

New User
Visit site
I had my horse put to sleep 5 days ago, he was diagnosed with a paralysed larynx, he’d had pneumonia 4 times in 8 weeks. I was the same and absolutely could not see him shot. He was very poorly and he wasn’t overly energetic by this point. My vet came out, put in a cannula and then we walked him down to his summer grazing, my vet did not sedate him first, he had passed before he even fell to the floor, the vet hadn’t even finished putting the injection in, once he was on the floor the vet popped the last of the injection in but he had already passed by this point. On the flip side I had a different horse put to sleep by injection nearly 10 years ago and that was horrific! She was sedated first and she wasn’t dying before hand so it was a different situation. My boy was extremely poorly and was basically drowning on dry land, he had no fight left in him so he just peacefully went to sleep! It is always going to be personal preference but my recommendation if you have the injection, is to just hand your horse to the vet or a helper then turn and walk away, do not turn round until it’s over because it’s an awfully painful thing to go through!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've done 2 of my own both with vet injection but I have done quite a few with both gun and injection where the owner didn't want to be present, and I am totally open to personal choice in this and I would help out anyone who needed support or any kind of help no matter what the situation is.

Birker2020

Visit site
I had my horse put to sleep 5 days ago, he was diagnosed with a paralysed larynx, he’d had pneumonia 4 times in 8 weeks. I was the same and absolutely could not see him shot. He was very poorly and he wasn’t overly energetic by this point. My vet came out, put in a cannula and then we walked him down to his summer grazing, my vet did not sedate him first, he had passed before he even fell to the floor, the vet hadn’t even finished putting the injection in, once he was on the floor the vet popped the last of the injection in but he had already passed by this point. On the flip side I had a different horse put to sleep by injection nearly 10 years ago and that was horrific! She was sedated first and she wasn’t dying before hand so it was a different situation. My boy was extremely poorly and was basically drowning on dry land, he had no fight left in him so he just peacefully went to sleep! It is always going to be personal preference but my recommendation if you have the injection, is to just hand your horse to the vet or a helper then turn and walk away, do not turn round until it’s over because it’s an awfully painful thing to go through!
I agree. I wanted to be with Bailey but didn't want my last memory of her to be going down. I had not cried in front of her since making the decision over a week in advance, every time I was stopped by someone asking about her if I felt myself get teary or well up I walked away from her.

On the morning the vet came we had a 'lovely' time. She had the fence taken down in her paddock she did a little buck and prance of joy even though she was visibly lame as the bute hadn't kicked it until a few minutes later. We took loads of photos of her in the field and she kept walked over to us for a scratch and fuss. Someone kindly took some of the three of us a few minutes before the vet arrived. Again no tears shed that morning either, I had seen someone years before having their horse put down the following day clinging to its mane sobbing and I didn't want that for her to be anxious.

When the vet arrived and I said I couldn't watch her go down he said to walk away, my partner already had left us by that point and we both stood behind the trailer crying out of sight of us, and heard her go down, then we looked and she wasn't moving and had stopped breathing by the time we walked back.

Last edited:

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I had also planned to avoid seeing mine go down, however turned round at the moment he started to go down, and it was like he was lying down to sleep, so in a way I was reassured I did see him go down, as it was so peaceful. However you need to ensure you only stay for the parts YOU feel comfortable with. My decision had been very controversial so I was reassured it was so calm.

Absolutely do not stay to see the loading process, say your goodbyes and walk away. With mine the vet oversaw it, and also arranged that aspect so if you choose the vet ask them if they can do the same, unless you wish to use a different company to theirs.

I also took some mane and tail before hand, the vet also asked me if I wanted some so I also had her take some for me. There's a lot of options for what you can have done with it, or even just to keep (mine is still in the bag in my jewellery drawer and my box of his stuff I've chosen to keep on my wardrobe)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
However you need to ensure you only stay for the parts YOU feel comfortable with.

Agree with this. I don't understand the posts you see pressurising owners to watch every moment. It's no good for the horse or vet if the owner is in pieces at a critical moment.

I stayed for my recent one, I felt it was right and everything was essentially straightforward .. though even then he fell the "wrong" way despite vets efforts, and faceplanted into a puddle ? that's why people shouldn't stay if they are unsure, because it's not always dignified and some people find that upsetting.

Birker2020

Visit site
Agree with this. I don't understand the posts you see pressurising owners to watch every moment. It's no good for the horse or vet if the owner is in pieces at a critical moment.

I stayed for my recent one, I felt it was right and everything was essentially straightforward .. though even then he fell the "wrong" way despite vets efforts, and faceplanted into a puddle ? that's why people shouldn't stay if they are unsure, because it's not always dignified and some people find that upsetting.
I expect you did find that upsetting and undignified even though you were aware he was unconscious when he did so.

I agree with what you said and would never force anyone into watching their horse put down or even being present if they didn't want to. I would keep my views totally out of it and give unbiased advice, everyone is different and everyone reacts differently.

SEL

Visit site
My poor mother had her elderly cat put down during one of the lockdowns and couldn't be with him - she's not forgiven herself for that although I have absolutely no doubt the vets were quick and compassionate.

I don't think we should put so much pressure on people to be with their animals at the end. I see FB posts implying that owners have let down their animals by handing them over to the vets and I think that's unfair. Traumatic enough as it is without the guilt trip.

Birker2020

Visit site
My poor mother had her elderly cat put down during one of the lockdowns and couldn't be with him - she's not forgiven herself for that although I have absolutely no doubt the vets were quick and compassionate.

I don't think we should put so much pressure on people to be with their animals at the end. I see FB posts implying that owners have let down their animals by handing them over to the vets and I think that's unfair. Traumatic enough as it is without the guilt trip.
Yes this happened to a friends dog, they just had to hand over to the vet nurse and their last siting was of him trotting down the corridor away from them.

During lockdown one of my major worries was should anything happen to my precious Bailey I'd not be allowed to be with her and it was a major worry.

I'd much rather someone was absent from their horse at the critical time than them pouring their heart out with grief and possibly stressing them by being there.