Hay containers for the field?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Hi all
I want to feed dry hay in the field - and want some sort of container to stop it blowing away and/or being trampled by my bigfoot clumsy wasteful Shire cross.
Obviously, I'm far too tight to pay for Hay Hutches or similar. :p

So - what can you suggest for small bale sections, which two horses (15.2 ish and 16.2 ish) can eat from without killing themselves?
It would help if it is easily moved, as I'm not keen on mud-wrestling with objects.
:)

Taliesan

Visit site
I bought some wooden crates off a guy from Facebook that are perfect for keeping the hay dry and contained in the field. He's based in Birmingham so that may not be useful for you depending on whereabouts you are.

They were about £20 each and my two can comfortably share from one. That said I do have two crates as it means they can have one each if they want to.

Alternatively you could look at getting one of the larger potato crates? They look like they'd do a good job at keeping hay dry and contained.

Limbo1

Visit site
Hi all
I want to feed dry hay in the field - and want some sort of container to stop it blowing away and/or being trampled by my bigfoot clumsy wasteful Shire cross.

So - what can you suggest for small bale sections, which two horses (15.2 ish and 16.2 ish) can eat from without killing themselves?
It would help if it is easily moved, as I'm not keen on mud-wrestling with objects.
We use a large herd net tied to the rings in shelter. Will take over a bale of hay. If no shelter how about 2/3 fence posts sunk into ground.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
You should be able to get a round bale feeder for sheep from a farm supplies shop for about £100, so cheaper than a hay hutch. Add wire so the horses can't stick their legs through the rails (I used cable ties) and voila, a hay feeder that's safe for horses. It comes apart in two halves for when you need to move it.

Attachments

• Horseshayfeeder.jpg
    Horseshayfeeder.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Carriehay.jpg
    Carriehay.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 29

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
tipped over old tractor tire?

article-2024460-0D6086DF00000578-727_634x474.jpg

colt_in_tire.jpg

foal_in_tyre.jpg

I know these have been posted before but I think it should be repeated when the suggestion of tractor tyres comes up. Only the grey was able to be rescued.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Are they shod? I use field nets - small holed hay nets with the string removed and a clip in its place. It works well - virtually no wastage, no issues with the nets as yet (obviously I check them daily when I fill them, wouldn't use anything with even a small hole / break!) - except that I have to fill the damn things, and being allergic to hay, I don't like that!

Hipo

Visit site
I use these plastic pallet boxes and tie haynets into the bottom, bought second hand from e bay.

Attachments

• F05A1774-C2D0-4254-BD03-0758405AFC64.jpeg
    F05A1774-C2D0-4254-BD03-0758405AFC64.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 7

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine got into wooden crates.
I'd try and get a tombstone feeder if possible..

Otherwise if you can secure them then wheelie bins with holes at the bottom to eat out of work quite well and my awkward bunch didnt find a way to get tangled in those 🙄🙄🙄

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Thank you for your replies.
Tyres - maybe not (those pictures are heartbreaking).
I haven't anything to secure nets/wheelie bins to - there are trees at the top where I normally tie nets but it's all poached due to the recent deluges so I want to move them into the lower field part (it's on a hill) to rest the top. They aren't shod and are sensible enough except the Shire x likes to scratch her giant 800kg bum on things.
Sheep feeders/wooden or plastic crates look like interesting solutions - I live in an area of orchards - anyone know if fruit crates would be suitable/obtainable?
Fainting with horror at Jeni the dragon's suggestion that I actually spend my cash on a Hay Hutch :oops:

Esmae

Visit site
I saw somewhere that somebody used 4 fence posts in a square in the ground and fixed a big builders bag between and filled it with hay. Haven't tried it myself but it sounds an inexpensive goer to me.

irishdraft

Visit site
Apple boxes do work in the field for hay . I have a cut down 1000 litre water containers which my husband cut the metal casing off then I've put some concrete blocks in it to hold it down I used them last winter and now for this and haven't had a problem I think they are about £25.00

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Apple boxes do work in the field for hay . I have a cut down 1000 litre water containers which my husband cut the metal casing off then I've put some concrete blocks in it to hold it down I used them last winter and now for this and haven't had a problem I think they are about £25.00

Where the heckadoodle did you get one for £25 from? I've been looking and for guaranteed non-contaminated ones it's heading towards £200.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
The person in the next door field to me got an old table, wooden picnic bench style. Doctored it and put netting where the table was and "hey" presto.

I have an old bath for mine. Tile crates are worth hunting down too.

fairhill

Visit site
I use an old guinea pig hutch with the roof removed. It fits a bale at a time and 2 do share but it’s a bit cosy so they need to get on well. I’ve been putting some on the ground as well so they have options.
I’ve also seen amended wooden cots being used.

jumbyjack

Visit site
I have a mini hayhutch, it was for my Shetlands, they were awful with it and constantly lobbed over the wall or booted it through the fence. It survived their trashing attempts totally undamaged and is now used by a big cob who also chucks it about,it's still undamaged and must be years old now. Well worth the money!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Hi all

Are you sure you don’t want them to kill themselves? Just a little maim?..

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I have several different feeders - The hay saver is brilliant & very robust for the field - managed to get 2nd hand for £80.
A large hay hutch - 2nd hand for £175 - great as keeps hay dry so you can stock up for few days & know they wont run out & its dry.
I also use cold water storage tanks - sourced free from skips & plumbing company 2nd hand.
Trickle nets for summer when dry ground & just fill & leave on ground.
Ive never seen those tyre pics before - relieved I don't have any of those!
Ive seen some people use recycling bins with hole cut out bottom side.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I haven't used what I'm proposing but I think it would work. Get yourself an IBC, remove the plastic container from it & use the galvanised cage part. Put your hay in there & if necessary you can fit a plywood lid to keep it dry. You can pick these up really cheap & it should do the job. My horses are in individual paddocks so they each have a hay net on a post in their paddock..