Head shapes and helmets, is this a stupid question?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
So, I've been meaning to get myself a better helmet than the one I bought from Decathlon back in about 2012.

I've read on here that there are basically two head shapes, when it comes to helmets: round and oval. But what does "oval" mean?

Reactions: DD

The Trooper

Visit site
The suggestion I would give is go to a local horsey/country store and get a fitted hat, I got one for my melon head at Carrs Billington and it fits miles better than the one i bought online after using a tape measure. I have a shape that suits Champion helmets but not GPA.

Reactions: DD

Keith_Beef

Visit site
Thanks.

I went to a local tack and clothing shop last summer, when I first started thinking I'd get a new helmet, and the girls in there didn't seem to have much of an idea, other than offering to let me try on the helmets that looked like they were vaguely my size, and saying that if I had a particular make or model in mind, the shop owner could get a couple of different sizes of that helmet for me to try.

I'll try to get over there this Saturday to see if the offer still stands.

pippixox

Visit site
Yes I think I’m ‘oval’! I wear champion junior hats, no other ones feel as comfortable even if the right size. Helpful that they are cheap. I prefer the look of some but they simply don’t fit well

HEM

Visit site
Don't mean to thread steal KB but I have been thinking the same recently! I am never left with a headache and my hat isn't moving on my head so kinda assume it's the right size (was fitted by a "professional") but I always find my hat leaves a very embarrassing red line across my forehead!!! no one on my yard seems to have this issue! Do any of you?

HeyMich

Visit site
I went to a local tack and clothing shop last summer, when I first started thinking I'd get a new helmet, and the girls in there didn't seem to have much of an idea, other than offering to let me try on the helmets that looked like they were vaguely my size, and saying that if I had a particular make or model in mind, the shop owner could get a couple of different sizes of that helmet for me to try.

I'll try to get over there this Saturday to see if the offer still stands.

I'd maybe go to a different one, if you can! One that offers helmet fittings, and knows what they are doing. It will be worth it for comfort and most of all, safety!

Horsekaren

Visit site
I went to a good saddlery that helped fit a helmet, i have a tiny head 54cm, everything i tried on that was oval just sat on the top of my head a bit like a shallow pudding bowl. The only one i could find was a jockey skull (children) that was small but deep enough to not have the pudding dish effect. Its round and comfy. I had to wear it for 15 mins in the store to let it bed to my head then turn my head upside down to see if it fell off which it didn't thankfully.

Or going back 20 years i remember my local riding school selling me a hat and giving me a newspaper to stuff in the side of the lining to make it fit :) that could be worth a try if you don't value your head or its content.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Don't mean to thread steal KB but I have been thinking the same recently! I am never left with a headache and my hat isn't moving on my head so kinda assume it's the right size (was fitted by a "professional") but I always find my hat leaves a very embarrassing red line across my forehead!!! no one on my yard seems to have this issue! Do any of you?
yeah I have a gatehouse which I love for the washable liner and how ventilated it is, but it doesn't really suit my headshape and I get a dent on my forehead for hours! normally wear champion hats though I also have a CO one,I think they do 2 shapes now.

Reactions: HEM

albeg

Visit site
yeah I have a gatehouse which I love for the washable liner and how ventilated it is, but it doesn't really suit my headshape and I get a dent on my forehead for hours! normally wear champion hats though I also have a CO one,I think they do 2 shapes now.

They do, but they're a different shape to Champion, I tried a few on at a show last year, we had to go up two sizes from what I wear in a Champion and it just wasn't right.

KB, see if you can find somewhere with a decent selection that will do fittings.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
KB, see if you can find somewhere with a decent selection that will do fittings.

I've tried. I haven't found anywhere that I can get to by a mix of public transport and foot that offers helmet fitting, not even anywhere that has a good selection. Finding both is like finding rocking horse poo with diamonds in it.

This Saturday, I'll go in the the local shop and hope that the owner is around; maybe he'll know how to measure me up, and get in some Charles Owen 4* and Pro II helmets in a couple of sizes for me to try.

Pippity

Visit site
I just bought a Uvex - cost me a small fortune but I’m in love - a hat that adjusts to my head and doesn’t move nor does it give me a headache - never thought it was possible

I adored my Uvex but, when I came to replace it after a fall, I couldn't find any information on what safety standards they were. So I went for a Gatehouse RXC1 instead. Now we're getting into summer, I'm considering getting an Uvex again because they're so comfortable, especially in hot weather.

meleeka

Visit site
I have an oval shape head. I prefer Champion hats and the added bonus is my head is that small I can buy kids size hats 😂😂😂
Same here. I didn’t know what shape my head was, only that my old had dug in either side of my forehead.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I adored my Uvex but, when I came to replace it after a fall, I couldn't find any information on what safety standards they were. So I went for a Gatehouse RXC1 instead. Now we're getting into summer, I'm considering getting an Uvex again because they're so comfortable, especially in hot weather.
The conform to VG1 which is fine for dressage and show jumping but not x country cos of the fixed peak . HTH

Bx

Reacher

Visit site
I had my hat fitted in the shop by a trained fitter, damn thing gives me a headache. I think read a hat fitting guide online and then if you’ve got a selection of the oval shaped ones to try you will be the best judge of what fits.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I have a very oval head and I have a gatehouse. Also love the UVEX I tried on recently, but can't really justify buying another hat atm.

Shay

Visit site
VG1 is only competition legal here if they are also UK Kitemarked. Daft - but true. I think hat fitting does depend on individual opinion and some fitters are basically better than others. Thats just life. We have to take a degree of responsibility for it ourselves with what suits and what does not. You can still get wadding to pad the inside of the hat band if you need to - bit better than newspaper but the same point. And Champion shaped heads here!

Keith_Beef

Visit site
Hmm... Maybe a Uvex Exxential would do for me. I really want one with good air flow (I'm hot all year round) and without a peak (so I can still look ahead while ducking under low branches in the forest).

Curiously, Kramer lists this helmet as being available in sizes XS/S, S/M, M/L, L/XL in Europe, yet only XS/S, S/M, L/XL in the UK.

But an adjustable helmet with a removable peak for €100 might be worth a go, rather than a fixed size Owen for closer to €180.

blitznbobs

Visit site
VG1 is only competition legal here if they are also UK Kitemarked. Daft - but true. I think hat fitting does depend on individual opinion and some fitters are basically better than others. Thats just life. We have to take a degree of responsibility for it ourselves with what suits and what does not. You can still get wadding to pad the inside of the hat band if you need to - bit better than newspaper but the same point. And Champion shaped heads here!
I’ve checked it’s kite marked too

albeg

Visit site
I've tried. I haven't found anywhere that I can get to by a mix of public transport and foot that offers helmet fitting, not even anywhere that has a good selection. Finding both is like finding rocking horse poo with diamonds in it.

This Saturday, I'll go in the the local shop and hope that the owner is around; maybe he'll know how to measure me up, and get in some Charles Owen 4* and Pro II helmets in a couple of sizes for me to try.

Oh no, what a pain. Fingers crossed you can get talking to the shop owner.

Bojingles

Visit site
I have an enormous round noggin and can only wear Champion skulls. Anything else, however comfortable it feels in the shop, will always give me a cracking headache.

Tarragon

Visit site
When I last went to buy a new hat I had a smart one in mind, one of those that are lightweight and vented, and was prepared to pay for it but ended coming out with the cheapest skull cap because it was the only one that fitted.
I never look nice in a riding hat as I have a very small face and also wear glasses so whatever the hat it always looks huge.
Hey ho!

Keith_Beef

Visit site
OK, just back from taking my boots to get the sole stuck back on again, and from the tack shop: the owner was there, so I got to talk to him about helmets. I tried on a Uvex that felt comfortable (but at €200 for an Exxential, I think that's taking the piss), but the Charles Owen Pro II he has in is far too small. He's agreed to get in a Pro II and try to get a 4Star, and he'll give me a call whe nI can come in to try them.

I also needed a new crop, to replace mine that I dropped somewhere when walking up to the yard last Sunday. I asked him for the plainest, simplest he had: it's brown with "goldish" ring and pommel. Oh, well, it's just a stopgap until I finish making my own (black, with black trim and black highlights and a steel or nickel-silver pommel).

GTRJazz

Visit site
I have a Gatehouse HS1 Jockey Skull at the time I got mine the grey color was for round heads and black for oval .

TTK

Visit site
If you don’t compete, a Troxel Sierra is really good for air flow. It’s American and for trail riding so no good for competition but I love mine for the summer. You should be able to get one by mail order (viovet do them in the UK). The Troxel website gives a size guide.