Healing vibes needed

fankino04

Visit site
So over the past few months noodles signs of aging have increased but out of no where last night getting up became so much harder for her, her legs were bowing very quickly when she was up and it really didn't look good. Gave her her matacam and left her to rest but she's not much better this morning so waiting for vets to open to see if o can get a home visit early this morning as she's too big for me to get in and out of the car. Not sure if it's just age or she has hurt herself getting up yesterday, the floor is covered in rugs and mats but she still manages to find small gaps or move them to make a gap to lie on the bare floor so she may have pulled or tweaked something if she's slipped getting up, the difference from Saturday to Sunday is huge though ?

fankino04

Visit site
I've just used the thermal imaging camera on her and normally she has no hot spots but today both her hips are red, 1 more than the other, don't know if that's arthritis kicking in or an injury though as haven't scanned her for a few months. I know I only have limited time left with her but I feel like I'm getting back on the merry go round of " today's a good day so don't need to panic" to the next day of thinking " we need to call it now". If it's not an injury and she can go downhill this quickly then even if she can recover and have some more good or ok days is it fair to her if there's just going to be another huge setback like this in a few weeks. I'm getting ahead of myself again though just have to wait to see what vet says and take it from there.

Bellasophia

Visit site
All the best for today,I hope the vet can get her to rally even one more time for you to have some quality time with Noodle.Let us know how she goes.

fankino04

Visit site
Well main vets aren't doing home visits, other vets open at 8.15 so will try them then, don't want to try to man handle her into the car if I can help it as if it is an injury I could make it much worse?

Bellasophia

Visit site
Agree with you re yu move ..but,maybe don’t redose until after her visit so vet can see her at her worst and have a better assessment?

fankino04

Visit site
Agree with you re yu move ..but,maybe don’t redose until after her visit so vet can see her at her worst and have a better assessment?
She does seem more careful on her hind leg that has the hotter spot on the camera on that hip so I'm leaning towards injury, also the speed of the decline would suggest something else but when they are this age it just seems that I'm always looking for what's wrong and jumping to the worst conclusion. I went out the front door earlier to put the bins out and she sat up so perky looking at me like"is it walking time" didn't get up to come out though and until she's been checked over she's just being kept quiet with a little potter into the garden to go to the toilet.

Shady

Visit site
Fingers crossed that she's slipped and tweaked something. It's such a worry when they are oldies. My friend swears by yu move and says the difference is noticeable very quickly if she runs out. Hope you get to see the vet later Fankino . I am sending lots of healing vibes. x

fankino04

Visit site
Fingers crossed that she's slipped and tweaked something. It's such a worry when they are oldies. My friend swears by yu move and says the difference is noticeable very quickly if she runs out. Hope you get to see the vet later Fankino . I am sending lots of healing vibes. x
Thanks, no vets doing home visits at the moment so not sure what to do now, I honestly think the amount of man handling to get in and out of car to get to the vets could make an injury worse but really want her checked over so I know what I'm dealing with. All suggestions welcome at this point....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks, no vets doing home visits at the moment so not sure what to do now, I honestly think the amount of man handling to get in and out of car to get to the vets could make an injury worse but really want her checked over so I know what I'm dealing with. All suggestions welcome at this point....

Is there an animal ambulance locally that would have a ramp that she could walk up? Are have you access to a horsebox?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I had this with my old GSD, who not only was heavy to lift in car but also hated it. :( I got her in the car by putting her front legs on the lip of the boot and then just helping her back end in, if you do it carefully you shouldn't hurt her or do any damage. I think the important thing is that she sees a vet. Hope it is just a tweak and she can be made more comfortable.

fankino04

Visit site
OH has just come down and started making his breakfast so she's got herself up and wandered in and out of the kitchen in the hope of some food and is now clearly lame on her right hind?

fankino04

Visit site
Is there an animal ambulance locally that would have a ramp that she could walk up? Are have you access to a horsebox?
We got her a ramp and she refuses to use it, we do normally manage to get her in and out of the back seat by encouraging her to put her front feet up and then lifting her back end up but I don't think she would even get her front feet up today, she is really having to build herself up to do the single step out into the garden. We've also got an under belly sling to try to take the weight of her back end for her but as soon as it goes round her belly she refuses to move.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
OH has just come down and started making his breakfast so she's got herself up and wandered in and out of the kitchen in the hope of some food and is now clearly lame on her right hind?

Poor girl. As there are two of you can you lift her in together, one at the front one at the back ?

fankino04

Visit site
Poor girl. As there are two of you can you lift her in together, one at the front one at the back ?
Have done a short video of her for the vet to show the lameness and have a phone consultation in half hour so will take it from there. Think it will be rest and pain killers for a few days then reasses if no better.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We got her a ramp and she refuses to use it, we do normally manage to get her in and out of the back seat by encouraging her to put her front feet up and then lifting her back end up but I don't think she would even get her front feet up today, she is really having to build herself up to do the single step out into the garden. We've also got an under belly sling to try to take the weight of her back end for her but as soon as it goes round her belly she refuses to move.

I've had dogs refuse to use a ramp. I think they just don't trust them. That is why I was wondering about a professional set-up which might have an electric ramp, like the ones for wheelchairs, or a much bigger ramp like on a horsebox, which she could walk up

fankino04

Visit site
I've had dogs refuse to use a ramp. I think they just don't trust them. That is why I was wondering about a professional set-up which might have an electric ramp, like the ones for wheelchairs, or a much bigger ramp like on a horsebox, which she could walk up
I tried to train her to use the ramp in the garden when we got it and she was fine on the flat or low inclines ( like the step to the garden) but wouldn't entertain it for the car and now won't use it for the step in and out of the garden ( bloody dog just won't be helped). Nick does have an electric ramp for his van so that's an option if vet thinks she needs to be seen when he finishes work this afternoon.

meleeka

Visit site
Have done a short video of her for the vet to show the lameness and have a phone consultation in half hour so will take it from there. Think it will be rest and pain killers for a few days then reasses if no better.
That’s a great idea. I wish my vets would do this.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I tried to train her to use the ramp in the garden when we got it and she was fine on the flat or low inclines ( like the step to the garden) but wouldn't entertain it for the car and now won't use it for the step in and out of the garden ( bloody dog just won't be helped). Nick does have an electric ramp for his van so that's an option if vet thinks she needs to be seen when he finishes work this afternoon.

That sounds like the answer to your problem

fankino04

Visit site
Well vet thinks she has had an arthritis flare up possibly caused by slipping when getting up, so has said metacam and pardale for 5 days and only exercise in the house and garden. She says no need to pen her in anywhere as she needs the gentle exercise to avoid getting too stiff and becoming sore from that instead. She did say there is a great new injection for arthritis called librella (sp?) to try her on when she is more comfortable and able to get to the vet so booked an appointment for Monday next week for that.

SAujla

Visit site
Good luck over the next few days, hopefully it's just a flare up and it gives you a few days to research the new arthritis injection

fankino04

Visit site
Good luck over the next few days, hopefully it's just a flare up and it gives you a few days to research the new arthritis injection
Thanks, I'm not convinced it's arthritis if I'm honest, she was only diagnosed with a little bit of it in January so it feels like a huge progression to get to what I'm seeing today but I'm not a vet so have to trust what they say, if she pulled or strained something it would be the same meds and rest so I guess it doesn't matter too much which it is. Been researching the jab a bit and it looks good in that it can be used alongside metacam as they work differently ( bit like when I take tramadol with naproxen if my back is really bad) so that's good. Vet charges £120 for the jab, £75 online though...

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Presumably it’s prescription only , so that would increase cost of you buying it, and personally I wouldn’t be happy giving a dog a drug for the first time without veterinary supervision.

fankino04

Visit site
Presumably it’s prescription only , so that would increase cost of you buying it, and personally I wouldn’t be happy giving a dog a drug for the first time without veterinary supervision.
Well she's booked in at the vet for next Monday to discuss and hopefully have the injection but they are needed every 6 weeks so if they are good for her will definitely look at online for future doses