Heatwave measures!!

canteron

Visit site
Feeling rather annoyed ..... due to the high predicted temperatures I am going to move my horses to the ‘winter’ fields outside the house where there is more shady opportunities and I can open up a stable and create a ‘field shelter’ area with a through draught.

Annoyed because the grass is only slowly recovering .... and I have to poo pick them ?.

But exceptional times call for exceptional measures? Poor them it’s going to be too hot ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It’s a worry isn’t it. I only have wooden stables, they have become a lot cooler since growing a huge hedge behind and this year we have cut back windows out which made a massive difference but even so, I long for concrete or stone stables!
My most shaded grazing also is horrific with flies so they actually stress and won’t stand in the shade anyway.
I really am looking forward to Autumn and Winter!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I want that! Not the potential 35/37 that's being bandied about tonight for tomorrow!
Early alarm to do fuzzies and pootle tomorrow I think, then slink home to sit in front of fan, wishing I was at work in the air con office.

You should be up here on top of the Pennines! It won't get anywhere near that and with the windchill factor it should be just pleasant - although I will keep the dogs inside the house.

SO1

Visit site
I am quite worried. Forecast to be 37C pony on rehab for an injury only allowed out for a couple of hours in small paddock no shade. Rest of time in his wooden stable. Just hope he will be ok. Going to ask yard staff if they can hose him down.

HashRouge

Visit site
In Yorkshire we're just happy it's going to stop raining for a few days :)
We could really do with some of that rain in Sussex, it's utterly parched here! There's no grass, and the hay yield has been really poor.

I moved my two ponies into their second summer field last night as it has better shade and they can have access to the stables. They've been off it for over a month and the grass has not grown back at all, it's just brown and dead looking. I had a frantic ring round yesterday to get some hay in for them! Their other summer field has a tiny corner that I've not strip grazed yet but that is almost done too. Normally my summer grass lasts until the end of October!!

meleeka

Visit site
I’m just going to give all mine a bath with the hose and put hay under the trees. They will no doubt be hot, but are pretty good at sleeping all day so should be ok. The dogs aren’t going to be happy as they will stay at home today.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I have abandoned my two out in their field. They are lucky in that they have a grove of trees which stays cooler. Add a trough full of water, and a salt lick, and I'm sure they'll live.
I did take their fly rugs off though.

And as for me - I'm lurking indoors with the curtains drawn, wishing I was back in cool, wet Scotland.

TwyfordM

Visit site
We have stone stables but they have a metal roof so I think they are going to be awful.
I'm leaving her out, they have about 10 acres, goes right up to the top of the hill so if theres any breeze they will get it there, rest is wooded and they have plenty of water.

No doubt they will all stand in the sun though ?‍♀️
Absolutely boiling in Kent already, glad I'm not at work. I'm at home with the windows open and fans all on ?

SEL

Visit site
I dread weather like this. My mare with anhidrosis really, really struggles and there's no breeze today either. Last Friday it hit 33 and they were all in the very shady barn for the physio and by 2pm she was struggling - so turned out.

Today we could easily hit 37 down here, she's got some shade and I'm hoping she stands in it.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I envy those of you with rain. Once again, Germany is having a dry summer. The fields are toast. We've had a fair amount of fires too since people aren't familiar with such a dry climate they forget how easily they start and spread when everything is so dry. I am not sure if there will be a second cut hay. Long gone are the says where we could toss a horse out on grass. Now we have to supplement with hay, the fields just fry.

Anyho, bringing my guy in every morning around 11:00 and he'll stand in his stable/small shaded paddock with hay. Far less bugs, and I can remove his fly sheet and mask for the day so he doesn't get too hot in it. Then he will go back out in the evening. If I ride, I'll do it in the mornings.

WandaMare

Visit site
I also dread these very hot days, especially as I have an older horse with Cushings who gets very quiet in the heat. I got all my chores done early this morning and hacked my other horse while it was cool, but the flies were dreadful, all over both of us.

After the hot days of the last few summers, I bought some big fans, like the ones they have in gyms. I put them on a bale of shavings in the wheelbarrow (tied on!) and place them in front of the horses doors. They love them, the old one keeps her head in the cool air most of the day. The added bonus is that they blow the flies away too.

We can't complain about the grass here in the south west, ours is as green as anything and has been growing full speed since the end of June. Farmer was here putting up some fencing for me yesterday and said two of our fields are almost ready for a second cut, its growing much thicker than back in the spring.

I also have the cats in the cattery to look after but generally they lie out in the hottest part of their runs basking in the heat even though I do everything possible to try to encourage them into the shade, it can't be that healthy for them to cook themselves all day!

Hope everyone's horses, dogs, cats and other animals are OK today and over the weekend, especially in the south east

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I'm so jealous of all of you with good weather, we've reached a positively tropical 17 degrees today accompanied by fog. Still it's marginally better than the rain we've been having for weeks now. I would love parched fields it would make keeping my laminitis prone fatty so much easier!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I hate the heat and my pale skin dosnt do well in sun so I am hiding indoors, tiled floors downstairs which help, fans on, curtains and blinds drawn!! ponies are both out, they both have natural shade, littlest pony has a ditch and hedge combo on one side, he stands in the ditch with the hedge over the top of him, bigger one has hedge and an enormous tree which he will spent most of the day snoozing under. Fields poo picked and extra water troughs filled before 10am this morning, will go back about 8pm to do evening checks. Its far too hot for me so my biys get the day off too!

windand rain

Visit site
Put the black pony a coolcoat on although no doubt he will have trashed it by morning it is very slippery fabric generally have to rebuild it after each use. Sewing machine helps a lot

eggs

Visit site
Mine always come in during the day to brick stables but with metal roof. Most of them have a stall guard up to let some breeze in and top half of the back of the stables are Yorkshire boarded which helps. The two end stables that don't catch the breeze get really hot and the horses in there usually end of sweating so much to their disgust I have moved them into the back stables which are much cooler. They will be going out later into the winter fields as there are big barns that they can stand in to keep out of the sun and flies.

Dogs are happily splashing about in their paddling pool and every so often I got out and join them. Having cool feet and ankles is lovely :)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I massively hate the heat (yet am always cold!

I'm wfh and have all the blinds closed yet am sweating there's a slight breeze but its a warm one so not doing any use, can't get comfortable.

I've just gone and poured cold water on my top to try and get some relief I dont have video calls so no one will see!

Its supposed to be like it until Tuesday, urgh! I have a lesson tomorrow dreading that Sunday ill probably go down the lanes as there's at least some shade.

I'm in the south east im very envious of the North the weather forecast shows them having nice reasonable temperatures then rain, here its just horrible baking heat for the next few days

Much prefer Autumn and winter

It wouldn't be so bad if I could sit in a pool/ paddling pool and read my book but having to work/ go to the yard is grim. The kitten is hot as well