Help! Hoover dryer doesnt dry.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I don’t use one either. Outside or on a clothes horse in the kitchen does the job for us.

If I had a clothes horse in the kitchen, it would get knocked over and over and over again by the dogs running through. The washing would nefver get dry because it would constantly be having to be rewashed.

teddypops

Visit site
If I had a clothes horse in the kitchen, it would get knocked over and over and over again by the dogs running through. The washing would nefver get dry because it would constantly be having to be rewashed.
I have it in the corner by the aga. Everything dries quickly!

Leandy

Visit site
Hmmm says the person who doesn't live in a wet county :D

I live in the UK albeit in the south and have never felt the need for a drier for a family of 4. Just seems an unnecessary expense to me and of course the drier takes up space in its own right. If I lived in a flat without outside space I might feel differently. But each to their own. I suspect it depends what you are used to.

D66

Visit site
We have one of these set up in the spare bedroom
https://www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry:Soon-3-Tier-Heated-Airer
When there's good drying weather and I'll be around to bring it in, the washing goes out on the line.
If weather looks dodgy it goes on the dryer and in the winter I turn the heat on.
We do have a tumble dryer but it takes forever and often wants the load rearranged.

I wouldnt be without the heated dryer.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I live in the UK albeit in the south and have never felt the need for a drier for a family of 4. Just seems an unnecessary expense to me and of course the drier takes up space in its own right. If I lived in a flat without outside space I might feel differently. But each to their own. I suspect it depends what you are used to.

Well I’m not getting into an argument about tumble dryers ?

But it is a rare day where I live that you could hang anything to dry outside.

People with big car ports get washing lines on wheels and do some drying undercover.

Me, I don’t have that and so I have a tumble dryer.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I can't be without a dryer. When we were waiting for the repair/sensor last week I had to air dry the bath towels and they weren't the same!

I don't mind line drying outside so much, but when it rains a lot, line drying inside isn't the same, but I do line dry a fair amount of my clothes.

I've already accepted that I am an environmental terrorist because I have a classic car, diesel car, and wash them in my driveway (a "no" here but I have the appropriate run-off drain)...and then there's the dryer.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
No extra floor space required if you stack the tumble drier on top of the washing machine, like we do. In fact we have to stack it, as there would be nowhere else to put it ?‍♀️.

We have a modest sized 4 bed house. Now that the lads have flown the nest we could set up an airer in one of the spare bedrooms, but that was not an option before.

Not all of us are blessed with large farmhouse kitchens/utility rooms or similar where you have the space to hang clothes up without crashing into them. Plus IMHO the smell of damp washing slowly drying on a line indoors is unpleasant.

Outside lines are grand when the weather plays ball, of course.

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
thank heavens that being of the older generation I have the experience and can cope without a drier. :D

and no I am not blessed with a large farmhouse kitchen and a 4 bedroomed house is way beyond my dreams. (not that I would want that large a house)

teddypops

Visit site
thank heavens that being of the older generation I have the experience and can cope without a drier. :D

and no I am not blessed with a large farmhouse kitchen and a 4 bedroomed house is way beyond my dreams. (not that I would want that large a house)
Same! We have a tiny little 2 bed house.

DirectorFury

Visit site
My house is damp enough without trying to dry washing in it, I suspect we'd be paddling around the ground floor after a winter of air drying clothes inside! And hanging washing out gives me the (totally irrational) rage, I loathe doing it.

No extra floor space required if you stack the tumble drier on top of the washing machine, like we do. In fact we have to, as there would be nowhere else to put it ?‍♀️.
Did you have to get a custom built cupboard or strengthened frame for this, TP? Our dryer is currently in the middle reception room/my office as there's no room for it in the kitchen, but stacking it with the washing machine would solve this issue.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
You can get dedicated stacking kits for most makes of washing machine and tumble dryer.

Our current ones are Miele, but previously we've had Hoover and then Hotpoints stacked together.

Neat little spot by the back door and the 35 year old oil fired boiler. There's not room in the kitchen.

It's a heat pump dryer, which is the most energy efficient version of tumble dryer.

683D8BE5-9547-49D1-A625-73126A4C6F6B.jpeg

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Not sure why this has become a tumble dryer ‘shaming’ post - I certainly love line dried washing. But needs must for some of us.

Incidentally my mum, who would be in her 80’s if she were still alive, was never without a tumble dryer during her married life. So being of an ‘older’ generation has nothing to do with it. It’s all about personal choice and convenience.

paddy555

Visit site
Not sure why this has become a tumble dryer ‘shaming’ post - I certainly love line dried washing. But needs must for some of us.

Incidentally my mum, who would be in her 80’s if she were still alive, was never without a tumble dryer during her married life. So being of an ‘older’ generation has nothing to do with it. It’s all about personal choice and convenience.

it hasn't. I just find it amusing that a drier is seen as such a necessity. :D Of course it's about personal choice. Most things are.

my mum who would be 98 if she was alive did have one for the last 10 years because there was already one in the bungalow they moved into. I just couldn't believe how long it took to dry clothes. She must have been equally frustrated as I think I was the only one who ever used it, once.

Genuine question, before we lived in a house (about 40 years ago) I took washing to the laundrette. Used their driers and in a VERY short time the clothes were dry. That was large mixed loads. So why do domestic tumble driers take so long?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
We had ours stacked at the last house (Siemens), and that worked quite well.

I long to have my own industrial washing machine for horse stuff.

J&S

Visit site
I do have a tumble dryer, as said before, a necessity for soft towels! however, since OH has installed one of those four rail hanging lines that you pull up by a rope pulley in the "conservatory" area between house and garage I don't need to use it the drier much at all. Out side drying was not an option as a washing line ruined the visual aspects of the pastiche of a Georgian house!!!!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
You can get dedicated stacking kits for most makes of washing machine and tumble dryer.

Our current ones are Miele, but previously we've had Hoover and then Hotpoints stacked together.

Neat little spot by the back door and the 35 year old oil fired boiler. There's not room in the kitchen.

It's a heat pump dryer, which is the most energy efficient version of tumble dryer.

View attachment 76980
I think that when our Laden tumble drier gives up the ghost, well look at those Miele dryers, and at the possibility of stacking the drier on our Miele washing machine.

Not only will it free up some for space, it means less bending double to load and unload the drier.

deb_l222

Visit site
I think the main issue might be that it is a hoover. They are one of the least reliable washing machines.(we did our research after purchase).I would imagine the driers are similar.

Yep, this ^^

Hoover are not a brilliant make, despite the fact you would assume they would be fantastic.

I had a similar drier, that was supposed to 'know' when my clothes were dry. It knew nothing of the sort!! I was quite relieved when it died after just 18 months.

I've now got a Indesit, with an on/off and a hot/not so hot and it's fab :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I used to have a tumble drier stacked on top of my wahsing machine in my 'utility' porch in my last , 2 bedroomed, house. This house has 4 bedrooms and still doesn't have space for a utility room, without buidling an extension, it all depends on the configuration of your house. We don't have central heating but I hated to have wet washing draped around radiators when I did. I do have one of the Lakeland heated airers but I use it only for delicate items that can't be tumbled, when the weather is too wet to hang clothes out.
And I should add that I am a couple of years older than Paddy 555, it's definitely not a generational thing - my parents also had a tumble drier for at least the last 40 yrs.

ETA, I do wonder how long some people hang their washing out for, if it's quicker than a tumble drier.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I find my cheap Beko washing machine does such a good job of spinning that sometimes I’m not sure if I’ve actually forgotten to start the wash cycle! I dry either on the line outside or on my two cat climbing frames in the spare room ?I forgot to add that I tastefully hang tops on hangers on doors to dry them. ?

My mum always had a dryer but my kitchen isn’t configured very well for that and I deemed a dishwasher more important to me. I do miss the way they fluff up towels and are good at removing hair and fluff. I think clothes generally last better if dried naturally though.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My house is damp enough without trying to dry washing in it,

I could dry washing in the house, I have tons of room. I would also have a thick coating of fetching black mould all over the walls and ceiling of my 140 year old house.

My niece lost her deposit on a rental property because she refused to stop drying washing on the radiators.

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
My dryer is necessity because I’m basically lazy ?. I have two dogs, a white one and a black one. OH and sons work clothes are navy blue and they both come in and fuss the dogs. I put hairy, oily clothes in the wash and they come out of the dryer hair free and crease free so I don’t have to iron either, just fold them and put away.

I can’t stand crispy clothes when they’ve been on the line.

teddypops

Visit site
My dryer is necessity because I’m basically lazy ?. I have two dogs, a white one and a black one. OH and sons work clothes are navy blue and they both come in and fuss the dogs. I put hairy, oily clothes in the wash and they come out of the dryer hair free and crease free so I don’t have to iron either, just fold them and put away.

Why are your clothes crispy? I’ve never had crispy clothes from drying outside and I fold them when I take them in, so no need to iron either.

Unicorn

Visit site

I seem to mostly get this with towels. I quite like it when they feel a bit crispy :)

OP, I think I have the same dryer as you. It's about 18 months old and it's absolutely dreadful. I can't even find a program that will consistently get things dry - they all seem to want a break after a while. I definitely should have done more research before I went shopping.

Andie02

Visit site
We had ours stacked at the last house (Siemens), and that worked quite well.

I long to have my own industrial washing machine for horse stuff.

You can also do large loads of your own washing in them, just put it on a hot wash empty after stinking hairy stuff, before washing your own stuff.