He's Giving Up and I'm so Angry With Him

Natch

Visit site
She was due to start a new job today I think, so probably got more important things to do than up date us (hopefully, anyway).

Fingers crossed.

PolarSkye

Visit site
. . . adding my thoughts to everyone else's . . . I know it sounds trite, but I really have been thinking about you both pretty much nonstop . . . wish there was something more practical I could do, though.

Take care.

P

Victoria25

Visit site
I know you probably have checked this but what are his teeth like? My friends horse had something majorly wrong with her teeth and hers lost all appetite etc – sounds very similar … worth a look if not done already?

Also second what someone said about calm and condition – my two love it and my fussy arse mare that would never eve r touch anything that had medicine in it would gobble this feed up even with two lots of medicine!! Must be tasty and its sloppy so could be easy for him to eat??!!! For £11 a bag, worth a try?? x

Last edited:

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Could you not syringe his bute/meds down him same as you would a wormer?

One of my mares had a milder episode like this and the vet gave her Myoplast (it looks like little ball bearings!) which altered her attitude to food completely, it helped a lot so might be worth an ask. If you have any local commons near you they might be worth foraging over for medicinal plants.

exracehorse

Visit site
Sorry if this has already been suggested or not something you want hear, but has the Vet mentioned grass sickness at all? You need to at least have an idea what he's fighting..
I'd suggest a second opinion, as it sounds as though things are getting desperate :(
Have a chat with these guys, and see if anything they suggest helps your boy? https://www.facebook.com/groups/219636401382141/
Hugs xx

I agree with the above. My Yard Owner's horse wasn't right for ages and the vets didn't know what it was, they thought colic. Was treated for colic Went to the local vets, didn't improve and was sent home, looking like a famine victim. Wouldn't eat, had no appetite, got lice, maggets under her tail, was dying really. Eventually, vets agreed that it was GRASS SICKNESS or SYMPTONS OF GRASS SICKNESS.

Vanner

Visit site
Don't come on the forum very often these days, but have today and just read about your plight ... I am sending you a great big hug and stand with tissues and a shoulder in case you need to have a good cry.

A little tip, that might just help .... maple syrup.

My old mare drove me to distraction by not taking her bute and acp tabs when she had laminitis. I tried everything! and pretty much did the same as you, ended up throwing the bucket across the stable and storming out crying like a big girlie. Frustration ain't a big enough word! Then my American buddy suggested mixing maple syrup into her feed with the medication, as this was what they did with one of their trail horses. Miracle!! She loved it, and scoffed the lot every time! the vet found it highly amusing that I was feed a sugery syrup to a laminetic, but was amazed at how well it worked!!

might be worth a try and sorry if someone has already given this tip as I didn't read all the comments ......

Cluny

Visit site
Really hope your boy is making improvements. Don't know if this iss any help, but a scientific study recently done, found very strong links between sycamore trees and atypical myopathy. Just wondering if you have any sycamore (or maples) around your field.

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
I have just followed your post and just wanted to say im thinking of you and i hope you're boy is showing signs of improvement. I cant imagine how hard it must be for you and i know i would feel just as you are if it were my boy..

Got everything crossed for you and i really hope you get to the bottom of it all..its crazy that the vets can't pin point what it is with him appearing to be so ill :(

jlh

Visit site
I have been checking this thread regularly hoping for some good news. Hope everything is going ok and your boy is improving.