HHO's "Bear" project pony...

McFluff

Visit site
He’s super smart. Looking forward to your journey with him. Thanks for sharing as it’s a privilege to see a partnership forming.

Northern

Visit site
Isn't he just great :D I wish we had more connies here over 15hh, have been searching for years but they are like hens teeth!

He's going to be so cool I think :)

Michen

Visit site
I’ll definitely measure him myself at some point as I really don’t think he seems bigger than Boggle but I do think Bog must be 15.1/15.2hh now...

Will be interesting to see how he feels when I’m on board!!!

Thanks everyone, so cool that his new life so far is totally documented on here from ooh isn’t he cute to actual photos on English soil! ?

AandK

Visit site
Oh he is super smart! You have a cracking little horse there, looking forward to following his progress with you!

Re the rain scald, if is no longer active (no scabs etc) then I would be tempted to leave it. Otherwise I have had great success treating mud fever with meddimud, it's an oily topical treatment, cleared my 7yo mud fever up with him living out and me slapping it on his muddy legs a few times a week.

Trouper

Visit site
For those of us who are too old to take on another, this is horse-ownership by proxy! Have been following your search for a pony thread but not commented as others on here have a far better eye than I do but it it so lovely that you have found him and that he has arrived. He seems to have a kind personality so over to you with the training now!!! If other options mentioned don't work for the rain scald, I have had success with Camrosa ointment for other persistent skin conditions/scarring. Perhaps a supplement to help from the inside too.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
As another who is too old to take on another I agree this is horse ownership by proxy. Very envious, he is lovely in every respect and his action loose made me want to get on and feel it for myself, not many I can say that about. Lovely trot but effortless canter too. My appaloosa stallion had that lovely easy canter, I used to watch him cantering across the field and just melt.

Michen

Visit site
Bog is furious at the lack of his name in this thread and would like to remind everyone that he is King of Hampshire and rules all Connemara's entering his land.

Also being immensely good three weeks of box rest in, even now for the hand walking (with aid of a chifney, wonderful bit of kit), doing carrot stretches daily and ensuring I keep him immaculately groomed and looking ready for Badminton.

978BC038-D8C8-4679-A75A-EF7CE4026732.jpeg

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
He looks super, agree with probably too cheap but someone has to get lucky now and again and if they were genuinely wanting him to go to a home rather than be passed on through dealers they may well have picked you to be the lucky one.
156cm is a bit over 15.1, not 15.3, or it in English ;) so with feet trimmed he is probably about 153/ 15 hands which is what he looks like, a proper overgrown pony at the moment that once finished will be a smart little horse.

Michen

Visit site
He looks super, agree with probably too cheap but someone has to get lucky now and again and if they were genuinely wanting him to go to a home rather than be passed on through dealers they may well have picked you to be the lucky one.
156cm is a bit over 15.1, not 15.3, or it in English ;) so with feet trimmed he is probably about 153/ 15 hands which is what he looks like, a proper overgrown pony at the moment that once finished will be a smart little horse.

Oh doh, I keyed in into google as a conversion and incorrect!! I did think it seemed excessive even with the hoof trim, so that makes more sensse.

Sorry YCBM looks like he won't be that 16hh rareity after all!!

Michen

Visit site
He’s lovely. Really smart.

My only reservation is that I know Connemara prices and he was suspiciously cheap. But if the seller seems genuine then you may have just got lucky!

I know connemara prices too, I did my research and looked at hundreds of adverts in the last few weeks. Literally hundreds. I recall you saying offer 3,000 euros (I paid 3,500 and he was asking 4,000) and get him, that he was cheap but not suspiciously so, it's only since I've posted more videos and pics that people seem to now think he was a good bargain. The seller is also a friend of a friend of a friend and has a good rep.

From the sellers POV, his fields are under water so he's stabled all day and the horse has only been back under saddle very briefly, he didn't really properly advertise (I think I actually found him through him replying on a wanted ad with a blurry pic, I can't remember) and got a buyer who didn't mess around and was willing to organise vetting within hours of seeing photos.

Of course maybe I'll unearth some problems but he's a baby, but we are basically treating him as unbacked anyway and in theory he hasn't really done enough to *have* a problem yet- but we will see.

I'm not suspicious whatsoever, I think it was a case of right place at right time and I have total faith in the seller (who, btw, said even now if he's not what I wanted or expected I can send him back)

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
No matter whether you have a good eye or not buying horses always come with an element of risk and pot luck .
Time will tell what you have , but he does look a super type . Plus you have the added the benefit that he’s hasn’t done much at all , so a nice fresh canvas . Youre clearly capable of dealing with a young un and have the right contacts / set up to help him progress. Good luck !

Michen

Visit site
No matter whether you have a good eye or not buying horses always come with an element of risk and pot luck .
Time will tell what you have , but he does look a super type . Plus you have the added the benefit that he’s hasn’t done much at all , so a nice fresh canvas . Youre clearly capable of dealing with a young un and have the right contacts / set up to help him progress. Good luck !

Thank you :)

Yes, very true. I’m really excited, I have realised now I can’t imagine ever not buying a baby as it’s this kind of thing that I find motivating and inspiring. Am a bit sad I’m not doing the initial work in some ways but I do think the two/three weeks Ridden livery is a sensible idea. There was not one bit of me that wanted to go and buy something established ready to take me around a BE90, even if I had a spare 10k to buy it.

I have a great support network and learned so much from Boggle, hopefully I’ll get it bang on right with Bear!!

Michen

Visit site
Bog Bog Bog Bog Bog Bog BOGGLE!!!! (I am team Boggle all the way,... we have our own pesky invading Connie here trying to steal the king connies crown, so I get how he feels!)

Here’s a cute video from the other day. Miley totally not sure she actually likes being groomed by Boggle but she does like to give him a good lick.

He is so gentle with dogs and especially her, she likes to share his breakfast with him and never have I seen him even flick an ear back! She sometimes jumps up at his nose to tell him off and he just ends up looking really sad.