HHO's "Bear" project pony...

Michen

Visit site
I was just going to say you clearly have a thing for animals that colour! ;)

Ha! Miley isn't mine, I look after her for big long chunks of the year (and have done for about 7 years now so utterly adore her) as her owners spend a lot of time in Australia and abroad in general.

I actually think bays are really boring but I love connies and they are far more practical than greys ;)

BBP

Visit site
Here’s a cute video from the other day. Miley totally not sure she actually likes being groomed by Boggle but she does like to give him a good lick.

He is so gentle with dogs and especially her, she likes to share his breakfast with him and never have I seen him even flick an ear back! She sometimes jumps up at his nose to tell him off and he just ends up looking really sad.

That’s so cute! BBP is exactly the same with dogs. He and I are both gutted that my dog doesn’t like horses.
(Successfully derailed thread from Bear to Bog).

J&S

Visit site
My ponies have always played "follow the dog" when they were young and when it was safe to hack out with dogs.

Michen

Visit site
I am going to enjoy following this thread.
I wanted to say how smart your premises are. I love the look of the stables and the indoor school has a lovely airy feel to it. If I kept my ponies there I would feel inspired to turn out only the best!

Ah that is just Bears schooling yard! It’s actually a professional showjumping yard, they’ve had Boggle in his younger days when I’ve been on holiday etc as well. Agree it’s absolutely beautiful am loving going there. It feels like a Spanish villa! Boggles/Bears next yard is amazing as well though :)

Last edited:

anyalouise

Visit site
He is smart! rain scald I had this with mine coming over from Ireland. I had a Scottish friend who told me to get Aromoheel. My horse was covered in it down to fetlock. It cleared it in 4 days. The vet was amazed. In Scotland everyone has a pot in their grooming kit!!

Abi90

Visit site
Michen. You have inspired me. I’m now saving up for an unbacked/just backed Irish baby over the next 6 months or so. Something not a full draught and a bit smaller than 16.3hh hopefully.

Im going to do it regardless of Rosie’s prognosis as I can afford 2 realistically if I wanted.

Michen

Visit site
Michen. You have inspired me. I’m now saving up for an unbacked/just backed Irish baby over the next 6 months or so. Something not a full draught and a bit smaller than 16.3hh hopefully.

Im going to do it regardless of Rosie’s prognosis as I can afford 2 realistically if I wanted.

Hehe well you are braver than me as my intention really isn’t to have two in proper ridden work under my full care long term!!

Abi90

Visit site
Hehe well you are braver than me as my intention really isn’t to have two in proper ridden work under my full care long term!!

You say that... tbh by the time I have saved up for a nice youngster Rosie may need to retire anyway. But I have contingencies, she’s basically like a baby at the moment anyway with getting her thinking forward.

Although interestingly I don’t think her saddle fits at all, despite having been checked so it could be that was the issue after all and we found the Pastern by mistake ?

Michen

Visit site
You say that... tbh by the time I have saved up for a nice youngster Rosie may need to retire anyway. But I have contingencies, she’s basically like a baby at the moment anyway with getting her thinking forward.

Although interestingly I don’t think her saddle fits at all, despite having been checked so it could be that was the issue after all and we found the Pastern by mistake ?

Don’t write her off in your mind just yet then, the pastern sounded like a good news scenario really compared to what you expected. If or when Rosie retires you may find Bear is looking for a loan home- you never know!

Michen

Visit site
To be fair I love them both ❤❤❤❤
I'm impressed with your taste in horses, and I don't think bays are boring...love a nice bay ?????

Did you see much of Basil before I lost him (broken leg in colic surgery recovery), he was also an absolute legend and got me hooked on connies. You’d have liked him too!

I see a lot of him in Bear. I thought Basil was ugly and boring when I got him and he became the most fun, awesome, smart little horse I could ever have wished for.

A terrible hunter though.. never did find a bit that could stop him over taking the master!

DB467C8A-C763-4F76-BEF7-D2AF3C9350D7.jpegF933C9EB-A2B0-4887-88C3-1873AE74874D.jpeg3C3CDD71-AE4C-4F8D-BDCB-F2C14C0DABAE.jpeg

Last edited:

Patterdale

Visit site
I know connemara prices too, I did my research and looked at hundreds of adverts in the last few weeks. Literally hundreds. I recall you saying offer 3,000 euros (I paid 3,500 and he was asking 4,000) and get him, that he was cheap but not suspiciously so, it's only since I've posted more videos and pics that people seem to now think he was a good bargain. The seller is also a friend of a friend of a friend and has a good rep.

From the sellers POV, his fields are under water so he's stabled all day and the horse has only been back under saddle very briefly, he didn't really properly advertise (I think I actually found him through him replying on a wanted ad with a blurry pic, I can't remember) and got a buyer who didn't mess around and was willing to organise vetting within hours of seeing photos.

Of course maybe I'll unearth some problems but he's a baby, but we are basically treating him as unbacked anyway and in theory he hasn't really done enough to *have* a problem yet- but we will see.

I'm not suspicious whatsoever, I think it was a case of right place at right time and I have total faith in the seller (who, btw, said even now if he's not what I wanted or expected I can send him back)

Sorry if that came across negative or critical, I didn’t mean that at all!

I thought he looked cheap for what he was from the pics and videos, but seeing your videos etc he’s serious quality. So now I think he was very cheap ? and on the haggling - even if they’d been asking £1.25 I’d still suggest offering 90p. ?

I think you’ve just been v lucky. This weather, I think there’ll have been a few bargains about. Can’t wait to see how he gets on :)

Lammy

Visit site
He’s a little ripper!
You’re going to have some serious fun with him and it’s great that the seller seems so lovely and genuine too.
Glad to see him on English soil! I hope Boggle isn’t too upset when he meets his new brother ?

Michen

Visit site
Yard was at an SJ comp today so enlisted help of Boggles sharer (now Bears!) and we did some desensitisation, tacked up, lay across patting all over etc. No shaking, barely a flinch and stayed relaxed most of the time. Walked him around a bit with me laying over him, we are literally treating him as unbacked. He also learned about the wash bay today so I can get him used to it to eventually give him a good bath at some point in the next couple of weeks!! He’s actually a very curious chap.

He is SO affectionate omg, and has totally latched on to me as his human, will follow me around and look for me even when I’m not his handler. And he only picks his feet up for me which is an honour ;)

Just a couple of photos of me whispering to him that it’s all going to be ok Bear and I promise you will love your new life! He gives the most amazing hugs and just wants you to hold his head all the time.

938A2962-53FE-4F70-A6E8-E566E4E62513.jpegA258968C-5FE9-45ED-B289-1E62D97B8A21.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
Sorry if that came across negative or critical, I didn’t mean that at all!

I thought he looked cheap for what he was from the pics and videos, but seeing your videos etc he’s serious quality. So now I think he was very cheap ? and on the haggling - even if they’d been asking £1.25 I’d still suggest offering 90p. ?

I think you’ve just been v lucky. This weather, I think there’ll have been a few bargains about. Can’t wait to see how he gets on :)

No issue, just feels a bit unfair to post suspicions of the seller, who in my opinion cares deeply about the pony he bred and perhaps recognised a straightforward and dedicated buyer when he saw one ;) So I probably feel a little defensive on his behalf!

Either way I am feeling super lucky and glad my instincts have (so far) proven time be good.

Xx

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Aww, glad he's settling. My connie does a good line in shaking like a leaf, but then becomes alright with whatever is bothering her just as quickly, she just seems to be very demonstrative with her feelings. She is also funny with strange people until she decides that they can be admitted into her circle of trust, and then she switches to being the cuddliest, most affectionate pony they've ever met ?

Glad Bog is also behaving himself ;), and looking as fabulous as ever. I look forward to seeing some ridden pics of Bear

Michen

Visit site
Aww, glad he's settling. My connie does a good line in shaking like a leaf, but then becomes alright with whatever is bothering her just as quickly, she just seems to be very demonstrative with her feelings. She is also funny with strange people until she decides that they can be admitted into her circle of trust, and then she switches to being the cuddliest, most affectionate pony they've ever met ?

Glad Bog is also behaving himself ;), and looking as fabulous as ever. I look forward to seeing some ridden pics of Bear

Ahh that’s interesting! Have never had one who shakes before (unless excited re hunting!).

Boggle looks like he’s just about to go eventing, three weeks in and he’s not put on an ounce of weight. He’s relaxed in his box but not eating a huge amount as ever.

Tomorrow is an exciting day as we increase to 10 min am and 10 min PM!!!!!

KEK

Visit site
He's totally gorgeous and I am looking forward to following your story together! Malachy is cuddly too and I love it :)
Do you have any tips on Connie mane and tail maintenance? Esp since Bog is so incredibly turned out, thought you might have a few! Malachys' are already pretty long .. and he's grey.. lol

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Ahh that’s interesting! Have never had one who shakes before (unless excited re hunting!).

Boggle looks like he’s just about to go eventing, three weeks in and he’s not put on an ounce of weight. He’s relaxed in his box but not eating a huge amount as ever.

Tomorrow is an exciting day as we increase to 10 min am and 10 min PM!!!!!

No me neither, it's an odd trait, particularly as she's so pragmatic about getting over scary things quickly ?‍♀️. She has a funny little personality - part my little pony, part native barbarian. I find it quite endearing ?

Michen

Visit site
He's totally gorgeous and I am looking forward to following your story together! Malachy is cuddly too and I love it :)
Do you have any tips on Connie mane and tail maintenance? Esp since Bog is so incredibly turned out, thought you might have a few! Malachys' are already pretty long .. and he's grey.. lol

Ummmm yes I do... pay someone else to do it ??? Honestly you’d laugh if you saw my real turnout, Be positive can testify that I tend to rock up to events with plaits everywhere and ponies with toilet brushes for tails..however always with a fit and well looking horse!

In all seriousness I battled for ages with Boggles mane and eventually paid someone to thin and pull it properly and then kept on top of it myself. Made it so much easier. I clip the tails (badly, they grow out to look fine enough pretty quick) and I also have fully clipped horses at all times for several reasons

a) I cannot stand beards, feathers etc from an aesthetics point of view despite being happy to rock up to events looking disheveled. It’s obviously totally incorrect to trim Connies the way I do but it’s what I prefer so I crack on with it!
B) I am really allergic to horses and absolutely can’t groom a horse that’s moulting anywhere. Makes me really uncomfortable and wheezy despite antihistamines.
Edited to add a c)
I actually find Connies grow quite a thick summer coat or at least Basil and Bog do/did, find its much nicer for them to be clipped and easier to keep them cool when they are working hard or it’s super hot.