Hit an all time low with my horse :(

Ellietotz

Visit site
I am just feeling so low.

I have completely lost my confidence and trust in her due to the spooking. After 5 years of owning her, this has always been a problem and it's never really been a comfortable ride though when we had a little gallop or canter, I could trust she wouldn't do anything stupid, not at least until we slowed up a bit that she'd start looking at things and come to a bouncing uncomfortable stop.

She used to go through phases of just shying from things to slamming on the brakes and spinning which were the worst and apparently this time, she prefers spooking this way at pretty much everything nowadays.

Since the beginning of the year when this type of spooking started again, a few occasions nearly had me off and since then, I just don't enjoy riding her as it has knocked my confidence. We only hack, she goes out fine on her own with no napping but she is scared of everything. Some days will be absolutely fine though, no spooking and other days, we are slamming on brakes and spinning at sticks and different coloured patches of grass.

This spinning doesn't just happen at walk and trot either, it can happen from canter to top speed which she has done.

I came off today as we were cantering up a hill, I saw the dog on the right so I was pulling up, she obviously didn't see it so she braked and span ending up facing back down the hill. I was basically off so managed to land on my feet and keep hold of her. She'd scared herself I think as she wanted to walk the rest of the way which was very unusual for her.

I just don't know what I am supposed to do now. She has too many issues to be sold and I love her so much. Realistically, I can't afford to buy another either. I can afford to keep another but the buying is the issue and I don't want a loan particularly.

I don't think a calmer would make any difference at this point, I have tried tonnes, she was doing it even when I was confident too and I used to just roll my eyes and carry on. I'm focused on riding her forwards, urging her on when I feel her hesitating at god knows what. I went out today feeling confident but ended up coming back feeling miserable again.

I just want to be able to get on and have a nice ride without worrying that she will spin. I don't trust her anymore.

The last few rides prior to today were actually okay, we were only doing short routes with limited option to what we could do and there was no spooking but I'm not sure I'd enjoy just sticking to this, I don't know. It could have also just been a one off but if not, that is probably the only option if I want to ride is to only pick easy limited routes. If we do this for a while spook free, would it give her confidence or am I just kidding myself?

Riding out in company makes no difference to the spooking really. She is a tiny bit better but it's still there.

I've tried desensitising in the school, she has no issues with this. Walking out in hand is also fine because she likes to follow people so she doesn't feel "on her own" as such.

She is 16 years old and Arab x TB x Warmblood.

Sorry for the whinge, I just need to get it off my chest.

Thank you if you got this far.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Is it worth getting a vet to check her eye site?

This has been done. Eyes are fine. She's had a full work up, regular physio and blood tests, liver tests and god knows what else.

Recently a brand new saddle too but previous one was also fitted by the same fitter. Her back has been in good shape so no discomfort or pain there. Only changed it to fit me better.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Yep, I agree. Check eyes and maybe scope for ulcers - my mare was spooky like this when her ulcers were at their worst.

She had ulcers a few years a go which were treated. She had another scope due to colic a couple of months a go and was clear of ulcers then too. Eyes were checked and all clear.

Last edited:

Ellietotz

Visit site
Does she truly enjoy hacking? Or would she like to do some other things like schooling, polework or jumping?

If she is a busy type then she might want to be challenged and worked.

Absolutely resents schooling except for lunging or free schooling for some reason. Hates being told what to do mainly.
She always has her ears forwards hacking and walks forwards off the leg with no issues at all. She gets wound up and stressy jumping.

Last edited:

SpeedyPony

Visit site
This might not be a good idea, depending on her personality, but could it be worth getting an extremely confident professional to hack her out in the spookiest situations they can find? Sometimes if you avoid the spooky things their comfort zone shrinks and they start getting wound about things they were previously fine with. Obviously this won't work if she's the type to hold on to stress and just get herself ever more panicky, but if she calms down fairly quickly extra exposure to really odd/busy situations might help her to be a bit more chilled with the things you are likely to meet on a normal hack.
Can you hack in company? If she's better with a lead it might be worth mostly going out with another horse or someone on the ground? Not always convenient, but possibly would help short term?

Ellietotz

Visit site
This might not be a good idea, depending on her personality, but could it be worth getting an extremely confident professional to hack her out in the spookiest situations they can find? Sometimes if you avoid the spooky things their comfort zone shrinks and they start getting wound about things they were previously fine with. Obviously this won't work if she's the type to hold on to stress and just get herself ever more panicky, but if she calms down fairly quickly extra exposure to really odd/busy situations might help her to be a bit more chilled with the things you are likely to meet on a normal hack.
Can you hack in company? If she's better with a lead it might be worth mostly going out with another horse or someone on the ground? Not always convenient, but possibly would help short term?

I could try that but I'm not sure it would change her. She doesn't calm down after a spook like that, the rest of the ride is pretty much hopeless once she's got knickers in a twist.
We are on the New Forest and she is scared of the other forest ponies, cows, sheep, pigs, pheasants, squirrels, mud, grass, puddles, gorse bushes, bracken, piles of poo, sticks, logs, pigs, dogs, dogs with sticks in their mouths, other walkers in the distance and anything else you can think of. All of which very unavoidable here but plenty of exposure to it every time.
For example, one log we walk passed every single time we ride is still scary. We have walked up to it with no issues. The annoying thing is, when she does shy at something and I walk her to it, she stands there with the expression as though she is saying "what are you doing mum? Why are we just stood here?" Like she hadn't just shied at it!
In company, she hates being behind but can't cope in front with her confidence. My relaxed hacking buddy is put off because of her antics currently and my other hacking buddies are too quick for my confidence at the moment. If I get someone on foot, she will literally follow them like a dog with her head nearly on their shoulder!

Flame_

Visit site
I am just feeling so low.

I have completely lost my confidence and trust in her due to the spooking. After 5 years of owning her, this has always been a problem and it's never really been a comfortable ride though when we had a little gallop or canter, I could trust she wouldn't do anything stupid, not at least until we slowed up a bit that she'd start looking at things and come to a bouncing uncomfortable stop.

She used to go through phases of just shying from things to slamming on the brakes and spinning which were the worst and apparently this time, she prefers spooking this way at pretty much everything nowadays.

Since the beginning of the year when this type of spooking started again, a few occasions nearly had me off and since then, I just don't enjoy riding her as it has knocked my confidence. We only hack, she goes out fine on her own with no napping but she is scared of everything. Some days will be absolutely fine though, no spooking and other days, we are slamming on brakes and spinning at sticks and different coloured patches of grass.

This spinning doesn't just happen at walk and trot either, it can happen from canter to top speed which she has done.

I came off today as we were cantering up a hill, I saw the dog on the right so I was pulling up, she obviously didn't see it so she braked and span ending up facing back down the hill. I was basically off so managed to land on my feet and keep hold of her. She'd scared herself I think as she wanted to walk the rest of the way which was very unusual for her.

I just don't know what I am supposed to do now.

I like cautious horses that aren't very bold. I'm not sure why but the horses I've gelled with best have all been super spooky, I think it's because the positive is that you never feel like they'll f-off with you!

You need to know you're not coming off whatever she does. Have you sorted the saddle? That's the main thing. Big, well positioned knee roles, not too flat a seat and grippy leather. Then you need full seat grippy tights/ breeches/ jods and a neck strap.

IIWY I'd slow down. Try to build up confidence to going faster again but you are more likely to be unseated the faster you're going if she does a sharp stop or spin.

Look ahead for anything you think could cause a reaction, but don't acknowledge it, look past it, kick on and brace yourself.

And ooze positivity - sing, chat, pat her, try and keep her feeling good and upbeat, once real negativity kicks in it spirals.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I can feel your frustration - you really have done your best to understand and help your mare.

You say she's not nappy, but honestly it sounds like that's exactly what she is. The stop and spin is a napping behaviour - she's implementing a behaviour as a distraction from something that she finds troubling, exactly the same as horses that stop and zone out.

I'm not sure if an established behaviour like that can be dramatically improved when it is a learned habit in a 16yo horse. However, if she was a young horse I would say that your best bet would be to get someone on board who has the confidence and sensitivity to be a bit stronger with her, without scaring her. She sounds quite insecure, and often horses like that need a slightly more directive approach from a rider.

Or as a left of field option, how about clicker training? If you could teach a really reliable 'stop still' command, you might be able to use it when she tenses to spook and it might just be enough to keep hold of her brain a little bit to allow her to process.

Ellietotz

Visit site
I like cautious horses that aren't very bold. I'm not sure why but the horses I've gelled with best have all been super spooky, I think it's because the positive is that you never feel like they'll f-off with you!

You need to know you're not coming off whatever she does. Have you sorted the saddle? That's the main thing. Big, well positioned knee roles, not too flat a seat and grippy leather. Then you need full seat grippy tights/ breeches/ jods and a neck strap.

IIWY I'd slow down. Try to build up confidence to going faster again but you are more likely to be unseated the faster you're going if she does a sharp stop or spin.

Look ahead for anything you think could cause a reaction, but don't acknowledge it, look past it, kick on and brace yourself.

And ooze positivity - sing, chat, pat her, try and keep her feeling good and upbeat, once real negativity kicks in it spirals.

Yeah she definitely wouldn't bog off with me.
I've stuck with that other saddle and I'm now comfortable in it. I think it's pretty grippy, knee rolls are soft and easy to bed in to.
I'm going to buy some "sock stop" to put grippy dots on my other jods. We have a neck strap too which I actually wasn't holding today when I came off. Sods law.
I chat to her the whole time, tell her about my week and reiterate that she is safe. I look ahead and try to keep her concentrating, click her on. Everything I did today was steady, in hind sight, I should have tried harder to stop before we got to the hidden dog.
I remember the time I used to be able to drop my contact and let her go for it!

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I could try that but I'm not sure it would change her. She doesn't calm down after a spook like that, the rest of the ride is pretty much hopeless once she's got knickers in a twist.
We are on the New Forest and she is scared of the other forest ponies, cows, sheep, pigs, pheasants, squirrels, mud, grass, puddles, gorse bushes, bracken, piles of poo, sticks, logs, pigs, dogs, dogs with sticks in their mouths, other walkers in the distance and anything else you can think of. All of which very unavoidable here but plenty of exposure to it every time.
For example, one log we walk passed every single time we ride is still scary. We have walked up to it with no issues. The annoying thing is, when she does shy at something and I walk her to it, she stands there with the expression as though she is saying "what are you doing mum? Why are we just stood here?" Like she hadn't just shied at it!
In company, she hates being behind but can't cope in front with her confidence. My relaxed hacking buddy is put off because of her antics currently and my other hacking buddies are too quick for my confidence at the moment. If I get someone on foot, she will literally follow them like a dog with her head nearly on their shoulder!
That's a bummer :( would she long rein? That way she has someone on the ground to give her confidence, but she still has to take the lead.

Ellietotz

Visit site
I can feel your frustration - you really have done your best to understand and help your mare.

You say she's not nappy, but honestly it sounds like that's exactly what she is. The stop and spin is a napping behaviour - she's implementing a behaviour as a distraction from something that she finds troubling, exactly the same as horses that stop and zone out.

I'm not sure if an established behaviour like that can be dramatically improved when it is a learned habit in a 16yo horse. However, if she was a young horse I would say that your best bet would be to get someone on board who has the confidence and sensitivity to be a bit stronger with her, without scaring her. She sounds quite insecure, and often horses like that need a slightly more directive approach from a rider.

Or as a left of field option, how about clicker training? If you could teach a really reliable 'stop still' command, you might be able to use it when she tenses to spook and it might just be enough to keep hold of her brain a little bit to allow her to process.

Yes, you are probably right, that is part of it. Heading home there are not many issues with spooking but it is because she is focused on the end goal.
Heading out, even though she is going forwards and wanting to go faster, she just doesn't concentrate and it is a nightmare. Trying to even trot her along in a straight line, she is so busy looking at absolutely everything else but what she is doing. I try to play with my reins, I urge her on but it's such hard work. In walk, she ends up tripping on things because she isn't looking ahead because someone is walking in the distance a mile a way or something silly.
She has always been like this and I've always just got on with it but I can't enjoy it now.
When she spins at something, she ends up facing away completely from said scary object and she does just stand there, she doesn't bolt or anything.
Any training I implement at home seems to have no effect when she is out on her own though I will look at clicker training.

PurBee

Visit site
I really feel for you. You’ve obviously trying hard to get to the bottom of the issue and hope that persistence pays off.

Just some options to consider:

ulcers: you got her scoped, but i read a while back, so memory sketchy, hopefully someone with more ulcer knowledge will chime in, but some some ulcers can be further along in the tube from stomach to small intestine, further than scoping equipment can reach to detect. Worth googling this further, and speaking to your vet about this possibility?

Try another rider who’s very confident with spooky horses: we can get into a ‘loop’ with our horses, they misbehave about something, so next time we wonder if theyll misbehave again, if they do, it cements more in our minds there’s a problem and we start expecting them to spook/misbehave. This expectation we hold about their behaviour can infuse the situation more so that forever more they behave as we expect.
I know how hard it is to just ‘forget’ the repeating issue. Yet it helps enormously not to project our expectations onto our horse, especially bad behaviour expectations, due to their past behaviour.

My gelding is an high/alert arabXwelsh D - i had a behaviour issue with him, and went the full loop of then expecting the behaviour and sure enough the behaviour continued. My stress increased also dealing with the issue, little by little, which he detected. Then 1 day i just approached it with a mindset of ‘he’ll be good and listen to me and the session will go well’ - it was a hope really...!....yet that session the issue was less. It was a light bulb moment for me, helping me realise my expectations of him always behaving a certain undesirable way, actually hindered him from behaving any other way.

I’ve tested this hypothesis with him a lot since. I can stand nearby him and spook him without moving physically or saying anything. I use my internal energy. I burst a quick ‘boo!’ Type feeling within me and he’ll spook. They sense energy extremely sensitively.
Another thing, he also does it back to me, he’ll be chilled out and then jog his whole body an inch all over, really fast ‘boo!’ Type movement, and it makes me jump within - this is on the ground with him - he reads my sudden energy spike and i havent quite figured out if he likes to do this to me for fun, or simply does it because he wants to shift my energy.

When at liberty and i want him to move, a similar communication is done, i ‘visualise and feel’ and wave of energy from me pushing him in the direction i want him to go. He moves according to this subtle cue.

So my point being that you on a hack are also looking for things she’s likely to spook at, due to previous behaviour - you’ll see a dog ahead, your micro expressions of internal energy and minite muscle tension will instantly be picked up. Just your minds recognition of a ‘potential’ spook object will have trained your whole body to automatically ‘brace’ for potential spook, which she’ll pick up. Especially any emotional feelings you suddenly have spotting the potential spook object.

So another rider, who hasnt got all the pre-conceptions about her behaviour, maybe will experience a different ride.
Its best not to implant into the new riders mind all the details of the specific things she spooks at, just tell them a very confident rider is needed for a spooky spin horse. Shes never bolted with you, reared, or spooked dangerously, so you arent knowingly placing them in danger.

Another aspect to consider: feeds. Is she experiencing hyper-ness due to a common ingredient? Its amazing the behaviour shift that occurs when the offending feed is taken out of the equation. Try stripping her diet back to high energy hay if shes in a lot of hacking work, or medium energy hay for maintenance , water, salt. Chaffs/grains, mineral imbalances can induce a spooky personality.
The neck-swinging spooks mine give me when just on a too high energy forage for their needs always surprises me, yet another reminder of their sensitivity.

If the above dont even touch the sides of the issue, and eyes/saddle/teeth/back etc have all been checked as youve said - i’d want head scans and back scans.

Especially as youve said she not equally chuffed about schooling/jumping and doesnt want to be told to do anything, yet loves people on the ground. She’s not spooky when people are off her back.
I’d keep medical issue currently unknown in the back of my mind to investigate if diet/another rider/ulcer treatment doesnt change her behaviour.

A poster here recently updated a year old thread about their horse with weird spooky behaviour, despite usual checks. Once scans were done, spinal issues were found aswell as nasal growths, after surgery, and now rehabbing the horse, the behaviour has subsided and progress is happening.
I add this for aiding widening the perspective on what could be wrong - it may be purely learnt behaviour, and she needs training out of it, as its become ‘habit’ to spook, so another rider as suggested, if they have a fairly spook-free ride, you know it’s behavioural and your confidence needs building up. I can completely understand why it would be affected, as you’ve been persisting with her for so long and tried so hard, despite confidence knocks. That takes courage.
Or if another rider has her spooking at everything too, you know the issue is probably feed or medical.

Work systematically through your options, and you’ll eventually find the root cause. Rarely do horses ‘choose’ to misbehave and is often a sign of something bothering them, from the subtle external influences to overt physical pain. It a challenge to find the cause, but you sound determined, and im sure You will get there.

In the meantime, It sounds like you need a really chilled-out horse to ride so it brings pleasure and confidence back into your riding. You say you’re not interested in loaning but could afford the upkeep of another horse? How about sharing? Do you have a yard pal who would appreciate a bit of financial help towards their horse you like, in exchange for riding?

Ellietotz

Visit site
I really feel for you. You’ve obviously trying hard to get to the bottom of the issue and hope that persistence pays off.

Just some options to consider:

ulcers: you got her scoped, but i read a while back, so memory sketchy, hopefully someone with more ulcer knowledge will chime in, but some some ulcers can be further along in the tube from stomach to small intestine, further than scoping equipment can reach to detect. Worth googling this further, and speaking to your vet about this possibility?

Try another rider who’s very confident with spooky horses: we can get into a ‘loop’ with our horses, they misbehave about something, so next time we wonder if theyll misbehave again, if they do, it cements more in our minds there’s a problem and we start expecting them to spook/misbehave. This expectation we hold about their behaviour can infuse the situation more so that forever more they behave as we expect.
I know how hard it is to just ‘forget’ the repeating issue. Yet it helps enormously not to project our expectations onto our horse, especially bad behaviour expectations, due to their past behaviour.

My gelding is an high/alert arabXwelsh D - i had a behaviour issue with him, and went the full loop of then expecting the behaviour and sure enough the behaviour continued. My stress increased also dealing with the issue, little by little, which he detected. Then 1 day i just approached it with a mindset of ‘he’ll be good and listen to me and the session will go well’ - it was a hope really...!....yet that session the issue was less. It was a light bulb moment for me, helping me realise my expectations of him always behaving a certain undesirable way, actually hindered him from behaving any other way.

I’ve tested this hypothesis with him a lot since. I can stand nearby him and spook him without moving physically or saying anything. I use my internal energy. I burst a quick ‘boo!’ Type feeling within me and he’ll spook. They sense energy extremely sensitively.
Another thing, he also does it back to me, he’ll be chilled out and then jog his whole body an inch all over, really fast ‘boo!’ Type movement, and it makes me jump within - this is on the ground with him - he reads my sudden energy spike and i havent quite figured out if he likes to do this to me for fun, or simply does it because he wants to shift my energy.

When at liberty and i want him to move, a similar communication is done, i ‘visualise and feel’ and wave of energy from me pushing him in the direction i want him to go. He moves according to this subtle cue.

So my point being that you on a hack are also looking for things she’s likely to spook at, due to previous behaviour - you’ll see a dog ahead, your micro expressions of internal energy and minite muscle tension will instantly be picked up. Just your minds recognition of a ‘potential’ spook object will have trained your whole body to automatically ‘brace’ for potential spook, which she’ll pick up. Especially any emotional feelings you suddenly have spotting the potential spook object.

So another rider, who hasnt got all the pre-conceptions about her behaviour, maybe will experience a different ride.
Its best not to implant into the new riders mind all the details of the specific things she spooks at, just tell them a very confident rider is needed for a spooky spin horse. Shes never bolted with you, reared, or spooked dangerously, so you arent knowingly placing them in danger.

Another aspect to consider: feeds. Is she experiencing hyper-ness due to a common ingredient? Its amazing the behaviour shift that occurs when the offending feed is taken out of the equation. Try stripping her diet back to high energy hay if shes in a lot of hacking work, or medium energy hay for maintenance , water, salt. Chaffs/grains, mineral imbalances can induce a spooky personality.
The neck-swinging spooks mine give me when just on a too high energy forage for their needs always surprises me, yet another reminder of their sensitivity.

If the above dont even touch the sides of the issue, and eyes/saddle/teeth/back etc have all been checked as youve said - i’d want head scans and back scans.

Especially as youve said she not equally chuffed about schooling/jumping and doesnt want to be told to do anything, yet loves people on the ground. She’s not spooky when people are off her back.
I’d keep medical issue currently unknown in the back of my mind to investigate if diet/another rider/ulcer treatment doesnt change her behaviour.

A poster here recently updated a year old thread about their horse with weird spooky behaviour, despite usual checks. Once scans were done, spinal issues were found aswell as nasal growths, after surgery, and now rehabbing the horse, the behaviour has subsided and progress is happening.
I add this for aiding widening the perspective on what could be wrong - it may be purely learnt behaviour, and she needs training out of it, as its become ‘habit’ to spook, so another rider as suggested, if they have a fairly spook-free ride, you know it’s behavioural and your confidence needs building up. I can completely understand why it would be affected, as you’ve been persisting with her for so long and tried so hard, despite confidence knocks. That takes courage.
Or if another rider has her spooking at everything too, you know the issue is probably feed or medical.

Work systematically through your options, and you’ll eventually find the root cause. Rarely do horses ‘choose’ to misbehave and is often a sign of something bothering them, from the subtle external influences to overt physical pain. It a challenge to find the cause, but you sound determined, and im sure You will get there.

In the meantime, It sounds like you need a really chilled-out horse to ride so it brings pleasure and confidence back into your riding. You say you’re not interested in loaning but could afford the upkeep of another horse? How about sharing? Do you have a yard pal who would appreciate a bit of financial help towards their horse you like, in exchange for riding?

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.
She's been on numerous digestive supplements and displays no other physical signs of ulcers.
I completely understand about the vibes I could be giving off and she is worse when she has made me nervous but it used to happen when I was completely confident and unfazed by her antics. Even when I'm thinking ahead, looking forward and riding on and mentally not focusing on anything else but forwards, it still happens.
My friend who is a confident rider has ridden her too with the same behaviour.
She is currently on half a cup each of speedibeet, copra and linseed with salt. I've tried her off everything too with no changes.
Her back has been xrayed, her hind limb suspensories have been scanned and legs also xrayed. Nothing of concern found. I don't think it is neurological. I mean it could be but I think it's just her and her breeding.
She is spooky in the field and in the school unridden too. Not all the time but she can easily be on edge if there are things going on.
The lady I share the yard with would definitely let me ride hers if I wanted to but it's weird because I don't really want to, I want to ride my own horse and just enjoy it. It's not just about riding for me, I want to spend time with her equally and have good times with her as sad as that may sound.

Laura Jenkins

Visit site
You may have already tried it but try giving her magnesium powder. I have a section D (and we all know what their like) shit himself at everything. Adding Magnesium to his feed did actually work just enough to steady him but not veg him out and loose his character. And it's not expensive give it time to work.

honetpot

Visit site
I used to have a mare which was a bit unpredictable, she would buck, and take off for no apparent reason, and some days she would wind her self up into a tis, but if you took her out a couple of hours later, she would have 'forgotten' the whole issue.
I found Mary Wanless, Ride With Your Mind, really useful in thinking what I was doing to affect her issues, and after using the ideas in it were very useful. I think it was her first book.She was never 100%, and she would develop another tic. I think some horses are just too stressed to be ridden and enjoy it. I now have another who is a bit odd, he has been like this since he was gelded, for no reason I can see apart from the fact it started after he was gelded.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
No other advice because you seem to have tried everything but I have a RStor which I used on my pony when he was a bit reactive and I had lost all my confidence on him. You keep hold of it all the times rather than trying to find a neck strap in a moment of panic. It saved me exiting on many occasions but I no longer use it as I regained my confidence and it is sitting in a grooming bag doing nothing. If you would like to borrow it PM me and I will send it to you. It just gives you a bit of an anchor when they go sideways at wharp speed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This is the mare who is pretty wonky and has had a number of physical issues? IIRC you have spent a lot of time and effort in trying to get her sound and comfortable, but IMHO she is telling you that being ridden hurts.

She's had enough. This isn't a schooling or rider confidence issue.

Time to retire her.

ETA I've just checked back to make sure I was thinking of the same poster. This 16yo mare really has had a number of on going issues. Honestly, please stop riding her, or you will get badly hurt.

Last edited:

Muddywellies

Visit site
Yep, I agree. Check eyes and maybe scope for ulcers - my mare was spooky like this when her ulcers were at their worst.
Mine too! My first port of call would be a gastroscope. Not overly expensive, instant results, and if it's not ulcers, at lest you've discounted it. Once all other physical issues have been sorted, then you need an understanding instructor and /or a pro rider who'll work with you through this.

Spirit2021

Visit site
Didn’t you say this horse has a lot of physical issues and you struggle to make her sound . Spooking can be caused by pain maybe time to retire her as tiddlypom said. I has a loan horse in the past she was acting like turn out the pain was stressing the horse out.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I would agree with scoping- all of the horses I’ve had with ulcers have been particularly spooky at times. Current horse (in profile pic) has had exhaustive ulcer treatment- my vet now thinks his ulcers are due to an underlying blood flow issue to his stomach, rather than pain elsewhere (he’s had lots of investigations). It explains why he’s always been a bit Jeckyll and Hyde. He’s immeasurably better on Gastrokind supplement as recommended by the vet.

canteron

Visit site
Lots of good advice above.

Jenku does a series called Scatterproof, which I found interesting as it teaches you to reward those moments of calmness when spook training.

But also maybe invest in an air jacket!! I have found it takes away some of the falling off fear which helps!

Reacher

Visit site
Very sorry you are having so many problems- it sounds really demoralising. I was going to suggest you have 2 choices - either retire or go down the re- schooling route. I am currently half way though a book called ‘horse brain human brain’ which might be helpful. (Actually I think it would be interesting to most horse owners).

However I’ve just seen @Tiddlypom ‘s post 23 - I haven’t seen your previous posts regarding her physical issues which sound like a factor

This is the book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Horse-Brain-Human-Neuroscience-Horsemanship/dp/1570769486

Last edited:

Elno

Visit site
Micklem does a breast plate with a strap over the wither. It's amazing because it's positioned almost exactly where your hands are so easy to grab without losing your balance. I also would recommend Acavallo gel out seat saver for sitting out spooks.

meleeka

Visit site
Firstly have a cyber hug (()). You say she’s ok with a foot soldier so I’d probably go back to that if your confidence has taken a battering. I read something a while ago that people who have anxiety when riding, generally have anxiety in other areas of life too. You used to be confident, so has anything changed away from riding that has left you less able to cope with her dramatics?

On a practical note, I used to find it helpful to change pace often and have targets, so things like “I’ll trot for 10 strides, then walk for 10” or “I’ll extend the walk until that tree up ahead”. It just gives you something to focus on and both your brains busy.

I also rode with a Cavello Gel Out seat saver. It gave me confidence that I could stay on. My horse (now retired) was good as gold most of the time and seemed to wait until I was relaxed and not paying attention before he’d chuck in a spin, so it caught me unaware every time! He was insecure and he needed his rider to be a proper leader, then he felt much safer.