Horse economy shrinking?

Orangehorse

Visit site
My OH was talking to a local farmer who has a livery yard. He is not at all interested in horses as such, it is just a means of extra income for him. He told OH that most of his customers are older ladies, 40,50, 60 and everyone of them has told him that if and when their horse goes for whatever reason, they won't be having another. He also noted that there are no younger people coming onto the yard so he is facing the dilema of what will happen to his yard. I haven't seen it, I don't know what the facilities are like but it is on the edge of a large urban area and I think the hacking is OK. He also says that he was really surprised when he first opened the yard that actually most of the owners don't ride very much.

Is this the same everywhere?

Mrs B

Visit site
My farrier has noticed the same thing. (Devon/Dorset/Somerset). Didn't mention age groups but did say that for a while now, when his customers lose a horse for whatever reason, they are often not replacing with another one.

dixie

Visit site
Can’t say I’ve noticed as such. However I’m 52 and have recently noticed that I’m still competing against the same people that I was about 20yrs ago. The only youngsters seem to be those with loaded parents, swanky horse boxes, expensive horses etc. There’s not so much one horse owners doing it on a shoe string or even just for a fun day out - it’s much too serious now.

Follysmum

Visit site
Most of my friends have not got anymore horses after they lost theirs. One friend had just been given a horse on loan after a 12 yr break though so will be nice for us to ride again.

Rusty Rider

Visit site
I think the younger generation just can’t afford it... I have a swanky professional job, relatively well paid, but between the loan repayments for the years of studying it took me to get there, and the time demands of the job, I just can’t afford the time/money for my own horse. My teenage sister has two excellent event horses, because my parents can afford it, and she can easily fit them around school. I suspect things will be different in a few years for her sadly...

catkin

Visit site
I'm one of the old fossils that's downsizing.
In my case it's literally that - no more horses alongside the ponies - and the ponies are getting smaller, 13.2 not 14.2! Also the sheer physicality of the work takes its toll - after 50 odd years of riding I've got broken bits and achey bits.

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
I’ve noticed that the expensive full livery yards near me that generally used to have waiting lists usually have at least one empty stable now.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We are part of he downsizing too, we have been here for 25 years and until last year always had a minimum of four horses. After we lost two oldies the winter before last, we have stuck with two and intend to not add any more. There also seem to be fewer tack shops locally as well.

Melody Grey

Visit site
There seem to be plenty of younger riders around my area, encouraged by their parents. Obviously there are a few really well to do folk, but most of us are on DIY livery/ renting a field and on a shoe-string here in the National Forest....and I wouldn't have it any other way!!

be positive

Visit site
My OH was talking to a local farmer who has a livery yard. He is not at all interested in horses as such, it is just a means of extra income for him. He told OH that most of his customers are older ladies, 40,50, 60 and everyone of them has told him that if and when their horse goes for whatever reason, they won't be having another. He also noted that there are no younger people coming onto the yard so he is facing the dilema of what will happen to his yard. I haven't seen it, I don't know what the facilities are like but it is on the edge of a large urban area and I think the hacking is OK. He also says that he was really surprised when he first opened the yard that actually most of the owners don't ride very much.

Is this the same everywhere?

It may be that his lack of interest and knowledge means the yard is not being kept up to date, no extras are offered such as lessons on site, improved facilities access to good hacking is unlikely to appeal to youngsters and they do tend to stick to yards with a similar age group or interests.

I have 2 liveries in their 20's, a pony shared by 2 sisters of 11 and 8, 3 horses coming in soon owned by a keen dressage rider and have just helped a client buy a pony for her son that makes her the owner of 5 with plans to get out competing with the 2 in work, I get involved with my clients and have usually had a steady stream of young riders come onto the yard although they often give up when they go to uni, I have had very few people livery here who do not ride regularly and most compete a couple of times each month.

honetpot

Visit site
Its not we are just getting older, I have owned my own horse since I was 21, but going back to the thread about competition costs every costs so much more, than 10 years ago. I have gone through the stage with two children where we went out once a week for something and took at least two ponies, to trying to work up enough enthusiam to even tidy a mane. People hack less because the roads are so bad and they just haven't got time to either box up or hack for an hour or more because everyone works.
There will always be people some people who do it on a shoe string, but changes in the driving laws have made that harder and at the top end if you are a DINC or have parents to back you its serious money and it will probabely go on. The middle were farmers diversified with a few stables and paddocks with little else will get smaller, unless they get cheaper, or unless they have off road hacking. Farmers will probabley find something that is less hassle to do.
Most older riders keep their horses for life, often 20+ years so taking on another when your past 50 is a big commitment.

JJS

Visit site
I can only speak for 20-somethings, but I suspect long hours working culture and having less disposable income have a lot to do with it. People struggle to fit in owning a horse around an 8.30-5.30 (and being honest, I know many who end up staying back an hour to two hours extra every day), but they can’t afford full or part livery to balance that out. That was a big part of me going freelance five years ago - I just couldn’t find a way to balance the two.

Also, I think that good liveries with ample turnout are disappearing at a rapid rate due to land being bought up for development, and that a lot of people are struggling to find somewhere that accommodates their view of how horses should be kept as a result.

asmp

Visit site
I wonder if it is less young people becoming interested in horses in the first place due to lack of riding facilities. I can think of 4 riding stables within a couple of miles of my house that existed when I was a kid that are no more.

Good point. Recently two out of the three near me have closed (although the one did retire). I have no idea how much it costs for a child to learn these days - is it more expensive than it used to be 20 years ago when my daughter had lessons?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Its the opposite here. I am surrounded by teenagers with their first horses! There is also a shortage of livery yard spaces. Although I have noticed the full livery yards are always advertising, but I'm not sure if thats always been the case or not.

Bernster

Visit site

ihatework

Visit site
I’m not sure if it’s shrinking but it’s definitely changing.

There is a noticeable decline I think in mid budget livery yards, pressures on land, rising costs, declining state of repair etc - people understandably can’t make it pay.

Amateur competition has got far more serious, with the money spent on it rising hugely.

I think what I am seeing is a trend towards the middle market re-evaluating. I know I certainly am.

catkin

Visit site
I’m not sure if it’s shrinking but it’s definitely changing.

There is a noticeable decline I think in mid budget livery yards, pressures on land, rising costs, declining state of repair etc - people understandably can’t make it pay.

Amateur competition has got far more serious, with the money spent on it rising hugely.

I think what I am seeing is a trend towards the middle market re-evaluating. I know I certainly am.

I have certainly re-evaluated what I am doing with my horses and where I am spending my equestrian-pound ('services' such as lessons and physio yes; new equipment and competitions no).

Whether it is just age I don't know or that I've been kicking around horses a while now and have had opportunities to Do Stuff so quite a few of the horsey goals on a bucket-list are done.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
There are certainly less Riding stables and livery yards around here... I've had people turning up asking if I do livery.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I think the decline in safe hacking is definitely changing the horse owner community and the yards that are desireable to keep horses on. Even someone like me who likes hacking on the lanes and has solid road hacking horses, is only really hacking on road at times that I know it will be quiet these days.

So I think people who mainly hacked and used to go to the comps/shows for a nice day out are dwindling. And this is making the local competition environment more competitive and serious than it has been in decades gone by.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Good point! When I was a child there were 7 good RS within easy travelling distance of my home - and a few more 'casual' arrangements.

Now, they have all either closed completely or only provide livery services. There are 3 new RS which have been set up by well-off parents for their daughters to run but they are definitely not of the standard that used to be commonly available.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I have two field sloths, and I'm torn between stopping horses entirely when they pop their clogs, or buying myself a nice riding horse.

I think livery yards can be a miserable experience these days. Gone are the days when whole yards would look after each others' horses - and have group expeditions to Blair, or Badminton. Now people behave appallingly selfishly, steal hay, steal shavings, and think they have got one over on you if you help them out when asked. And don't ever think about asking for help in return.

When did the world change so that being selfish, and taking all the time without ever giving back became a badge of honour?

windand rain

Visit site
Lack of interest in my view there are very few kids hanging over the fence just dreaming about sitting on a horse now. Many are after instant gratification or will spend hours on phones or tablets. Many do not like the dirty things as they have been brought up clean (and sickly) Many are fearful as they are brought up fearing the boogey man so dont like leaving the yard.
In the positive the ones that do seem to stick with it. Horse keeping is relatively cheap compared to Lessons etc Horse persons are not passing on knowledge because attitudes have changed and advice is sought from IT rather than knowledgable people but at least it is possible to find out almost anything with a little effort
I do think cost of lessons has a lot to do with it as it is difficult to learn the basics without it breaking the bank. Parents are busier too so dont have the time to fit lessons and the actual daydreaming into their lives. Horse loving is and should always be fun first and foremost but you have to get dirty to really enjoy it

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have time and space for a riding horse but with a big family i simply can't justify the purchase price of several thousand pounds so I'm just riding the girls ponies every now and then.

Plus as others have said, the lack of decent off road hacking is making it much less enjoyable.

Polos

Visit site
I am in my mid 20’s and a recent graduate. Up until now I have been very fortunate that my parents have funded my competing. However, it can’t carry on forever. I have been looking and applying for jobs for a month now and due to living in quite an expensive area I can’t really ever see myself moving out as I’m not sure I will ever earn enough. Starting salary for the job I am looking to get into is definitely not going to cover commuting and the costs of a horse. Due to presumably working 9-5 a 1.5 hr commute away my horse will have to be kept on full or competition livery which is going to cost more than what I will have left after travel costs so I’m not sure how to juggle it to be honest.

The only way I can see myself being able to move out is if I move a few hours away to a much cheaper area but I won’t be able to afford a house and a horse. So I basically can’t afford both as everything is just too expensive now

TPO

Visit site
I dont think theres a straightforward answer.

The decline in RS must be a factor but that must partly be attributed to increasing insurance costs. They've increased because "these days" people look to place blame and feel that they should be compensated. Back in my day if you fell off a horse you got back on it or you went to hospital and didnt look to sue.

The changing attitudes to risk will be a factor too. I'd climb on any horse and while I completely agree with wearing hats I do have good memories of catering around the field with only a headcollar. I'm super aware of risk too, my niece (12) and nephew (9) are only 3 walk/trot half hour lessons in and there is talk of "needing" body protectors. All the other kids are kitted out in them too. They just weren't a thing in my day and they add to the expense of going for lessons.

I have limited exposure to kids but from what I gather from parents at work and my relatives kids are addicted to phones/iPads. Going outside isnt really a thing when theres YouTube to watch and co.puter games to play (or watch other people playing in youtube??).

As houses take over every green spot of land kids no longer have "the farm down the road" or fields of horses nearby to spark that interest?

The same houses have an effect on yards. I know one yard going for houses and owners are taking down a stone barn to put up to houses. A certain number of people will be told to leave the yard as the stables come down.

Turnout is a joke in some places. YO dont seem to put the money into grass management and know diddly squat about it. I've seen good pasture ruined because it's been neglected and overgrazed for 20yrs and surprise surprise it sropped growing back...now it's a thun covering and mainly weeds, docks and buttercups.

Over horses land is a real issue as some yards squeeze people into every available nook and cranny meaning the grazing suffers.

Livery yards on the whole tend not to be a pleasant experience. While yards can still be filled with ignorant owners YOs aren't going to make any changes. People also seem reluctant to pay. They dont grasp the cost of proper field management, fencing, surface maintenance etc which is why the cheap yards are full.

There seems to be a lot of focus on "doing it for the 'gram" and I think the pressure of having it all means horses are out of the question when trying to uphold the image of a perfect life. Holidays, designer clothes and filters seem to have won over the graft that goes with having horses?

I think within the horse world there are pressures that weren't there before. Excluding the stresses of livery yards there are external pressures that you must have the right tack/matchy matchy/brands/latest bridle etc and you cant participate without them. I know those with sensible heads say as long as it fits and is in good order and safe but there is a lot of money spend on marketing to say that isnt so. You're a bad owner with an uncomfortable horse is you dont buy X, Y and Z.

I can see how it's easy just to say enough is enough and there will be no more after current horse goes....

hollyandivy123

Visit site
I’ve noticed that the expensive full livery yards near me that generally used to have waiting lists usually have at least one empty stable now.
same here

at the end of the day a lot of peoples disposable income has shrunk as everything has gone up, a couple of yards near me have increased their charges as their costs have increased, this has ended up with long standing liveries moving as their disposable income doesn't allow them to stay and now empty boxes which they can't fill.

i think over the next few years a balancing act between what a livery yard can charge and what people can afford to pay will happen and there will be fewer horses. i'm not talking the top end that cater for the 5* owner and rider but the high end of the middle of the road yards, the full livery which around the 800-1000 per month type.

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
I have eight, and I can not remeber the last time I bought anything apart from food and electric fencing, for the last three years, I have everything x5 and some besides.
In the effort to make money in a shrinking economy, more gimmicks are being sold, in training and equipment which in the long term is at dubious benifit to the long term welfare of the horse.
In my reseach inlooking at how the BHS is being run, their target market for exams, is female and under 25, which is OK if they are going to make a living from it, but unless they are freelance,the chances of getting good job on a yard are getting smaller.
When I was younger with no money I managed to work/ride for free, and when my kids were young we shared ponies with children who didn't have their own pony, even taking them to PC. I quickly found out most parents think they are doing you the favour and they would rather pay a riding school and the insurance aspects have really made it a risk most people do not want to take.