Horse had rotational fall with daughter today, opinions please .

LaurenBay

Visit site
My greenish mare came to me last February , she was 6 prob just backed, had 4 foals, I hacked her out and hunted her, she tripped loads , including face planting the Tarmac and grazing her nose, physio said her pelvis was uneven and she needs to build the correct muscles in her rear, her right hind is weak , squared off toe etc. Season of hunting, rolled toes n good saddle fitting and tripping a thing of the past really. Foxy is a 14.1 coloured cob and unschooled, finds the left rein difficult physio recommended Pessoa work and schooling to work her ample bottom , I haven't used a Pessoa on her, but have lunged her lightly, she was great on right rein but very naughty on left as she finds it hard, so I am having lessons on her instead and my instructor is helping strengthen her weaknesses .
foxy can jump s solid jump out hunting , but working in the school over coloured jumps/ poles etc very hard for her and she demolishes them.
She's had the summer off and been brought back into work and to be fair has done an excessive amount of work this last 2 weeks......
She's relatively fit but not super hunting fit yet...went for a
1)4 mile exercise hack, half trot and half walking, she was super duper fiery and up for it, no tripping.

2)next day an hours lesson in walk and trot, just working in straightness.

3) 2 days later she went for a 9 mile ride and about 4 miles from home she slammed the ground on her side, my daughter was behind and said she watched her back legs slip to the left on a shiny Tarmac and front legs went same way, these things happen, was bad fall but horse slipped up, trotting short bursts on way home she not lifting her right hind fully for road clearance, call physio.

4) next day bring her out of field, trot her up, everything back to normal, must just have been tightness and that's her weak leg.

5) 3 days later ... 15 mile Funride, no tripping but last mile that leg got tired again

6) 4 days later ( today) trip to Exmoor so 50 mins in trailer then 15 miles of all down hill in walk, horse absolutely full of it, long climb up to moor , and mile walking on flat then canter with my 14 yr old daughter on board, flat even ground good going, suddenly see horse face plant the ground and up and over in a head stand, miraculously both fine if not a little stunned and confidence a bit rock bottom for mare and daughter .

This kind if mileage is not uncommon for her, she's a fit hunt horse, not overweight , looks like a little rhino, almost muscle bound to look at .... Am going to get physio out to see if she injured herself in first fall, we are assuming she tripped today but daughter unsure as was so fast, will get vet too.

This mare has fine from severely underweight to fit in 2 yrs, she was in a bad way and obviously still mega unschooled, my gut feeling is she is tired and shoes due next week, so long in the toe and unbalanced.

I guess it could be neurological or other problems and it's all guesswork until the professionals have been buthas anyone had any experience of a horse tripping. In canter and going over like that?

Obviously she's going to be on 24 hr turnout and rested until she's seen.

Thanks for reading !!

My mare had a similar problem. Weak behind and favoured one rein and completely green. 3 months into owning her, she fell over twice when picking her feet out, I had vet out who suspected a neurological problem. Vet quickly changed her mind and told me to get physio. Physio came, told me I could only hack in hand for 3 months to build her up. Then I introduced light schooling and trotting hacks. 3 years on and I now have a Horse who picks up her feet, is in medium work, jumping brilliantly, coming on in her schooling (although still favours 1 rein more, but she is getting there). Like yours, she would play up on one rein as she found it difficult, now she doesn't as finds it easier. My pyhsio gave me some exercises which you might find useful.

Try to do as much hill work as you can, zig zag up and down to make sure your Horse is working evenly.
Raised poles.
Carrot stretches to keep the Horse supple.
Tail pulls to the weaker side.

IMO you are working your Horse to hard. I would be getting a full vet workup, find out what the issue is and then work out a fitness plan for your Horse.

Good luck.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Mine had a chronic tripping problem when young, it got to the stage when I was considering not riding him again after going over his head a few times. A good way to break my neck, I thought. It was cured by (yet another) chiropractor, just chance that I happened to get in contact with him after trying about 3 previously who had made no difference, plus lots of other people, all of whom helped a bit, but not a cure. Stiff in the back. He also has one weaker hind leg, so I have to watch how I build up his strength and fitness because if I do too much too soon it shows up and he has to be rested to recover.

I think you are doing too much work too. Agree with the above exercises, I found that shoulder-in helps a lot, but you need a vet/physio to give you a plan of work.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Thought I would give you an update if anyone interested.....
Vet just been, foxy is clipping both her back hinds in trot , we are a week post fall, and she's not too great in stretching to her side and between her legs, she's been on full field rest and bute.
His views are when she fell on the road with me originally she hurt her neck, like you or I would if we had a big fall, he also said horses can just completely slip up like that, they have no choice if he the road surface is that terrible!
He did a full flexion test in her and he's sound.
Pelvis is even, muscles are even and well formed, he doesn't agree with the physio saying she's has the wrong muscles he said shes a cob not a Grand Prix dressage horse.... Also doesn't want me working her in a Pessoa and getting her hocks in underneath her as it's not natural for her and totally pointless, and again if the mare can't run around on the lunge on her own we can't expect her to do it on the lunge, these things should happen over time.
Her stifles are good.
Ideally he would like her in a horse walker for 20 mins a day for 6 weeks, but as I don't have one, then I can long rein her, or lead her out from my big horse, or my lightweight daughter can ride her out on the buckle for 20 mins in
walk.
Said she doesn't worry him in the slightest and I shouldn't be disheartened, I said I think I did too much work with her and he disagreed, said she looks fit and the fact she was still very strong and up for it after 15 miles shows her exercise limits were well within her capabilities, obviously was too much with the injury tho!
All in all I am very pleased with her prognosis .

Last edited:

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
What a shame. I hope your daughter & the horse are ok OP. My horse is fully sound but she's terrible for slipping on smooth surfaces (more slipping with back end than full on tripping) but it usually happens in walk/trot if she's ambling along & not working properly. Like yours, mine has rolled toes, the farrier keeps her feet quite short & she has natural balance shoes without toe clips. When hacking I always avoid routes with slippery downhill surfaces! I would definitely have the vet have a look to make sure there's nothing more sinister- best wishes:)

julie111

Visit site
I'm sorry, but that really is the biggest load of codswallop I have read in a long time. Your physio recommended you use a pessoa to build her up because she isn't strong enough to jump, yet you are taking her on 15 mile rides? And, despite your physio saying what you need to do, you have rubbished it, and decided that 'it isn't going to work' and 'you aren't going to put pressure on her like that'?? Yet, you take her on 15 mile hacks knowing her weak leg as you describe it is struggling? And any vet who says you can do what work you like with her, because it's almost impossible to over work a 7 year old needs striking off I'm afraid.

Absolutely incredible.

I'm afraid I have to agree with this! I have only read a handful of replies but I am astonished at your attitude to the amount of work she is expected to do when she is clearly not sound!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I have just posted re her check up today! I am not interested in anyone's opinions other than my vets who has just spent 90 mins with me giving her a comprehensive work up .
Snowflakes, thanks ... She literally body slammed the road, hinds went in under and we hit the deck hard, I wouldn't have worked her had I realised she was injured, but hey oh we live and learn.
I've only posted again today as I promised some people a progress reports as they were worried.. Thanks

Casey76

Visit site
Thought I would give you an update if anyone interested.....
Also doesn't want me working her in a Pessoa and getting her hocks in underneath her as it's not natural for her and totally pointless,

Absolute codswallop.

She will do more damage to herself if allowed to go around trailing her legs in the next county; the whole point of dressage/schooling is so that a horse can bring their hocks underneath themselves so that they can correctly support a rider.

You don't need to lunge in a pessoa, but you do have to school on the lunge to get them to move properly, otherwise all they are doing is running around all strung out, building the wrong muscles.

In a horse which is lazy in its action, it most definitely should be schooled in how to move correctly, a body wrap or figure 8 can help with proprioception, but in the end it's all about them picking up their feet and getting their hocks underneath themselves.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
What a shame. I hope your daughter & the horse are ok OP. My horse is fully sound but she's terrible for slipping on smooth surfaces (more slipping with back end than full on tripping) but it usually happens in walk/trot if she's ambling along & not working properly. Like yours, mine has rolled toes, the farrier keeps her feet quite short & she has natural balance shoes without toe clips. When hacking I always avoid routes with slippery downhill surfaces! I would definitely have the vet have a look to make sure there's nothing more sinister- best wishes:)

Absolute codswallop.

She will do more damage to herself if allowed to go around trailing her legs in the next county; the whole point of dressage/schooling is so that a horse can bring their hocks underneath themselves so that they can correctly support a rider.

You don't need to lunge in a pessoa, but you do have to school on the lunge to get them to move properly, otherwise all they are doing is running around all strung out, building the wrong muscles.

In a horse which is lazy in its action, it most definitely should be schooled in how to move correctly, a body wrap or figure 8 can help with proprioception, but in the end it's all about them picking up their feet and getting their hocks underneath themselves.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply casey

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks for the update.

I thought you were very pleased previously that your vet and physio were working together. I'd be tempted to get a 2nd opinion as these 2 now seem to be diametrically opposed to each other.

I hope the horse is ok. How is daughter?

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Thanks for the update.

I thought you were very pleased previously that your vet and physio were working together. I'd be tempted to get a 2nd opinion as these 2 now seem to be diametrically opposed to each other.

I hope the horse is ok. How is daughter?

Thanks Pearl, I am very happy with my vet, always have been happy with him, he's a great horse vet and used by many top riders, I am just a lil hunter, but he has all the time in he the world for you and is very thorough. Daughter is absolutely fine thanks. I was so scared when he was doing his tests, and couodnt even breathe when I was trotting her up, she has a high action anyway, being welshy x, it's sad seeing her a bit bashed up, she can have all the time in the world she's very special .

Pigeon

Visit site
I know sometimes hunters do not get schooled. At all. So I don't find this hugely surprising!! I agree, vet, pronto - but it could easily be general stiffness, in which case you need to be stricter about the physio, pessoa, and gradual strengthening. Just a thought? Does your saddle fit?

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I know sometimes hunters do not get schooled. At all. So I don't find this hugely surprising!! I agree, vet, pronto - but it could easily be general stiffness, in which case you need to be stricter about the physio, pessoa, and gradual strengthening. Just a thought? Does your saddle fit?

Hi pigeon, see my post on previous page, this was just a post vet update .....
Yes she has it reflocked / adjusted every 3 mths as she has changed so much, altho we have moved on from thorowgood to leather, so hopefully I have my forever saddle now :)

Moomin1

Visit site
Thanks Pearl, I am very happy with my vet, always have been happy with him, he's a great horse vet and used by many top riders, I am just a lil hunter, but he has all the time in he the world for you and is very thorough. Daughter is absolutely fine thanks. I was so scared when he was doing his tests, and couodnt even breathe when I was trotting her up, she has a high action anyway, being welshy x, it's sad seeing her a bit bashed up, she can have all the time in the world she's very special .

So the very good vet and very good physio, who agreed that she was muscularly under developed, are now disagreeing vastly? How confusing. And the very reputable vet also recommended this physio in the first place? Sounds borderline negligent to me.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
So the very good vet and very good physio, who agreed that she was muscularly under developed, are now disagreeing vastly? How confusing. And the very reputable vet also recommended this physio in the first place? Sounds borderline negligent to me.

Thanks moomin for taking the time to reply. The mare was tiny when I had her.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Thanks for the update. So basically she's given herself a bit of a bash and needs time?

TBH I know people swear by pessoas but IMO long reining can get them working just as well, and it means you have more control and instant flexibility over how you're asking her to go, rather than being reliant on a gadget.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Yes Esther , he said in his opinion she is bashed up, she's passed a flexion test, and numerous spins on each leg, and he find lots of stretches in her....
When she first came to me she was uneven in her pelvis in trot ( not lame ) that's why physio came then and then came regularily, but after 2 sessions she was even and never been uneven since then. Also she had a bigger shoulder muscle.
His evaluation of her yesterday was a horse in what he called fit strong condition, with even muscle tone, he said her bum muscles were not in the wrong place at all, these cobs are designed to have wonderful trots not a big round canter.
Said for the next 6 weeks she needs walking out either with less than 7 stone or long rein, on the buckle, don't ask anything of her at all.
He will give her a full work up in 6 weeks and then I can get back to schooling her, and if I did lunge her then build up to it over a long time. She needs to learn to carry herself first before you put her in a Pessoa ( which he's not a fan of )
Anyhow I am pleased my lil cob passed his work up and like I said was just updating a few people, may have been better to pm them lol

siennamum

Visit site
Great news. I must say I am no fan of the pessoa. Sounds like some time in the field would be as beneficial as anything.

At least you have some nice hills to work up & down also. My old mare is also no dressage horse (although she will score 70% + & is nicely schooled) I don't expect her to be uber engaged & uphill - she's not built for it. I suspect that is what your vet was meaning. a bit of steady work, a bit of hill work and you'll have your nice cob back.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Yes sienna, spot in.
He's reassured me somewhat!
Hills not a great idea just yet, and she will remain in the flat paddock , that's two sick bays we have now ( old tb with abscess ) never rains but it pours!
On the upside he left me a huge tub of immune boost supplement for my sarcoid youngster to trial for free :)

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
Will do Donnie, was pitiful seeing her clipping both hinds in trot yesterday, even vet gave her a bowl of grub as a reward after her stretches think she has us all by our heart strings!