Horse has died *need hugs*

Fides

Visit site
We had such a lovely day yesterday - went for a hack in the sun, turned him out naked for a hoolie with his buddies, brought him in for dinner, rugged him and turned him back out with no issues at about half 5. Came out at half 10 to do pre-bedtime check and tie night nets in the field and he was nowhere to be seen. Me and OH walked the fields in the dark searching for him and he let out a really pathetic little whinny. We found him and he was caked in mud from where he had gone down in the field (?ditch we dont know) :( We struggled leading him back across the field as he was really reluctant to move but after much coaxing got him into his stable and put a his brand new stable rug on him and a fleece to warm him up. He was so sorry for himself and looked exhausted.

We sat with him in his stable for about an hour and a half and gave him a hot bran mash to warm him up but he wasn't interested :( We went in the house to get warm and have a hot choc and sat outside his stable while he was snuffling us over the door. He had perked up quite a lot and was showing more interest and took a few minty treats off us. There was much cuddling going on and many tears at this and we left him alone with the lights off for half an hour while we sorted the dogs. We came back and he was stood with his nose to the corner of the stable sleeping. This totally put our minds at rest (plus he had peed and pood) - I would have been concerned if he had been lay down (and had it in my mind if he was I would stay in the stable with him). But he seemed relaxed so we took ourselves to bed. It was 2am.

At 8am I got up to go and check on him and fully expected him to be recovered and giving me happy horse noise over the door. Unfortunately he had passed in the night :( He had ate some of his net and drank some of his water and it just looks like he had lay down and gone to sleep and not woke up :( The bed was undisturbed...

We are both devastated as he had come to us to retire after a long BSJA and stud career. He was such a dude!

In his former glory

image_zpsc864bdbf.jpg

First walk out with my OH (he's a total novice so was concentrating on bonding first)

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
How lovely that he passed peacefully in his stable, warm and cared for but poor you, it must have been such a shock to find him this morning. Been through the same thing myself so I can totally sympathise, you can't quite believe it and it takes a while to sink in. A big gentle hug from me. (((((x))))).

Fides

Visit site
Thankyou everyone. He had only been here for 8 weeks so had such a short retirement :( we had so many plans for the summer and my OH having lessons on him but now he has gone over the bridge :( He had cemented himself into our hearts and family and is going to leave a huge hole!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
What a shock!
Best for him to go peacefully in his own stable with plenty of food and water available but dreadful for you and OH. It sounds as if her thoroughly enjoyed his 'retirement', even if it was shorter than you expected.

3Beasties

Visit site
What a shock for you :( How old was he? Sounds like you were both very caring owners and he was lucky to have 8 weeks with you :)

Queenbee

Visit site
I'm sorry, and I'm incredibly sorry for your loss, perhaps not appropriate but it seems like you didn't call your vet. Perhaps nothing could have been done but I'm a little bit shocked at this. Nevertheless I'm so sorry

LauraWheeler

Visit site
So sorry to read this. ((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) to you and your OH. He may have only had 8 weeks of retirement but they sound like they were a wonderful 8 weeks. Many horses get years of retirement but they are just left in a field and all but forgotton about.

RIP Beautiful boy. xx

catembi

Visit site
So sorry this has happened. It sounds as if he went peacefully, which is so lovely for him. If his bed wasn't disturbed, he must have been asleep and known nothing about it.

(Under the circs you've described, I don't think I'd have called the vet either. Don't beat yourself up - there's no way to 2nd guess these things.)

He looks such a handsome horse.

T x

putasocinit

Visit site
Sorry for your loss, i take it you didnt get a post mortem done, but sounds like he twisted his gut from colic, gone so quickly, or the dreaded AM. At least he was in a warm stable and you had time to spend with him. Hugs, RIP boyo

Cragrat

Visit site
So sorry this has happened. It sounds as if he went peacefully, which is so lovely for him. If his bed wasn't disturbed, he must have been asleep and known nothing about it.

(Under the circs you've described, I don't think I'd have called the vet either. Don't beat yourself up - there's no way to 2nd guess these things.)

He looks such a handsome horse.

T x

This totally. You went out late at night, found him, he was dry, warm, eating/weeing/pooing - I wouldn't have called a vet either.

So sad he has gone, but he went peacefully, in a caring loving home. So many aren't so lucky.