Horse has died *need hugs*

Fides

Visit site
Hi - thanks again for the comments and kind words.

I didn't call the vet as he wasn't showing any signs of distress -he just looked tired :( He had peed and pooed as normal, had taken treats and given snuffles. I do not believe it was colic as he showed no signs - he was calm, relaxed, pooing and weeing as normal and not trying to 'go down', bite his flanks or any of the other things they do when colicking. I've experienced a horse with a twisted gut and it was in excrutiating pain, on the floor, writhing - the stable showed no signs of this...

Not calling the vet will be on my mind forever and it is hurtful hearing "I take it you didn't call the vet". In my experience I deemed a vet callout for a horse that just seemed exhausted unnecessary. It turns out I was wrong... I have to live with that :(

nikicb

www.facebook.com

I didn't call the vet as he wasn't showing any signs of distress -he just looked tired :( He had peed and pooed as normal, had taken treats and given snuffles. I do not believe it was colic as he showed no signs - he was calm, relaxed, pooing and weeing as normal and not trying to 'go down', bite his flanks or any of the other things they do when colicking. I've experienced a horse with a twisted gut and it was in excrutiating pain, on the floor, writhing - the stable showed no signs of this...

Not calling the vet will be on my mind forever and it is hurtful hearing "I take it you didn't call the vet". In my experience I deemed a vet callout for a horse that just seemed exhausted unnecessary. It turns out I was wrong... I have to live with that :(

So sorry to hear your news - he looked stunning. Very sad that he had such a short retirement, but it looked like it was a happy one. Don't worry about the people who say you should have called the vet, there will always be someone who thinks they know the situation better than you. When my 35 year old mare was poorly just before I lost her, I had a couple as well. RIP beautiful boy, and hugs to you and your OH, it's been a traumatic 24 hours. xx

3Beasties

Visit site

Don't blame yourself! Realistically from what you have described I can't imagine that the vet would have come out even if you had called him. I would hazard a guess that they would have said keep an eye on him and call us if he gets worse. Will you get a PM done? I think the not knowing would drive me mad although I can understand if you have decided not to go down that route.

pipsqueek

Visit site
Very sorry to hear, he had a short but happy retirement, not fair for people to be saying you should have called the vet, my thoughts are with you x

LaMooch

Visit site
Sorry for your and your OH loss. One thing you can take from this is he passed away peacefully and quietly. Big Hugz x

babymare

Visit site
Hun you say in OP the bed was not disturbed. he had eaten and drunk. that to me says not colic. you had checked him and he looked relaxed etc. I personally (and i stress im no vet) his heart gave? Should you have called a vet? from what you wrote nothing pointed to the need. Hind sight is a marvellous thing hun. Please do not beat yourself up. You checked him and saw no reason to worry. Bless him. Hugsxp

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
I am so sorry. How sad, and what a shock for you to find him gone. Bit unfair about the comments about the vet. It's easy to say and have hindsight. Don't beat yourself up.The outcome could have been the same vet or not. His retirement may have been short, but it wasn't short on love. Big hugs x xRIP beautiful boy, he was a lovely horse x

EllenJay

Visit site
I'm sorry, and I'm incredibly sorry for your loss, perhaps not appropriate but it seems like you didn't call your vet. Perhaps nothing could have been done but I'm a little bit shocked at this. Nevertheless I'm so sorry

I am so very sorry for your loss, it's always a shock when they go so suddenly.

Not sure if this was really needed Queenbee, at best insensitive and at worse cruel.

Tash88

Visit site
I am so sorry for your loss, thinking of you and your OH. Your boy sounds as lucky to have you both as you were to have him, and it sounds like he had a peaceful passing in a place where he knew he was loved.

Tash xxx

SusieT

Visit site
To be totally honest, best mentioned so that others don't think it is normal for a healthy horse to be found 'exhausted' in the field as described. Hard to know what happened but any vet would have said needs a check over, could have been a number of factors at play.
Sad loss, at least he was in a warm stable.

Clare85

Visit site
So very sorry for your loss OP, how very sad. No need to justify yourself for not calling the vet. I think it's very unnecessary that others have brought this up actually. You were there and you judged the situation as you saw fit - he obviously was not in distress and passed peacefully in his sleep, knowing he was loved and cared for. It is more than many can hope for. It sounds as if you gave him a lovely retirement, even if it was short. Take care of yourself.

Nari

Visit site
I'm so sorry x

With everything you describe I doubt I'd have called a vet either, and may well have made no difference anyway other than putting him through an invasive examination. Just laying down & going to sleep sounds like the best possible way to go, a fitting end for a horse who sounds like a gentleman.

Hoofprints in the Snow

Visit site
I was thinking what babymare said. It could have been his heart giving up, he would have felt tired, he was in a warm stable feeling safe, went to sleep and went peacefully. I don't think a Vet could have done much if that was the case. He was indeed a beautifull horse, and lucky to have the care you gave him during his last weeks. Most of us would be pleased with an end like that for our older horses, rather than a long illness. (((hugs)))

alphanumeric

Visit site
I don't come on this forum much, but a friend drew my attention to this post. Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your boy OP and let you know (for what it's worth) that I wouldn't have done anything differently in your situation. Hugs to you and your OH and take comfort from the fact that you brought the boy in, got him warm and comfortable and gave him plenty of attention and sweets before saying good night.

Hippona

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss.
FWIW...I wouldn't have called the vet either....and I bet if you had have done there's nothing they would have done other than told you to keep an eye on him ...which you did. I lost a horse to colic...believe me he wasn't peaceful and the stable was a mess. I also lost a horse who collapsed whilst I was hacking her out..sudden heart attack, no warning.She was nine. Horrible things happen sometimes.
I think your old guy went very peacefully.

I'll raise a glass to him and you :)

Utterly uncalled for even mentioning the vet IMO.

Patterdale

Visit site
So sorry this has happened. It sounds as if he went peacefully, which is so lovely for him. If his bed wasn't disturbed, he must have been asleep and known nothing about it.

(Under the circs you've described, I don't think I'd have called the vet either. Don't beat yourself up - there's no way to 2nd guess these things.)

He looks such a handsome horse.

T x

This. I wouldn't have called the vet either in the circumstances you describe OP.

Sadly, old horses die :(

Better to pass sleeping in his stable, warm and dry, than be poked and prodded by the vet all night.

If he'd been showing signs of colic etc then maybe I would have called the vet, but an old horse being cold and tired out at night, then seemingly perking up after being brought in, I don't consider a vet case.

He's very lucky to have been cared for and warm in his last hours. Thoughts with you xxx

Ps doesn't sound REMOTELY like a torsion to me either.

Saneta

Visit site
So sorry for your loss and the shock of all this for you. It certainly sounds like his heart gave out and there wouldn't have been anything the vet could have done. Take comfort in the fact that he laid down, went to sleep and never woke up. A peaceful mend for a beautiful and loved boy. Rather that than you having to make the final decision we all fear...

bonny

Visit site
Sometimes there is nothing wrong with dying, he sounded peaceful and content in his stable and good that you were there shortly before....I can't see what a vet could have done anyway, sounds like his time was just up. Can I ask how old he was ?

Ibblebibble

Visit site
so very sorry for your loss :(
please do not blame yourself for not calling a vet, as others have said, in the circumstances you have described i would not have felt a vet was needed either.
He was a very handsome boy who you gave 8 wonderful weeks of retirement to.x