Horse is fitting after head injury- what are my chances?

Mince Pie

Visit site
Jeepers, what a rollercoaster you have been on OP! I'm appalled at the vet but having been on the receiving end of it from Doctors, sadly it's not uncommon - I would be putting in a big complaint though. Fingers crossed Rosa continues to pull through and you guys have many more happy years together, she's a beautiful mare :)

Dougal9

Visit site
I have just finished reading this from start to finish. Mum and daughter are truly, truly inspirational - they followed their instincts against all the odds and never gave up, something that I am a great believer in. I think a lot can be learned from this heart wrenching but uplifting journey. Well done to them both :)

Equi

Visit site
Just spent the best part of two hours reading everything in here and crying and smiling. Who needs TV!

So glad she is on the mend!

Princess16

Visit site
Lovely photos HH. She really is lovely.

Just wondered if she now has phobia of going near place where it happened ? Sounded horrific I can't imagine the pain the poor love must have been in:-(

High Hope

Visit site
Lovely photos HH. She really is lovely.

Just wondered if she now has phobia of going near place where it happened ? Sounded horrific I can't imagine the pain the poor love must have been in:-(

She actually did it in her stable!
She was stood nice and quiet while I was grooming her, and she turned too quick and smacked her head- all of this was because of something as simple, and STUPID as that!
Her stable is her safe place, if anything. While she's not been right she's been desperate to get back in it each time she's come out for a short spell (though not anymore, apparently!! :D )

Princess16

Visit site
She actually did it in her stable!
She was stood nice and quiet while I was grooming her, and she turned too quick and smacked her head- all of this was because of something as simple, and STUPID as that!
Her stable is her safe place, if anything. While she's not been right she's been desperate to get back in it each time she's come out for a short spell (though not anymore, apparently!! :D )

Aww bless her but good that she's feeling better and more confident in herself to stay out.

Just love this happy story :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hi High Hopes, can we have an update on Rosa? Are you back riding yet? I followed her story with my heart in my mouth. Hoping her rehab has been completely successful.

Bilbo_Baggins

Visit site
Hi High Hopes, can we have an update on Rosa? Are you back riding yet? I followed her story with my heart in my mouth. Hoping her rehab has been completely successful.

Just read this thread from start to finish! Wow, emotional rollercoaster or what! I hope that Rosa is continuing the improve and would love to see an update too :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Bump, hoping the lack of update is not bad news :( ? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to go public.

Chloe-V

Visit site
Hi guys. I apologize to those of you who've asked and have not had an update recently.... I shall give daughter a gentle reminder!

All's well. Vets very happy.

Rosa has done really well. She was got to the point where she was able to live out 24 hours a day most of the time. She does still get a bit 'head achey' when out in Aberdeen stormy weather (can be a bit extreme) so she was coming back into the stable in bad weather.
She'd got to the point where she had started to do in hand groundwork again to build her up ready to start work again.

Then.... daughter has a heavy workload at work and is in the middle of working towards exams!!
At my suggestion, Rosa has come back home to me temporarily to just chill out while daughter gets driving test and exams sorted and out of the way. She was spending 3 hours a day on public transport between work and Rosa and it's just too much.

After much thought, Eric Gillies brought Rosa home for us, 400 miles, and I can't recommend them enough. We gave them all her history and a long list of 'what if's' and 'do's and don't's' and 'just in cases' and they were superb with her. Obviously, this was the first time in a box since it all happened and unknown territory.
She arrived here totally calm and relaxed and is now out with the broodmares she used to know.

When said daughter gets herself sorted, the plan is for Rosa to go back up to her again.

it's all a big reflief, it could so easily have ended so badly those few months ago.....

Last edited:

Alec Swan

Visit site
Rosa's continued improvement must be a huge relief and you sound pleased with her progress and your vet's support.

It's a well done to everyone, by the sounds of things! Is Rosa still receiving prescribed medication?

Alec.

Chloe-V

Visit site
Hi Alec,
Thank you, yes, a big relief.

She only has the occasional Danilon now, usually when she's been out in strong winds and rain. We play it by ear, so to speak.
She does seem to get a bit of a headache in the wind and we do pamper her a bit with that. Apart from that all seems good and she's behaving like a 'normal' horse.

It was totally my decision to bring her back here for a while. Daughter really, really didn't want to do it but I thought it made practical sense and Rosa will be going back up to her when work/exams etc settle down.

Last edited:

Chloe-V

Visit site
It was totally my decision to bring her back here for a while. Daughter really, really didn't want to do it but I thought it made practical sense and Rosa will be going back up to her when work/exams etc settle down.

Aargh... didn't mean that to sound like that!
I meant to say that it was my suggestion and a joint decision with my daughter, Rosa is her horse, not mine.

She was so happy to be starting with Rosa again and things going so well after all the heart ache that she was reluctant to let her go, but knew it was the sensible option atm.

View

Visit site
Glad to hear that recovery continues.

A spell of convalescence for Rosa sounds very sensible, as well ass giving your daughter a chance to catch up with exams etc.

High Hope

Visit site
Hey guys :)

I'm so so sorry I haven't replied, I didn't realise anyone had asked for an update :(

Mum has pretty much covered it, tbh- I'm snowed under by work ATM, was travelling for at LEAST 3 hours a day on buses, and just couldn't find the time to do everything I need to do :(

I was (am!) pretty upset that she's gone home, but at the same time I'm pleased she's going to have a year or so with Dr Green, alongside my old retired boy :) I couldn't have her in a better place :)

Rosa herself is actually fantastic, ATM! She was on field rest, but she was feeling so well that she was actually becoming rather bored, bless her!

She is on danilon occasionally, as she does get headaches in the wind / heavy weather pressure, but it's also partially to help her out with her hocks (she's got mild arthritis, and suffers in the cold / wet), but all in all, she's back to her old self

I'll be travelling home to visit more frequently, I feel ;) :) :)