Horse is fitting after head injury- what are my chances?

High Hope

Visit site
Small mercies: she's calm today. She's in a lot of pain, and she doesn't know what to do with herself, BUT she IS herself, I guess
Apart from morphine, what Can i ask for pain relief wise?
She's on danilon *when* she'll eat it

Dobermonkey

Visit site
Without knowing what is causing the pain (the damage she has done) I guess it's hard to say. When my dog had his spine op and had suspected nerve pain they gave him gabapentin which is primarily for epilepsy but is really good for nerve pain and that really helped him. A friend at work was also given it for nerve damage caused by an operation. Has the vet suggest a scan of any description? Everything crossed for her x

Dobermonkey

Visit site
He was also on tramadol (opiate based). Don't know if they give that to horses? My friend dog is currently on it to keep her comfortable as she is at the end of the road with cancer.

Bryndu

Visit site
So glad things are improving....

I should just ask the question of your vet re pain relief...

However.....sometimes it is wise to not give total and utter pain relief as it may mask any further symptoms that may develop..which is maybe what your vet may be administering for ?

Best wishes
Bryndu

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Where are you, OP? I think if I were in your position, I would now be asking to involve the local vbet who does acupuncture. The Chinese perform major operations without anaesthetic but using acupuncture, so IO would want to see if that helped to control the pain, without adding any more drugs into the mix.

ozpoz

Visit site
The other supportive thing I would do is arnica tablets, for reducing bruising/inflammation.
When a family member had a head injury i gave them this and even the doctors were impressed at how quickly the bruising disappeared. The dose is the same for animals or people.

LD&S

Visit site
You must feel like you're on a giant roller coaster, so many ups and downs though it was good to read when she's not in pain she's more like her usual self, keeping everything crossed for you both.

jojo5

Visit site
Hi have been checking in with this and hoping for good news along with everyone else. Would prob be asking for a scan now, as the results would prob show the way forward. Xx

julie111

Visit site
Sorry to hear she is still in a lot of pain, I'm another who would be wanting it investigated to get to the bottom of it. Take care and the best of luck xx

cundlegreen

Visit site
Re the not drinking..... I've seen a clever trick of offering really watery sugar beet with pieces of apple in it. Worked a treat on an eventer who wouldn't drink away from home.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Only just joined the thread...I've got everything crossed for you and your mare.
Make sure you are taking care of yourself too. I really hope she pulls through this for you.
Also I would maybe look at the acupuncture that pearlsasinger was saying about a few posts up.
Xxx

Chloe-V

Visit site
The question would arise; 'Is she fit to travel'? Sometimes it isn't an option, sadly.

Thank you, Alec, unfortunately, you are absolutely correct.
As she isn't 'fit to travel' we do not have the option of taking her anywhere for more in-depth investigations and are having to just deal with whatever can be done at home.
I'm OP's mum btw and unfortunately 400 miles away, but doing what I can to help.
I'd like to thank you all for your support for my daughter and her horse at this really difficult time. I know you've all been a real help to her.

julie111

Visit site
Hi Chloe we all have your daughter and her horse in our thoughts. As a mum you are doing what you can at this difficult time. I have everything crossed for better news later!

flaxen

Visit site
My pony fractured/ crushed his skull where the nerves inserted through it. He was on gabapentin, he started on 4000 mg twice daily and was then increased to 8000mg twice a day. Do you have a horse ambulance near you? They could sling her to travel. We had a race horse with a displaced fracture of c2/3 caused by falling which was pressing on his spinal cord, he came to us in an ambulance in a sling as he was so ataxic.

Dobermonkey

Visit site
Would thermal imagining be any use in narrowing down the site of the injury? Is there a haematoma of any discription? Just trying to think of anything that could be brought to you. A very long shot but have they assessed her for poll evil? My friends baby warmblood had this last year after what they think she tripped and banged her head in some fashion and it was in a right state and ended up with a drain to relieve the pressure. She didn't fit but just thinking if there is fluid building up and it's pressing up into the base of her brain then that might cause the fitting? I'm no vet just clutching at a few straws x