Horse is fitting after head injury- what are my chances?

Luci07

Visit site
Just seen this and just wanted to wish you every luck. I have no knowledge or advice to offer but didn't want to read and not respond.

High Hope

Visit site
Hi guys

After a mega dose of morphine, she's still not right, but she's very very quiet. She's not upset, which is a blessing, so vet is coming out first thing tomorrow to give her a top up, and I'm going to leave her nice and quiet tonight

Re: travelling and further investigation : she's not fit to travel. I won't put her through it, full stop-- she's not strong enough in herself and I'm not going to stress her anymore than i have to

I do like the idea of the thermal imaging though, I will look into that in my area when I get home

Thank you all for your continued support, it is immensely appreciated

In other thoughts, I have absolutely no idea how I am supposed to face work tomorrow, I am bone tired at this point !!! :(

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
This is a time when you would be completely justified staying off work, but no-one who doesn't own a horse would understand :-(. I hope you sleep tonight and that she is improved tomorrow.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Hi guys

After a mega dose of morphine, she's still not right, but she's very very quiet. She's not upset, which is a blessing, so vet is coming out first thing tkmorrow to give her a top up, and I'm going to leave her nice and quiet tonight

Re: travelling and further investigation : she's not fit to travel. I won't put her through it, full stop-- she's not strong enough in herself and I'm not going to stress her anymore than i have to

I do like the idea of the thermal imaging though, I will look into that in my area when I get home

Thank you all for your continued support, it is immensely appreciated

In other thoughts, I have absolutely no idea how I am supposed to face work tomorrow, I am bone tired at this point !!! :(

I'm very anti phoning in sick under normal circumstances. However, you ARE sick. You are totally fatigued and mentally stressed. I would probably make use of the fact that the noro virus is doing the rounds. I find people are not very sympathetic when it's horse related. Get well soon lovely mare x

meesha

Visit site
Phone in sick, lack of sleep and stress means you will be no use at work and distracted driving etc. The pain meds/morphine will make her out of it so appear not right but the fact that she seems to have stopped fitting must give hope. Hopefully she is just slightky concussed now (we have all been there i suspect) and on her way to recivery, thinking of you x

{97702}

Visit site
I work in HR so I should know better but..... phone in sick, you won't be able to function properly at work anyway, and you need to be with your mare. Keeping my fingers tightly crossed for a good outcome for you both xx

EllenJay

Visit site
Have all my fingers crossed hat this ends up a good outcome. I think that if you can keep her relatively happy, fed and watered for the next few days, that will give the head injury a chance to recover. Hoping for the very best xx

Dobermonkey

Visit site
They keep humans with head injury in induced comas don't they to give the body time to heal? Keep strong sweetheart drugs and keep her quiet with minimal stimulation and let nature help X. Routing for you X

jojo5

Visit site
Noted the thermal imaging suggestion, and had been thinking about horses I have known who have had limbs scanned onsite at their yards. Not even sure if this is the same thing but is there any imagery generating tech that could be used while the opiates are keeping her very still? Have no idea how it works and am guessing that the vet would have suggested this if it is possible?

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
again, no advice, but just wanted to say my thoughts are with you and your girl, keeping everything crossed for you for a good outcome.

ps - if it was me I would definitely phone in sick - your horse needs you, and when you are not with her you need to rest! Also DO make sure you are eating properly and drinking plenty (of non-alcoholic, as well as the alcoholic variety!!). I am sure you have a good support network around you - and you are certainly doing all you can for your horse. All good luck!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Glad she's stopped fitting for now. Personally, if I were you, I'd phone in sick. I'm really hoping for a positive outcome for your poor mare. Massive hugs to you, it must be awful just waiting for her condition to pick up. Take care of yourself. x

MDB

Visit site
I am glad she is a bit more settled after the morphine.

There is absolutely no way I would be going to work tomorrow OP. You will surely be sleep deprived, stressed out and exhausted. You will be no use to anybody at work and you will most likely want to be with your horse anyway.

I must have checked in on this thread about 15 times today. We are all still thinking of you and praying for your horse. Hope you get some rest tonight. X

LD&S

Visit site
I'm very anti phoning in sick under normal circumstances. However, you ARE sick. You are totally fatigued and mentally stressed. I would probably make use of the fact that the noro virus is doing the rounds. I find people are not very sympathetic when it's horse related. Get well soon lovely mare x

I wish there was a 'like' button.

I think you need some rest and also time to be with your horse not away from her worrying how she is.

meesha

Visit site
Don't know if it is what is needed, but I have had vet out with ultrasound machine on site, no electric required, amazing imagery. Instant pics/results, I had it for torn meniscus in horse X

LHIS

Visit site
I'm going to echo others and say sod work, phone in sick. You'll be no good at work tired and distracted, get a good nights sleep and then go and be with your girl tomorrow. Sending positive thoughts.

Tobiano

Visit site
oh my goodness - High Hope and Chloe - I have only just seen this and have read all the way through - what a terrible roller coaster of hope and terror you have been through. I really hope, with all the others here, that she pulls through. And don't go to work tomorrow. x

Ceriann

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear what you and your horse are going through and have everything crossed for some continued positive progress. Don't go to work - you won't be able to focus on anything there and will just want to be with your girl. Rest up and let us know how she gets on xx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Following this post and my thoughts are with you.

As for work, I would phone first thing and simply tell them you need two emergency days off.

debsflo

Visit site
I can't imagine any boss not being compassionate with this sort of event ,horse lover or not. Please do what's best for you but I doubt you would be fit to work and will be worried sick. I am still crossing everything she has a peaceful night. My vet is mobile and has all sorts of scanners in his van. Not sure where you are ?