horse just bolted 5 miles down the road

Visit site
Hello OP and others,

First of all I’m glad you are ok – and keep an eye on that knee they are certainly not to be ignored if damaged.

A few years back we had a pony that was a true star, she jumped 1.20m tracks all day long had all the younger kids on her jumping round 1m tracks to get them going at big shows with lots of things going on. We had had her about 12 years when she went out on loan (same yard) to a lady that didn’t have loads of experience but the pony was slowing down a bit in the workload we wanted for her. Basically the lady wanted to learn to jump a bit hack out etc. one day after 3 weeks of having her she was lunging and the pony just went. She ran off the yard (we couldn’t get the several gates closed in time having just had hay delivered) ran through traffic a village horns honking cars skidding the full terrifying job. We ‘chased her’ in a car and she eventually stopped and we got her just before a motorway joining. She just ran and ran and ran. The lady said she was lunging and she just went. Now I have no idea what made her go that day, the lady I don’t think had done anything to warrant that and such an easy well mannered mare I cant imagine what made her go. We knew her inside out and we had her old rider get back on her slowly (not that day!!) and work with her. She settled back with us jumping her tracks and winning classes never saw behaviour like that from her ever again. Thing is we had 12 years of riding the pony and knowing it inside out and she still did it and we had an established friend to put her straight.

I personally do not think that you did anything to warrant that reaction. What I would say to the above it that we have had others, that were broken and could not be fixed. In the above case she has her old jockey get on and see what’s going on with her. There wasn’t much to do she had her old friend back and just carried on like nothing had happened. You are not a friend of this horse, you don’t know its background and let me tell you even after she ‘went’ I wasn’t queuing to jump back on her and see what was doing. I’m very sorry for your experience and I’m very conscious that you have the same fears (if he did it again people could get v v injured) my rambling point Is this – he’s a project horse which has put an amount of uncertainty in your dealings with him – do you think this is going to progress well?

I absolutely admire you for working with him – I don’t know what I would do in your situation – I wasn’t comfortable with seeing a pony id known for a long time do that and one I trust so very best of luck with your decisions. I don’t think you can make a wrong decision by the way, so long you keep in mind the bigger picture of your own safety and other peoples (hopefully this thought school should cover his safety too). best of luck to you – you sound like a very caring person trying to do the right thing x

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I'd have him returned to breeder or shot..he is a danger to himself and others! and will be a drain on your finances replacing stable doors, fences etc god knows what else he will take out!

This is a very drastic suggestion. My very relaxed horses would be barging out of stables if I left them cooped up too in a new environment. Horses are flight animals - a stable can be a scary vulnerable place for them. I am glad I am not a pet in your household!

Rouletterose

Visit site
Work him, he's ridden isn't he? get a friend over and give hime a good work session, something to think about. Get him into a firm routine straight away, the horse doesn't know whether he's coming or going, he needs someone to tell him and that's you.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
This is a very drastic suggestion. My very relaxed horses would be barging out of stables if I left them cooped up too in a new environment. Horses are flight animals - a stable can be a scary vulnerable place for them. I am glad I am not a pet in your household!

agree.

Work him, he's ridden isn't he? get a friend over and give hime a good work session, something to think about. Get him into a firm routine straight away, the horse doesn't know whether he's coming or going, he needs someone to tell him and that's you.

and agree!

Quenotte

Visit site
I must say I am a bit shocked with all people on there who said PTS. Should all the young green horses be PTS as soon as they misbehave ?
I know lots of horses who bolted, escaped, bite, kicked but they havent been PTS.
The OP says she is experienced so I am sure she can work on him her magic. She needs people to support her and gives her more confidence after her ordeal.
I fully agree he needs to get exercised, maybe lunged in the pen if you dont feel like riding him straight away.
Keeping him in his stable without enough exercise and turn out is definetely not good.
I wish I would be close to you because I would offer my help. Maybe some people on the boards who live next to you could offer their help??
If you try turning him out again, maybe you should do it after lunging him so he will be hopefully calmer. Good luck and sending you a lot of positive thoughst!

buddy's mummy

Visit site

thats a bit nasty too...the horse that digitalangel is describing sounds dangerous, if everytime he goes in a field he blind bolts, imagine driving down the road with one coming towards your car windscreen?! would you then think I was being drastic?

Quenotte

Visit site
Sorry should have been more clear about the issue re rugs the first night he was t in stable was in my turnout pen as he was completely chilled with the rugs SI far . That of course doesn't mean they didn't spook him but I think it was probably more likely the nasty fall into the fence taking the post out with him which likely zapped him and caused the bolt . When I got him home he was soaked to the bone and I was forced to put him in a sweat rug as I did not want to risk a chill . It came off once he was dry ad he's been unrugged since . But of all the things that have happened hea been surprisingly good about rugging and loading .
The OP explained that the running off was because he had a nasty fall into the fence taking the post out with him. So that's hopefully just a one-off unfortunate accident very unlikely to repeat itself. It was not just a question of turning him out.
For sure he was used to be turned out at the breeder. You can see how unhappy he is to be kept in his stable, he is probably used ot the routine of being turned out in the morning and lots of horses I know go crazy in their stable if they are not turned out in the morning as they are used to.
So IMO he just needs time to get used to his new life thats all.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Give DA a break, please people who reckon the horse is now misbehaving because he's stir crazy at being stabled.

I'm sure DA would much rather he was moseying around the field, relaxing. What she DOESN'T want is a repeat of the terrifying escape onto the road.

It's common for new horses to take time to settle, but most of us take it as a given that we can contain the dang things on the premises during the process!

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
thats a bit nasty too...the horse that digitalangel is describing sounds dangerous, if everytime he goes in a field he blind bolts, imagine driving down the road with one coming towards your car windscreen?! would you then think I was being drastic?

he's been out ONCE? got upset by his mate/other horses being moved around (which i personally would not do on his first day there) got a shock from the fence, and possibly a fright from the rug.

if we were talking about a horse that just went hell for leather in to the sunset repeatedly, day after day, time after time i could see your point, but you are advocating PTS a healthy horse that potentially will settle down, if not with the OP, with someone else.

as ive said before, this was an unfortunate series of events but lets not be too dramatic about what to do now...........................

buddy's mummy

Visit site
he's been out ONCE? got upset by his mate/other horses being moved around (which i personally would not do on his first day there) got a shock from the fence, and possibly a fright from the rug.

if we were talking about a horse that just went hell for leather in to the sunset repeatedly, day after day, time after time i could see your point, but you are advocating PTS a healthy horse that potentially will settle down, if not with the OP, with someone else.

as ive said before, this was an unfortunate series of events but lets not be too dramatic about what to do now...........................

I see your point but it has tried to barge out of its stable also.

HazyXmas

Visit site
DA's vet is the best person to advise her once he's had a chance to assess the horse.

I know that he must be very unhappy to have been in for the last 24 hours, especially if he's spent most of his life out, but i do agree with DA that her safety & that of the general public must come first.

If it's felt that turning out is worth another try, maybe he can give a sedative for a couple of days until he's had a proper chance to settle & make a friend or two.

Is there any news from the Vet DA?

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
but it hasnt.its tried, been told no, and hasnt managed it.

again, if it had jumped out then fled the yard leaving a trail of carnage in its wake, id be taking a different view. or it had bust the door off its hinges and done the same, again, diff view.

its a naive, green, upset, unsettled horse, that (in my opinion) was set up to fail by the situation it was placed in.

again, i think PTS is ridiculously drastic.

digitalangel

Visit site
I agree with everyone regarding not keeping it locked up in a stable - likely it will explode. But that is the place where he seems most comfortable and safe right at this moment. Small steps. given hes barged out, and just gone to eat grass hes saying hes happy to start exploring so ive put him in the turnout pen and sitting on the loo because the loo window is the only one that looks out to the pen. So i will be working on the loo for the rest of the afternoon. I watched him in person first. He checked for his possible exits, now hes standing calmly by the gate. Im away this weekend and i dont want to lump other people with handling him/having to handwalk him, so i am hoping we can keep building up he turnout and he remains calm. 2 other horses are also in, 1 is his buddy and 2 is my other horse on box rest. i the evening i will work with him in the stable getting him used to me grooming etc, and see how we go.

It seems he is a LOT more stressy in the mornings. by the afternoon he almost seems dopey.

That said this is not what i was after in terms of a horse at all and i struggling for time and relying on others because i cant and shouldnt be handling him alone. so for that reason i would still want him to go back. Im starting legal proceedings. they knew damn well i needed something that was safe to handle on my own because i explained that to them over and over that im alone on he yard for quite a few days in the week.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The horse has only escaped the once so far, but it was a miracle that no one was killed or injured on the roads when he did so.

IF it happens again, innocent people may well not be so lucky.

Some people, who have never even met the horse, seem to be sure that it was a one off, never to be repeated.

Will you all stand up to back up DA at the inquests then if the horse bolts again and this time there are fatalities?

ETA DA I've just seen your latest post, I admire what you're doing with him, hope you get a safe resolution to it all.

Last edited:

MadBlackLab

Visit site
The horse has only escaped the once so far, but it was a miracle that no one was killed or injured on the roads when he did so.

Some people, who have never even met the horse, seem to be sure that it was a one off, never to be repeated.

Will you all stand up to back up DA at the inquests then if the horse bolts again and this time there are fatalities?

How you sure its not a one off?

Ladyinred

Visit site
DigitalAngel must be losing the will to live reading this thread. I don't think I have ever read so much conflicting advice.

Carry on as you are DA, you seem to have patience and sense and will do the best you are able. I hope you are able to get the breeder to take him back.. it sounds a very strange story on their part.

buddy's mummy

Visit site

ETA DA I've just seen your latest post, I admire what you're doing with him, hope you get a safe resolution to it all.

this!

cptrayes

Visit site

If it happens again and he kills or injures a couple of motorists with dependants to support, the owner has what is called 'a priori' knowledge of the danger she put the motorists in. Her public liability limit on her insurance could easily be exceeded leaving her open to losing everything she owns in damages to the injured, dead, and their dependants.

For the moment she has no safe option but to keep him stabled or penned in an unbreakable area..

With so many nice horses needing homes, I would not blame her for getting rid of this disturbed creature any way she can. His reactions so far have been abnormal. He may settle, he may always be a bit crazy like one of mine was*. Who would willingly take that risk?

* at four he broke stable doors down. At ten, he was settled at home but if ever put in stable away from home he broke the door down. He was put down at ten because he was a wobbler, but I don't believe he would ever have changed.

Last edited:

buddy's mummy

Visit site
If it happens again and he kills or injures a couple of motorists with dependants to support, the owner has what is called 'a priori' knowledge of the danger she put the motorists in. Her public liability limit on her insurance could easily be exceeded leaving her open to losing everything she owns in damages to the injured, dead, and their dependants.

For the moment she has no safe option but to keep him stabled or penned in an unbreakable area..

With so many nice horses needing homes, I would not blame her for getting rid of this disturbed creature any way she can. His reactions so far have been abnormal. He may settle, he may always be a bit crazy like one of mine was*. Who would willingly take that risk?

* at four he broke stable doors down. At ten, he was settled at home but if ever put in stable away from home he broke the door down. He was put down at ten because he was a wobbler, but I don't believe he would ever have changed.

I agree

doriangrey

Visit site
I wouldn't be riding him either. He went through several fences bolted for 5 miles and if I recall correctly fell at least once. Apart from obvious lumps and bumps he's likely to be sore enough at the very least. I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction DA.

Lambkins

Visit site
^^^^^ I agree with this .. If someone got hurt/ killed and somehow this thread came to light op could loose everything :( this horse needs to go back to the breeder

Lambkins

Visit site

100% agree with this

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com

Definitely this.

I learned from a horrific accident that there's a difference between a horse prone to having a high spirited explosions and a horse that turns red zone at the flip of some internal switch. If they do the latter once, you don't want to be around when it happens a second time. A childhood friend of mine was too in love with her new horse to let it go and the second time it bolted with her it galloped over a hedge flat out into the side of a house. Horse had to be put down on the spot and she ended up in intensive with ruptured organs. I've had horses bolt with me but never like that, it was terrifying.

digitalangel

Visit site
You say it's worse/ he's more reactive in the morning. He's an Appaloosa, could this be ERU?

The only appaloosa-specific disease i was aware of was PSSM/EPSM and they told me both parents had tested negative. i held off buying him/viewing him again until i knew the results of the test. Im off to google appaloosa ERU. Ive had warmbloods most of my life, a few TB's and ponies too. Never had an appy before but so i guess i lack knowledge there.

Vet not coming till tomorrow now :( i honestly dont think in my heart of hearts he was doped, having used sedatives myself before ( for legitimate reasons!! ) you can normally tell. or at least i think i would. Thing is about this horse as i think he keeps his worry to himself until he explodes out of him. Hes also surprisingly sound given what hes been through.

He stuck like glue to the turnout pen gate for most of the time today, so hes taking comfort in being close to other horses. Thats OK but i kinda would like to ride his ' buddy ' at some point and said buddy is starting to get fed up of being in most of the time :(

digitalangel

Visit site
and yes completely agree was an utter miracle.

no, wont be riding him any time soon, he is still sore. need to sort getting him feeling like the doesnt need to leave the yard, or the village or the county in general first. riding and exercise will come, but given i am away this weekend am sticking to the current routine which i know others who will have to step in and do him will be comfortable with.