horse just bolted 5 miles down the road

Tern

Visit site
I feel for you, mine is not that bad but she is 7, when i first got her she reared and bolted when ridden,would not stand still, would not load, reared when tied up. Couldn't even understand how to pick her feet up - owner even admitted she did them pretty much never. (luckily this was in summer where it was bone dry) and couldn't go on the bit - got that nearly sorted but still can't bend and i mean she's 7! I would go with everything everyone else has said. Although she has been in the same home for 3 years - never went on roads to even hack..

Girlracer

Visit site
I've seen a horse go into a blind panic bolt before, it went through a few fences/gates before finally tangling itself in a 5 bar gate which was the only thing that stopped it.

It was a similar age, and was rugged for the first time, tied on the yard. Put it's head down to eat and either the noise/feel of the rug sent it into absolute panic mode and it eventually bolted away from the yard (which it had been at for a LONG time). Could something such as rugs have been a trigger?

Sounds very scary but sounds as though you're dealing with it as best you can. He sounds like a very scared, confused boy and I hope he realises it's all okay soon.

digitalangel

Visit site
lets see..

he signed the receipt to say that sold as tried, not seen alot of traffic.
they said the horse was well behaved in turnout would go out with anything, was fenced with post and electric, had not ever bolted bucked reared or bitten. They said he was safe just hadnt done a lot. the worst thing he had ever done was put his head up which is why he was ridden in a martingale. he was in a snaffle bit and gp saddle and a martingale and a cavesson noseband. hes not strong to ride. It was only when i asked specifically about tying him up they said that hes never tied up and when i asked his rug size they said hes never worn a rug.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well you should know OP that according to a couple of posters the breeder was in hospital on Friday (where he remains). An offer has also apparently been made to take the horse back - once the daughter has arrived to take over management of the yard.

Make of that what you will.

Hope these posters aren't confusing your purchase with someone else.

be positive

Visit site
lets see..

when i asked his rug size they said hes never worn a rug.

If it was the first time he had been out in a rug, once he started running he was probably running from the rug, that would explain why he was in such a panic, wearing it in the stable is very different from in a field, makes it more likely he will come right if you end up keeping him.

MadBlackLab

Visit site
well we could not do much worse than
some of you lot on hear could we. That poor girl being in your hands.And some really nice people nice
on hear to.Least me and this person are honest.Not two faced
hipercrites like some of you . And dont threaten me quirky for proving these people to be the
hipercrites they are.Some people take advice seriously that is given to them
I wont put up with people giving me s***.When iam trying to help
I have been there done that got the T shirt. Not some no it all kid

OMG what hole did you come from. So you don't agree with some of the opinions on here doesn't mean we hypocrites. Fair enough you may have had to PTS a horse for behaviour issues but each situation is different and can be handled differently.

What is wrong with everyone this week jumping on high horses and being rude to anyone with a difference of an opinion. What's wrong with some of the youth today

minwood

Visit site
Hi, similar thing happened to my sister but with 2 that she got from a breeder. They had a fright when the hunt suddenly turned up without warning, they cleared fence one legged it and grazed the other bolted down the lane, on to a busy main road for 4 miles and into the next village. She was found shaking between a scaffolding lorry and a double decker bus... But fine!!! They weren't turned out for a week after the incident and then only for an hour or so and now they are fine left all day- but has taken time!!!The one who bolted was bad mannered ridden and on the ground,but with perseverance and constant schooling- which is what she needed, is an angel now! :)

digitalangel

Visit site
I nearly dropped my phone in the bath when I read this ! I hope they have me confused with another breeder because this breeder was certainly alive and well and right in front of me on Sunday and I wasn't at a hospital I was in their yard ! I have the sales receipt which is signed by him ad his name printed .

Secondly noone had contacted me to say that tey will take the horse back I haven't blocked then on fb an I'm guessing they still have by number in their phone .

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
I nearly dropped my phone in the bath when I read this ! I hope they have me confused with another breeder because this breeder was certainly alive and well and right in front of me on Sunday and I wasn't at a hospital I was in their yard ! I have the sales receipt which is signed by him ad his name printed .

Secondly noone had contacted me to say that tey will take the horse back I haven't blocked then on fb an I'm guessing they still have by number in their phone .

Oh, what nearly made you drop your phone in the bath?? Replying with a quote sometimes makes things easier to follow.

digitalangel

Visit site
The more I think about amy mays post the more angry I get . If this is the case why has nobody pmed me with this story ? I can I Lu think that there are bored people out there wanting to meddle and cause drama . I have a receipt from the guy signed by the guy dated Sunday and 4 witnesses to say he was there alive and well ! No way was he In Hospital . I sincerely hope you are its a vase of mistaken identity Amymay but if you think not then name ad shame these posters !

digitalangel

Visit site
Oh, what nearly made you drop your phone in the bath?? Replying with a quote sometimes makes things easier to follow.

Well you should know OP that according to a couple of posters the breeder was in hospital on Friday (where he remains). An offer has also apparently been made to take the horse back - once the daughter has arrived to take over management of the yard.

Sorry on my phone hope this helps for context

Spring Feather

Visit site

So why don't these posters post on this thread? From what DA has said, it's mistaken identity though.

digitalangel

Visit site
Sorry should have been more clear about the issue re rugs the first night he was t in stable was in my turnout pen as he was completely chilled with the rugs SI far . That of course doesn't mean they didn't spook him but I think it was probably more likely the nasty fall into the fence taking the post out with him which likely zapped him and caused the bolt . When I got him home he was soaked to the bone and I was forced to put him in a sweat rug as I did not want to risk a chill . It came off once he was dry ad he's been unrugged since . But of all the things that have happened hea been surprisingly good about rugging and loading .

Heaven27

New User
Visit site
lets see..

he signed the receipt to say that sold as tried, not seen alot of traffic.
they said the horse was well behaved in turnout would go out with anything, was fenced with post and electric, had not ever bolted bucked reared or bitten. They said he was safe just hadnt done a lot. the worst thing he had ever done was put his head up which is why he was ridden in a martingale. he was in a snaffle bit and gp saddle and a martingale and a cavesson noseband. hes not strong to ride. It was only when i asked specifically about tying him up they said that hes never tied up and when i asked his rug size they said hes never worn a rug.

By reading your earlier posts and especially the one above i think you have made the point clear yourself:
1. As other people have said too.... it is early days, give the horse a chance to settle in (my horse took months to settle in).
2. If he has never had a rug on, i think that maybe your problem too.
3. If the horse was that bad and difficult do you think the breeder would have kept him for 7 years.

Maybe you should give the horse a chance!

digitalangel

Visit site
Um thanks . He's still here and I didn't spend hours with him today to not give him a chance ;) I doubt the rug is the issue having replayed it over and over in my head I think it was the fall into the fence that escalated everything . but thank you for all your points anyway !

And re the other post I am Gobsmacked .

MiniMilton

Visit site
If he was rugged for the first time and this was the cause of the panic, then this is great news. At least there is a reason for the over reaction.

I had a silly mare that I spent time putting rug on, she was happy in it, and then didnt seem bothered at all going out into the field. Going through the gateway the rug rubbed against the gate making a noise, terrifying her and causing a freak accident where she seriously over reacted and the bolt of the gate badly punctured her abdomen. Needless to say I never put a rug on her again.

If the horse was settled in stable with rug, settled in field with rug, but then the upset of changing field caused him to run, then this scary thing in his back causing the bolt. It's sounding more promising than I first thought. It's still a huge over reaction by the horse, but at least if there is a reason it gives you something to work on. I wish you and the horse the the very best of luck whichever route you take

MiniMilton

Visit site
Sorry my post crossed with yours. If you don't think its the rug, and as you are the only one to actually witness the incident, then you are most likely right. I'd avoid a rug for the first few times Turing him out though, just to be sure

hoggedmane

Visit site
7 years ago a pony I know bolted through a set of slip rails and two post and rail fences after being scared by her rider falling off of her. She was in a right state when caught and took a while to calm down again. She has never done this again. Something happened to trigger her flight response and she was also in a new home so less secure in the people and surroundings. She is really sweet and a lovely pony although slightly sensitive. I haven't read all the replies but it seems like you are giving him a chance and that may work.

lizbet

Visit site
No you don't, but it does happen on here very frequently! There are some people that have their little followers and once one thing gets said all the little sheep follow! People hide behind the Internet to be nasty. But like I also said there are some good knowledgable people on here that are genuine!
Thankyou

lizbet

Visit site
Everyone, just ignore lizbet's posts, she'll get bored eventually and go off and invent another new persona to wind people up.

DA, all the best, take care and stay safe.
Board omg iam board no wounder you are old nags and done
42,000post.42,000posts.who the hell has time for that old nags.
No wounder its been 20years and you still cant get shoes on your
horse.Thats why you have to have them all pts with problem.You have
not got time to deal with them.You are all to busy clique on hear.
Bet none of you are going hunting or olympia or just been to hoys
nothing on the competing section none of your names anyway.Well i would
Rather be with my family and horse than talk rubbish with rubbish
On hear what a waste of a week looking at this rubbish.42,000posts
who does that.Brain dead zombies

Goldenstar

Visit site
Board omg iam board no wounder you are old nags and done
42,000post.42,000posts.who the hell has time for that old nags.
No wounder its been 20years and you still cant get shoes on your
horse.Thats why you have to have them all pts with problem.You have
not got time to deal with them.You are all to busy clique on hear.
Bet none of you are going hunting or olympia or just been to hoys
nothing on the competing section none of your names anyway.Well i would
Rather be with my family and horse than talk rubbish with rubbish
On hear what a waste of a week looking at this rubbish.42,000posts
who does that.Brain dead zombies

Good heavens !!!!!!!!!!!