Horse prejudice.

toppedoff

Visit site
Him " 'ere, your horse has no 'oofs on. "

Me. You are quite right sir, my horse is barefoot.

Him. " er, are you some sort of environmentalist and don't like farriers cos of global warming ?"

Me. *surprised pikachu face*
this too! idk why theres such a stigma with barefoot, this comes from inside the eq world too - mainly has died down now but still found it odd

Pinkvboots

Visit site
off topic but i love your horses name, Arabi!
Thanks it's just Arab in Arabic his full name is ROE Arabi which is just the stud prefix, the breeder let's his kids name them out of a list of names and the mares have a letter allocated to them and all there foals start with that letter quite cool really 😎

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I love that people think they don't want arabs (usually having never, or barely ever, ridden one), it keeps the prices down. You have to pay double for a far less easy, useful horse, lol.

I'm a total snob, I don't like anything that isn't light, easy and keen on carrying itself.
Thats so right about how they ride I don't think you can beat it mine are so light in the hand, I really feel it if I get on something that is heavy or leans on you.

I've been very spoilt😁

marmalade76

Visit site
A lot of people comment that Arabs are flighty and easily spooked.

I usually point out that, since they have nearly 4000 years of historical use as war horses, I feel that’s most likely a rider issue.

It's been a while since I read it but I think there was a bit in a book I have about the Byerley Turk about how they would throw stones and things at the youngsters to teach them to dodge things in battle so it sounds like this was flighty & spookiness was actively encouraged.

Sealine

Visit site
Coloured and feathered ponies were considered coarse and common. How the tables have turned!

We must be the same age 😀 when looking to buy 14 years ago I didn’t want a coloured but I bought a 16.1 coloured cob cross who was a bogof from a 14.2 cob for his previous owner. I’ve been asked where my milk float is and overheard people out hunting say ‘avoid getting stuck behind that’. They all change their tune when they get to know him and what he’s capable of. He was fully clipped when I bought him but I was warned he had a lot of feather.

ETA I guess his sire was a standard bred so to some he is a complete no no 😂

Chianti

Visit site
I don't know about prejudice but people can be very condescending/patronizing about adults riding ponies. I'm 'mature' and have a mini cob gelding. He's mainly white with a few black patches. Dressage diva comes up towards me on the yard drive as I'm hacking out alone says ' Oh, you two are just so cute together'. Dressage diva has a proper bay dressage horse that she's too frightened to hack out alone so he spends most of his life in the school.

cauda equina

Visit site
I don't know about prejudice but people can be very condescending/patronizing about adults riding ponies. I'm 'mature' and have a mini cob gelding. He's mainly white with a few black patches. Dressage diva comes up towards me on the yard drive as I'm hacking out alone says ' Oh, you two are just so cute together'. Dressage diva has a proper bay dressage horse that she's too frightened to hack out alone so he spends most of his life in the school.
I wonder who has more fun, you or her

Chianti

Visit site
I wonder who has more fun, you or her
Pretty sure it's me as I can ride and still think what I need when I go shopping- no stress. I feel sorry for the dressage horse as he's wrapped in cotton wool in terms of care but then wears a tight flash noseband for when he's doing ever decreasing circles in the school.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I wouldn't have a grey as all the greys I know have sarcoids or melanomas. I also don't like cobs but that's personal to me. I like my finer breeds. I would only say I dislike a horse if its dangerous to handle, otherwise live and let live!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
yep and throw covid i was on a couple of random facebook pages for sanity,

if you pop i picture of a field full of cow ponies (precovid) and point out how much in the UK or Ireland, the Americans get a bit snippy

they are not "cow" ponies.........the breed is "Gypsy"

lirh973ab2gks5ay86.png

Gypsy Vanner​

gypsy vanner running on the farm

Cost: $4,000 – $30,000

Purebred Gypsy Vanner horses turn heads wherever they go. Originally bred to be the perfect carriage horse for Irish travelers, these horses came to the US in the 1990s and now perform in a variety of disciplines.

Because these horses are fairly new to the United States, they can be costly and hard to find. Registered unbroken foals and youngsters tend to start around $4,000 on EquineNow.

The Gypsy thing bugs me. My YO in the US has a bunch of them and I call them cobs when she's not within earshot 🤣

She's convinced she's sitting on a goldmine of quality horses. Some of them are nicely put together for what they are, and a few are friendly, but I generally find them to be bargey and nosey. Most aren't backed, and are hardly handled, but allegedly are great horses who wouldn't put a foot wrong (how would you know if you don't do or ask anything of them?!).

Don't get me started on the "Gypsian" thing 🙄

I mean, it's whatever you're into, but it all seems so inflated.

toppedoff

Visit site
The Gypsy thing bugs me. My YO in the US has a bunch of them and I call them cobs when she's not within earshot 🤣

She's convinced she's sitting on a goldmine of quality horses. Some of them are nicely put together for what they are, and a few are friendly, but I generally find them to be bargey and nosey. Most aren't backed, and are hardly handled, but allegedly are great horses who wouldn't put a foot wrong (how would you know if you don't do or ask anything of them?!).

Don't get me started on the "Gypsian" thing 🙄

I mean, it's whatever you're into, but it all seems so inflated.
what do they use them for in the US? is it trail riding?

SEL

Visit site
One of mine is 13h and more hair than pony - she's great fun. I'm sure I get some odd looks but I'm too busy enjoying my real life thelwell

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
what do they use them for in the US? is it trail riding?

Wish I could tell you because most of the ones the I've known don't do anything aside from mow the fields and reproduce 🤣

basically showing dressage and what we do in the UK, just not many so expensive

On a more serious note, basically this. I've not seen many at all at dressage shows so I'm assuming they're mostly at lower levels and unaffiliated. They also do driving competitions too as well as their own in-hand stuff. Some are owned as low level all arounders. But I swear most people that own them just look at them 🤣 may depend on the area!

eahotson

Visit site
I have a heavy weight cob.I absolutely get that she is not everyones cup of tea.Name any horse that is.She does have lovely paces though amongst many things and the snobbery I find among people that think the only "real horse" is a warm blood is astounding.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
After my warmblood was pts and I got Beau, I had people saying p***y horse as they went past. It was a very KWPN dressage yard. I moved very soon afterwards.

A mate has just bought a Brabant and was talking about doing dressage and I was like ‘Good luck, she’s too square/you won’t get far’ but she only wants to do local stuff and to be fair, the horse moves beautifully. I’m probably just jealous, she’s beautiful.

nagblagger

Visit site
Wow, just wondering whether i should change my avatar? A white horse who is a cob that not many people like, leads to another question, do you judge people on their avatar?

I can say i have had an Arab, (my first heart horse) TBs, NFs, shitland, warmblood and welshes, the ones i really don't like have nothing to do do with their breed or colour, but their temperament. The worse one i ever 'accommodated' was a Friesian X who would kick out for no reason or warning, totally untrustworthy.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
my mums friend got denied livery space because her horse is a coloured cob they said they dont want to look like a travellers site
Yet on New Rider (I think the owner is on here but super quiet), there was someone with 2 coloured cobs and the yard owner only wanted this type on the yard so she could enjoy looking at them from the window!
Coloureds, traditional and non hairy are blooming expensive in the US and in the southern hemisphere.
I tried to persuade my OH we should move to Canada and start a breeding programme! He said they‘d be eaten by bears. 🤣🙈

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
Wow, just wondering whether i should change my avatar? A white horse who is a cob that not many people like, leads to another question, do you judge people on their avatar?

I can say i have had an Arab, (my first heart horse) TBs, NFs, shitland, warmblood and welshes, the ones i really don't like have nothing to do do with their breed or colour, but their temperament. The worse one i ever 'accommodated' was a Friesian X who would kick out for no reason or warning, totally untrustworthy.
My avatar is a mule, make of it what you will.

MuddyMonster

Visit site

One of mine is 13h and more hair than pony - she's great fun. I'm sure I get some odd looks but I'm too busy enjoying my real life thelwell

Yes & yes!

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate all horses but I do often feel the patronising. Often from people that require a foot soldier to go to the end of the drive on their flashy sports model ;) (Not that there's anything wrong with needing a foot soldier - just perhaps don't patronise others that are out doing stuff without one if you do!)

I fully admit mine is short, fluffy when not clipped out and is probably best described as an economical mover but I can take him on a 20 mile solo hack on our own one day, take him out Trec/jumping/dressage *insert discipline of choice here* another day and ride him to the pub or for a picnic in between. He will turn his small, fluffy legged hooves to it all without much fuss or fanfare (in return for numerous treats, obvs).

Plus, he's small enough to dodge the low branches out hacking and get on from the ground when you've needed to do a wild wee after a Pimms at the pub :D Priceless!

Last edited:

eahotson

Visit site
Yes & yes!

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate all horses but I do often feel the patronising. Often from people that require a foot soldier to go to the end of the drive on their flashy sports model ;) (Not that there's anything wrong with needing a foot soldier - just perhaps don't patronise others that are out doing stuff without one if you do!)

I fully admit mine is short, fluffy when not clipped out and is described as an economical mover but I can take him on a 20 mile solo hack on our own one day, take him out Trec/jumping/dressage *insert discipline of choice here* another day and ride him to the pub or for a picnic in between. He will turn his small, fluffy legged hooves to it all without much fuss or fanfare (in return for numerous treats, obvs).

Plus, he's small enough to dodge the low branches out hacking and get on from the ground when you've needed to do a wild wee after a Pimms at the pub :D Priceless!
He sounds wonderful.

Fjord

Visit site
I think I've been lucky, my horsey friends are not judgy of the fact I freely admit I can't ride one half of a 'proper' horse and prefer small hairy ponies. People do use the term 'cute', when referring to Bobbi, which makes me feel about 12. 🙄

Visit site
In Shetland Showing (and I am sure at some point the PC brigade will catch us up 🙄) we have 3 main sections. Blacks, Coloureds and Minis. Minis can be any colour. Standards any colour that isn't Black is deemed Coloured - bay, grey, chestnut, piebald, skewbald etc are all deemed to be coloured.

Now when Showing Shetlands there is sometimes still a lot of bias against anything that isn't Black. And often it is a case of - if it isn't black you had better hope it's chestnut. If it's not chestnut you had better hope it'd bay. If it's not bay you had better hope it was grey. You just don't show a standard multicoloured.

I met with this prejudice quite a lot with The Wee Coloured Job. I stood Champion at a show and the reserve said to me in the ring "I don't like your pony because I don't like it's colour." Grand! On you go! The judge clearly didn't mind that he was a well marked, correct skewbald stallion.

I had someone ask me once when I was judging "so is it actually OK to place a Coloured pony above a black in a Standard Shetland class? It's not against the rules?" They were questioning why I put a chestnut 1st and a black 2nd 🙄 I also told 5 people that day that their ponies were last because they were too too fat.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
When we were first into spotties/appaloosas the prejudice was appalling. You could guarantee a spotted would be bottom of the line regardless of its quality in a showing class. They have come along way since then. I was out hunting in the 60's on one of the RS ponies, a chestnut with white on his quarters. At the meet I was across the road from the Hunt Secretary and his horse was fascinated by my boy. HS commented about this to the woman next to him and her reply was 'oh he likes donkeys does he'. HS took the trouble to come up alongside me later on and say what a lovely pony mine was, he was a very kind man. He was a cracking pony, would jump anything you put him at.
A friend had a little chocolate coloured with white on his quarters, a very square pony, only 13hhs , short necked, in fact short all over but he had a phenomenal jump. She was competing at a show somewhere, might have been in Junior Foxhunter, can't remember. There was a girl there making derogatory comments about him so she said nothing just turned him round and popped him over a 4' jump. Very satisfying.

Visit site
When we were first into spotties/appaloosas the prejudice was appalling. You could guarantee a spotted would be bottom of the line regardless of its quality in a showing class. They have come along way since then. I was out hunting in the 60's on one of the RS ponies, a chestnut with white on his quarters. At the meet I was across the road from the Hunt Secretary and his horse was fascinated by my boy. HS commented about this to the woman next to him and her reply was 'oh he likes donkeys does he'. HS took the trouble to come up alongside me later on and say what a lovely pony mine was, he was a very kind man. He was a cracking pony, would jump anything you put him at.
A friend had a little chocolate coloured with white on his quarters, a very square pony, only 13hhs , short necked, in fact short all over but he had a phenomenal jump. She was competing at a show somewhere, might have been in Junior Foxhunter, can't remember. There was a girl there making derogatory comments about him so she said nothing just turned him round and popped him over a 4' jump. Very satisfying.

To be honest I despise spotteds. I think they are hideous. BUT I did have one Reserve Champion of a section I was judging once. He didn't put a foot wrong.