Horse/yard pet hates

Thelwell_Girl

Visit site
I have searched my thread over and over and can find no trace of those words! :confused::D

Simple fact is, I prefer a child free yard........

I know you didn't have those words in your post, it was s'posed to be tongue-in-cheek as there's been quite a few posts recently criticising behaviour of teens on yards which ignore the well-behaved, considerate ones!

*runs off to mess up the yard and cause general havoc :D*

ChunkyMonkey25

Visit site
My biggest has got to be the people that ride their horses for ages and hard (particularly in this weather) and then jump off and spray it with a freezing cold hose!!!! how long does it take to boil a kettle to make the water warm or leave a bucket in the sun whilst you're riding to take the chill off of it? Poor ponies muscles!!

Serephin

Visit site
Hmmm, my pet hate would be (after the day I had yesterday) people who know feck all about horses trying to control and dictate what everybody else does. Would that come under politics? I dunno, but I am close to dunking her head in a water bucket.

ebonyallen

Visit site
Oh where to start, people who do not clear up their mess, leave droppings on yard, do not tidy the muck heap,borrow and do not return, talk aload of sxxx to others when they have not got a clue, plus all of the above quotes, could go on lol x

minkymoo

Visit site
Normally, I would say other people. But I have to be honest, now I've moved yards, I don't have to put up with the things I hate:

the young girls (kids) running around and screaming their heads off

the kids (young girls) leaving crisp/sweet wrappers in the school

people leaving the jumps up after jumping and not bothering to put them away leaving no room to school

not bothering to pick up your poop in the school after you've finished

other people constantly interfering one way or the other

people tying their horse up on a long lead rope, dumping the hay on the floor and then being really surprised when the horse gets it's foot caught up and panics

but I don't have an if these issues at my new yard! And I've gone from PL to DIY! Better!!

flojo1

Visit site
Heh what a great post! Don't horsey people love a good moan, I can't resist joining in!
1. know-it-alls that don't actually know it all!
2. Riders who "fiddle" and "saw" at the horses mouth and then think it is going well because its head and neck are curved into an "outline"
3. Rich/spoilt children who have no idea how to actually look after their pony proberly
4. owners that are scared of their horses but won't do anything to try help the situation
5. people who feed their horses way to much hard feed for the kind of work they are doing and wonder why its legs look like tree trunks.
6. people who jump to the conclusion you are rich just becasue you have a horse when actually you are poor because you have a horse!
7. people who don't know the "rules of the school" in a warm up areana.

Last edited:

Miss.Geek

Visit site
I have only been on a livery yard for about 9 months. Before then I had one at home, but with family now living in the states I don't have one anymore. I have two little ponies that stay out of the way and because my boyfriends mum owns the yard I was allowed to keep them there.

Since I have been there the following things bug me so much -
* people thinking they know my ponies better than I do and giving me 'advice' on something they know nothing about - I have had one of them for 24 years
* people who treat you like you know nothing because of your age - this happens all the time to me!! damn my baby face! It doesn't matter that I have been riding for 24 years and had horses for the same amount of time
* people taking my ponies out of their field to brush them, check them for lice or to rub them with baby oil!! - I can do this myself, I know what lice look like and rubbing baby oil onto a pony that is allergic to everything isn’t a clever idea!
* people thinking my ponies can be used by anyone and having children hack them out while I am on holiday – this is just plain rude, I am not allowed to touch their animals!
* people bitching about other people's ponies and horses
* people bitching about how much hay/feed some animals get - if it is different to how they do it
* people who bring their dogs down the yard and let them run riot and poop everywhere, then never clear up after them. I love poo picking my fields to find them full of dog muck
* people who don't sweep up after themselves
* people who don't tidy the muck heap and when the trailer is 'full' they leave their wheelbarrows by the side of the trailer as they cannot be bothered to fit it on. I then go down and tidy the muckheap and make room for all their full barrows.
* people who don't pick up after their horse when they have used the school
* people who don't rake the school after they have used it
* people who show off by buying expensive tack, horse, lorries etc and then can't ride their horses
* people who lie about how good they are and what they can do

When I first moved my ponies there after they had come back off loan I kept myself to myself but as I know the YOs really well I would always help out with their horses – muck them out, turn them out, bring them in, do their feed and hay etc. I have never once told anyone what I used to do or even that I could ride. I am not the sort to brag and I would rather let the horses do the talking for me!! :)

ThePony

Visit site
oh dear, I thought I was happy and chilled out, but reading this thread I keep reading things that bug me! Seems I am a closet grumpy old bat!

My pet peeves (most with no justification at all, sorry!!).
People who take hay from the top of the bale, would much rather a slice is peeled off - tidyer and easier for the next person!
When all the horrible plastic netting stuff isn't taken off said bale of hay before it is used - always makes me so nervous of feeding some.
People who think I am less of a person/rider or who think my horse is rubbish because competing stresses me silly so I tend not to do much.
Over bitting - hauling on a 4 ring gag and kicking and whiping your trudgy way around suggests to me that stopping isn't the issue!
Hay being dragged over my lovely swept yard that isn't then cleared up!
When a horse starts doing something different - eg having trouble with certain transitions - and it is assumed the horse is messing it up for some reason known only to them, rather than considering that there is probably a very good reason for the change in behaviour and getting it checked out!
When people judge other peoples riding ability on the worth of their horse and how much flashy kit they have.
People who make themselves comfortable after a ride or travelling a horse, rather than attending to the horse first. You come last, the horse comes first!

Oh dear, I am such a cow! Must chill out (or at least remember to keep my grumpy thoughts to myself!!!).

Puppy

Visit site
Ah, the joy of having my own yard... :D :D

My pet hate would be people who spend all their time and energy finding fault with other liveries way of doing things - badger off and see to your own horse! :D :D

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm a YO and what has really got my grist in the past is people who (1) know it all (when actually they don't!) and (2) people who come in and upset professionals like the vet and farrier which makes it difficult for everyone else; oh and (3) people who think its funny to turn out their horses in wet weather who then go tanking around the fields cutting up the ground for everyone elses to graze; (4) interfering people who go and move electric fencing when its been put up for good reason i.e. a laminitic/sweet itch etc; (5) people who leave hair blowing around and getting in the drainage system after clipping ...... I'll probably think of some more!!!

Crackajack

Visit site
Hmmm, my pet hate would be (after the day I had yesterday) people who know feck all about horses trying to control and dictate what everybody else does. Would that come under politics? I dunno, but I am close to dunking her head in a water bucket.

lmao
Now i have thought of that before but never done it....lol...let me know if you do....need a giggle :)

guccigivi2001

Visit site
i ahve to say i hav a few :p
pushy parents :mad: dad happens to be one and hes the most unhorsey person on the planet but i suppose also one track mind as has been in the marines for26 yrs
people borrowing stuff and not putting it back
people using my wheel barrow and leaving it in the middle of the yard full to the brim so i can empty it after trailing up vertical wall of muck
people nit picking and being bitchy about riding or looking dwn thier noses at your grey horse because it decided it wanted to plaster itself in mud
people buying horses they cant handle to show off (said hate newly aquired, 16 yr old girl with dartmoor pony who is incaple of dragging her ar*e up the yard to muck out feed or put it out has just brought a 5yr old kwpn lord only knows why!)
said 16 yr old girl taking tools out of wheel barrow just as im about to move horse out of stable to muck out so she can poo pick stable and dump it in soon-to-be overflowing wheel barrow without asking when own tools&wheel barrow just across the yard
people getting hay/haylage for horse and leaving string/hay/haylage/wrapping/haynet etc etc on the floor of overcrowded hay store with mouse&rat problem
once we also had a woman who insisted on putting my spanking new saddle on the floor so she could use saddlerack we had to put up and put her numnahs on her own
ohh and people who whack stonger bits in their horses mouth to try and 'correct' a problem without a single attempt to correct it properly
and people who judge my horse because of certain mad traits she possesses occasionally :rolleyes:
ill come up with some more later, beware this could turn into a bit of a rant :D

guccigivi2001

Visit site
oh and people who think, depsite being quite responsible and doing everything i can for horse and her being well looked after and for tidying up after inconsiderate liveries and helping out etc, because im 16 im stupid and dont know whats best for my beloved horse and dont have the right to an opinion like whether or not i want my horse to go out am/pm when we have to restrict turnout and because im the youngest everything that goes wrong happens to be my fault!

Crackajack

Visit site
ohh and people who whack stonger bits in their horses mouth to try and 'correct' a problem without a single attempt to correct it properly
and people who judge my horse because of certain mad traits she possesses occasionally :rolleyes:
ill come up with some more later, beware this could turn into a bit of a rant :D

Yep hunni - people will continue to judge you because of the "unique traits" that your horse has...mine has too :)
Thats what gives them personality imo :)
Don't worry mine kinda ended up in a rant too lol :D

Miss.Geek

Visit site
oh and people who think, depsite being quite responsible and doing everything i can for horse and her being well looked after and for tidying up after inconsiderate liveries and helping out etc, because im 16 im stupid and dont know whats best for my beloved horse and dont have the right to an opinion like whether or not i want my horse to go out am/pm when we have to restrict turnout and because im the youngest everything that goes wrong happens to be my fault!

Yeah I get that as well but I'm a bit older than 16 now ;)

katemiddleton

Visit site
Turning up at the yard the yard to find my mare's smart new zealand (nearly new!!) full neck rug not hung neatly up where I left it - but on another horse, with a tear in the neck - without asking!!! Just assuming everything can be borrowed, breaking it, then not repairing or replacing it!!! Rude!!

teabag

Visit site
My current one - not horsey but related to the brew cabin at the yard-

People happily using all the milk, teabags and sugar I have brought and not contributing to the supplies or leaving any for me to have a cup of tea when I get back from riding. GRRRRR!!

On Tuesday night I took 4 pints of milk down and put them in the fridge (too much at home to use). Wednesday night I got back from a 3hr ride looking forward to a cup of tea - no milk - AAAAGH! MY OH left me a slice of chocolate cake in the fridge which I left til yesterday so I could have it with a cup of tea.

Yesterday I got there and some thieving git had eaten my chocolate cake. UNBELIEVABLE!

teabag

Visit site
After my rant, a more general one.

All the gear and no idea. Those that think they know everything, have all the gear, have read a book or two, and wish to tell you all that you're not doing right. When actually they have ruined three perfectly good horses already and are just starting on their fourth. The others were no good, obviously.

Saucisson

Visit site
Generaly, I consider myself to be quite laid back, then I got thinking........

Spoilt brats who just thrash their poor horses/ponys around the showjumping circuit but never seem to actually do any real work with the horse. For example, OH set up a brilliant grid/horsey obstacle course with poles, caveletti and small jumps in the riding school (small horse LOVES it!) – went back the next day and said brats have hiked the jumps up to 1.2m and taken out the poles. Because didn't you know that the higher you jump, the better rider you are? :rolleyes:

People who bang on about going to competitions etc but are too scared to hack their horses out (we have a lovely big wood next to the yard, can count the number that hack out regularly on two hands..........out of a yard of over 100 horses).

Warm-up rings – when a massive gang comes in (sometimes all in matching t-shirts) to make sure that they have complete control of practice jumps by sheer weight of numbers. :mad:

The English – rock up in their posh, expensive trucks and proceed to talk as loudly as they can SO EVERYONE KNOWS THEY'RE ENGLISH about how it's DIFFERENT HERE TO ENGLAND and make zero effort to engage with anyone else because THEY'RE NOT ENGLISH. They really need to realise that most people here speak very good English and can understand when they're country is being slated. (Obviously not all – but quite a few)

The Dutch – how can they afford such nice trucks???? Let's all move to Holland and buy a truck with a bar and a sauna :D

Katie

Visit site
i don't know any, the people on the yard where i ride a pony is sensible :D, but people who jump really high to show off every day, or just fool around in their 'schooling session' every time to show off

People who take their horses to a show, misbehave in the warm up (ie rear, bucks, lots of spooking not just one spook or small buck) and don't seem the least bothered!

Snobs with showjumpers who think they're just amazing because of their expensive things! Again don't know or seen any put seen plenty on forums.

People entering a Prelim test when their horse looks more suited to Elementary/Medium

Another forum thing i've seen, 'i went to a show yesterday, i got eliminated at the first fence for 2 refusals it was my fault/he spooked at the jump' if it was me i'd try and fix the problem, but person says the next week the exactly same thing after another show!!

Last edited:

tinkandlily

Visit site
OOOOH i have just thought of another one, people buying another horse and forgetting the first one. Last winter a girl on my yard had a 4 yr old who she backed herself, then decided to get a yearling friesian. Her horse wasa full clipped (in the dead of winter), and we went out for a long hack. Her horse was sweating buckets when we got back and she just shoved her in an empty stable, with no bedding, no haynet, water or a sweat rug and took the yearling for a walk, when i'd finished my horse i walked past to find her horse shivering her a**s off, so i put a rug on it, when this girl returned she told me off for putting the wrong one on her!!

katie_and_toto

Visit site
Horses kicking the door

People telling you that you're doing something wrong, when you actually are right.

At shows, when people enter the 2ft, then the 2ft3, and the 2ft 6, and the 2ft 9 and finally the 3ft. WHY? You blatently can jump 2ft 6 easily so why beat everyone is all the classes first?? Grrrr

Achinghips

Visit site
Seagull Liveries = Those who fly in, make a lot of attention seeking noise, **** over everything and then leave.

Sheri

Visit site
Leaving gates open: the yard gate, and the one that leads up to the forestry. It drives me crazy its so dangerous

Not picking up nails after the farrier: Esp when they have had them done outside someone else's stable!

People ordering hay/straw etc and then not being around for delivery not just once but everytime!

Oh and people using my tools & wheelbarrow then putting them back damaged.

Last edited:

benson21

Visit site
When there are 2 or 3 people on the yard with such a tight friendship, when just 1 is there they are happy to speak to you, when another turns up you are ignored. and that is intimidating.