Horses and Alpacas?

DonskiWA

Visit site
I run a very small, private livery yard. There are a couple of long termers, but more often it is short term holiday agistment.
There are large areas of unfenced common areas which require constant mowing.
I would like to buy 4 Alpacas to be pets and lawn mowers.
For anyone with experience, how would the horses react to them? I would guess the long term horses would get used to them in time, but I’d hate for a short stay horse to freak out and hurt themselves.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
There used to be some that lived down the lane from me. My chestnut mare was petrified to start with but did get better. The two Arabs were fine right from the start. So depends on the horse IME. Sorry, not the most helpful answer.

Surbie

Visit site
We had them in a field next to my first yard's outdoor. They have a very distinctive smell iirc. My horse did a full body snort the first time he saw them marching out behind the school, but after that was absolutely fine, even hacking past their stables.

nutjob

Visit site
There are some near me, one of my horses absolutely panicked the first time he saw them, spun and set of at a gallop. He was physically shaking so definitely very frightened. He did get used to them eventually. The other one isn't bothered at all.

Parrotperson

Visit site
Have you thought about sheep? Far easier imho. Alpaca also need shearing and boy is it a palaver. That’s if you can find someone to do it for you. I doubt you’d be able to do it yourself as you have to tie them down to do it.

plus they get TB. Which has obvious consequences.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I dont like alpacas at all. They never seem to get friendly and are a huge pain to handle. I cant say I ever noticed any sort of personality either. Sheep on the other hand can become really tame and easy to handle. One of mine is like a big dog and runs over to be fussed.

Mine were turned out with alpacas and never seemed to notice them.

paddy555

Visit site
For anyone with experience, how would the horses react to them?

very fast and in the opposite direction. If I had to keep mine near alpacas I would introduce them very slowly and carefully. I wouldn't put them with alpacas just for a short term stay. By the time they got used to them it would be time to go home.

Couldn't you have some nice sheep? they would be much nicer and easier. I agree with I'mDun's comments. I really don't like them at all.

Even better if you don't have a TB problem in your area what about a couple of older cows. Superb creatures, very friendly and easy to handle. (obviously choosing a suitable breed)

Nasicus

Visit site
I have to hack along a stretch that has Pigs, immediately followed by Alpacas, immediately followed by Miniature Ponies. The Alpacas are the only ones my pony doesn't lose her absolute nut over!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I ride past alpacas and after the first time when he stopped and stared they were no bother. Unlike the emus we had to pass at an old place which caused ructions.

maya2008

Visit site
Mine have alpacas in the neighbouring field. Initial terror on moving in, soon faded to nothing. They don’t care about them now.

Rokele55

Visit site
I have known horses with a sheep phobia. Also known horses that kill sheep for fun. It is all fraught with danger so I would just get what you fancy! Except pigs.

eggs

Visit site
Sheep can be quite high maintenance too. My mare grew up on a sheep farm and I was told not to turn her out with them as she would kill them.

One of my other horses met sheep for the first time earlier in the year and tried very hard to spin and run in the opposite direction.

I believe alpacas make good guards from the fox if you have chickens.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the alpacas that we have to ride past to go on a decent hack chase the horses up the fence line. so i hate them! mine have all been quite frightened by the experience, understandably :p

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I wouldn't keep Alpacas they are not very nice and sheep I don't mind but not easiest to keep they escape and some horses are terrified or some really dislike them but I think I would rather have sheep.

Ratface

Visit site
There used to be some that lived down the lane from me. My chestnut mare was petrified to start with but did get better. The two Arabs were fine right from the start. So depends on the horse IME. Sorry, not the most helpful answer.
I stabled my old Arab just down the road from a herd of alpacas. The first time we hacked past them, they came over to have a look. Arab promptly grew another two hands , stopped dead and refused to move. I sat there. The Mexican stand-off lasted about five minutes. Arab and alpacas both decided that they were now bored and both wandered off.
Neither species ever glanced or stopped again.

Madali

Visit site
My two horses killed an alpaca that was in the field with them. They cornered it and kicked it to death.
Very strange as both are gentle creatures that have never hurt another animal, including my border collie who rounds them up all day long.
The farmer that owned him thought it might have been as he was a runt and they hand reared him, the horses felt he weakened the herd.
Needless to say this did nothing to make me feel better about the situation

Orangehorse

Visit site
If I were you, I would rent out the grass to someone who has sheep. Then you don't have to look after them.
Sheep are prone to many illnesses, and can just die for no apparent reason, and always need their feet looking after. There are some breeds that are a bit more hardy and don't have the feet/health problems.

Someone near here had some alpacas for a wedding present! They wanted them to protect their sheep from foxes, which I think works quite well. My horse was rather alarmed the first time he saw them - giant sheep!

Orangehorse

Visit site
My two horses killed an alpaca that was in the field with them. They cornered it and kicked it to death.
Very strange as both are gentle creatures that have never hurt another animal, including my border collie who rounds them up all day long.
The farmer that owned him thought it might have been as he was a runt and they hand reared him, the horses felt he weakened the herd.
Needless to say this did nothing to make me feel better about the situation
Oh no! What about the bill for the dead one?

hobo

Visit site
I have to hack along a stretch that has Pigs, immediately followed by Alpacas, immediately followed by Miniature Ponies. The Alpacas are the only ones my pony doesn't lose her absolute nut over!

Sorry your post made me laugh sounds like a lane of horror. We had ostrich's to past several years ago that is the only thing missing from your ride.

Lurfy

Visit site
There are 2 llamas (larger than alpacas) where I keep my horse. They guard the sheep which are in the paddock next to the horses. When we first moved there my horse was freaked out, but soon adjusted to them. The only time he flipped out was when one of them stood in the water trough on a hot day near the fence we were passing by. He leapt in the air, but recovered quickly. They sometimes canter when the sheep are being moved, it is quite a sight. They seem bolder and more curious than sheep, I quite like them. People keep them as pets on small farms too.

vhf

Visit site
Until recently I had 2 alpacas and 2 horses. Older mare was disgusted by the very thought of the alpacas, eventually decided to pretend they didn't exist. The youngster chased them so I ended up keeping them separate
1 alpaca was a sweet, funny friendly chap, the other a miserable baggage. Full brothers. By far the easiest creatures to care for in my mottly crew.

windswoo

Visit site
I'm planning on getting some to keep with my two horses, hoping that they will help keep the weeds down, but shouldn't have to put any extra fencing up as if had sheep I'd have to sheep fence the whole field. I think Alpacas are really cute and can't wait to have them.