Horsey items you've had your moneys worth from

Pippity

Visit site
Bought some cheap synthetic Harry Hall half-chaps when I came back to riding. That was getting on for fifteen years ago now, and they're still going strong. I used to be impatiently waiting for them to die so I could justify getting some nice, everyday riding boots, but now I'm dreading it. I don't think I'll find anything as comfortable and hard-wearing.

I've also got a navy fleece that I got free from Millets when I bought a backpack. That was a good twenty years ago, and it's gone everywhere with me - camel trekking in Syria and Jordan, sailing across the Atlantic, lots of horse riding (and horse falling off) - and the only reason it doesn't look as good as new is because my white cat keeps stealing it to sleep on so it's covered in white hair.

View

Visit site
My schooling whip - it was Dad’s before I was born, so that makes it over 52 years old.

My grooming kit - with the exception of the shedding blade, it all dates back to the mid 80s - even the hoof pick and folding hoof pick!

Libbygrey

Visit site
I have a Rambo wug that I must have had at least 15 years. ITS still as good as when I bought it. It has been well used and horses have lived out in it. It was expensive to buy originally but it is a brilliant rug and well worth the money

scruffyponies

Visit site
I bought a pony harness 20 years ago, second hand for £30. It's foreign leather, and needed a bit of stitching renewing on the traces, but was otherwise sound.

It got me into driving, has been my go-to driving harness for anything under 14hh ever since, covered hundreds of miles and given me countless hours of fun.

meltb

Visit site
a lovely sabre bridle, it's about 15-20 years old. amazing condition! i love it :)

also a mountain horse coat from the 90s, my mum got it for me when i was about 6/7 saying i'd grow into it (it was massive), sure enough i did!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yes like Auslander I think my best value purchase has been Kira, never thought £2 could be exchanged for so much enjoyment.

In terms of kit, my ancient mustang clippers rank pretty high, they were second hand when I got them over 20 years ago and haven't missed a beat. Likewise multiple second hand rambos. The mixed up cob/full sabre bridle that has fitted everything, and the Bromont boots that I've worn to death over about a decade ? I think they are about done now but not ready to give up on them yet

Frumpoon

Visit site
Must Snug blouson bought in 1993 which would still be going strong except Monster no.1 bit the sleeve which needs repairing and I've not got round to it

A hacking jacket bought for £6 from a charity shop in York in 1991 approx

Evie91

Visit site
Every winter I wear my Musto Snug coat every day to ride. I’ve had it since at least 1995. I got it in a sale, and even so nearly fainted at paying the price (can’t remember how much now) but it has been (and still is) wonderful.
I also have one - not as yours but must be about ten years old. Bought at Gatcombe in the sale and also had a little panic that I’d spent so much on a jacket. It‘s brilliant; waterproof, wind proof, washed most weeks, fits another jacket underneath for really cold- pretty much my year round horse coat! Money very well spent :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have a head collar that I use regularly. Bought it long before I got Thena, so over 20 years. It came free through a magazine and Cam equestrian catalogue, all you had to pay was postage. Fits anything, it's brilliant!

When we bought the first Clydesdale mare we bought her tack as well. We replaced the bridle but used the saddle all the time we had her (10 yrs) then the next Clydesdale wore it and in desperation when I was trying to find something to fit the Westphalian better than her own saddle did, we used the Clydie saddle for a few months, It fell apart eventually and we threw it out but it was obviously ancient. We had it for over 30 yrs and it certainly wasn't new when we bought it.

Mrs B

Visit site
A body brush from about 1970-something ... still in great condition and has one of those sticky labels on that you punched out with your pony's name ... belonging to our old Exmoor, Mustard. :)

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I still have a rubber curry comb and a hoof pick in my grooming bag from when I got my first pony back in 1972.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I haven't had it that long, 2 years, but someone put a saddle up for sale and couldn't be bothered to clean all the white hair off the velcro, so it went for much less than it was worth. It cleaned up nicely and now I need to sell it and I will make money on it. So I certainly got my moneys worth.

My first wheelbarrow is twenty nine this year and still going strong with a few welds. It's a bit faded, but aren't we all ? ?

Smiffypig

Visit site
Every winter I wear my Musto Snug coat every day to ride. I’ve had it since at least 1995. I got it in a sale, and even so nearly fainted at paying the price (can’t remember how much now) but it has been (and still is) wonderful.

I’ve also got a Musto Snug that must be at least 20 years old, I bought another one last year - there was literally nothing wrong with the old one, I just wanted a different colour and my original one just wouldn’t die!

I don’t think I’ll need to buy another yard jacket ever again!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
You lot do make me feel better at having not really got rid of anything much! Just in case.
I brought some girths back with me at Xmas to ebay, they are still under the sideboard!

Nt9

Visit site
A couple of polypads had for over 22years still look pretty good although I dont use them every day anymore.

claret09

Visit site
bought my jumping saddle brand new for £250 in 1981 and still use it. it is still in excellent condition. definitely good value for money. i also have a witney blanket exercise rug which came with my 13.2 pony although it was far too big for him in 1978 it was old when i had it. however, i have really looked after it. it is still going strong and is used regularly throughout the winter

Brownmare

Visit site
My mum bought my first pony for £200 and because the vendors were giving up horses she came with a headcollar, bridle, 2 saddles and a full grooming kit. Neither of the saddles actually fitted her so Mum took them to a local saddler to exchange for something better. One turned out to be quite rare and valuable so Mum ended up coming away with a new saddle plus £200! We had that pony for 19 years too, she taught me to ride, my mum to drive and was the best companion pony. Serious value for money there!!

My first pair of long leather riding boots came from a second hand tack stall at a show looking ancient with the colour rubbed off the inside calfs. I was 14 and they cost £50 but they fitted like they were made to measure, cleaned up beautifully and I wore them til I got pregnant at 29 and my legs, ahem, changed shape but they were still in good working order.

Oh, and I have a huge Stubbs bucket with rope handles on each side. That thing must be at least 30 years old and is in constant use for soaking hay or as a field water tub, it has even survived being used in the bull pen!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have several things that I've had for more than 35 years and are all in good shape: a leather headcollar that was my first stallion's (so that's nearly 40 years old), a couple of buckets that came back with me from when I had a stud farm in America, my old top hat from when I first rode at FEI level.....all from a long, long time ago that seems like yesterday.

Mule

Visit site
A body brush I bought 23 years ago. It's still in perfect condition.

Also, a Rambo rug that's 15 years old and has never needed reproofing. (It could probably do with it now though).

meleeka

Visit site
An in hand bridle that must be 40 years old. It’s not been used for the last 8 but I can’t bear to part with it.

Thermatex leg wraps, bought for my old pony second hand around 15 years ago and now used daily all winter on the next oldie. They must have been washed hundreds of times and still look good.

A Stubbs type feed scoop. I’ve had horses for 38 years and it was second hand then.

Kat

Visit site
Ah where to start......... I never throw stuff out!

When I was 13 or 14 my Mum bought me a long champion riding mac at the local tack shop's closing down sale. There were only a few left in odd sizes so she bought it big so I could grow into it. Over 25 years later it was still in good nick and only just about grown into when it was struck down in its prime, and I lost it in the Liverpool horse show fire.

My husband is still wearing a pair of saddlemaster jodhs that were the second pair he bought after starting riding. He reckons they are 20 years old, and he hasn't managed to find another pair he likes as much.

Oh and I have a plastic curry comb that I still use that was a gift from the owner of the riding school where I was a weekend helper as a kid.

cold_feet

Visit site
I also have one - not as yours but must be about ten years old. Bought at Gatcombe in the sale and also had a little panic that I’d spent so much on a jacket. It‘s brilliant; waterproof, wind proof, washed most weeks, fits another jacket underneath for really cold- pretty much my year round horse coat! Money very well spent :)
Now you’ve made me feel guilty, and maybe explained why my Musto coat has lasted 20+ years. I probably wash it once a year!

LiquidMetal

Visit site
I haven’t had anything for an exceptionally long time but 2 things I definitely got my money’s worth on are:
1. Round bale hay net. Have literally made our money back on hay savings since my husband bought it for me at Christmas. Not to mention the time I’ve saved picking up and cleaning up trodden on hay.
2. Took a bad fall last summer and landed on my back and smacked the back of my head. Put a dent in my helmet but my head was fine! I’m sure I must’ve had a concussion but was so mild, I felt no effects. Had to be replaced after but definitely felt I got my money’s worth out of it.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
In the olden days, I'm talking about 1970'ish, there was a riding-wear (mail order) firm called Jacatex.

My mum bought me a pair of their joddie boots, a hacking jacket in "herringbone lovat", and a pair of "riding trousers". All of which lasted me well through my teens. I eventually outgrew the boots alas, and the hacking jacket too, but the riding trousers were way too big for me when they arrived and so mum shortened them! But they then lasted me from about age 12 up to 16 or so!! And still they looked good! Took me all the way through Pony Club.

Sadly Jacatex were the victim of their own success and they went bust. Huge shame that. Their stuff did what it said on the tin and lasted well!