Horsey people being 'tougher' than normal folks...

horsemad32

Visit site
Was chatting about this on the yard yesterday. I've cheerfully jumped, schooled, hacked out etc with a variety of illnesses, concussion, the lot. One of the kids on the yard has been caring for her pony and doing groundwork again with a broken hand, is just allowed on again and despite it being painful due to lack of use, is grittily determined to keep at it. I can remember feeling so ill I could barely stand on many occasions, yet still managing to get my two cared for by myself, before going home and collapsing. And I'm sure most of you reading this could recount many similar stories!

By comparison, my 'normal' friends might cancel a day out because they've got a cold, or are a bit tired, or... And I'm sometimes left thinking 'what a wuss!'

So what makes us all harder and more resilient?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Or borderline psychotic...? :cool: :D

Every big show or event has a number of broken people wandering around :cool:

I did learn the hard way not to ride when ill, and certainly not jump! I came off and broke my back :(. Other than that, if I didn't have family and friends who help out when I'm damaged/ill, I'd be doing the horses come what may :cool:

Merlin11

Visit site
i think to have horses you have to be hardier than normal. many a time i have gone out to see to the horses in horrendous weather when i have been unwell myself. i currently have an ear infection and swollen glands but was out poo picking this am in wind and rain. probably a bit mad but maybe that is a trait of horsey people.

sarahann1

Visit site
We just get on with it. A lot of the horsey people I know are fiercely independent and asking for help just doesn't occur to them unless they have something hanging off!

I've seen me have to get hubby to drive me to the yard, then generally point me in the direction I needed to be going when I've been so ill my head is full of wool. No question of me not going though. It's caused more than one 'discussion' between me and hubby who hates me pushing myself over the limit of normal folks :)

Taisypops

Visit site
I def think horsey folk are the "just get on with it type" horse needs looking after regardless of what else is going on. Think this attitude spills over into the rest of your life. x

Florrie

Visit site
Because we have to tend to our babies in stables even when we're on the verge of death!
That includes smack bang in the middle of Winter with the flu.

:p

I had Pneumonia last year and a week/two after being out of hospital I was straight to the yard to see the horses.
Wrapped up in about 3 jackets, 2 layers jodhpurs and 3 layers of socks.

micramadam

Visit site
Truth is if we don't do it who will?

I've been injured a couple of times when no-one has been around and after pulling myself together finished what I had to do before going to be seen to.
Torn groin muscle - finished mucking out 3 horses stables. Dragged face first along a road (didn't want to let go of mare and foal as road led onto main road) - beautiful facial and leg injuries but still managed to take them to their field 300 metres away and came back and then realised I couldn't walk and face was a mess.:eek: Adrenalin is a wonderful drug!

horsemadelsie

Visit site
I think its having the horses that toughens you up- as a kid I was a wimp, I've ridden all my life but only owned horses for the last 7 years, like everyone else I'll go up to the yard regardless, even when I'm so dizzy I can hardly stand up- I was double-barrelled in the ribs by a 17hh youngster and still managed to finish my yard chores, and compete the next day (although I needed help getting on!) and I no longer notice when I'm minorly bleeding over things. Yet when I was a kid a splinter would have me in tears :eek: definitely having the horses and having to do the chores that makes you tough- having to survive the winters helps! :p

Serephin

Visit site
I hate the thought of other people tending to my horse - its a control thing I think!

When I have been really ill, the only thing that made me feel better was being up the yard with my horse. My Dad always used to drum into me as a kid 'animals first'.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Well we just get on with it because we have to. I had a very bad fall yesterday and can barely move my back hurts so much but I still managed to lunge the horse, put them all out (excitable 17hh youngsters) and I intend to do the same today. I won't ride for a couple of days, I physically can't get on a horse, but my boys will be looked after just the same. Luckily there's no one at home to yell at me for being so stupid :p

nikCscott

Visit site
I think its the same as being a Mum- my husband works abroad so it doesn't matter how ill or injured I am the children and horse still need looking after.

The horses are on wood pellets so may get only skipped out for a week and the house will be a tip but the horses, dogs, and children MUST be cared for so what can you do, but plough on!

taracrowe

Visit site
Hahaha I so agree with this I broke my foot on the morning of a hunt and still went.. I could barely get my swollen foot into the boot!! Hahahaha

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think its because of the responsibility. Whilst most of us have someone who could help in an emergency, I for one would need to be almost dead before I dumped my duties on someone else. There's been occasions too where if I didn't do it, nobody else would. And there's also the enjoyment vs the pain side, & usually the enjoyment wins. And I think those that don't have that attitude don't last long. Even at pro level, if they don't ride they don't earn so it has to be serious, & that applies to all the freelance horsey workers in the industry too. The odd time my daughters been ill I don't make her do her pony, but from an early age its been drummed into her that her animals are her responsibility, & from being 4/5 if she's unwell or at a friends etc she asks me to do them, rather than just assuming I will. We're mainly 'well 'ard' us horsey types. But some horse owners/ riders just aren't horsey people if you know what I mean, & they aren't as tough imo.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Because you have too really an non horses friend arrived during a flu outbreak to see if I was ok ( years ago before I had grooms ) to find me mucking out throwing up in the wheel barrow and lying on a new Zealand rug in a stable alternately ,I was mucking out a bit then being sick then feeling faint then having a lie on the new Zealand then starting agian she was horrified but it had to be done it was winter and that was that.
I have several really bad falls one resulting four years of surgerys I rode in between the ops if I could ,I think its because it's what I do ,who I am ,as I age to do think now and again who would I be if I stopped all this what would I do ?

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
We do always seem to just "get on" with things don't we ! I need the horsey routine in my life, and either take a paracetamol, strap my back up, take rescue remedy or grit my teeth when I'm not up to much - but am still there. :)

Visit site
Hi guys
When I was hacking out on Ella another horse spooked which made Ella buck and throw me off her, I landed on my side on gravel from about 8 foot in the air turns out I had ripped my kidney threw the fall! Still managed to get her back to the yard bathed her and feed her before passing out!! I had surgery on my kidney and was back up at the yard looking after her 2 days later!! Was back on her after 2 weeks. I think it's our pure love we have for them that doesn't give up xxx

vickyb

Visit site
For me it's because I don't like a fuss being made - also, as others have said, because there is often no option other than to carry on. I can vividly remember having to stop for bouts of vomiting while mucking out when suffering from some awful bug, never occurred to me to go and lie down instead. I remounted a horse (on the offside with my remaining good leg) after tearing a cruciate ligament - how else was I to get home? I couldn't walk! But, word of warning; I recently suffered a minor injury to a finger while lunging, even though I was wearing gloves. I ignored it. Result, one horrifically swollen finger, incipient blood poisoning and massive doses of antibiotics. Taught me to treat wounds with respect and keep them clean!

Mince Pie

Visit site
I remember a shift at work when there was another horsey girl in the pub. It was a quiet shift so we were chatting away and the conversation got round to the various horse-related injuries that we both had. My boss had come in behind whilst we were talking and was totally bemused as to why we still had the horses after hearing about the bad falls etc but as we both said, it's a way of life!

I think my best one was mucking out and bedding up 4 stables before admitting defeat and going to the osteopath as I couldn't stand up, luckily she understands as she has 3 of her own :D

ex racer rider

Visit site
thats what mega strong painkillers are for right? :D

Exactly! i broke my pelvis out xc (didnt realise till about 4 weeks after) and couldnt run in a straight line (hip/ muscle wouldnt let my leg go straight) but i still carried on breaking in stallions and schooling the arsey youngsters :rolleyes:

Ive been known to break a few fingers, get the tape/vetwrap out and carry on mucking out. My mare once flipped over onto her back in the stable and smushed my hands and arm against the wall, when she pulled away my fingers looked like skinless sausages! I gave them a rinse under the tap (full of grit) and bandaged her head up (she gouged a lump out of her poll) and creamed/washed he other scrubs. When i had finished with her i went to the hospital (after getting home and realising how bad they were) the nurse had to stitch a few up and paste iodine bandages on them as i had gone very deep. turns out i had broken 2 fingers (in a few places) but still asked her to bandage what fingers she could seperately so i could still do things and ride.

Not last winter but the one before (the horrendous one) i had swine flu and then bronchitis (sp?) and still walked to the yard (the car was under a snow drift) mucked the horses out, fed, hayed and watered and then walked back. :rolleyes:

as they say, "nowt' as queer as folk, cept' horsey folk" :D

nikCscott

Visit site
Exactly! i broke my pelvis out xc (didnt realise till about 4 weeks after) and couldnt run in a straight line (hip/ muscle wouldnt let my leg go straight) but i still carried on breaking in stallions and schooling the arsey youngsters :rolleyes:

Ive been known to break a few fingers, get the tape/vetwrap out and carry on mucking out. My mare once flipped over onto her back in the stable and smushed my hands and arm against the wall, when she pulled away my fingers looked like skinless sausages! I gave them a rinse under the tap (full of grit) and bandaged her head up (she gouged a lump out of her poll) and creamed/washed he other scrubs. When i had finished with her i went to the hospital (after getting home and realising how bad they were) the nurse had to stitch a few up and paste iodine bandages on them as i had gone very deep. turns out i had broken 2 fingers (in a few places) but still asked her to bandage what fingers she could seperately so i could still do things and ride.

Not last winter but the one before (the horrendous one) i had swine flu and then bronchitis (sp?) and still walked to the yard (the car was under a snow drift) mucked the horses out, fed, hayed and watered and then walked back. :rolleyes:

as they say, "nowt' as queer as folk, cept' horsey folk" :D

Wow! You're a hero!

As someone who suffers with pelvis issues after 2 babies in 12 months, and riding and yard work is really painful (but i just suck it up of course) I'm not sure i could do it with a broken pelvis! :eek:

ex racer rider

Visit site
Wow! You're a hero!

As someone who suffers with pelvis issues after 2 babies in 12 months, and riding and yard work is really painful (but i just suck it up of course) I'm not sure i could do it with a broken pelvis! :eek:

Hero? naaaah, just bloody daft! (and young, suppose that helps a little)
It was great fun watching me run! but that did hurt tbh, however funnily enough when i was riding it didnt really hurt. I assume thats because my core muscles were engaged etc (not totaly sure?) but everything else in between hurt, god forbid i rolled over in bed or laid funny! now that would have me close to tears :eek:

Visit site
Have had horse stand on foot and broken it but still hobbled up and down tracks poo picking and water carrying because no one else to do it. Also I have found that since packing up work and being out in all weathers looking after animals I have not had a bad cold or flu for years ! Also when snow has been really bad and horses miles away "up country" have driven up twice a day despite being terrified of driving in icy conditions.

FluffyFeathers

Visit site
On a particularly cold day I was throwing muck up into the trailer at a very large school yard. Trailer got full so climbed up to rearrange said muck and caught my hand on the edge, thought "ouch", and ripped my glove, so put spare gloves on and carried on. Went into office to make a sneeky brew and as hand warmed up pain came back and took glove off to reveal a hanging flap of skin on my hand full of poop... :( stitches a tetanus and antibiotics were administered when YO dragged me straight to a&e.

showpony

Visit site
Definately! On my last trip to the doctor after my latest fall - he had a student with him & Doc said to student that he has utter admiration for riders & thinks they are some of the toughest sports people