Horsey people being 'tougher' than normal folks...

skint1

Visit site
Horse people/anyone with livestock are among the most stoical that I know, I know many in real life and online who continue on through illness, disability and injury that would have other people staying in their beds, I guess horses are a great motivator in that way, they certainly have been for me.

I'm supposed to be having keyhole surgery on Monday and not meant to do anything strenuous for 2 weeks after, which seems such a waste when I will be signed off work for that time, so much potential horse time there :D. I've never had surgery so don't know what to expect but considering I've cared for the horses through having a persistent chest infection for 3 months, pancreatitis and prolonged gall bladder attacks I will give it my best shot.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I can relate to Goldenstars experience. When you're so ill that if someone said you can lie down & rest in a frozen water trough or a cold concrete floor instead of doing jobs you'd be eternally grateful. My usual practice for defining a fracture is to put all my weight on it, if its a sudden shooting pain then assume its broke. If its just painful then painkillers do. And if something is agony after strong painkillers, you need a&e. Done plenty of stuff myself but toughest thing I've seen was a friend years ago. Out riding her young horse managed to mangle her leg against a metal post. It ripped her leather boots around the ankle & we also thought it looked badly sprained & maybe even a hairline fracture. As we were miles from anywhere & mobiles weren't common, we had little choice, I led her horse from mine. She was deathly white & kept asking how far to go, but remained upright & agreed to a slow sitting trot to get back quicker. Got back to yard & she gave a small cry when yo lifted her off. Only when paramedics came did we realise how bad she was. She had visible bones poking out when her boot was cut off, & her blood had pooled in the boot. They were suprised that she hadn't fainted from blood loss, let alone pain. She ended up with multiple surgeries & blood transfusions, how on earth she managed to make it back a few miles, mainly in trot is beyond me even now. With hindsight, she probably was partly unconscious. Still, even paramedics said the alternative of leaving her alone while riding for help wouldn't have been a good choice either. Thank heaven for mobiles these days!

Wozpril

Visit site
Just reading this thread makes me feel so bad. I'm currently laid up at home with a broken leg, plastered up to my hip. (riding accident!) No chance of driving, even getting around the house is
difficult. I'm 5 weeks in and have at least another 7 to go. :( I would give anything to be back on my feet. My daughter and non horsey OH are doing the horses along with help from the others at the yard. I feel incredibly depressed and out of control. In 23 yrs of horse ownership I've never had to rely on anyone and it's horrible.
Can't wait I'm back. I'll never moan about poo picking in the rain again! :)

Orangehorse

Visit site
I was mucking out with a broken rib - it wasn't too bad if I was upright! I did go to the doc's for some stronger painkillers though.

Someone's son broke his collarbone when skiing, and I said something like "nothing too serious then" (very common for riders/jockeys) and got a very frosty answer!!!!

LynH

Visit site
I have a long term illness after a horrendous allergy reaction to prescription medication almost 10years ago. I was lucky to survive but my lungs, sinuses, eyes and alot of nerves have been damaged. If it wasn't for my horses and the determination to keep them I don't know how I would have got through the past few years. But also if I didn't have such amazing horsey friends who have gone above and beyond to help me I could never have done it alone. Horses are an incredible motivator and need you no matter how you feel. I live on fentanyl a drug stronger than morphine and complain to my doctors that it makes me tired, to which I'm told most people can't even get out of bed on that dose let alone ride and look after horses. Long term illness can be very depressing but having horses gives you a reason to get on with it.
I'll be eternally grateful to my horsey friends who have helped me over the years so I can keep my horses and occasionally compete as that's what keeps me going rather than just accepting my limitations and staying indoors all day. It's not just the horses it's the whole social aspect that makes us happy to be at the stables no matter how ill we feel or broken we get.

skint1

Visit site
Oh bless you LynH, I bet you're friends are proud and happy to help you because you sound like a brave and determined person, and Wozpril I am so sorry to hear about your leg, I can imagine how frustrated you feel, hopefully you can shave a bit of time off the end of the next 7 weeks somehow

flump

Visit site
I think my worst one was the really bad winter 2/3 years ago when I had swine flu-tummy bug and bladder infection and 25 horses to do! I don't really remember it that well I wad out of it!

Feathered

Visit site
I had a phase a few years ago of visiting the a&e rather alot and I got taken into a room and quizzed by this woman who obviously thought I was the victim of domestic abuse!

I was like, no, really it's just my horse beating me up!

MissMay

Visit site
My worst was last year. Surgery followed by Chemo and radiation and I still rode and competed my horses even on the days I had chemo I still managed to ride in the morning.

Oberon

Visit site
When I was 18 I fell off and went blind for a bit and think I broke ribs.

Hubby stood by helpless and begged me to leave Obi in the stable (it was empty of bedding, water or hay) and get to the hospital.

I refused and insisted on leading him to the field and turning him out for the night - even though I had to almost crawl to do it :D.

Then I stayed home, slept it off and went to work at the stables the next day (couldn't do much than wander around...I couldn't bend or turn :rolleyes:) :eek: Never went to hospital - but it took almost a year for my ribs to stop cracking when I did a girth up :confused:

Have to say that horsey people MUST remember to be truthful to Drs about what hurts.

Drs and nurses aren't used to horsey people or their toughness and it confuses them. Hence injuries can get missed.

For future reference - yes you DO need it Xrayed. Just because you've been walking around for a week before seeking help doesn't mean you aren't broken :confused: :D

MrsElle

Visit site
It's a control thing with me, and the fact I don't like to ask anyone for help.

I suffered crush injuries to my legs in a horsey accident, plus got kicked on the shoulder in the same incident. Crutches were a struggle as my shoulder was sore, but dosed myself up with painkillers and got OH to sort the ponies out with me stood on one leg hanging onto a fence with my good arm while shouting at him what to do :D I also got OH to take me to work (lower leg a mess and unable to drive or weight bear on one leg), work were gobsmacked and couldn't believe I went in in such a state.

Had my appendix out last year, three days in hospital and on day 5 I poo picked the field. Not the best decision I have ever made in hindsight, but it needed doing!

I also had quite a bad fall while rock climbing and smashed my face into a large face of gritstone. I turned up at work looking like a toddler who had fallen over, big scab on my nose, black eyes and a huge scab on my chin. All the women said they would have had to hide at home and not set foot outdoors until their faces had healed.

Jackson

Visit site
Some of you are insane, that is all.

Oberon, I think it was you who convinced me to go re-visit a&e when I got trodden on? :p
The man who put me in plaster told me that he would never, ever let his daughter near a horse :( I also got a telling off when I returned with a vetwrap bandage but without the cast so that I could ride easier, naturally) But that was entirely my mothers idea!

Nothing compared to riding with a broken pelvis or leg (!!!) but I faceplanted once when a non horsey friend was watching. There was a reasonable amount of blood coming out of my nose and she was disgusted and all for going to hospital when I shoved some tissue up there and climbed back on to sort nag out :eek:

I also rode after having an operation to uncover a buried tooth/abscess thing in my mouth which in hindsight was not so clever because I learned after that I should still have been doped up and firmly asleep in bed...

jodie3

Visit site
I think Mrs Elle is right about the control thing, not liking to ask for help or admit we can't do something, not liking being fussed over and most importantly not beleiving anyone can look after our beloved horses as well as we can!

I had a serious accident when my youngster kicked me in the face and broke my nose, cheek bones and my upper jaw. The YO the next morning said she could see what I had done - put headcollars away, locked tackroom and field and yard gates - by following the trail of blood. I knew I needed help but the yard was difficult to describe how to get too and I couldn't speak very well as my jaw was somewhat rearranged so didn't want to ring for an ambulance. Tried ringing various friends and family but noone was answering their phone so I did actually consider driving home but luckily my son and ex husband saved the day.

Oberon

Visit site
Oberon, I think it was you who convinced me to go re-visit a&e when I got trodden on? :p
The man who put me in plaster told me that he would never, ever let his daughter near a horse :( I also got a telling off when I returned with a vetwrap bandage but without the cast so that I could ride easier, naturally) But that was entirely my mothers idea!

I think A&Es need a 'Horse Rider Protocol' where they get full body Xrays whether anything hurts or not :D

skint1

Visit site
I think A&Es need a 'Horse Rider Protocol' where they get full body Xrays whether anything hurts or not :D

Lol, after reading some of your experiences I would fully agree, I guess to some extent pain levels and tolerances can be subjective, but don't ignore stuff that goes on too long or seems weird, always seek medical attention in those circumstances, you never know that trip to the docs could save your life.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Definitely! I've been known to go to work as oppose to A&E (when really the latter would have been a better idea...), worked through torn ligaments and bad gravel burn and soft tissue damage (on my feet all day), and I've never called in sick. Compare this to the wusses that call in the moment they have a sniffel or a hangover!

mandyroberts

Visit site
Picture this. Girls holiday for 5, 4 of us horsey. Girl 5 (non-horsey) arrives by pool with plaster on leg. Others query plaster - she scraped her leg the day before. Plaster removed forcibly by horsey girls. Did she get some abuse or what!

Gingey

Visit site
Picture this. Girls holiday for 5, 4 of us horsey. Girl 5 (non-horsey) arrives by pool with plaster on leg. Others query plaster - she scraped her leg the day before. Plaster removed forcibly by horsey girls. Did she get some abuse or what!

Lol love this :D

Definitely agree that it's generally a case of 'needs must'- none of us want to leave our horses in the care of someone else...!
And I'd also say, in the case of immediately post-accident bravery, shock definitely plays a large part...
My 'spectacular injury story': I got kicked in the head last year when bringing in (no hat). Walked horse down from the paddocks and put in stable, shut door, put hand to head and realised that my head wasn't particularly intact and was bleeding pretty impressively! Straight after that the pain kicked in and I don't remember much about the journey to the hospital. Amazing what shock can do, though- it really did not sink in that I was quite badly injured until I'd put the horse away.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I went to my GP recently, about a strange lump on the plam of my hand. The GP started off by looking at the callus below my index finger, so had to be directed to the 'proper' lump at the base of my little finger :D He then said he cannot understand horse people and our inability to look after ourselves.

Chestnut mare

Visit site
Its because we have to-dont like to burden other people and cant bare to not see our horses for a day :). My friend still carried on doing the horses even poo picked the field that our horses share at 9 months pregnant. Another girl 6months pregnant given up any 6.30 finishes and will onl stay till 3.30! She has been very fragile throughout whole (uncomplicated-healthy) pregnancy. Horsey friend also was working up to the day before she had her son! Two totally different people.

Sarah1

Visit site
Because we're out in all weathers taking care of the little darlings! :rolleyes: And the higher up the ladder you get the tougher you become! :)
Not all horsey people are the same though, I know a few that are every bit as weak as non-horsey people!!!!!!!

riding_high

Visit site
one of the many things i've done is go to a show with a badly burnt/cut hand, i was camping in the field with my horses the night before a show (i was 13yrs old!) and because my one pony was hard to catch i tethered him for the night.
we got up in the morning and found someone had untied him (great thanks for that!) so had to try and catch him again, managed to catch him and all i could find was some blue rope so thought i'd tie that to the headcollar to lead him back across the field, he took off and me being pig headed i kept hold of the rope which wrapped round my hand and sliced into it, blood everywhere and it swelled up but i still took my other pony to a show (6 miles away) and got the first aid people to bandage it up for me before i went into the class. got a 1st then hacked home and went to A&E after!

i learnt my lesson that day and never use blue rope to handle a horse! :D

nikCscott

Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me if the A&E staff had an acronym for us lot- maybe - SFHF Standard For Horsey Folk!

After Z double barrelled me in the head in a loading/not loading accident I had already re caught him and loaded him before i was aware that my face and shoulder were wet (with blood) :eek:, I was still all for taking him to dressage and riding 2 tests.

It was only when i looked in the lorry wing mirror and my stock was bright red I though I can't compete looking like that that so I unloaded him and and got him put away safely, drove myself to A&E.

It must have all been adrenaline as when i got through the doors i just dropped, staff couldn't believe that i'd waited so long and not called an ambulance. I kept crying the whole time in there, so they'd ask if i need more pain relief and doing extra scans etc but it was only that I had a beautifully turned out horse in the stable, 2 dressage tests committed to memory and a ruined stock :eek::(

Merrymoles

Visit site
Maybe it's partly because we are so used to all the minor injuries and discomfort that comes with horses (I'm thinking scrapes, bruises, being cold and wet six months of the year, backache from shoving heavy barrows of poo through muddy fields, hay rash from stacking bales etc), that would have other people reaching for the aspirin or gin!
My injuries have been minor compared to some on here but include stabbing my hip with my car keys through about four layers (and breaking a finger) when horse fell on the road and coming off after some tw*t lit a firework behind horse and then walking a couple of miles before riding the last four home with a leg that subsequently turned black from the knee down - still didn't go to A&E on the basis that I could, sort of, walk!

mynutmeg

Visit site
I badly broke both ankles coming off my horse (graphic warning - my foot was a right angles to the side of my leg, round to the side) and apparently I tried to stand up - I don't remember that bit :)

I spent 3 months with both casts but was up helping look after my horse after 2-3 weeks using a wheelchair to get around, admittedly I did need some help with most of it.
Since then I've had multiple surgeries and have long term problems such that walking is pretty painful, doesn't stop me looking after my horse and riding tho.
After one surgery I was in cast with one leg and on crutches, my mare went lame and needed to be on box rest and my only usual helper was in hospital so I looked after my mare on box rest whilst on crutches, including lugging water - the only thing I couldn't do was empty the wheelbarrow which my mom helped with (she's disabled so can't do a huge amount herself)

I think the only time I've not done my horses myself was when I had a really bad dose of flu this winter and just sitting was hard work and made me struggle to breath, going to the yard was out of the question - I had anough bother stopping my mom calling an ambulance :D Luckly I'm now on a fab yard who do full livery.

I think a big part of the reason horsey and live stock people are so much tougher is that we have living beings relying on us for their welfare and so we just have to get on with it. I will admit I can be a wuss, if I don't know whats making me hurt then I tend to worry but once I know it's not something serious then I just get on with it :)

Autumn sonnet

Visit site
Totally agree with getting on with it , because no one else will . Have been known to muck out , exercise, hay up and groom all five of mine stuck indoors over the last two winters despite having pneumonia . Well , at least the horses were nice and warm to lean on ..... Plus all the usual dramatic lumps , bumps , cuts and bruises etc .

However , have also been known to empty a stable and refill with clean bedding , do the hay and feed , and set up ready for the night , then tidy the muck heap by jumping up and down repeatedly on it , in between 5 minute contractions . I put them down to usual twinges , until the YO took one look at me bent double and SCREAMED for someone to call an amblance . Apparently he only delivers sheep ......... !

Visit site
Maybe it's because we know that no one else could possibly look after our beasts quite as well as we do ourselves and can only be trusted with minor bits and bobs when absolutely, totally and utterly needed?

Thankfully I have never been seriously injured and I don't plan on being as I would be totally screwballed! My other theory is that if I can do my own horses then I can go to work. I have had horrendous flu upon occassion and wrapped up in thermals, jods, jeans, 3 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of padded waterproofs, thermal top, wool turtle neck jumped, polo shirt, jumper, fleece, thick jacket, down filled body warmer, 3 pairs of gloves and 2 wooly hats on - all at the same time! Granted I didn't ride whilst like it but I did everything else. The most annoying thing about my random flu/fever bouts? They usually happen in mid-summer when everyone else is walking around in shorts and t-shirts and I am wrapped up like an eskimo and I am still cold!

As I say I won't always ride as my own at home are show horses that don't need worked everyday and at work there will always be someone else who is able to take on your rides as it is just plain dangerous attempting to work a racehorse when the world is blurry and spinning.